Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How should I store my "of the Dead" movies?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-23-07, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I store all my movies in Alphabetical order except for when sequels need to be by each other. (ex. I store Army of Darkness right next to the other two Evil Dead movies). Now for the George Romero "of the Dead" films, where would you guys suggest I store them? Should I put them all in the N's because the first one starts with N? Should I put them in the D's because they all have "Dead" in the title? Or should I just go ahead and keep them all separate with their corresponding first letters like I have them now?
Old 11-23-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

do whatever makes it easiest for you to locate them
Old 11-23-07, 09:46 PM

Together, chronologically.
Old 11-23-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually went through the same dilemma. I considered listing them under "G" for George Romero's..., but then started wondering where to put Savini's NotLD remake (which I love) and the Dawn remake (which I also really like). Since Zombie Horror is my favorite sub genre I briefly toyed with putting them all under "Z". But that bought up the whole 28 Days (Weeks) Later argument (which doesn't have zombies, yet I consider it a Zombie Movie) and movies like Dead & Buried (which is basically about zombies but I don't consider an actual Zombie Movie).

Finally I just said "screw it" and keep them alphabetically. I can't believe how much thought I've put into the whole quandary.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 11-23-07 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny you mention this. I had all my movies stored strict alphabetically for years and then one day last week I just woke up and decided that movies should be paired with their sequels. I put Dawn, Day, and Land of the Dead after Night.

The tough one was deciding whether Freddy vs Jason should go after the Friday the 13th series or Nightmare on Elm St. I chose Friday because it stays with the F's.
Old 11-23-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just keep House of the Dead far away.
Old 11-24-07, 12:43 AM

I organize the main bulk of my movies by director or theme, so i have romero's dead slicks in order, filled by the rest of his stuff, for awhile I had return of the living dead and the zombie films(all the unofficial sequels) then the remakes and then shaun of the dead for good fun, but now shaun is in the edgar wright section, zombie is with fulci (with the sequels, just like halloween sequels are with carpenter) and the dawn remake is under zack snyder
Old 11-24-07, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mentally, they're part of the same series but unless there's a collector's box holding them together they get filed away under the first letter of their name. Excluding "the."
Old 11-24-07, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my collection in alphabetical order. When there are sequels, they go together chronologically at the end of everything else. Maybe this will work for you? (Ex. #-Z, Lord of the Rings trio, Puppet Master series, Clerks-Mallrats-ChasingAmy-Dogma (filed last because I put them under the View Askew label))
Old 11-24-07, 08:25 AM

I put them together, chronologically, starting with "Night of...". The remake "Night of..." and "Dawn" are separate, though, since the "Dawn" remake really isn't a sequel to the "Night" remake. Same issue with Army of Darkness, it follows "Evil Dead 2" : )
Old 11-24-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
I used to keep them together (by series), but now I just file them alphabetically.
Old 11-24-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I keep all my stuff together according to genre, sub-genre and, sometimes, director. And in that order. So all my Romero stuff is together with the "Dead" titles all grouped and composing the beginning of my zombie genre section. It's like one big puzzle fitting everything where it belongs.
Old 11-25-07, 10:38 AM

I keep my DVD collection organized by genre, too. It'd be awkward to find myself placing the likes of Cannibal Holocaust so close to Bambi. Hell, they don't even belong on the same shelf if you ask me.

I solved my Freddy vs. Jason problem by placing it between the two franchises.
Old 11-25-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 501 Likes on 346 Posts
My DVDs are sorted by genre. No alphabetizing or anything after that. The reason is so that my guests, when browsing the collection, will be forced to look at all the titles and possibly come across something new and interesting (to them) completely by accident.
Old 11-25-07, 11:55 AM
Suspended

yeah i keep by genre, but have seperate shelves for directors, or a series of films.
Old 11-25-07, 12:42 PM

I organized my discs by genre, then thematically, but Romero gets his own subsection in my horror section: it starts off as the end of the Vampire section with my two copies of Martin, then goes Season of the Witch, The Crazies, NOTLD, and then Dawn. From there my collection movies into "Zombie Comedy" with Shawn of the Dead (R2), Cemetary Man, ROTLD, Night of the Comet, CHUD (ok they're not zombies, but it just seems to fit there).

What's fun about this set-up is often I rearrange whole section when a new title gets added if it inspires an idea for a new order or the creation of an entirely new subgenre (my "Lovecraft-inspired" section has grown alot the past few months). However, I don't have a large collection (only a couple hundred discs) so it's easier for me to keep track of discs even when they're organized by more or less my whim.

Last edited by Dr. Forrester; 11-25-07 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-25-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep them alphabetical, same with freddy vs jason. The only exception is James Bond. All his movies are under B for bond. I thought about putting them under 007, But alas chose Bond.
Old 11-25-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Most everything is alphabetical, with a few subsections. The Romero Dead films are under N for Night, then I put Dawn, Day and Land right after, with the Night remake and the Dawn remake with them.

I currently only have the Brosnan Bond movies, and they're under G for Goldeneye, then TND, TWINE and DAD. I ever pick up any other Bonds, I'm not sure where I'll put them.
Old 11-25-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I have all box sets separate since they don't lend themself to my normal order (plus they tend to be different sizes) so I just put all the night of the living dead and related movies in there, next to my various horror sets.