DVD Talk
Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07 [Archive] - Page 3 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07

Pages : 1 2 [3]

strawberryshortcake
12-28-07, 01:25 AM
Does anyone know how "Shawne's deal of the day" works with respect to Time/Location.

I go by Pacific Time. And it's approximately 10:30 PM, which means its 12:30 central standard time (rightstuf.com time). When does the "deal of the day" expire?

WTK
12-28-07, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know how "Shawne's deal of the day" works with respect to Time/Location.

I go by Pacific Time. And it's approximately 10:30 PM, which means its 12:30 central standard time (rightstuf.com time). When does the "deal of the day" expire?You have to follow central standard time (with Iowa). Shawne's Deal of the Day should end of each day @ 11:59 PM CDT.

strawberryshortcake
12-28-07, 01:44 AM
Well, looks like your right. I missed out on something I wanted even though I could find it only a few dollars higher locally.

Well, I just went through the deals of the day for the next day, and decided to pass on everything. Nothing really of interest. Some of the stuff you posted a couple post back with the "new" stuff are of interest though. :) and :( because already spent quite a few bucks during the Christmas sale.

Deal of the Day for Friday 12-28-07 (at least for me when I clicked on "deal of the day")).

Voltron
?? I don't recall the price or which volume.

Gundam SEED DVD 10 (Hyb): Days of Destiny
Daily Deal Price:$17.99

Angel's Feather DVD (S)
Daily Deal Price:$11.72

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya T-Shirt - Logo - Grey – M
Daily Deal Price:$12.90

Black Cat DVD 6 (Hyb)
Daily Deal Price:$17.99

Bleach DVD 5 (Hyb)
Daily Deal Price:$15.49

Slayers Try VOX CD Soundtrack
Daily Deal Price:$6.98

Yu Yu Hakusho Seven Sins (Eps 85-98) DVD (Hyb)
Daily Deal Price:$21.48

Gundam Explorer: Wing, First, G, Seed, and More! (Book)
Daily Deal Price:$7.99

Blue Seed ThinPak DVD Box Set (Hyb)
Daily Deal Price:$36.73

strawberryshortcake
12-28-07, 02:01 AM
If you look in your order on their website, you will see a "(*)" designation next to a title. This means you didn't qualify for a discount because the prices were already discounted heavily.

Normally, the heavily discounted items are not valid for your membership discount.

It's understandable that heavily discounted items are not valid for additional membership discount, but it seems like a *pointless* membership program (?) if there are no real savings if the individual simply frequents the bargain/closeout bins.

Even an additional 1 - 5% savings off *not available for additional discount* titles would at least be something, giving the fans incentive to buy the gotanime member. Maybe a point system for every dollar spent, in return you can cash in those points for products/DVDs. Just a thought.

ai-chan
12-28-07, 02:57 AM
The contents of bargain/closeout bins are usually older stuff. Whereas with gotanime you can stack up your discount on the usual TRSI sales (new releases). At times it fetches up to 46% off the retail price.

WTK
12-28-07, 03:01 AM
It's understandable that heavily discounted items are not valid for additional membership discount, but it seems like a *pointless* membership program (?) if there are no real savings if the individual simply frequents the bargain/closeout bins.

Even an additional 1% savings would at least be something. Maybe a point system for every dollar spent, in return you can cash in those points for products/DVDs. Just a thought.Like what was noted before, bargain bin & closeout items are usually not eligible for additional discounts because they are already heavily discounted. Got Anime members get to save an additional 10% on products such as items from studio sales (usually between 33% to 40% off retail price). This system has worked very well (at least for me) and it's not pointless. If there are no real savings, it will only be 10% off the retail price. Sure, it's nice to save even more on bargain bin/closeout item, but it is what it is.

DVD Polizei
12-28-07, 04:30 AM

Even an additional 1 - 5% savings off *not available for additional discount* titles would at least be something, giving the fans incentive to buy the gotanime member. Maybe a point system for every dollar spent, in return you can cash in those points for products/DVDs. Just a thought.

