Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The OC complete series box set

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-27-07, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone get this today if so is it really cool looking? If someone has it and is willing to take a few pictures I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-27-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts
I heard that if you bought all 4 seasons already and purchased seasons 3 and 4 from Target with the bonus discs, then you don't need this set. The Target bonus discs are included here. The only major differences is the packaging and season 1 being re-mastered in Widescreen.

I never really considered getting this set.
Old 11-27-07, 08:26 PM

Old 11-27-07, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by starseed

thanks but I already saw that one.
Old 11-27-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
I may ask for it as a gift, but otherwise I'll probably wait until early next year to pick it up. Or maybe wait a year or so. I don't think it's going anywhere fast. Plus a co-worked just told me today that she picked up the Buffy box for ~$90. Keeping in mind that it was originally $200+, not to mention each set was $40-50 when I bought it...

Bottom line, even if this is being listed at $180/120 I'm sure it will be had for much less sooner than later!
Old 11-30-07, 03:05 PM

Does anyone here have the set yet, and if so how are the discs holding up? It seems as though they would get scratched up, the way they are packaged.
Old 11-30-07, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snoogans37
Does anyone here have the set yet, and if so how are the discs holding up? It seems as though they would get scratched up, the way they are packaged.
I don't know... I thought the same thing and I didn't check them out THAT close, but I did give many discs an inspection and they all looked fine to me. Most of the discs weren't in their slots in my set, but since there aren't any rough plastic hubs/trays to rub against, they seemed to survive ok. the page surface under the discs is pretty smooth. It isn't rough cardboard like the Alias set.

In my opinion, this is the best complete series set I've seen yet. The packaging is gorgeous and can be considered an "extra" in itself. So, it's not entirely true that if you have the previous 4 sets and the Target discs that you've got it all. Plus, having season 1 in widescreen is HUGE. For me, the packaging trumps the lack of any newly produced disc content. The design, the interview, the images - even an Atomic County comic in the middle - just make this thing look slick.
Old 11-30-07, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
In my opinion, this is the best complete series set I've seen yet. The packaging is gorgeous and can be considered an "extra" in itself. So, it's not entirely true that if you have the previous 4 sets and the Target discs that you've got it all. Plus, having season 1 in widescreen is HUGE. For me, the packaging trumps the lack of any newly produced disc content. The design, the interview, the images - even an Atomic County comic in the middle - just make this thing look slick.
Thats good to know. I didn't think any set could be as good as the Seinfeld set I recently bought, but this looks even better.
Old 12-06-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just bought this today. I don't want anything to happen to the case or discs, so I'm removing all the discs from it. It's such a beautiful set that I don't want anything to happen to it.

Can't wait to tear through this set for Chrismukkah!
Old 12-06-07, 07:18 PM

definitely wanna pick this up... eventually. already have all four seasons, but not the target exclusives. so the two bonus discs, s1 in widescreen and the beautiful packaging definitely make it worth the upgrade. that being said, $119.99 is the lowest i've seen it, which is quite high. seeing as other complete series sets have come down (buffy @ costco for $99, sex and the city @ bb.com for $79.99) and just the obvious fact that dvd prices always come down is reason enough for me to hold off. i'm sure it'll be ~$70 sometime down the line and i'll probably pick it up then.