Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Shirley Temple Collections - any owners?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-04-07, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the quality of these Fox collections. Were the transfers done with care or should I wait and hope for a better set?
Old 12-05-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Own them, haven't watched them yet. I will try to get to a few of them and give you an answer.
Old 12-05-07, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

I am a big fan of little Shirley and I have all that Fox has released. The quality is very good, and, these of course have both the black and white and colorized versions and the color versions look very good as well.

The best looking prints so far released are :

CAPTAIN JANUARY, DIMPLES, JUST AROUND THE CORNER, LITTLE MISS BROADWAY, REBECCA OF SUNNYBROOK FARM. LITTLE PRINCESS, THE BLUEBIRD.

The others,they do look good but, the prints for the titles I mentioned are the best looking.

What Fox needs to do is truly work on all their Shirley films as after all she deserves it as SHE is the one who saved Fox as if it were not for her, there would be no 20th Century Fox at all!

It would be great if they could get Shirley to do commentaries for the films as it would be fun to hear her talk about making them all and, sadly, She will be 80 years old come April.

But anyways, these 5 volumes that have been released by Fox so far are worth having. And WHY IS FOX TAKING SO LONG TO RELEASE VOLUME 6??!!

There are 5 films left to release so, it seems they should just release all 5 together in a box set. The 5 volumes had 3 films each.
Old 12-05-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've got the first 3 box sets. they look good, but nothing worth falling over about. pick them up
Old 12-05-07, 05:56 PM
Banned

My wife picked up a 12 disc box set at Costco last year (maybe a Costco exclusive?) and they have what I would consider great transfers for films from that era. No extras to speak of, but my wife is a fan of the films and that's all she cares about... the movie.
Old 12-05-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I saw "The Little Colonel" and "the Littlest Rebel" recently, and movies like that would have been protested at the theaters if made today. Even back then, black folk were treated pretty poorly in those movies.
Old 12-06-07, 09:13 AM

Thanks all, I ordered the first 3 this morning. May have to pressure my daughter to let me watch them after Christmas.