Reload this Page >

The DVD Talk HSA (Holiday Spenders Anon) Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-26-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Just wanted to know if there were other souls like me who spend WAY OVER what I was supposed to this year on DVDs. I've never seen such bargains before (or maybe I just didn't care at the time). James Bond Ultimate sets for $18.99 a piece, $3.99 DVDs, $5.99 Bugsy 2-Disc, sales at TRSI, B1G1 sets from DD, Buy.com TV sets for $13 a piece, and the list goes on.

So, come on, tell us your story. I can't be the only one here who spent over budget.
Old 11-26-07, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I planned to spend $300 this month on DVDs with the various sales... I spent over $1200.
Old 11-26-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Let me give you my first hug.

I spent about $700-$950 (still looking at my purchases) when my limit was supposed to be around $200. And it's not even December yet, which is going to make things rather difficult, especially if other sales come up.
Old 11-26-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I was supposed to be more thrifty with the HD & BD discs, but Im just as bad as always... Didnt help that the past few months had such great deals. I will slow just due to the fact there isnt much I want in the future so thats a good thing (plus I just upgraded the the TV so Im broke!!).
Old 11-26-07, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I was attempting to slow down on my spending this year. I was using the thread to keep track of my spending. And then, it all went haywire. I've probably spent more on dvds this year than in the past two years combined. Mainly it was an OCD-like urge to complete my Ring of Honor collection. Now that it's up-to-date, I definitely can see myself spending less next year.

EDIT...just when I thought I was pulling it together, I spent about $260 on dvds during ROH's Black Friday sale.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 11-26-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well considering I bought or ordered 27 dvd movies, 1 TV season boxset and 3 laserdiscs this weekend, I'm not one to give advice.
Old 11-26-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Planned on spending around $200 during the 20% off sale. Between repeated, irrational and obsessive Criterion purchases, the Amazon Black Friday sales, overpaying for the newly OOP Criterions (which then of course showed up on DVD Planet at the end of the sale) and my first Region 2 titles, ended up spending $853.45. Wow. Never spent that much in one month ever - highest total this year before this month was $583.02. In comparison, spent $387.71 during the previous 20% sale. Oh well. At least I made a couple of hundred selling OOP titles on Amazon. Still though - it's time for a frank appraisal of my DVD addiction. Is there a way to block my access to the Bargains forum? Just kidding. I think....
Old 11-26-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts
I've definitely overdone it. I made myself a promise to stay away from the Deep Discount and DVD Planet sales (proud to say I did it!) but I continued to hang around the Bargains forum and have bought a bunch of cheap $3 DVDs and had to jump on the Bond sets as well as the Alien Quadrilogy at Amazon.

I did have to jump on those deals, right?