I think there are some titles which are not included in these bargain bins and clearance sections (though I can't recall at the moment some example titles because I've purchased so much from them in a short period of time--ok, for example, the Trinity Blood DVD Box Set which I believe was at the time a 30% discount, and my membership could be applied as well). I suppose you could take a chance and just buy from the specials, but with anime, you take a chance of your titles to be sold out. So, it's a risky thing. Trinity Blood DVD Box Set is not on any clearance, and I doubt it will be for some time, if ever.

I do like the idea of a dollar/point system.

radicaldeth
12-28-07, 10:41 AM
Like what was noted before, bargain bin & closeout items are usually not eligible for additional discounts because they are already heavily discounted. Got Anime members get to save an additional 10% on products such as items from studio sales (usually between 33% to 40% off retail price). This system has worked very well (at least for me) and it's not pointless. If there are no real savings, it will only be 10% off the retail price. Sure, it's nice to save even more on bargain bin/closeout item, but it is what it is.

Strawberry99, most of us are VERY aware of own buying habits. ^^ That's how we maximize our savings. I use the older bargain bin to top off an order for free shipping. Plus things like the Trinity Blood vol 1 + box are nice little suprises too. *hugs box* Besides I HAVE most of the those items from purchases years ago. And sadly, those Geneon sales were useless to me.

It's the studio sales, coupons, etc where the GA membership comes in. The Dark Horse Sale is one of all favorites. I haven't been buying many dvds since I rent now. Right now, manga is burning a hole through my wallet so the studios sales are very appreciated. ^^

shawnek
12-28-07, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I noticed it's on order for me, too. I ordered pretty quickly (I thought) when these went on sale, but I would imagine these three were very popular. Hopefully I made the right decision on the economy packs because I just couldn't manage to get the premium sets with all the sales this year.

All of these are ordered and we're just waiting for the product to show. Will be a busy time once they arrive.

DVDmaniac14
12-28-07, 04:34 PM
CRAP! just when i was ready to order it...just like the buy.com deal...it goes OUT OF STOCK...and im speakingg of Nadia Perfect Collection :(

if it's been removed from walmart's search...does that mean it won't come back in stock or what?

Dragon Fly
12-28-07, 04:42 PM
Well, after having Buy.com cancel my order I placed it at Walmart, who just put it on backorder as of today..... :( sigh....

WTK
12-28-07, 04:54 PM
Posted by Shawne K @ AoD in regards to Nadia, Secret of Blue Water Perfect Collection (Tin) for TRSI:
This item is not being repressed and is no longer available from the manufacturer.

Eric F
12-28-07, 04:59 PM
I guess the Nadia tin was too much of a good deal for ADV to sell. Glad I was able to get one while I did.

DVDmaniac14
12-28-07, 05:05 PM
DAMN this really sux...well i guess it was never meant to be for the Nadia Tin for me

McHawkson
12-28-07, 05:11 PM
I'm very tempted to sell my used (once) Nadia Tin collection. Since I don't like the series and I don't see any point I should keep it.

Eric F
12-28-07, 05:11 PM
I'm really surprised it had such a short shelf time. It's only been out for around month now- you can probably pick it up somewhere else if you're lucky for a decent price, just be quick before someone else grabs them up. As far as selling it goes, you'd do better to sit on it for a while until it's in short supply then put it on eBay- I bet you might get ~$100 for it.

I wonder what this means for ADV's other retail tins tins like the Evangelion one?

justbarelymovin
12-28-07, 05:27 PM
Now I'm really irritated that Buy.com canceled my order, especially for such a bogus reason (couldn't verify information... when I had just ordered with the exact same info a few days earlier--order shipped out just fine).

DVD Polizei
12-28-07, 06:42 PM
All of these are ordered and we're just waiting for the product to show. Will be a busy time once they arrive.

