Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Getting magazines I didn't subscribe to. ID Theft?

mytzplyx
12-02-07, 04:45 AM
Should I be worried? The last 2 weeks or so I've received 4 issues of Entertainment Weekly. I don't subscribe to any magazines, so I'm wondering how this can be. I also do not know how to contact them. I've tried a cursory online search, but have had no luck. I'm sure they outsource their sales team, anyways. My credit cards have not been charged nor has my bank account, so I am scared this might be ID theft. But best case scenario is that it's a mistake of some type. I remember getting subscriptions before from another magazine, years back. Somehow I contacted them and they just stopped it. No problems since then. No ID theft issue, either.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Feneant
12-02-07, 07:39 AM
Might just be a preemptive subscription tactic... they will send you a bill at some point and say 'you never told us to stop'

movieguru
12-02-07, 07:49 AM
Have you been to BestBuy lately? They try to push time Warner mag subs at the checkout. Free for 4 months and then you get billed. If you have one of their rewards cards and someone in your family uses it whem making puchases they may have unknowingly signed you up for it. It gets billed to the credit card made at the time of purchase.

John Galt
12-02-07, 10:47 AM
There should be a phone number for a subscription line on one of the first pages. It should be right there with the table of contents. Definitely call them up, as mentioned a lot of businesses are starting to conduct some shady practices where you unknowingly get subscribed to some of these. I started to receive Rolling Stone magazine due to a Ticketmaster purchase. When I called them up they said I was getting the first year free and then my credit card would be billed for the next year if I didn't cancel it.

TomOpus
12-02-07, 11:11 AM
As the 2 previous posters mentioned, you either didn't "unclick" a box or unknowingly did something to start the ball rolling.

Magazine publishers are trying anything to get people to pay for stuff they can usually find for free (and quicker).

al_bundy
12-02-07, 11:33 AM
most magazines are mostly advertising driven and are probably mailing out free subs to get their numbers up and will try to make it up in advertising.

my wife get Time Out New York like that

uncle-frank
12-02-07, 11:39 AM
its happend to me b4, for a few months i got a preview of what i could have. so when the time came on the last free issue after that i never got anymore.

companys do it with the newspaper aswell sometimes

Tracer Bullet
12-02-07, 12:48 PM
This is weird. I got a copy of Games for Windows the other day.

Rockmjd23
12-02-07, 12:49 PM
If you have one of their rewards cards and someone in your family uses it whem making puchases they may have unknowingly signed you up for it.
Unknowingly.:lol: When I used to work there, people would sign customers up for all kinds of stuff they didn't know about.

Walker Boh
12-02-07, 12:59 PM
If you're worried about it, call them and find out how the subscription started. I did that last year when I started getting EW out of the blue. It turned out to be a free "gift" from Columbia House. They never tried to charge me for it. Of course, I started getting the renewal offers (which I would've had to pay for) when it was running out, but I never did anything with it.

calhoun07
12-02-07, 02:34 PM
I got a free subscription to Wired one time unknowingly. I "won" it or something like that for some survey I took online. I really don't recall the exact details, but like the OP, I kind of started wondering when it just started coming to me. I called them and it turned out it was a gift subscription, and they never did any automatic renewals. I might have received a letter or two asking me to renew, but beyond that nothing else.

So, yeah...just call them. If it's truly free and there's no chance they got your credit card number or any bank account information (which nobody got from me on the free Wired subscription...they probably made up the cost of the "free" subscription by selling my address to junk mail places, though, but that stuff never really bothers me too much. I just toss it out.) then don't worry about it. If they can't charge you for any automatic renewals, no big deal.

And if they do automatically renew it, don't pay for it. They should cancel it after a few issues and it's no big deal. I got a deal on a Discover magazine subscription (one of those door to door things...yeah, I know, I know...I should NEVER have gone for it, but thankfully they didn't just run off with my money and I was younger and wasn't aware of the kinds of fraud that could come from that sort of thing) and they auto renewed me and sent me a bill and I never asked to renew. I just ignored it and after a couple issues they just stopped sending me the magazine and they stopped sending me any bills.

The Bus
12-02-07, 03:22 PM
Perhaps you're getting Mr. Mxyzptlk's mail?

I mean, both names are common, so a misspelling would not be a big surprise.

BigPete
12-02-07, 03:31 PM
Allposters.com once signed me up for TVGuide without my permission and without providing me an opportunity to opt out.

shaun3000
12-02-07, 03:37 PM
I've been getting Entertainment Weekly for the past few months. I never signed up for it and I've never received a bill. No idea why I'm getting them...

Brian Shannon
12-02-07, 04:29 PM
So someone stole your identity and is using it to send you magazine subscriptions :hscratch:

mytzplyx
12-03-07, 06:28 AM
So someone stole your identity and is using it to send you magazine subscriptions :hscratch:

Uh no. It's a possibility that someone stole my ID and inadvertantly caused (see previous posts) magazine subscriptions to be sent to me. But thank you for your "constructive" input.

db27
12-03-07, 07:52 AM
in addition to bestbuy, transworld stores (fye, sam goody, suncoast, etc..) offer these at the point of purchase if you use a credit card. the company is called synapse, they are the largest mag issuer in the world, if you get charged the phone number will show up on your statement. They will refund you to whatever end you desire. I have seen over a year of refunds given, because angry peeps make for bad press.

DVD Josh
12-03-07, 09:27 AM
Uh no. It's a possibility that someone stole my ID and inadvertantly caused (see previous posts) magazine subscriptions to be sent to me. But thank you for your "constructive" input.

Yeah, that's more reasonable than what he said.