DVD Talk
Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional" [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Pages : 1 [2] 3

jack999
03-30-09, 10:44 AM
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. :shrug: I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :PIs this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.

Ocelot
03-30-09, 11:55 AM
Is this because the Kindle doesn't support PDF Digital Edition books? I imagine this was a definite design choice. Amazon produced the books so people would buy books, not check them out at a library.

I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore :eek: Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).

jack999
03-31-09, 09:29 AM
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.

As to Kindle don't do PDFs, it's true, but you can convert the PDFs to PRC which can be read in the Kindle. However, i don't know if you can do that with the library's PDFs. Even if you can, it must be some reference or old stuff, which you can probably get them free anyway. I don't think you can check out ebooks from the New York Times bestsellers... With the limited physical books, you certainly have to wait for your turn. But with the ebook thingy, i don't know how will that play out... If it's true, you don't need to buy the hot sellers anymore :eek: Because with the Kindle, you can check out virtually anywhere and almost anytime (as long as the library's server is working?).I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?

meglet
03-31-09, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?

It's more of a "maybe." It depends on the format your library uses for the electronic books, and how much effort you want to put into getting those books on your Kindle. I think the New York Library system uses a compatible format, for example.

If you really want to put library books on your Kindle, there are instructions, probably at Mobile Read (http://www.mobileread.com) but if not, you should be able to find them through Google.

Personally, I've found that I'm willing to just pay for the ease of buying books from the Kindle store, and the knowledge that they will "just work" when I'm ready to read them.

movieking
03-31-09, 03:58 PM
Sorry, AFAIK you'll need a Sony Reader to take advantage of free online borrowing from electronic libraries. :shrug: I don't think the Kindle handles the formats required (secure Adobe or Mobipocket). So, no trips to the library with the Kindle, but no access to online libraries either! :P

Anyone know if there is a list of Canadian libraries that has online borrowing from electronic libraries? I'd love to try it out.

Jay G.
03-31-09, 05:23 PM
I guess so... maybe the whole library thing might not make it to the Kindle. Since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you can checkout the library books virtually anywhere. Where the Sony eReader needs a computer to do that.I'm sorry, but what I got from your reply was yes you can read checked out library books on the Kindle and then no, you can't. Can you clarify?
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.

jack999
04-01-09, 08:35 AM
I think Ocelot meant to write "since with the Kindle's Whispernet, you could checkout the library books virtually anywhere." He wasn't saying you can do it now, but it's possible.

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.

Ocelot
04-02-09, 02:38 PM

Libraries use mostly MOBI and PDF formats, but they use the DRM-ed protected versions of those formats. Kindle currently doesn't support any DRM format except Amazon's own AMZ, so most library "rentals" will not work.

yes, could, not CAN, thanks for the fix Jay G. Wishful thinking on my part...

Ginwen
04-02-09, 02:44 PM

You can read them, but you need the PID for your Kindle, which you can get with a python script. Instructions used to be found on mobileread, but for now Amazon lamely made them take them down (right after the IPhone ap became available, so it's probably related to that).

Ocelot
04-02-09, 02:45 PM
This is like buying an espresso machine at Starbucks only to find it will only work with Starbucks coffee. I avoid situations like that.

Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself :lol:

p.s. if you keep renewing the rental and the total fee is greater than the book's price, you get to keep it for a small fee. Sounds pretty interesting yes?

Ginwen
04-02-09, 02:58 PM
Yes, it does sound like that for the Kindle at the moment. And, actually, i have a feeling that it's gonna stay that way for the Kindle. I mean, if the Kindle allows you checking out public library books, it's a revenue killer... Just imagine you can just checkout the popular new releases via Whispernet, that defeat the purpose of having the Kindle library for sale. Now, what i want to see is, can we perhaps rent the Kindle library books? It's like the espresso machine that you bought at Starbucks. It still only works at Starbucks, but you only pay a fraction of the cost for a cup of espresso, the difference is that if you don't drink it in a given period of time, it automatically empties itself :lol:

If they ever want to be more than a nitch, I think they'll have to get over that. It's dumb anyway, I have about 10 library books on my Kindle, and I've bought about 15 books since I got it, so they're still getting their money from me. Also, the library has to buy each copy of the book they check out, I've had to put a hold on an ebook because the library only had 3 copies and 7 people wanted it (and since Amazon owns Mobi, they're getting money for all those library copies, and the more they "circulate", the more copies libraries are going to purchase, so more money for Amazon).

