Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How many more season will we have to endure of Dancing with the Stars?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I mean come on how much longer will we have to see this shit on tv. Dumb D-list celebrities at best, acting like this good for their careers when its really just sad. Why do people eat this shit up when they should be watching good shows on Monday like how I met your mother?
Old 11-20-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're not watching it, then it shouldn't bother you.
Old 11-20-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I mean come on how much longer will we have to see this shit on tv. Dumb D-list celebrities at best, acting like this good for their careers when its really just sad. Why do people eat this shit up when they should be watching good shows on Monday like how I met your mother?
I don't like Dancing With The Stars, but I think your question reveals more about you than it does either show.

First, Your use of profanity tells me cool is important to you. HIMYM is cool and Dancing with the Stars is not. Gotta protect your street cred.

Second, your not the brightest lightbulb on the xmas tree. You don't "have" to see anything.

Third you judge people by what YOU believe is smart, which from point two is now in question. These people are not "dumb". You cannot measure their intelligence though a television, any more than they can measure yours for watching it.

Fourth, While I like HIMYM, anyone with a basic sense of demographics would understand HIMYM caters to predominantly young audience. It is not going to ever reach the mass audiences. Not because it isn't good, but because it isn't for them. Dancing with the Stars appeals to a much broader audience and the ratings reflect this.
Old 11-20-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
23M+ viewers watch it every week. It's going to be around awhile.

I only watched one season (season 2) and thought it was fun, but quickly lost interest in season 3 and gave up as it wasn't compelling for me anymore. I couldn't see myself watching 3+ hours a week of this and seeing the grand prize was a crappy silver trophy. But I can see why so many people love it.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-20-07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
If you're not watching it, then it shouldn't bother you.
It does when I have to listen to people at work talk about it all day long.
Old 11-20-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't worry, ABC has another show, Dance War, in January. I'm sure you'll love it!

But as a big fan of Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance" show, I can share some of your frustration. I consider SYTYCD to be a far better show than DWTS, yet it only gets about half or a third of DWTS' viewers.
Old 11-20-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
I don't like Dancing With The Stars, but I think your question reveals more about you than it does either show.

First, Your use of profanity tells me cool is important to you. HIMYM is cool and Dancing with the Stars is not. Gotta protect your street cred.

Second, your not the brightest lightbulb on the xmas tree. You don't "have" to see anything.

Third you judge people by what YOU believe is smart, which from point two is now in question. These people are not "dumb". You cannot measure their intelligence though a television, any more than they can measure yours for watching it.

Fourth, While I like HIMYM, anyone with a basic sense of demographics would understand HIMYM caters to predominantly young audience. It is not going to ever reach the mass audiences. Not because it isn't good, but because it isn't for them. Dancing with the Stars appeals to a much broader audience and the ratings reflect this.
Quoted for truth.
Old 11-21-07, 12:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
Fourth, While I like HIMYM, anyone with a basic sense of demographics would understand HIMYM caters to predominantly young audience. It is not going to ever reach the mass audiences. Not because it isn't good, but because it isn't for them.
I agree for the most part, but shows that cater to a young audience can reach a mass audience, i.e. Friends.
Old 11-21-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dancing With the Stars seems like it is going to become an institution just like Survivor and American Idol have. Sorry, fella.
Old 11-21-07, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wife watches it

if my son was older he would watch it too along with So You Think You Can Dance. Great way to get exposed to the arts
Old 11-21-07, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 7Keys
It does when I have to listen to people at work talk about it all day long.
Then tell them to shut their pie holes...
Old 11-21-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have only watched a few minutes, but it didn't really grab me. I never really was able to get into American Idol either. My grandmother loves Dancing With the Stars, and even went to see one of the events.
Old 11-21-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
As long as there are very hot female professional dancers performing wearing revealing outfits, I'll be watching.

I only watch the performance show and with a DVR, it takes about a half-hour to watch.

I've seen the CBS comedies on Monday. I'm not missing anything there. But regardless, with multiple tuners/DVRs, I could watch them if I wanted to. But thanks for telling me what I should watch. By the way, if you want a good comedy to watch Monday, watch Aliens in America.
Old 11-21-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Critically acclaimed shows don’t get high rating anymore, don’t you know that? Its 2007! get with the program!

