Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FYE in-store $3.49 DVDs before B3G1F

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYE in-store $3.49 DVDs before B3G1F

I searched and am surprised there isn't a thread about this. I thought some of these were good deals. FYE had a few boxes of $3.49 DVDs with a buy 3 get 1 free, plus 10% Backstage pass on top of that. That worked out to $2.36 per DVD in groups of 4...

Are We There Yet (LBX)
Blue Thunder (SE) (LBX)
Brothers, The (LBX)
Charlie's Angels (Superbit Deluxe) (LBX)
Christmas with the Kranks [both]
Excess Baggage [both]
Falling from Grace (LBX)
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2-DVD) (LBX)
Fog, The (2005) (LBX)
Fun with Dick & Jane (Segal) (LBX)
Guns of Navarone (SE) (LBX)
Hollywood Homicide [both]
I Know What You Did Last Summer [both]
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (LBX)
Identity [both]
In My Country (LBX)
In the Cut (LBX)
London (LBX)
Madeline [both]
Memento (2-DVD) (LBX)
Missing, The (2-DVD SE) (LBX)
Monster (2-DVD SE) (LBX)
Mozart and the Whale (LBX)
River Runs Through It, A (DE) (LBX)
Silver City (LBX)
Slaves of New York (LBX)
Stealing Harvard (LBX)
Steamboy (LBX)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation [both]
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada [both]
Urban Legends (LBX)
Where the Truth Lies (LBX)
XXX (2-DVD DC) (LBX)
XXX 2 (SE) (LBX)

There were more, but those are the ones that interested me enough to write down. The ad shows Anger Management, Bridge on the River Kwai, and The Caine Mutiny, but none of those were to be found at my store. Was anyone able to find the latter 2, and if so were they the Limited Editions?
Old 11-23-07, 04:20 PM

These appear to be by and large the same mix of titles Big Lots got for their $2.00 Friday sale, and actually seems to have been getting in all November for $3.00. There has been some mention of FYE getting them also in that thread. Did you happen to see if Casualties of War: Extended Cut or An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder showed up at your FYE? I checked 6 Big Lots and 2 FYEs but those are the only 2 from this bonanza I haven't been able to find yet.
Old 11-23-07, 04:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Two others I found:

Loser
Steve McQueen Box Set (Baby the Rain Must Fall. The War Lover)
Old 11-23-07, 05:03 PM

We have the Kevin Smith one at my store in VT. Another title that might be of interest to some people was People Vs. Larry Flynt SE. I've never seen the film, but am thinking about picking it up next week when we have our employee discount day. (Should end up costing me about $2.92)
Old 11-23-07, 05:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ltrain
We have the Kevin Smith one at my store in VT. Another title that might be of interest to some people was People Vs. Larry Flynt SE. I've never seen the film, but am thinking about picking it up next week when we have our employee discount day. (Should end up costing me about $2.92)

Any chance you have an actual list of all the titles that are included in the sale for this price?
Old 11-23-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JediJones
These appear to be by and large the same mix of titles Big Lots got for their $2.00 Friday sale, and actually seems to have been getting in all November for $3.00. There has been some mention of FYE getting them also in that thread. Did you happen to see if Casualties of War: Extended Cut or An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder showed up at your FYE? I checked 6 Big Lots and 2 FYEs but those are the only 2 from this bonanza I haven't been able to find yet.
I didn't see Casualties of War EE, but I did see An Evening with Kevin Smith and People vs. Larry Flint - both 2-DVD editions. I passed on both because I'm trying to avoid stuff that is full of profanity and/or sex/nudity.

I missed the thread about the Big Lots sale today because it was buried in the Big Lots update thread which I normally don't read because my nearby Big Lots never has anything good listed in that thread. Unless my Big Lots brought in new bins of DVDs just for the sale, it would've been a total waste because almost nothing on that list was there when I looked a week ago. I guess I'll have to live with paying the extra 36c each at FYE since I'm too tired to go out again and all Big Lots are probably out of everything good.

Last edited by Manzana; 11-23-07 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The DVDs on sale all have a special barcode sticker. They ring up as "BARGAIN DVD-488 Special". The same title may be on a shelf elsewhere but if it doesn't have the barcode sticker, it won't ring up cheap.
Old 11-23-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI - The only problem is that these titles vary greatly by store. My local FYE had almost none of the ones listed in the original post. I can't remember all of them, but the ones I recall were....

A River Runs Through It (Deluxe Edition)
The Squid And The Whale
Flatliners
Roxanne
Philadelphia (2 Disc deluxe)
Nine Lives
Wild Things (Original release)
People Vs. Larry Flint
Christmas with the Kranks
Mixed Nuts
The Missing
Urban Legend

...many others, too.