Ocelot
04-03-09, 10:04 AM
Learning some new everyday Ginwen, thanks for the info... So, it does seem that Amazon could profit from the public library angle! As of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy :D I refuse to pay anything over $5... After all, you can't really share, sell or even donate (as in donate to the library). By the time i catch up my readings, i think there will be some interesting new developments.

jack999
04-04-09, 08:29 AM
LAs of now, i only paid $4 on one Kindle book. Manga and backlogs are keeping me busy :D I refuse to pay anything over $5... I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?

Ginwen
04-04-09, 10:45 AM
I thought all the Kindle books were at least 9 bucks?

Nope. A lot of newly released books are 9.99, and a few are a bit more. But most are less. Most of mine that aren't free have been around $4 - $7.

RichardW
04-15-09, 03:15 PM
I got my Kindle a week and a half ago and love it. I'm half-way through my second book on it and can't see myself going back to regular books. It's nice not having to carry a 600 page book around anymore.

RichardW
04-20-09, 12:25 PM
From Amazon's Kindle blog:

You've been asking, and we're enormously pleased to announce that J.R.R. Tolkien is now available on Kindle. You can now download The Children of Hurin, The Fellowship of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Return of the King, and The Two Towers.

We'd blog more about this, but let's face it, you just want the Tolkien. Happy hobbiting.

:bdance:

milo bloom
04-26-09, 10:51 AM
Did a quick skim through this thread, and didn't see anything conclusive, what's the best bookreader for an iPod, non-touch, non phone model. Just something for old public domain stuff (Jules Verne, HG Wells, etc)?

thanks

Crizzar
04-26-09, 11:18 AM
Stanza. It's a great little app and there's a ton of free stuff available.

Michael T Hudson
04-26-09, 01:25 PM
I read the intro of See No Evil on my iPhone with the kindle. It was better than I expected. I would not mind having a full size kindle but the small screen was not bad.

milo bloom
04-26-09, 02:45 PM

Looks like it's for the iPhone and iPod touch. I only have a 3rd Gen nano.

darkside
04-26-09, 06:57 PM
It also supports the ereader.com and fictionwise.com store. Since they were bought out by Barnes and Noble they have had several big releases including the Lord of the Rings books.

pelenor
04-27-09, 11:53 PM
Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon

seisui
04-28-09, 11:11 AM
Apparently Amazon just bought the company that created the Stanza app.

http://www.lexcycle.com/lexcycle_acquired_by_amazon

Damn! I was hoping Apple would gobble them up and offer e-books via itunes. There goes any hopes of standardized pricing for e-books...

GatorDeb
04-28-09, 04:56 PM
BTW you CAN use your library's DRM mobi books on the Kindle without stripping the DRM. Search "Kindlefix python."

Ocelot
04-30-09, 10:58 AM
Interesting... the Python can be handy, thanks for the info GatorDeb.

For the time being, Alchemist is free for the Kindle, so get it while it's hot.

RichardW
04-30-09, 01:07 PM

Awesome! I've been wanting to get this book. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ginwen
04-30-09, 01:18 PM
Thanks. As a non-romance novel free book, I'll check it out (teen is fine, romance=no way). Hopefully it's not written by Michael Scott of the Michael Scott Paper company.

Here's a link, since The Alchemist shows up in a lot of Kindle titles: http://www.amazon.com/The-Alchemyst-ebook/dp/B000SCHBGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1241115325&sr=1-1

xmiyux
04-30-09, 02:36 PM
The Alchemist is an excellent Coelho novel imo.

RichardW
04-30-09, 03:52 PM
Is there a way to find a list of Kindle books as they add them or are we on are own?

The reason I ask is because I looked last week and didn't see any Phillip K. Dick novels. Yesterday I searched for "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" because I was going to click on the link to request it for Kindle and now it is available as are quite a few of his other novels.

Vel
05-04-09, 10:11 AM
Might try some free-ware sites (not sure if the copyright is out on that book) - there are a few that post new books the day the copyright expires

Jay G.
05-04-09, 11:19 AM
Is there a way to find a list of Kindle books as they add them or are we on are own?
Here's a link to Amazon's "Hot New Releases" list for Kindle items:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/new-releases/digital-text/ref=pd_nr_kinc_ldr_digital-text

At the bottom of that page is a link for the RSS feed.

