Reload this Page >

Laserdisc audio

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Laserdisc audio

Old 11-22-07, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laserdisc audio

Dear DVDTalk posters,
I have a particulary complicated question regarding the process of ripping audio from a laserdisc, specifically an isolated score, something I haven't the faintest idea about doing and require as much help as possible. My plan is to buy a NTSC copy of the film (my names a clue), which I think is going to have an isolated score track, that I can then rip from a player with a isolated audio output. Does this at all seem possible?, and if not what why do you reccomend I approach this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Sardo

P.s. My apologies if this question does not belong in this section.
Old 11-23-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 179 Posts
On laserdisc, generally speaking, supplemental audio content such as commentaries or isolated scores were stored on the analog channels, which can only be output from a player using the L/R analog connections. You cannot transmit that over a digital Coaxial or Optical connection.

So in that sense they are not easily "rippable". You will need to connect the player to a recording device with analog audio inputs.
Old 11-24-07, 06:38 AM

Thanks for your reply Josh Z, is there any devices you could name of that do such a thing?
Old 11-24-07, 02:58 PM

I have an 8-track recorder that would do it for you...

seriously, any recording device with the good ol' red and white audio inputs.
Old 11-25-07, 10:36 AM

In the other hand, you don't really need to rip it at all, if both the DVD and the laserdisc are NTSC so they're the exact same length.

Assuming you're using computer, you can just plug the audio outputs of the LD player into the input plug of your audio card, silence all other sounds except the said input from the volume control panel and play the DVD and the laserdisc simultaneously, thus receiving video from DVD and audio from LD...of course, you might have issues with sync...which you'd have anyway if you played the LD audio from the computer itself, so why exactly are you doing it, anyway?
Old 11-25-07, 05:49 PM

I'm trying to isolate parts of the score, since the score wasn't released and the original soundtrack only offers a partial part of the main cue. It's purely for my own listening pleasure. I'm imagining that part of the Laserdisc has isolated the score, is there any way to tell? I heard a rumour that NTSC did and PAL often didn't, but is there any detail or way of knowing?
Old 11-26-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sardo_Numspa
I'm trying to isolate parts of the score, since the score wasn't released and the original soundtrack only offers a partial part of the main cue. It's purely for my own listening pleasure. I'm imagining that part of the Laserdisc has isolated the score, is there any way to tell? I heard a rumour that NTSC did and PAL often didn't, but is there any detail or way of knowing?
An isolated score needs to be deliberately encoded on the disc as a bonus feature. There's no way to extract the score from an otherwise complete sound mix.

What disc are you referring to?
Old 11-26-07, 03:44 PM

I'm referring to 'The Golden Child'. I was obviously incorrectly told that the mix on a laserdisc was not a mixdown like DVD and was isolated on seperate channels. This is why I going down this route, to obtain it in it's pure form. As far as I can remember from it's listings, it doesn't have a bonus features, does that leave any hope?
Old 11-26-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sardo_Numspa
I'm referring to 'The Golden Child'. I was obviously incorrectly told that the mix on a laserdisc was not a mixdown like DVD and was isolated on seperate channels.
No, there is no way to extract the score from the completed sound mix. Feature film mixes typically have dozens of separate audio tracks running concurrently (one for dialogue, one for music, one for ambience, and many for specific types of sound effects). It's the mixers job to take all of those separate audio stems and combine them into either 2 or 5.1 channels of audio. The score may even be broken down into its own separate channels so that he can determine which instruments to emphasize in the mix.

The Golden Child laserdisc does not contain an isolated score.
Old 11-26-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Golden Child laserdisc does not contain an isolated score.
You may want to try using a backdoor. Try contacting the composer. S/He may be so flattered that they may provide you with the audio recording tracks of the isolated score. Sure, it is a long shot, but I wouldn't consider it an impossibility! (Oops, except Michel Colombier is dead... but you could try someone else!)
Old 11-27-07, 04:01 PM

You may want to try using a backdoor. Try contacting the composer. S/He may be so flattered that they may provide you with the audio recording tracks of the isolated score.
Tried that, and this method was kind of a suggestion. Anyway, I'll have to resign to what is on the ost, thanks everyone.
Old 11-28-07, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rfduncan
You may want to try using a backdoor. Try contacting the composer. S/He may be so flattered that they may provide you with the audio recording tracks of the isolated score. Sure, it is a long shot, but I wouldn't consider it an impossibility! (Oops, except Michel Colombier is dead... but you could try someone else!)
Someone's been watching WarGames. You never know, Colombier may be living under an assumed name in Goose Island, Oregon.