DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : School me on dishwasher detergent

RunBandoRun
11-29-07, 04:05 PM
I just bought a dishwasher a couple of months ago and am rapidly depleting my first large bottle of Palmolive detergent. I just bought that because it's what was there when I grabbed. :lol: However, I was looking at brands in the store yesterday and can't figure out what the good deal is.

There didn't seem to be that big a price difference between the generic brand and the name brands like Cascade, except for the Electrasol brand seemed super expensive, much higher than anything else. What gives? Any experienced hausfraus want to tell me what's what?

shizawn
11-29-07, 04:12 PM
I use Cascade because that's what my mother always used. There probably isn't much difference between them all.

olds403
11-29-07, 04:18 PM
I use walmart brand powder detergent in mine. Consumer reports listed it as a best buy, didn't clean quite as well as the top rated cascade but at about 1/2 to 1/3 of the price thats okay with me. And yes there is a difference, the best ones use enzymes to break down food and get the dishes cleaner. Electra-sol sucked according to consumer reports.

Septemberbaby
11-29-07, 04:23 PM
I use the Cascade tablets... they come in a plastic thingee around them and you can put it right in w/o removing the plastic. I've tried the Electrasol brand that comes in a cellophane type wrapping.. but you have to remove that first.
I was told by two different DW repair men not to use the liquid. They both said that it doesn't dissolve as well and gets caked up in your pipes.

The Bus
11-29-07, 04:44 PM
I always had trouble with my old dishwasher. I switched to non-liquid and never had trouble again. I just buy whatever the biggest size Cascade there is.

Oh and Vib: automatic dishwasher? Very frou-frou, must be nice living in luxury in a cul-de-sac. ;)

tommyp007
11-29-07, 04:58 PM
I, too, have heard to never use a liquid. We usually buy Cascade, but have gone generic store brand in tough times. I really don't notice much difference.

tasha99
11-29-07, 05:07 PM
I use the Cascade tablets... they come in a plastic thingee around them and you can put it right in w/o removing the plastic. I've tried the Electrasol brand that comes in a cellophane type wrapping.. but you have to remove that first.
I was told by two different DW repair men not to use the liquid. They both said that it doesn't dissolve as well and gets caked up in your pipes.

I use the Electrasol tabs and like them, but I'm super lazy. The idea of not having to remove the plastic intrigues me. . .

Shazam
11-29-07, 05:10 PM
The Cascade tablets I used had a very strong smell so I stopped using them. I usually use the Electrosol tabs. They work quite well.

If Cascade's tabs didn't smell so bad, I'd use them because they worked better than the Electrosol tabs (but just by a bit)

Septemberbaby
11-29-07, 05:35 PM
The Cascade tablets I used had a very strong smell so I stopped using them. I usually use the Electrosol tabs. They work quite well.

I've never noticed the Cascade tablets having a strong smell. :shrug:

Ginwen
11-29-07, 06:27 PM
Liquids are more likely to clog up your machine, so use powder or the tablets. Also, when we used to use liquids our glasses didn't always come clean, with powder (Cascade usually) they do.

Flashback
11-29-07, 06:45 PM
I use the Cascade tablets... they come in a plastic thingee around them and you can put it right in w/o removing the plastic.

What I use too ... love them - drop it in and you are set. I also do not notice any strong or strange smell.

DeltaSigChi4
11-29-07, 06:49 PM
Brands???

E

CKMorpheus
11-29-07, 06:54 PM
Shit. Never use liquid? I've been using it for 3 years since I moved out on my own. I had always thought the dishwashers I've used had just sucked.

Cardsfan111
11-29-07, 07:14 PM
Count me in as another who uses these. I don't recall how cost efficient they are compared to other products, but the ease is worth it to me.

Jadzia
11-29-07, 07:41 PM
I always buy the Electrosol tabs at Costco. A big container seems to last forever.

The Cascade tabs also work well but you have to be careful to never touch them with wet hands or let them get wet because they will dissolve and stick together. And usually when I am loading the dishwasher my hands are wet. I like the Electrosol tabs better for that reason.

mndtrp
12-03-07, 02:32 AM
I buy whatever the cheapest generic brand Sam's Club carries. My dishes are always clean, so I don't know what makes it so cheap.

VitiminJ
12-03-07, 11:15 AM
I always buy the Electrosol tabs at Costco. A big container seems to last forever.

The Cascade tabs also work well but you have to be careful to never touch them with wet hands or let them get wet because they will dissolve and stick together. And usually when I am loading the dishwasher my hands are wet. I like the Electrosol tabs better for that reason.

I agree with this, also when I tried the Cascade tabs they never fully dissolved. There was always some left in the compartment. The big container I get at Sams last a very long time. 150 loads or something.

tiberiu
03-17-08, 02:20 PM
There is no big difference between brands when it comes to their utility in the house but certain brands score higher prices on the market because they have a reliability won with time, but the truth is that someday you will have the change the appliance parts around the house, no matter the brand.

The Bus
03-17-08, 02:22 PM
There is no big difference between brands when it comes to their utility in the house but certain brands score higher prices on the market because they have a reliability won with time, but the truth is that someday you will have the change the appliance parts around the house, no matter the brand.

Spam mixed with garbled, near-nonsense advice is still spam.

Lord Rick
03-17-08, 02:25 PM
Walmart brand "Great Value" was a Consumer Reports Best Buy (or real good deal or whatever).

It's what we use, it's cheap, and it does a great job.

If you want to read more go to your local library and read the Buying Guide for 2008 to find what issue it's in, then look it up.

kvrdave
03-17-08, 02:43 PM
The problem with liquid stuff is when it doesn't get completely rinsed out. It really isn't a big issue. And if you have a septic system, liquid is recommended.

fumanstan
03-17-08, 03:16 PM
We've been using the Cascade ones. Recently bought the Electrosol ones on clearence at Target but haven't used it yet.

drmoze
03-17-08, 03:29 PM
Spam mixed with garbled, near-nonsense advice is still spam.

Whoa! The post seemed somewhat on-topic, and more coherent than many others I've seen here. ;) Yet, one post and bye-bye. Wow.

OnT: i always use powder, and never had a problem. BTW, do the tabs work if you have a 2-part dispenser (one covered, one uncovered) in your DW? (I think I recall seeing an ad where you just throw the tab into the dw and parts of it dissolve at the right time.) Are the tabs better than powder, or just different?

Hiro11
03-17-08, 03:53 PM
Costco's "Kirkland" brand is incredibly cheap and works very well. You get roughly a dumptruck-load of the stuff for about $6.