Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How has this forum affected your DVD collecting?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-26-07, 02:07 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has it affected the types of DVDs that you buy? Or the frequency with which you buy them? Do you find yourself caring much more about things like super-deluxe-special-editions than you would have previously? Or even "competing" with other posters to build a bigger collection, own the most Steelbooks, etc.?

Prior to coming to this forum, despite already having a fair number of DVDs, I never really viewed it in terms of "collecting" or as a "hobby." I would just periodically buy a favorite movie that caught my eye, watch it, and then toss it on the shelf, giving no thought to my "collection" when I wasn't actually watching something from it. Now, it's always kind of in the back of my mind, at least when I happen to be watching stuff. I'm not just thinking about whether I enjoyed the movie or TV show I just watched, but making a mental note of whether I'm going to want to buy it or not.

Also, I think the bargains forum has been one of the biggest factors. That, coupled with the general exposure to constant DVD discussions has led to me buying far more DVDs than I have in the past. Things that I normally either wouldn't buy at all or were far from the top of my wishlist suddenly become so much more appealing and tempting when they're heavily discounted.
Old 11-26-07, 02:11 PM
Banned

I really enjoy hearing about how people store and organize their collections, and this forum has helped me keep up on what's being released, and the differences between existing releases and upcoming "Special Edition" DVDs. I don't think I've changed my collecting strategy much because of what I've read here, but it has been a great source of information and opinions.
Old 11-26-07, 02:23 PM

The biggest thing about coming to this forum in the first place for me was that, my wife, girlfriend at the time, and all of my friends thought I was crazy for collecting movies the way I did. And then I stumbled here one late night of surfing and first got hooked going through the classic 'Pictures of your collection' threads. People were just shocked that I wasnt the only one lining up my Star Wars movies on line with figures, or organizing certain collections by director or genre or even publisher (well just CC for that one)

And then of course the Bargins section. the forum has affected my buying there, because everyone is quick to post the amazing prices they found, and I had never made more than one DDD 20% purchase at a time until I came here, because scrolling through everyone's purchases makes you go, 'That's a great price' or 'I never heard of that' or 'I heard of that but havn't checked it out, and considering the other good stuff this guy got, it might be good'

Overall, not being much of a forum type of guy, this is the one I'm at the most, an appreciation of movies, collections, film, tv, etc. Instead of focusing just on horror, or a particular person, or just home theater equipment.

I like you dvdtalk.
Old 11-26-07, 02:39 PM

the sale forum has directed me to many a deal, nothing else has affected my habits tho
Old 11-26-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the Bargain forum has made me spend and spend and spend....
Old 11-26-07, 02:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Yes, the Bargain forum has made me spend and spend and spend....
Quoted for (the sad) truth.
Old 11-26-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDA
I really enjoy hearing about how people store and organize their collections, and this forum has helped me keep up on what's being released, and the differences between existing releases and upcoming "Special Edition" DVDs. I don't think I've changed my collecting strategy much because of what I've read here, but it has been a great source of information and opinions.
Ditto. Except for the last part. Reading here has absolutley changed my collecting strategy...thanks to honest reviews I've cut down purchases by 80 %.
Old 11-26-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
When I found this place, I had about 20 DVDs, most of which I paid retail for. Now I have around 1800, but I have gotten good prices on them.
Old 11-26-07, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bargain forum is a daily stop, and what really turned me into a DVD junkie. DVD Talk also clued me into the Classic SF collections from Best Buy, 2.00 DVD's from Big Lots (that alone easily accounting for over a 100 movies I still need to watch), and many cool and obscure films. I blame DVD Talk for my current impoverished state.
Old 11-26-07, 03:22 PM

I was a pretty big collector before discovering the forum. The biggest impact it has had is that I'm now more prone to waiting for upgraded releases since this site is a source of information for re-release dates and such. I've been spared many double-dips.

The bargain forum has saved me time and money. I spend less time aimlessly browsing DVD sections and I know what I'm after when I go out. I've always been a bargain DVD shopper, following sales and rarely purchasing new releases until they've had at least one price drop, but now I'm just even more of a cheapskate I've gone from probably 60% of the DVDs I buy being sale items (if you include the $5 Wal-Mart bin as sale) to about 95% being sale items. Since I came here, I'm buying more DVDs, but spending less money.
Old 11-26-07, 03:44 PM

Yea I blame dvdtalk for making me poorer because of all the great bargains .
But seriousily I am getting more dvd for my buck nowdays. I wait for movies to be under $5 and tv show set unless a megaset to be under $20. Now I am unemployed and finding time to get through the unwatched pile.
Old 11-26-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For starters, I've bought more DVDs since really checking out these forums. You can thank the great posters over at the bargains forum for that.