Thanks for the update, Shawne. :up:

strawberryshortcake
12-28-07, 07:01 PM
Another thing I'm wondering about is what kind of software Rightstuf.com uses to run their site. Their shopping cart is in fact one of the *worst* ones I have ever come across. The product disappears shortly after you place it into the cart while browsing for other titles.

Just a few minutes ago, I placed an item into the cart, knew of two titles that I also wanted, placed the second into the cart successfully. Upon the 3rd item, the other 2 were now gone. And the one I really wanted is now "out of stock." Three titles and I was going to check out. And this was within a span of 7 - 15 seconds.

I'm very tempted to sell my used (once) Nadia Tin collection. Since I don't like the series and I don't see any point I should keep it.

How does the interior even look? How are the discs "protected"? And are they protected well? A picture would be superb if possible.

Dragon Fly
12-28-07, 08:57 PM
If you do keep me in mind! :)

McHawkson
12-28-07, 09:14 PM
How does the interior even look? How are the discs "protected"? And are they protected well? A picture would be superb if possible.

Okay, here you go:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7673/cimg0195zz8.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0195zz8.jpg)

The individual disc protection:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9933/85443290ke5.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=85443290ke5.jpg)

ai-chan
12-29-07, 12:28 AM
Okay, here you go:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7673/cimg0195zz8.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0195zz8.jpg)

The individual disc protection:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9933/85443290ke5.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=85443290ke5.jpg)

Looks great! I like the packaging.

RedTail
12-29-07, 01:40 PM
Can anyone who has the X Remix set let me know how it's packaged? Are we talking singles in an art box, brick, digi, etc?

pilot
12-29-07, 02:55 PM
Knives no more stupid comments please, thanks.

Admiral Ackbar
12-29-07, 08:53 PM

If you buy a lot of anime it pays for itself because it stacks with their sales.

for example, if youy have a GA and you buy something eligiblae for the current new years sale you save 35%. Without GA you only save 20%.

Yoou also save 10% off Deal of the Day.

Jah-Wren Ryel
12-29-07, 10:13 PM
If you buy a lot of anime it pays for itself because it stacks with their sales.

In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about. The really good sales - like the Geneon 4/$20 and 25/$100 - have not been eligible for the coupon. That's why I let my 'membership' lapse four or five years ago.

howwon
12-29-07, 10:14 PM

for example, if youy have a GA and you buy something eligiblae for the current new years sale you save 35%. Without GA you only save 20%.

Yoou also save 10% off Deal of the Day.

I though GA only gives you 10% off. Does this increase to 15% during a sale?

Jah-Wren Ryel
12-29-07, 10:16 PM
Actually, it goes down. Because it is 10% off of the already discounted price. So, if the sale is 20% the effective discount with GA is only 28%.

WTK
12-29-07, 10:26 PM
Can anyone who has the X Remix set let me know how it's packaged? Are we talking singles in an art box, brick, digi, etc?The packaging is somewhat like a digipak book. It's closer to the Kyo Kara Maoh! disc books without the clip flap on the side.

WTK
12-29-07, 10:44 PM
FYE.com - $5 off $6+ Coupon

Here are some of the coupon codes:
FYEWEL122207
FYEWEL122307
FYEWEL122407
FYEWEL122507
FYEWEL122607
FYEWEL122707
FYEWEL122807
FYEWEL122907
* Terms and Conditions: Not valid at f.y.e. retail locations. Valid online only. Orders must be placed on or before January 4, 2008 11:59:00 PM MT. This offer is not valid with any other coupon, shipping coupon, Gift Cards, Downloads, Google Checkout, or other promotions. Tax (when applicable) will apply as usual. One coupon per customer. Coupon can only be used once. Offer void outside the United States or where prohibited by law. Coupon has no cash value. Fye.com reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any time.

anifan
12-29-07, 11:48 PM
Actually, it goes down. Because it is 10% off of the already discounted price. So, if the sale is 20% the effective discount with GA is only 28%.

This is true, however, my membership (problems were taken care of by the best customer service ever...thanks everyone for responses...see past posts) paid for itself.

