Reload this Page >

DVD All region

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD All region

Old 11-24-07, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD All region

Hi,

My son has a sony DVD player (either dvp s560d or s565d). I am buying him Seinfeld season 9 for christmas and I had seen that if you order it from Amazon in the UK it comes with a comic book (exclusive to Amazon UK). It says that it says the UK DVD is all region, PAL format. Will this play on the sony player which was purchased in the US?

Thanks in advance
Lisa
Old 11-24-07, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
search for your player here to make it all region.
Old 11-24-07, 10:35 PM

it means the DVD isn't region-restricted (which honestly doesn't sound right for a TV title to be region-free), which means it will play on ANY DVD player so long as it can convert PAL to NTSC. Check your DVD player menu to see if so
Old 11-24-07, 11:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
most likely it won't. sony players are not hackable by your average consumer and it won't convert pal to ntsc.
Old 11-24-07, 11:36 PM

Thanks, while I was waiting for a reply, I downloaded the manual from Sony. This is what it says.

This player conforms to the NTSC color system. You cannot play discs recoded in other color systems such as PAL or SECAM.

So I'm assuming because it is in PAL format it will not play correctly. I think I found a workaround though. I just read in one of the macforums that you can convert PAL to NTSC (with the right software) and we just gave him a new macbook for his birthday. So, worse case scenerio, it won't convert, he can still watch it on his macbook. Thanks for your answers.
Old 11-24-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mclisa81
So, worse case scenerio, it won't convert, he can still watch it on his macbook. Thanks for your answers.
all computers can read PAL or NTSC, regardless where it's from, but if you buy a macbook from the USA, it will be set for Region 1 discs.

You can change the region coding very easily, by inserting an other region disc into the drive and click if you want to change it.

You only have 5 times to change it, remember. Then it will be locked to that region.... forever.
Old 11-25-07, 12:47 AM

Don't do that! I've got a Mac, just download the free VLC Player, region free playback of anything you can throw at it.
Old 11-25-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mclisa81
Hi,

My son has a sony DVD player (either dvp s560d or s565d). I am buying him Seinfeld season 9 for christmas and I had seen that if you order it from Amazon in the UK it comes with a comic book (exclusive to Amazon UK). It says that it says the UK DVD is all region, PAL format. Will this play on the sony player which was purchased in the US?

Thanks in advance
Lisa
From the looks of the comic book. It's the same one circuit city here in the states were selling. I'd bet most circuit city's probably still have them in stock (at least mine does). It's shrink packed together w/the set.
Old 11-25-07, 09:26 AM

Thanks again for your replies. I guess I'm off to the stores today to search. I just "assumed" when I hit the amazon UK website and it said "exclusive to amazon UK" that's what it meant. If I can't find it at the Circuit City near me, hopefully, they can locate one at another store and have it shipped.
Old 11-25-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
You only have 5 times to change it, remember. Then it will be locked to that region.... forever.
So, why would I want to change it at all, then?
Get VLC player (free), or something like AnyDVD (not free), which is what I use.
Old 11-25-07, 12:47 PM

Circuit City had it. Thanks Shac. I usually try to stay away from the malls around this time, but sometimes, unfortunately, I have to break my rules.
Old 11-25-07, 01:00 PM
Banned

Glad you got the comic book, Lisa. I'm surprised at all the discussion of DVD region coding, when you clearly stated at the outset that the DVD was ALL-REGION. I agree that it's odd for a major title like that to be all-region, and it's entirely possible that the Amazon listing was wrong, but since that season was released at the same time just about everywhere, there's not much need for region restrictions. In fact, when a studio produces just a U.S. version and a European version, it's actually advantageous to make the European version region-free since it could be sold in many other regions that all together probably wouldn't add up to the sales of the U.S. version. Every time you change the region coding, it means a new glass master, so doing individual versions for all the small regions around Europe probably wasn't cost-effective.

As for the PAL issue, I guess if the manual specifically said it couldn't play PAL discs, then perhaps it can't. I do know that many players actually DO play PAL discs, and they don't need to be region-hacked or connected to PAL TVs in order to do so. Results vary, and not every player does this, but don't buy the myth that all U.S. players must have NTSC discs. Of course a computer is your best bet since they don't care at all about PAL or NTSC, and if the set was truly all-region, you wouldn't have had to worry about downloading any special software.

Anyway, I'm glad there was an easy solution, but it seemed like everyone was claiming it was more complicated than it actually is. Funny... that never happens around here....