Here's a link to their free download page:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1268197011&ref_=amb_link_83988291_1

As an aside, I found this site listing "Top 50 Kindle 2 Sites":
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/04/17/top-50-kindle-tools-kindle-2-websites/

Gizmo
05-04-09, 10:15 PM
Bigger Kindle coming Wednesday...screen is huge!

Ginwen
05-06-09, 01:21 AM
A couple of freebie SF books I came across today I don't remember seeing before. Neither shows up on the Amazon free page. Both are first of a series.

Elric Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock
http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Stealer-Souls-ebook/dp/B0013TX6EY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1241586728&sr=1-1

The Axis of Time: Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham
http://www.amazon.com/Axis-Time-Weapons-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B000FC1QBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1241590808&sr=1-1

RichardW
05-06-09, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info on the Elric book!

milo bloom
05-06-09, 03:20 PM
If anyone cares, I discovered how to use the "notes" function on my iPod nano. You just copy the text into Notepad, then save to your iPod and read as a text. I am running into a filesize limitation per each file. Anyone have any experience with that?

movieking
05-07-09, 09:02 AM
New Kindle DX is on the Amazon.com page. The Amazon DX screen is 2.5 times as large as the regular kindle. It's better for PDF files, and for reading newspapers and magazines and textbooks.

I'd have no interest precisely because it is so much bigger, but I can see it serving a market.

Ocelot
05-07-09, 09:22 AM
So, i've heard that if you subscribe to the NY Times or something like that you get the Kindle DX for free?

movieking
05-07-09, 10:32 AM
Not free, but at a discount maybe:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/first-impressions-of-the-new-kindle-dx/

"Three newspapers — The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Boston Globe — will offer a reduced price on the Kindle in exchange for a long-term subscription. The Times and Globe will be offered starting this summer in areas where home delivery is not available. No prices of that promotion were released."

Ocelot
05-07-09, 10:35 AM
The Alchemist is an excellent Coelho novel imo.

I'm 30% in and already put money down for the Magician. Damn, i guess the free Alchemist (Book spelled Alchemyst) is not really free :lol:

Ocelot
05-07-09, 10:39 AM
Not free, but at a discount maybe:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/first-impressions-of-the-new-kindle-dx/

"Three newspapers — The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Boston Globe — will offer a reduced price on the Kindle in exchange for a long-term subscription. The Times and Globe will be offered starting this summer in areas where home delivery is not available. No prices of that promotion were released."

Ah, thanks man, i wonder what the reduced price is... for people read those papers, i think it's all good. While I like the DX's bigger screen, but it's not very portable, especially on the crowded Subway trains. However, the DX is great if you're in your comfortable reading spot :) (but then so does any paper books, :lol:).

kaze0
05-07-09, 11:00 AM
Just noticed that I apparently own 2 kindles according to Amazon... :/

Nth Power
05-07-09, 07:31 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Lee Child's Persuader (http://www.amazon.com/Persuader-ebook/dp/B000FBJDF2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241742385&sr=8-3) is free for download until May 19th.

Amazon.com Review
Jack Reacher, the taciturn ex-MP whose adventures in Lee Child's six previous solidly plotted, expertly paced thrillers have won a devoted fan base, returns in this explosive tale of an undercover operation set up by the FBI to rescue an agent investigating Zachary Beck, a reclusive tycoon believed to be a kingpin in the drug trade. The novel begins with a bang as Reacher rescues Beck's son from a staged kidnapping in order to get close to his father--and trace the connection between Beck and Quinn, a former army intelligence officer who tried to sell blueprints of a secret weapon to Iraq but was murdered before he could pull it off. Or so Reacher thinks, until he spots Quinn in the crowd at a concert in Boston. As usual, Child ratchets up the tension and keeps the reader in suspense until the last page, although his enigmatic hero hardly ever seems to break a sweat. In the tough guy tradition, Reacher and his creator are overdue for a breakout, and this muscular, well-written mystery might be the one. --Jane Adams

Ginwen
05-07-09, 10:45 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Lee Child's Persuader (http://www.amazon.com/Persuader-ebook/dp/B000FBJDF2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241742385&sr=8-3) is free for download until May 19th.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

xmiyux
05-08-09, 08:00 AM
So how far way are we from having color e-ink displays? This larger Kindle has very much piqued my interest and if they eventually move to one that will let me view magazines and comic books on it (a page at a time) in color just like they would be on paper.... I would be all over that thing.