This 20% off of "already sales prices...not MSRP" sale was a great time to get the Geneon volumes I needed that will probably never go on sale (i.e. Shonen Onmyouji vol 2, Story of Saiunkoku, Gankutsuou, etc.) as they are dwindling. When my membership discount was added, the $12.00 for the membership fee had paid for itself and then some.

By the way, those interested in the Kanazuki no Miko (sp?) box set by Geneon better jump on it. There is a counter. I haven't checked the past few days....it may already be gone.

DVDmaniac14
12-30-07, 12:17 AM
FYE.com - $5 off $6+ Coupon

Here are some of the coupon codes:
FYEWEL122207
FYEWEL122307
FYEWEL122407
FYEWEL122507
FYEWEL122607
FYEWEL122707
FYEWEL122807
FYEWEL122907
* Terms and Conditions: Not valid at f.y.e. retail locations. Valid online only. Orders must be placed on or before January 4, 2008 11:59:00 PM MT. This offer is not valid with any other coupon, shipping coupon, Gift Cards, Downloads, Google Checkout, or other promotions. Tax (when applicable) will apply as usual. One coupon per customer. Coupon can only be used once. Offer void outside the United States or where prohibited by law. Coupon has no cash value. Fye.com reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any time.

AND THIS COUPON IS SLOWLY DYING THANKS TO ALL THE FW'ERS :(

WTK
12-30-07, 12:24 AM
AND THIS COUPON IS SLOWLY DYING THANKS TO ALL THE FW'ERS :(It's not that surprising with all the GC purchases out there.

justbarelymovin
12-30-07, 12:29 AM
I'm glad I got in on one... I used it on Death Note Vol. 2 LE (just in time to qualify for the rebate). It's too bad people abuse coupons like that.

WTK
12-30-07, 01:26 AM
Save 25% on Select Manga Entertainment Titles @ BestBuy.com (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat73300050026)

DVDmaniac14
12-30-07, 01:41 AM
Save 25% on Select Manga Entertainment Titles @ BestBuy.com (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat73300050026)

haha not even much of an effort on BB's part...sad sad little sale...pardon my cynicism

Eric F
12-30-07, 11:14 AM
It's not that surprising with all the GC purchases out there.I'm not even going to attempt to try to make a purchase using one. People posting they made 50+ purchases with them...Lame.

sabin357
12-30-07, 12:10 PM
In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about.
It's not 20% off MSRP, but 20% off their already set prices. Take a little more off with the GA and you have a nice deal.

...and adding tits to anything instantly makes it better.

Mr Bear1116
12-30-07, 01:29 PM
In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about. The really good sales - like the Geneon 4/$20 and 25/$100 - have not been eligible for the coupon. That's why I let my 'membership' lapse four or five years ago.

Actually, during the normal studio specific sales, you save 47% with the membership.

Admiral Ackbar
12-30-07, 02:41 PM
I mean 35% off retail...

"REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 35% off the retail prices on all in-stock items! Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)"

Unlike their other sales, the New Year sales is off their sale price. Most ofther slaes are off retail.

So, for example, I think a bandai sale might be 40% off retail. While the current is 35% off retail but really 20% + 10% off sale prices. It's wierd that they do this sale differently. Probably for advertising purposes.

But look, you only have to save $12 to have the membership pay for itself. I recently bought the Grenadier colection for $18. That's the same as if I waited around for the 20% off sale at DDD. And it's about three bucks cheaper than probably anywhere else I could to get it right now. Over the course of a year I easily save $12 in my purchases from RS. I don't save hundreds, but I maybe save $30-$40 considering I might spend a hundred per studio sale.

I will admit, the savings were b etter a couple years ago. Remember, yoiu used to be able to get 10% off on top of their Christmas specials. But I think that ended two-three years ago.

radicaldeth
12-30-07, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Admiral Ackbar]I mean 35% off retail...
Unlike their other sales, the New Year sales is off their sale price. Most ofther slaes are off retail.
QUOTE]

The in-stock sales are 20% off sale price too. There was a recent sale too ( forgot which one) that you could lump the monthly GA coupon and reg 10% discount.

