Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

the December Comic Enjoyment Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts
the December Comic Enjoyment Thread

Superman Annual #13 completed the ]i]Camelot Falls[/i] storyline. Overall, I liked the concept that Superman could do more harm than good by always being around to divert disaster. Not counting the delays, the story was spread out so that it developed without feeling rushed. Now, if only the Action Annual would come out ....
Old 12-01-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
I think a thread for a new month should start when a new month's books get released - AFAIK, no books have come out on December yet, and we were still talking about November books, since the last batch just came out a day ago.
Old 12-02-07, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
Superman Annual #13 completed the ]i]Camelot Falls[/i] storyline. Overall, I liked the concept that Superman could do more harm than good by always being around to divert disaster. Not counting the delays, the story was spread out so that it developed without feeling rushed. Now, if only the Action Annual would come out ....
Is the Action annual the one with the General Zod's kid story coming to conclusion. I was wondering if I had missed that one.
Old 12-02-07, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is the Action annual the one with the General Zod's kid story coming to conclusion. I was wondering if I had missed that one.
Yes, to be released in Febuary.

ACTION COMICS ANNUAL #11

Written by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner, art and cover by Adam Kubert, variant cover by Kubert.

The extra-length conclusion to "Last Son" is here! Superman and the new Superman Revenge Squad -- Lex Luthor, Bizarro, the Parasite and Metallo -- take on General Zod, Ursa and Non in a battle for Metropolis, the future of Krypton and Christopher Kent!

64 pages, $4.99, in stores on Feb. 13.
Old 12-03-07, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuck you Joe Q. Fuck you up the ass for One more day. I know it's a november book, but fuck, that story sucked.
Old 12-03-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Fuck you Joe Q. Fuck you up the ass for One more day. I know it's a november book, but fuck, that story sucked.
So I'm a little confused. You're saying you didn't like the book?

I have no real interest in reading Spidey solo titles, but I was curious to see what they were going to do with this storyline, so I read the spoilers. And yeah, they're absolutely amazing! Amazing at the amount of hoops comic companies will jump through to return to a certain status quo.

Another book that a lot of people hate, but I think ROCKS, is All Star Batman. I thought this was garbage when it first started coming out 8 years ago, but now I am completely and totally in love with this book. A lot of people say that those who don't like the title don't "get" it, and that the book is some metatextual look at early Batman before he had a Robin. I never buy that bullshit about people not "getting" a book as it always seems condescending to me, but I do love it and agree that it is a take on early Batman before taking on a Robin to cool him down. Whatever the intentions of the book, all I know is it is a great rollercoaster of a comic.
Old 12-03-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any word on when we'll get the conclusion to Darwyn Cooke's "Superman Confidential" story?
Old 12-03-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I haven't read these, or know anything about them. What did they do that pisses you off so much? Is it much worse than that arc by JMS where it turns out that Harry Osborne raped Gwen Stacy and her twin kids from that rape grew up super fast and attacked Peter? Because that was probably the stupidest comic book story ever - and that's saying a lot.
Old 12-03-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's even dumber than that! it's basically about a HUGE continuity error in the middle of the Marvel Universe caused by magic. So anytime anyone goes "hey, how do you explain this...?" they can just go "it was magic!". This is the best storyline ever. I've never seen a story like this before, where the resolution of the story was so well written and complex. In a few years, we're all going to look at it and go "now there's a classic storyline". It's even better than Pre-Crisis Superman with his amazing powers. Those were at least fun.
Old 12-03-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamblor187
Any word on when we'll get the conclusion to Darwyn Cooke's "Superman Confidential" story?
With DC's recent publishing history, I suspect they'll release a Superman Confidential Annual to tie up Darwyn Cooke's (and Tim Sale's) story. BTW, I dropped that book as soon as the different writer/artisit team showed up on that book a few issues ago. DC is making it very easy for me to drop their titles these days.
Old 12-03-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I haven't read these, or know anything about them. What did they do that pisses you off so much? Is it much worse than that arc by JMS where it turns out that Harry Osborne raped Gwen Stacy and her twin kids from that rape grew up super fast and attacked Peter? Because that was probably the stupidest comic book story ever - and that's saying a lot.
That wasn't a bad story! why, you know what's an even better Marvel story? Tony Stark getting totally shitfaced and then turning on the Avengers, and then it turns out he's insane so they have to kill him only they need Tony so they go back into the past and kidnap him and bring him to the future where he replaces the real Tony but it turns out that he's not the real Tony after all, even though it took them YEARS to resolve that hanging thread. I love Marvel. At least DC ran Ch'p over with a truck. DC fucking rules.
Old 12-03-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
That wasn't a bad story! why, you know what's an even better Marvel story? Tony Stark getting totally shitfaced and then turning on the Avengers, and then it turns out he's insane so they have to kill him only they need Tony so they go back into the past and kidnap him and bring him to the future where he replaces the real Tony but it turns out that he's not the real Tony after all, even though it took them YEARS to resolve that hanging thread. I love Marvel. At least DC ran Ch'p over with a truck. DC fucking rules.
Is that the "little Tony" era? I always wondered what happened with that. We did get some early Jim Cheung artwork on that title, though.
Old 12-03-07, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Going into One More Day, Aunt May has been shot by an assassin who was aiming for Kingpin. She's been rushed to the hospital.

In One More Day:

Spoiler:
Issue 1 -- The Doctors tell Spider-Man that because he's poor, they're going to throw Aunt May into the charity ward where she wil die. So Spider-Man goes to beat the crap out of Iron Man, who refuses to pay for Aunt May's medical care since Spider-Man is a felon and it would look bad. But then Iron Man secretly gives Jarvis the money and Jarvis pays for Aunt May's medical care. Aunt May is moved from the charity ward to the rich people ward, where the doctors tell Peter that she's still going to die.