Jay G.
05-08-09, 09:20 AM
So how far way are we from having color e-ink displays?
Not until 2010 sometime.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/pvis-color-e-ink-delayed-until-2010-big-screen-sony-reader-com/

bdshort
05-08-09, 02:54 PM
I like the looks of the bigger Kindle, and I can see the native PDF support as a huge plus for a big group of people. Any word of if Amazon plans on moving that support to the smaller Kindle? I am actually moving towards getting some sort of e-book reader soon, as I think it would come in great on overnight or weekend hiking and kayaking trips I plan on making this summer. I may wait for color support or lower prices on B&W units though, I still think they're kind of expensive.

al_bundy
05-11-09, 12:57 PM
i'm looking to buy an iphone or ipod touch this summer and Amazon has a Kindle app for it. Rumor is that Apple is also coming out with a tablet this year and Amazon will probably port Kindle to it as well or they will just add a book section to the ITunes store.

No way that i'm paying $400 to $500 just for something that only can be used for books. and i've read opinions on the internet that Amazon doesn't really care about the Kindle hardware. they just want to jumpstart the software market, get their software on as many devices and will probably kill the hardware as soon as they can

darkside
05-11-09, 02:03 PM
No way that i'm paying $400 to $500 just for something that only can be used for books. and i've read opinions on the internet that Amazon doesn't really care about the Kindle hardware. they just want to jumpstart the software market, get their software on as many devices and will probably kill the hardware as soon as they can

I agree with the first part. The Ipod Touch/Iphone is actually great for reading books on. I don't find the screen too small at all since I can adjust the font to a comfortable level. Carrying that Kindle DX around with me is an insane idea and even the regular is bigger than I would want.

I disagree with the second part though. I think Amazon wants to dominate the ebook world in software and hardware. The Kindle is the perfect device for them because it steers all your purchases to them and since your books are in that format it encourages you to keep buying future Kindles. The average consumer is not going to figure out how to strip DRM or any of that other stuff. They will just keep buying Kindle books and Kindle hardware.

PalmerJoss
05-11-09, 02:16 PM
So I broke down and bought a Kindle 2 and, I must say, I absolutely love it. I'm wondering, though, if there is a way to change the info for the author on the Kindle? I have some books where the author name will be in the form of "last name, first name" and I want to change that so the author name would read normally, with the first name appearing first. Is there a way to change that?

Drop
05-11-09, 02:26 PM
I agree with the first part. The Ipod Touch/Iphone is actually great for reading books on. I don't find the screen too small at all since I can adjust the font to a comfortable level. Carrying that Kindle DX around with me is an insane idea and even the regular is bigger than I would want.

It's not the screen size of an Iphone that's the problem, it's the display itself. I cannot stare into an LCD for hours on end like I can a piece of paper. The e-ink tech is like paper. That's what matters most. Iphone is a convenient portable, but it's not like Kindle 2 is a big inconvenience. I'm used to carrying books, I don't need them to fit in my pocket. Kindle 2 is a fine size, Kindle DX seems like something you'd use at home or in a hotel room only.

I'm glad their's a Kindle app for the Iphone, seems great as a supplement to catch a few pages when I'm out, like when the GFs in the dressing room. As the main reading device, it fails for me.

emachine12
05-11-09, 02:53 PM
I use the Kindle app on my iPod Touch to pass time. I really don't use it for leisure use but when stuck in a line, stuck waiting for someone, or stuck period; it works great.

I do wish the Kindle app supported newspaper and magazines but then they would be selling out of their pockets with that option.

darkside
05-11-09, 03:10 PM
It's not the screen size of an Iphone that's the problem, it's the display itself. I cannot stare into an LCD for hours on end like I can a piece of paper.
I know this is a common complaint, but I have read ebooks on an LCD screen for 10 years now and I actually find reading on eink to be irritating since it has no backlight and you are limited to black and white text. I think I just got used to it out of necessity since it was the only option for so long, but I have no eye strain or headaches at all and I sometimes read for 2-3 hours in a sitting on my iPod Touch. I will alter the color of text and backgrounds and keep the light at comfortable level when reading though.

