Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wish me luck - seeing my first Tool show tomorrow night!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-04-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot wait for this. I've been wanting to see these guys since I was 15. It's been a long decade and a half. Any tips?
Old 12-04-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Good luck.
Old 12-04-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Hmm not sure. The first Tool show I went to (for Lateralus) was a complete trip, it was more a moving art exhibit than a concert. The second tool show I went to (a year later) was more your standard concert.

Tis a tough call, but I'm sure alcohol helps .
Old 12-04-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like it'll be an art show - all reviews have been raving about the lights/lasers. I'm just looking forward to the Danny/opening band drummer drum off during Lateralus!
Old 12-04-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do you need luck? do you not have tickets yet?
Old 12-04-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll play Third Eye. Not thats a trip.
Old 12-04-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
why do you need luck? do you not have tickets yet?
Nope - got tickets as soon as they went on sale. I need luck to make sure I get into my seat before they start.

Here's the setllist they've been playing this leg of the tour. Can't wait to hear Flood!

Jambi
(-) ions (briefly)/Stinkfist
Forty-six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Old 12-04-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Saw them on the last leg. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days was about 1/2 hour long.
Old 12-04-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Saw them on the last leg. Wings for Marie/10,000 Days was about 1/2 hour long.
As long as the dickheads on the floor don't throw shit at the band it will be. I guess at the show a couple nights ago they cut this combo down to just Wings Pt 1 because of the idiots at the show.
Old 12-04-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Any tips?
Tape it. Video preferred.
Old 12-04-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any tips?
brace yourself to be really bored by the pretentiousness of this band. they make a melvins concert seem energetic.
Old 12-04-07, 08:46 PM

As long as the dickheads on the floor don't throw shit at the band it will be. I guess at the show a couple nights ago they cut this combo down to just Wings Pt 1 because of the idiots at the show.
I never understood this behavior. You pay to go to a concert I'm assuming to see the headlining band and you throw shit at them. WTF?

Well you can wish me luck as well. Going to see my first Tool show on the 10th at the Nokia Theatre in LA.
Old 12-04-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
brace yourself to be really bored by the pretentiousness of this band. they make a melvins concert seem energetic.
Having seen Tool a total of five times...disregard this. Think of a Tool show as more than a rock concert and you will be pleased. I have found those who dislike Tool tend to be typical metalheads who dislike anything but the typical grunt and shred.
Old 12-05-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decadance
Having seen Tool a total of five times...disregard this. Think of a Tool show as more than a rock concert and you will be pleased. I have found those who dislike Tool tend to be typical metalheads who dislike anything but the typical grunt and shred.

yup, you got me!
Old 12-05-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Having seen Tool 3 times, and having a fairly broad range of musical tastes, I found the last concert (the tour before this most recent one) to be

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
I ended up leaving and hitting up a bar. If you've never seen Tool, I imagine it could be a decent show, although my girlfriend hated it, and it was her first time. I far prefer waiting for the bootlegs to surface, and watching those at home.

The only thing I like about Tool anymore, is how each one of their albums have a different tour setup. However, each one of those tours for a particular album is almost exactly the same.

Also, when your songs are 10+ minutes long, NOT counting the interludes/fucking around, how about playing longer than 80 min? This is their 3rd (?) tour for 10,000 Days, and they are still playing the same setlist, not giving a shit about their earlier albums.

Yes, good luck. I hope you enjoy it a hell of a lot more than me and my friends did. From the discussions we've had afterwards, most of us will never pay the $50+ base price for a Tool ticket again.
Old 12-05-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to this show as well. I've seen them a handful of times the past 10 (almost exactly) years and I guarantee if you are a even remotely invested fan in them you will like it. Things can drag on, and they aren't the most "energetic" band on stage, per se, but it is a great show if you love the music. The last time I saw them (at the Gorge in Washington) had an excellent light show; one of the best I've seen.

My only worry is that the Memorial Coliseum doesn't have that great of acoustics. Never the less, today is my 25th birthday and tomorrow is essentially a gift to myself, so I'm going to enjoy it!

I know they tend to play similar songs throughout their tour(s) for each album, but I'm excited to see flood and 10,000 days during this leg, as those weren't played the last time they were around here and they are two of my favorites.
Old 12-05-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing as how Decadance has seen Tool with me at least twice I think, if not three times, I'm suprised how he can say this. One show Maynard had his back to the crowd the entire show and stayed by the drumkit and never moved. Granted it was one show in 4 or 5, but it screamed pretentious to me. I still enjoy the band's music, but not sure I'd go see them live again.
Old 12-05-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tool is one of my all time favorite bands and I love their music, but I have to echo the same sentiments as mndtrp, dgmayor, and Hollowgen... I guess its just a case of to each their own in terms of live shows.
Old 12-05-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going there not expecting to see energy from the band like the Dropkick Murphy's have I know it'll be a laid back show for me. Knowing the music and just seeing these guys play it live will kick ass for me. I don't care that Adam will be standing still or Maynard will be cloaked in shadow.

I will agree with the setlist thing - I can imagine they get bored as fuck playing the exact same sequence night after night. So why not throw something else in the mix from time to time?

Regardless - I've been waiting for this a long time, I know I won't be disappointed by the band. By the fans & the acoustics maybe, but not the band.
Old 12-05-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like it's from a long time ago, but likely just like what it was like last night.

Breaking News on the opening band - TU (Pat Mastelotto and Trey Gunn from King Crimson) will be opening the show early tonight in Portland at the Memorial Coliseum, so you might want to get there sooner than later.
Old 12-05-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Not a long time ago, that's from last night.
Old 12-05-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the wrong date - that was very good quality!
Old 12-05-07, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

I went last night and the opening band started pretty early and had a short set, played maybe 3-4 songs. The band TransAM played after them for about half an hour. It was my first Tool show and was very different from what I'm used to. Very laid back and more for the light show and video than being energetic. Still fun and the visuals were awesome.
Old 12-05-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ziggen
I went last night and the opening band started pretty early and had a short set, played maybe 3-4 songs. The band TransAM played after them for about half an hour. It was my first Tool show and was very different from what I'm used to. Very laid back and more for the light show and video than being energetic. Still fun and the visuals were awesome.
Was the first opener TU?
Old 12-05-07, 03:57 PM
Cool New Member

Was the first opener TU?
I really don't know the name of the first band. There was a drummer and a guitar player. The guitar was very effects heavy and they did come out later and played for a while with Tool.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.