*checks* Ah, okay. It was the 'Be Quick Like a Ninja: 30% OFF the Retail Prices on Almost Everything' sale. It was four days only. Dvds were included but I used it on manga. Half the books are still on order but that's fine by me. ^o^

WTK
12-30-07, 10:56 PM
I have post a new thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521300) over at the DVD Discussion forum about ANIME YEAR IN REVIEW (R1) for 2007.

Feel free to comment on that thread! :)

halfacandan
12-31-07, 09:38 AM
Apologies for this non-bargain-related post. I'm trying to find an artbox to hold the 6 individual Scrapped Princess Volumes. Am I right in thinking that one of the limited-edition releases came with the artbox? If so, which one? If not...any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks
Dan

ai-chan
12-31-07, 10:36 AM
There were 6 Scrapped Princess limited edition boxes. But these were to hold the figurines that came long with the LE editions.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5558/5161wexpkglgv1.th.jpg (http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=5161wexpkglgv1.jpg)
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6740/616d1zw20zloe0.th.jpg (http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=616d1zw20zloe0.jpg)
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8430/61zn9n77j7lpn6.th.jpg (http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61zn9n77j7lpn6.jpg)
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7996/61dcbb4yr3llz1.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61dcbb4yr3llz1.jpg)
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6236/61br62ve48luh3.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=61br62ve48luh3.jpg)
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6179/51av3rtypfluy1.th.jpg (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=51av3rtypfluy1.jpg)

WTK
12-31-07, 10:52 AM
Apologies for this non-bargain-related post. I'm trying to find an artbox to hold the 6 individual Scrapped Princess Volumes. Am I right in thinking that one of the limited-edition releases came with the artbox? If so, which one? If not...any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks
DanCheck out this custom artbox designer: Link 1 (http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/) | Link 2 (http://www.sonryudesigns.com/), though you may have to email to inquire about box availability for this series

halfacandan
12-31-07, 11:21 AM
There were 6 Scrapped Princess limited edition boxes. But these were to hold the figurines that came long with the LE editions.

Thanks. I'd had a look at some sites that were calling vol. 1 or vol. 2 an artbox release so I wasn't quite sure.

Check out this custom artbox designer: Link 1 (http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/) | Link 2 (http://www.sonryudesigns.com/), though you may have to email to inquire about box availability for this series

I've stumbled across these guys before but the cost had put me off a little. They've got about 10 boxes which I quite fancy though so I'll ask if they do a bulk discount.

Thanks and Happy New Year (when it comes)!
Dan

shawnek
12-31-07, 11:42 AM
Another thing I'm wondering about is what kind of software Rightstuf.com uses to run their site. Their shopping cart is in fact one of the *worst* ones I have ever come across. The product disappears shortly after you place it into the cart while browsing for other titles.

Just a few minutes ago, I placed an item into the cart, knew of two titles that I also wanted, placed the second into the cart successfully. Upon the 3rd item, the other 2 were now gone. And the one I really wanted is now "out of stock." Three titles and I was going to check out. And this was within a span of 7 - 15 seconds.

We are currently in programming to replace this system. Normally I see this kind of issue when people are using multiple tabs to browse the site. I'll be happy to try to help you troubleshoot it if you'd like.

We have replaced the front end of the site, and now the backend is queue to be replaced next.

ihavenolife123
12-31-07, 04:34 PM
We are currently in programming to replace this system. Normally I see this kind of issue when people are using multiple tabs to browse the site. I'll be happy to try to help you troubleshoot it if you'd like.

We have replaced the front end of the site, and now the backend is queue to be replaced next.

However, your customer service and deals are pretty top notch, i think they overwhelm these issues. Ill rather have a (at worst) faulty cart in order to confuse a rightstuf noob when stock is dwindling so I could get a chance at it.

DVDmaniac14
01-01-08, 12:24 AM
man longest anime thread of them all...and now it's time for a new one :-D HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!