Issue 2 -- Spider-Man goes to Dr. Strange for help. Dr. Strange says that he can't help Spider-Man. Spider-Man hijacks one of Dr. Strange's mystical doodads and goes careening through space and time to find someone who can help him. He learns that there is nobody in the history of the Marvel Universe who has the ability to help somebody who has been shot. And also that you shouldn't fuck with Dr. Strange's stuff.

Issue 3 -- Spider-Man meets various aspects of his psyche, or alternate reality versions of himself or something. It turns out they have been sent by Mephisto, who has decided he wants to tempt Spider-Man. He's willing to save Aunt May, but since he's the devil, there's a bargain to be had. Mephisto does not want Spider-Man's soul. No, it turns out that Mephisto and Joe Quesada have something in common -- the thing they desire is for Spider-Man not to be married. Mephisto will save Aunt May if Spidey and Mary Jane both agree that Mephisto can undo the marriage and make it so neither of them remembers the marriage. We're left with the (yawn) cliffhanger of whether they will agree to it. Because we are all in so much suspense over where this story is leading.
Old 12-03-07, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Is that the "little Tony" era? I always wondered what happened with that.
Teen Tony was around until Jim Lee took over Iron Man as part of Heroes Reborn. Heroes Reborn was, of couse, a new continuity that lasted a year. Then everybody came back in Heroes Return and Tony was back to his old status quo (i.e. he was an adult). Kurt Busiek addressed it in a backup story in an Avengers Annual a few years later where the explanation was basically "Tony was a teenager for a while, but he came back from Heroes Return as the Tony we all know and love. Now stop asking questions!"
Old 12-03-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts
Ah, I love Busiek's work on Avengers (and Avengers Forever). Teen Tony was better left unremembered, much like Heroes Reborn itself, Lyja's Fantastic Four, and other Marvel masterpieces of that era.

Wow, those spoilers for One More Day are just... wow.
Old 12-03-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
In One More Day:
Yeah, that's pretty bad - I used to kinda like Quesada's art, but that doesn't even work for me anymore.

Why is Marvel so hell bent on "events" over just good stories - is it just sales? Because I think improving stories might take longer to improve sales than event-books, but they don't leave a bad taste in people's mouths, which builds trust, and they come back for more, improving sales over the long run - instead of the short-term highs and eventual dips of event-books.
Old 12-03-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I have no real interest in reading Spidey solo titles, but I was curious to see what they were going to do with this storyline, so I read the spoilers. And yeah, they're absolutely amazing! Amazing at the amount of hoops comic companies will jump through to return to a certain status quo.
So, wait...they're actually doing it? Wouldn't it be a great FU to swerve the other way?

Yeah, I know...we're quickly approaching the three year cutoff...
Old 12-03-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Teen Tony was around until Jim Lee took over Iron Man as part of Heroes Reborn. Heroes Reborn was, of couse, a new continuity that lasted a year. Then everybody came back in Heroes Return and Tony was back to his old status quo (i.e. he was an adult). Kurt Busiek addressed it in a backup story in an Avengers Annual a few years later where the explanation was basically "Tony was a teenager for a while, but he came back from Heroes Return as the Tony we all know and love. Now stop asking questions!"
Avengers Forever also tied up this storyline. But Heroes Reborn sucked. And on that note, so did the recent "return to heroes reborn".
Old 12-03-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What's sad is that the One More Day issues are STILL 399 cents each! Wow, what a bargain!
Old 12-03-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ah, I love Busiek's work on Avengers (and Avengers Forever). Teen Tony was better left unremembered, much like Heroes Reborn itself, Lyja's Fantastic Four, and other Marvel masterpieces of that era.

Wow, those spoilers for One More Day are just... wow.
Wait, is that when they said that Alicia Masters was really a skrull? holy shit, I forgot about that. Damn. All that reparative therapy for nothing.
Old 12-04-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
This isn't a December title, but I read it in December so...

Dr. Strange: The Oath may very well have been the best interpretation of the character I've seen in...well ever. Vaughn was able to make more human than any writer in my recollection. His concern for Wong was admirable and his interactions with Night Nurse (yeah NIGHT NURSE!) were both amusing and touching. An awesome job all around. I highly recommend the trade.
Old 12-04-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The artist on The Oath is one of my favorites, Marcos Martin. Sadly, he doesn't seem to do much comic work for whatever reason.
Old 12-05-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The artist on The Oath is one of my favorites, Marcos Martin. Sadly, he doesn't seem to do much comic work for whatever reason.
I didn't have time to talk about Marcos Martin when I first posted but allow me to say that this guy is great! I love his style, which it think is perfect for the comic form. His Batgirl Year One work was excellent as were the various Robin, Batman, JSA, etc. fill-ins that he did. I never did read Breach, which I think he drew regularly. I'll have to look that up.

I agree, boredsilly, Martin certainly isn't prolific enough. I'd love to see his work on a regular basis.
Old 12-06-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batgirl Year One is a criminally overlooked book. I think it is one of the best books DC has put out in the last 10 years, and a definitive take on the character. For a medium that takes so much shit for how it portrays female characters, we sure as hell don't celebrate instances when someone really gets it right. And yeah his art in Robin Year One is really great too. I would love to get my hand on some original pages.

In a way I'm glad he sticks to miniseries though, so that way his art runs uninterrupted. I just hope he puts something else out in the next year or two.

Rogue, I don't know if they're actually doing it, it's just one of those leaked things making the rounds. It seems plausible, but then look at how quick the Batman rumor got retracted.
Old 12-06-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ultimates 3 was really, really bad. Apparently Marvel wants to do an Ultimate version of the Heroes Reborn Avengers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.