I would consider a kindle like device if they would make one the size of an ipod touch, give it some kind of back or side lighting like the new Sony Reader and price it around $100. That is pretty unlikely so I'm sticking withe iPod for now.

al_bundy
05-12-09, 01:02 PM

I disagree with the second part though. I think Amazon wants to dominate the ebook world in software and hardware. The Kindle is the perfect device for them because it steers all your purchases to them and since your books are in that format it encourages you to keep buying future Kindles. The average consumer is not going to figure out how to strip DRM or any of that other stuff. They will just keep buying Kindle books and Kindle hardware.

Amazon just released an updated Kindle app in ITunes. why would they do it if they cared about their hardware being exclusive?

my guess is that in the next few years we'll see the release of Apple like tablets from various manufacturers. they will be a midpoint between laptop and cell phone. they will be instant on like the iphone and the kindle will just be another app on them.

the kindle is expensive partly due to it's limited user base. once we see more multi-purpose devices that are as large as the kindle for a slightly higher price there will be no point in buying one.

RichardW
06-18-09, 11:10 AM
"Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold!" is available for free. It sucks they don't have the whole Magic Kingdom of Landover series available for the Kindle, but I'll gladly take part 1 for free.

movieking
06-19-09, 05:59 AM
There is now a Michael Connelly Limited Edition Reader (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665891183&in_merch=SubjectLanding_Mystery_Connelly%20Reader_Rt_2).

Bundle includes:

* An eBook code for one bundle download of three of Michael Connelly's favorite titles: Trunk Music, Echo Park, andLost Light.
* A second eBook coupon code for 30% off any 3 other Michael Connelly eBooks.
* Sneak peak chapters of two of Connelly's new books: Nine Dragons and Scarecrow.
* A letter from Michael Connelly
* A custom embossed Michael Connelly book cover

meglet
06-22-09, 04:04 PM
"Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold!" is available for free. It sucks they don't have the whole Magic Kingdom of Landover series available for the Kindle, but I'll gladly take part 1 for free.

Oooh, thanks for posting this. Looks like a lot of Terry Brooks's stuff is on Kindle, so hopefully the rest of the series is coming soon.

Edit: and Landover book 3 is also available for Kindle, so it looks like the whole series should be in the conversion process.

GatorDeb
06-29-09, 05:56 PM
I think these are smoking deals:

LOTR Trilogy - $12.24

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0026REBFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1246310826&sr=1-1

Night´s Dawn Trilogy - $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/The-Nights-Dawn-Trilogy/dp/B000QCTOEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1246310858&sr=1-1

Deke Rivers
06-30-09, 07:42 AM
ive been eyeballing Nghtsdawn Trilogy..anyone have any opinions on that one?

Ginwen
06-30-09, 01:02 PM
I think these are smoking deals:
Night´s Dawn Trilogy - $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/The-Nights-Dawn-Trilogy/dp/B000QCTOEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1246310858&sr=1-1

Sounds interesting. For $8 I'll check it out.

Drop
07-08-09, 02:49 PM
The price for the Kindle 2 dropped to $299. Anyone biting now? I would if I didn't plan to get a HDTV this month. One will be mine before the end of the year.

innocentfreak
07-08-09, 02:52 PM
Nope not until the Kindle books drop severely below the price of paperback books. I am talking $1-$2 a paperback or $4-$6 for a new hardback in a Kindle copy. Also they should include Kindle editions with every physical copy you buy to push the device not that they seem to need to since it sells out. Then I would consider one until then I will continue to buy physical copies for cheaper even before I resell them.

Anubis2005X
07-08-09, 03:11 PM
The price for the Kindle 2 dropped to $299. Anyone biting now? I would if I didn't plan to get a HDTV this month. One will be mine before the end of the year.

Still too pricey for me. Maybe in the future when it's like $99.

Steve Phillips
07-08-09, 05:04 PM
I thought about getting a Kindle for a long time, unsure if I'd like it. I finally did a couple of months ago and I love it. I forget that I don't have a book in my hands, and there is tons of content you can get for free or nearly free. I can't see myself buying many books anymore, and I never, ever thought I'd say that.

Drop
07-08-09, 05:29 PM
Nope not until the Kindle books drop severely below the price of paperback books. I am talking $1-$2 a paperback or $4-$6 for a new hardback in a Kindle copy. Also they should include Kindle editions with every physical copy you buy to push the device not that they seem to need to since it sells out. Then I would consider one until then I will continue to buy physical copies for cheaper even before I resell them.

I don't know how you possibly can ever conceive of new books selling that low. How do you expect any publisher or distributor to make money off books that cheap?

