Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirated DTS DVDs Everywhere!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-03-07, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a handful of dvds years ago that, at the time, normally only came with the dvd and cover art, but if I paid more, they would come with a case and sealed. I'm pretty sure they were hand sealed, because I saw the guy's eBay account, and he purchased loads of sheets.

Anyway, they all look legit, but they all have a blue banner at the top that says DTS Digital Surround Sound in red. However, years later, I noticed on ONE of them, somebody screwed up majorly. My copy of Run Ronnie Run is cut different than the normal cover and says right on the front..."The Ultimate Spoof on Reality Starring David GROSS from Mr. Show. David GROSS!? Cross maybe??? Well, they got his name right on the back part, but the very top saysReality TV gets a raelity check... WHAT? Holywood on one line and Hollywood on another???

Any insight to where these things even came from? I remember at the time, I thought of staring a dvd business and got promos from overseas that I knew were bootlegs just due to either poor quality or missing menus. I have a Tomb Raider that is missing the Korn video. Says it's there, but can't click it.

I had a copy of Freddy vs Jason that had a special feature that you click and showed a nice ensamble of pretty music and arial shots of waterways and houses. What the hell? This came from the same place and said DTS too!

Anyone know what this stuff is?? Just curious. I saw sites before that sold ORIGINAL DVD-9...which I've read is actually offshore bootlegs. I never bought from those either. Everyone likes being a pirate.

Obviously, I don't buy from any random distributors anymore. :\
Old 12-03-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McButton
Anyone know what this stuff is??
That's a tough one. Gosh. They sure seem legit!
Old 12-03-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait a minute....

...DVD's get pirated?
Old 12-03-07, 09:29 AM

Bootleg DVD from Southeast Asia, specially China, has been out there for many years. It is widely known (reported in national news) and not new news.

Yes, you can see some real strange/funky things on those disc. After all, they are not legal and you don't expect professional quality control... in many case, you can tell the people who made it barely know English.

Yes, stay away from suspecible sources, specially Ebayer from Oversea.

Last edited by tsetse27; 12-03-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have any docks or ports near me, so I don't have to worry about pirates.

Or do I?
Old 12-04-07, 01:17 AM

You ever wake up with parrot poop at the end of your bed?
Old 12-04-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread would have been awesome on "Talk like a pirate day".

I recall seeing an obvious pirated DVD of either the first or second Harry Potter movie. The cover looked just like the regular one (but with some Chinese characters on the front) but the entire description on the back of the DVD was for a completely different movie. Who knew Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni were in Harry Potter!
Old 12-04-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Why do people say "DVD-9" is a bootleg.
Old 12-04-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One example why:

9.9999999 times out of 10, if there's some kind of "DVD-9" sticker/marking on the cover, it's a bootleg. Just it being a DVD-9 does not.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 12-04-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-04-07, 02:44 PM

For some unknow reason, in China they market due-layer DVD (DVD-9) as a "special" feature, in comparsion to DVD-5.

The same movie can be released on both DVD-5 and DVD-9 edition separately, and DVD-9 sale at a higher price.

That is why all the packaging specificly states it is "DVD-9".
Old 12-04-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsetse27
Bootleg DVD from Southeast Asia, specially China, has been out there for many years. It is widely known (reported in national news) and not new news.

Yes, you can see some real strange/funky things on those disc. After all, they are not legal and you don't expect professional quality control... in many case, you can tell the people who made it barely know English.

Yes, stay away from suspecible sources, specially Ebayer from Oversea.
Yeah, I saw thousands pirated DVDs that displayed on the sidewalk in Mexico City.
Old 12-04-07, 03:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tsetse27
For some unknow reason, in China they market due-layer DVD (DVD-9) as a "special" feature, in comparsion to DVD-5.

The same movie can be released on both DVD-5 and DVD-9 edition separately, and DVD-9 sale at a higher price.

That is why all the packaging specificly states it is "DVD-9".
Wrong... "DVD 9" on the packaging (as shown in the photo) is an attempt to convince buyers that it's a legitimate release, since it takes special equipment to manufacture DVD9 discs (i.e. more sophisticated than pressing a single-layer DVD). The real fun begins when you take those discs that are clearly marked "DVD 9" and put them in a computer DVD drive, you'll see that they're really single-layer DVD5s. Some computers even recognize them as DVD+R media, even if they're actually pressed discs.

I have yet to see one of these "DVD 9"/"dts" bootlegs that is actually a DVD-9. I find it hilarious that people see all the typos on the cover, incorrect description and specs on the back, and even realize it's a bootleg, but still take the "DVD 9" on the cover to be true. I will say that a lot of these do have dts soundtracks (though probably not even as good as the Dolby Digital track on a legitimate DVD), but they most certainly aren't really DVD9s.

Last edited by DVDA; 12-04-07 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by DVDA
Wrong... "DVD 9" on the packaging (as shown in the photo) is an attempt to convince buyers that it's a legitimate release, since it takes special equipment to manufacture DVD9 discs (i.e. more sophisticated than pressing a single-layer DVD).
Wrong. Legitimate Chinese releases have been sold in separate DVD-5 and DVD-9 editions, most notably Hero. The practice seems to be waning in recent years, but it's very real even in the legitimate market.
Old 12-04-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, I saw a bunch of pirate DVDs being sold at Wal-Mart today. Should I call the Navy or Coast Guard?
Old 12-04-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Give them both a ring.
Old 12-05-07, 02:12 AM

Actually, I think when I first got the pile, not knowing they were bootlegs, I sold 2 or 3 to Gamestop. They still have the Lord or the Rings that had a very pixilated Green cover. That was like...4 years ago. They still have it for 15 bucks. Gamestop apparently can't determine bootlegs either? When they get one, they want to make sure nobody ever uses it again...by permanently jacking the price up.