Why do you think Dancing With the Stars and CSI: Miami are the top 2 programs on Monday night? Because they are boring and mindless entertainment, that’s what people love these days and if you can’t join them, you’re in my minority.

A brilliant show like 30 Rock is never going to get 21 million + viewers. Or in other words, it's never going to get Seinfeld numbers. It'll never slowly build and build up an audience until it become the #1 program in television, primetime television isn't like that anymore and it'll never be like that again.
Old 11-21-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When it first came on I thought it was stupid that a cheesy show could become such a big hit. Then I heard Stacy Keibler was going to be on so I decided it might not be so bad The female professionals are great eye candy so I will continue to watch.
Old 11-21-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
All who have watched Survivor are to blame. Those who watch American Idol are to blame. Those who watch Amazing Race are to blame.

Meh, it only irritates me because it means there is some great show that I would love that isn't making it, but there is still more this season that I enjoy than in any past year. But I don't understand how people can watch 15 minutes of dancing and put up with so much filler. That is the way of these shows. It's like watching the Olympics.

But I am blown away by the numbers it gets.
Old 11-21-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It's a ratings powerhouse. It will be on until people stop watching it, probably not for years to come.

My wife loves it. I clean the family room of my mess while she does, then watch Julianne Hough

and get back to my life. She's amazing.
Old 11-21-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
I am tired of it being covered on the news when its not really news.
Old 11-21-07, 01:08 PM

As much as I hate crap like Dancing With The D-Listers, Idol, etc. I'm not going to complain, because for everyone piece of crap, bottom of the barrel, mind-wrenchingly dumb piece of reality crap or sitcom garbage like Two and A Half Men on the air there's a parallel piece of equal brilliance somewhere else.

Arrested Development may only have ran for two and a half season, but it's two and a half seasons of the best comedy ever filmed. Thirty Rock might not survive beyond this year, but it's 2 seasons of brilliance. In the last 10 years we've had Lost, The Shield, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Rescue Me, It's Alway Sunny In Philadelphia, Battlestar Galactica, The Office, The West Wing, Angel, Buffy, Firefly, Veronica Mars, Band of Brothers, Spaced, Black Books, Carnivale, Weeds, Six Feet Under, Dexter, Entourage, Sportsnight, Freaks And Geeks, Futurama, South Park, Venture Brothers, just off the top of my head.

So while there may be crappier crap on the air than has ever aired before, with lower lows than have ever been seen, there's also higher highs than we've ever had. Honestly, I think we live in a golden age of televison... there's never been a time with more great stuff than we've had in the last decade, and if the bottom 85% is crappier than the bottom 85% has ever been then it's worth it to have that amazing top level 15%.

EDIT: I just checked my TiVo record list, and right now the list contains The Office, Rescue Me, The Shield, Battlestar Galactica, 30 Rock, Dexter, Weeds, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Curb, Californiaction, Weeds, Entourage, Mad Men, Flight of the Conchords, and Pushing Daisies.

I dare anyone to find any time in TV history where you can put together a better list of 17 shows running concurrently than that.

Last edited by Son-volt; 11-21-07 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 03:09 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
With the billion channels there are now, there had better be more great shows on television than ever before.
Old 11-21-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
You had me until the last five words of your post.

Oh well, at least those five words weren't "two and a half men"
Old 11-21-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is how it works...everyone can pick up a remote and change channels until they find a show that they like to watch, and you stop on that show and watch it. Repeat as many times as necessary. I will stop on DWTS and you will continue on to HIMYM. Simple.
Old 11-21-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe there should be a show called Dancing With How I Met Your Mother.
Old 11-21-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep it simpler: Dancing with Your Mother.
Old 11-21-07, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
With the billion channels there are now, there had better be more great shows on television than ever before.
Oh, I don't know, there's probably more radio stations than ever before and I'm certainly not going to try to make a case for this being a golden age of radio.

Now they're certainly different formats. But I don't think that more outlets necessarily means more quality stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.