And as far as BIG LOTS goes, I have two relatively near by, and neither of them has ever had any DVDs for sale - so I guess that's really a YMMV situation, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-23-07 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-23-07, 08:46 PM

Was this a Friday only sale? Or does it go through Saturday/the weekend?
Old 11-23-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Any chance you have an actual list of all the titles that are included in the sale for this price?

No such list exists, these titles are generic skus and come in 100 piece prepacks. Mixed bag, every store got a slightly differerent variation and no rhyme or reason can be determined IMO.
Old 11-23-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JiM T
Was this a Friday only sale? Or does it go through Saturday/the weekend?

The flyer says "Friday and Saturday" only. After that, I reckon they'll just be $4.88 each.
Old 11-24-07, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by db27
No such list exists, these titles are generic skus and come in 100 piece prepacks. Mixed bag, every store got a slightly differerent variation and no rhyme or reason can be determined IMO.
A manager told me they were being sold on consignment. I assume FYE's selling Big Lots' overstock.
Old 11-24-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
A manager told me they were being sold on consignment. I assume FYE's selling Big Lots' overstock.
the manager is wrong, they were a bulk buy we got a deal on as a company. we don't do consignment for anything but local music, and even that is unusual.

these are simply a case of buying existing inventory from a company that was either overstocked or went under and then applying a generic sku to all.
Old 11-24-07, 05:00 PM
ktg

Originally Posted by mnementh
That makes sense.

There was only one stinkin' film on the OP's list that I wanted...Memento 2-disk. Went to FOUR stores----none of them had it. However, I did see every other title he has listed.
Old 11-24-07, 05:39 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Got the following:

Kevin Smith 2
Steve McQueen Two film (wonder how that can be a 'collection' - anything to market)
Charlie's Angels Superbit 2 disc
Guns of Navarone
Stephen King - Kingdom Hospital the Beginning
Monster - 2 Disc Special Edition
XXX - 2 disc Unrated, Extended Edition
Where The truth Lies - Unrated

Also picked up Oliver Twist (Roman Polanski) for $4.99. $28 for all with tax

Edit: Just learn from Amazon that the Stephen King title is only the first 3 episodes and not the entire series. Fcuk !! Back it goes.
Old 11-24-07, 09:57 PM

Went to the 7th Big Lots and 3rd FYE today but still no Kevin Smith 2 or Casualties of War. What sucks if FYE has Kevin Smith 2 in the normal section but it rings up for $19.99 because it doesn't have the new UPC sticker all the sale titles do. One FYE had a bin full of these titles, but the other 2 just had a little endcap wall filled with what seemed like far fewer titles. Of course when I ask they tell me that's all they have. Somehow I doubt they got just enough to perfectly fill that little section and no extra. I did see Shampoo in the sale rack this time. I don't think that was ever mentioned in the Big Lots thread.
Old 11-25-07, 02:44 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Hit another store near me and got the following this morning:

Kevin Smith 2 - Evening Harder
Shampoo
The Blue Lagoon + Return to Blue Lagoon 2 pk
Dean Martin Double Feature (Who was that Lady + How to Save a Marriage)
Cirque Du Soleil - Midnight Sun
The Dark
Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within - 2 Disc Special Edition
Augustus

$22 in all !!!

And then I got 'Two Brothers' from a $4.99 bin for a total $27 + tax.

thanks to the OP for mentioning this. BTW, this sale is still going on contrary to what we thought about it ending on 24th.
Old 11-28-07, 08:27 AM

Finally found an FYE with some Kevin Smith 2 sets left. They had 4 of them at the Cheltenham, PA store. Price is back up to $4.88. They had plenty of other movies from this shipment still there. No Memento or Casualties of War but a lot of others.
Old 11-28-07, 09:52 AM

I take it the $3.49 DVDs are now up to $4.88? Is the B3G1F promotion still running?
Old 11-28-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
I take it the $3.49 DVDs are now up to $4.88? Is the B3G1F promotion still running?
not chainwide, some managers might continue it to get rid of the stuff but they are not supposed to.

all stores got 300 of these generic dvds, so I don't know if more will come.
Old 11-28-07, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've bought a few of these at Big Lots recently. Title availability varies greatly by store. I didn't see it listed but Closer (superbit) was also at Big Lots. A lot of these were available on BF for $2. Some still are as I just picked up Being Julia, Blue Thunder, Breakfast On Pluto, Can't Hardly Wait, Fun With Dick & Jane, and Mary Reilly all for $2 each yesterday.
Old 12-02-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
I found some of these at 1 FYE in my area. I called several others to see if they had 1 particular title. Every one of the stores stated that they weren't participating in this sale & claimed they had never even received the assortment. Only reason I'm tending to believe it is because several stores told me the same thing.