Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cosby Show fans -- a question about Theo's education?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a dumb thread, but since I can be a dumb person at times, something has been on my mind after reviewing the Cosby Show DVDs...

It was well known that Theo was a pretty terrible student in High School with a D-level average. Years later, we would find out this involved a learning disability, but this was completely unknown until Theo's second year in college. Jumping the shark could have something to do with it as well.

However, something is on my mind... How in the world did Theo ever get admitted to NYU to begin with? Did Cliff and Clair pay his way in?

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 12-03-07 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I remember he did have dyslexia on the show. I have to say, I don't quite remember what happened when in regards to the show, as I think I watched it more in reruns than in the original run of the series.

It isn't explained at all in the eps on the dvd's? What happens, he just gets an acceptance letter or something?
Old 12-03-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
How in the world did Theo ever get admitted to NYU to begin with?
The NYU Admissions people looked at more than Theo's (poor) academic performance, and were persuaded to admit him based on his application essay in which he explained that he was a fictional character on a TV show, and that he wasn't actually going to attend NYU, but just name-drop the school in front of 30 million viewers every week.
Old 12-03-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 12-03-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I always wondered the same thing myself acutally,
Old 12-03-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In that same vein, how did the Skipper remain as heavy as he was for the entire 15 years the passengers and crew of the S.S. Minnow were stranded on a remote island with nothing to eat except fish, fruits, and vegetables?
Old 12-03-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
It was well known that Theo was a pretty terrible student in High School with a D-level average. Years later, we would find out this involved a learning disability, but this was completely unknown until Theo's second year in college. Jumping the shark could have something to do with it as well.

However, something is on my mind... How in the world did Theo ever get admitted to NYU to begin with? Did Cliff and Clair pay his way in?
I didn't know any of this... but I suppose the question that leaps to *my* mind is: How did it take them 20 years to figure out that he had a learning problem?

His dad and mom are both intelligent professionals and VERY dedicated to their family. The let the son just coast with Ds into *college* without ever trying to figure out if something was wrong?

Dr. H should have put down the pudding pops for a few minutes and had a chat w/his son.
Old 12-03-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is harder to explain than the question of why Uncle Phil didn't pick up Will at the airport. Perhaps someone at a Cosby Show convention would know?
Old 12-03-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
affirmative action?
Old 12-03-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't know any of this... but I suppose the question that leaps to *my* mind is: How did it take them 20 years to figure out that he had a learning problem?

His dad and mom are both intelligent professionals and VERY dedicated to their family. The let the son just coast with Ds into *college* without ever trying to figure out if something was wrong?

Dr. H should have put down the pudding pops for a few minutes and had a chat w/his son.
He was too busy trying to check Theo for hidden piercings.
Old 12-03-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Forget Theo, how the hell did Zach Morris get into Stansbury? Because he got a 1502 on the SATs? His grades must have sucked and it's not like he had any extracurricular activities. I guess he had Zack Attack but I was never clear if that actually happened or if it was a dream sequence. AC Slater lettered in 73 different sports, I thought he'd have a better chance of sneaking in.
Old 12-03-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
In that same vein, how did the Skipper remain as heavy as he was for the entire 15 years the passengers and crew of the S.S. Minnow were stranded on a remote island with nothing to eat except fish, fruits, and vegetables?
I believe his favorite meal was trouser trout smothered in ginger...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-03-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
On that note, how did the ENTIRE clique from Boy Meets World get accepted and agree to go to the same school? I know Topanga did so for Cory's sake, and Shawn is a given, but the other 3 or so people?!
Old 12-03-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
This is harder to explain than the question of why Uncle Phil didn't pick up Will at the airport. Perhaps someone at a Cosby Show convention would know?
You know, this was one of the panels at CosCon '07 in San Diego. Not one of the ones I went to though.
Old 12-03-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert

That really rubbed me the wrong way when they did that. It would have been far more interesting to admit that these two intelligent parents had a son that was just dumber than a stump, but they loved him anyways.

Definite jump the shark moment.
Old 12-03-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cleaver
Forget Theo, how the hell did Zach Morris get into Stansbury? Because he got a 1502 on the SATs? His grades must have sucked and it's not like he had any extracurricular activities. I guess he had Zack Attack but I was never clear if that actually happened or if it was a dream sequence. AC Slater lettered in 73 different sports, I thought he'd have a better chance of sneaking in.
He never went to Stansbury, he went to Cal U.
Old 12-03-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Definite jump the shark moment.
No, that would be Cousin Pam's arrival.
Old 12-03-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys
No, that would be Cousin Pam's arrival.
Oh, Lance.

(Yes, I know that was not Pam but her friend. No Pam=no friend.)
Old 12-03-07, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cleaver

You are wrong my friend. Zach Morris played for the basketball team until Mr Belding injured him in the locker room. He was also a stellar runner for the Track team before the Native American he was doing a project on died. Zach also did color commentary and play by play for Tiger Radio and was also DJ for the same station. He also participated in student body meetings and did a lot of planning for Bayside dances, including the Harvest dance and the costume ball.

He had a well rounded resume of extra-curricular activities.
Old 12-03-07, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
He never went to Stansbury, he went to Cal U.

But he was accepted into both Stansbury and Yale.
Old 12-03-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Zack was also in the choir and co-wrote the new school song
Old 12-03-07, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
This is harder to explain than the question of why Uncle Phil didn't pick up Will at the airport.
Asked and answered (by mullivan) almost two years ago ... and then goes on for five and a half more pages.

Why didn't Uncle Phil pick up Will from the airport? (from January 2006)
Old 12-03-07, 10:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow.

Fresh Prince, Cosby, Boy Meets World, Saved By The Bell...this thread will be epic.

Excuse for me a minute why I go AC Slater in the bathroom.
Old 12-03-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
You are wrong my friend. Zach Morris played for the basketball team until Mr Belding injured him in the locker room. He was also a stellar runner for the Track team before the Native American he was doing a project on died. Zach also did color commentary and play by play for Tiger Radio and was also DJ for the same station. He also participated in student body meetings and did a lot of planning for Bayside dances, including the Harvest dance and the costume ball.

He had a well rounded resume of extra-curricular activities.
And he was the producer of a video yearbook.
Old 12-03-07, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by digidoh
Asked and answered (by mullivan) almost two years ago ... and then goes on for five and a half more pages.

Why didn't Uncle Phil pick up Will from the airport? (from January 2006)
It's a shame how quickly everyone forgets. I better go bump the FPoBA Convention thread. I've been meaning to update everyone on details for next year's event anyway (although if the turn out was as poor as this year's showing, we may need to make this a bi-annual affair.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.