Secondly, I've discovered tons of great films from here. I remember back in 2005 seeing a thread for one of Amazon's sales. Everyone recommended Oldboy and A Tale of Two Sisters. Thanks to them I was the first out of everyone I knew to see Oldboy, hahaha. No but really, this place has had a great positive influence on me.
Old 11-26-07, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Ditto. Except for the last part. Reading here has absolutley changed my collecting strategy...thanks to honest reviews I've cut down purchases by 80 %.
Yeah, the reviews are great. I hadn't been an avid reader of reviews of any kind, but many titles fell into the "Netflix" category instead of my Amazon Wish List after reading a less-than-enthusiastic DVDTalk review.
Old 11-26-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Internet is a vast and infinite sea of information ..and it all starts here at DVDTalk! ..and no, I have never seen Ghost in the Shell ..really

This site has improved upon my DVD collecting habits. I've learned quite a bit about DVDs/films in general; the likelihood of which studios are the best at releases, which are known for double, triple (or more) releases of the same film; special deals; a very good trade forum .. you name it. It's an excellent resource.
Old 11-26-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have, in that I've bought movies recommended highly here. After buying stinkers like Freaked and Dead Birds, however, I'm on to you all.
Old 11-26-07, 07:23 PM
Cool New Member

Not at all, that's how much.
Strategy ?
Old 11-26-07, 07:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
as i stated here...
has DVDTalk started anyone else's collection...
without this site i would still have the 20 i did 5 years ago
Old 11-26-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
About the biggest effect this forum has had on my dvd collecting was a post in the wrestling thread introducing me to Ring of Honor Wrestling. I checked out one show and was hooked. In the months since, I've managed to collect all of ROH's shows. Never would have happened without hearing about them here.
Old 11-26-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts
As several have mentioned, the Bargains forum has kept my collection growing at a rate beyond what I can realistically keep up with. I have been telling myself though that I'm pretty close to having everything I want.
Old 11-26-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

increased it like most, lately i have slowed down collecting though and have gotten m,ore selective based on others suggestions.
Old 11-26-07, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive found a few gems that were recommended to me and the bargains forum has made my collecting habits much much easier on the wallet...or has it? Come to think of it, ive spent much more cause of that forum. CURSE YOU BARGAINS FORUM!!!
Old 11-26-07, 09:01 PM

This forum has helped in many ways. First, it helps me find great bargains, keeps me informed of upcoming upgrades, lets me know which titles are anamorphic, gets me together with members who have answers to my questions...my favorite and most reloaded site each day.
Old 11-27-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've discovered many smaller indie films that i wouldn't have thought about thanks to dvd talk (and i kind of rediscovered my love of pro wrestling thanks to this one post
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Punk better hope that nothing ever happens to Justin Credible or he will have no one to wrestle. I don't think the botched body splash spot was Punk's fault. Credible wasn't in the right position and he tried to turn it into a gutbuster at the last second, which he also messed up. I think Punk might have actually hurt a rib there, and at first I thought Justin's ankle had possibly snapped. It just looked lousy. Terrible match.

BUT....still light years ahead of the train wreck of RVD/Sabu. I've seen backyard wrestlers pull off smoother spots than these two.

Seriously guys, I mentioned it in the TNA thread, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go watch the Blood Generation/Do Fixer 6-man tag match from ROH's Supercard of Honor. PLEASE. It will wash all this garbage right out of your mind. It's freaking wrestling transformed into artwork.
So thanks alot guys, made me a hell of a lot poorer.
Old 11-27-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never would have joined Columbia House DVD club if not for learning about the maximizing tactics and promo codes here. There's a few titles I picked up due to DVDTalk's reviews. I also would have missed out picking up a Hitchcock Criterion box set, since DVDTalk alerted me that it was going to go out of print.
Old 11-27-07, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
because of this forum I have been up to date with many, many releases, special ed's, steelbooks, etc

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.