The amount of public domain books I would put on their is what's going to justify that price alone.

benedict
07-09-09, 02:49 AM
I don't know how you possibly can ever conceive of new books selling that low. How do you expect any publisher or distributor to make money off books that cheap?I have to wonder how much a publisher grosses from soft and hardback sales before taking out their running costs etc. Methinks there'd be considerable scope for selling e-copies very cheaply as downloads given the much-reduced distributution overheads. And providing an e-copy download with each physical copy seems like a reasonable thing to do.

I'm not saying any of this will happen but I think innocentfreak's point isn't as "out there" as you might imagine i.e. up to a dollar apiece for publisher and author for books that are in softback and double that for premium/just released editions.

jack999
07-09-09, 04:05 PM
I don't know how you possibly can ever conceive of new books selling that low. How do you expect any publisher or distributor to make money off books that cheap?

The amount of public domain books I would put on their is what's going to justify that price alone.Back in the 50's and 60's I worked in my dad's grocery store and we sold brand new pocket books for 25 and 50 cents. An extra thick PB was 75 cents. Those were the prices printed on the books.

I read a book by Gene Klein (hope I remember the name right), the then order of the San Diego Chargers (where I lived then) and he bragged about how he was the first to realize that consumers would be willing to pay much more for PBs. He jacked up the prices, not based on what they cost him, but on what he thought the market would bare.

I know inflation would have raised the prices since then, but a brand new PB in a bookstore is going to cost you over $7. That's way too much inflation. I believe there is one hellava lot of profit in the price of a PB.

Probably one of the smallest expenses in producing a PB is producing the printed book. Profits to the publisher and author and all the other hands in the pie represent much more of the cost, I believe.

For this reason, it's doubtful you'll save much money buying the kindle version. In fact, for those of use who buy only PBs (used or new) the Kindle represents an increase in price if you buy the book while it's still only available as a hardcover/Kindle edition. Does the price go down for the Kindle edition when the book is released as a PB?

Steve Phillips
07-09-09, 05:29 PM
It appears that way. Lots of paperback bestsellers in Kindle editions in the $5-6 range, but many others even less, and tons of classics for free.

Jay G.
07-09-09, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=jack999;9558981Probably one of the smallest expenses in producing a PB is producing the printed book. [/QUOTE]
Paperbacks have that "if you bought this book without a cover..." warning in the front because when a paperback book doesn't sell, the retailer tears off the cover and mails it back for full credit, destroying the rest of the book. Basically, PBs aren't worth the shipping cost to the publishers.

Ginwen
07-10-09, 01:00 PM
ive been eyeballing Nghtsdawn Trilogy..anyone have any opinions on that one?

It took me a while to get into but I'm pretty sucked in now. The thing I don't like as much is that it's a bunch of parallel stories at this point, so I get interested in one and it switches to a different one--in a normal book I'd probably cheat a bit and skip ahead in the stories I like best, not so easy on a kindle.

Also, this sucker is long. I think it'd be around 3000 pages or so. I'm around location 12000 (which is a bit under half the length of the extended version of the stand) and that's 15% of the book.

RichardW
07-11-09, 09:08 AM
I went to purchase Wicked this morning, but it's no longer available. Damn Amazon!

jack999
07-20-09, 12:38 PM
I went to purchase Wicked this morning, but it's no longer available. Damn Amazon!
You think not being able to buy a book is bad, what about having a book you've already bought being taken from you? Check out this link:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/168654/amazon_removes_ebooks_from_kindle_store_revokes_ownership.html?tk=nl_wbx_h_crawl1

benedict
07-21-09, 03:05 AM
The Orwell/Amazon/Copyright matter already has its own thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/558363-amazon-remotely-deletes-1984-kindles.html) - currently on Page One of Book Talk.

Deke Rivers
07-21-09, 10:48 AM
It took me a while to get into but I'm pretty sucked in now. The thing I don't like as much is that it's a bunch of parallel stories at this point, so I get interested in one and it switches to a different one--in a normal book I'd probably cheat a bit and skip ahead in the stories I like best, not so easy on a kindle.

Also, this sucker is long. I think it'd be around 3000 pages or so. I'm around location 12000 (which is a bit under half the length of the extended version of the stand) and that's 15% of the book.

thanks for your input..im thinking ill just grab it and save for the long winter months ..

Drop
07-21-09, 11:05 AM
Looks like Barnes and Noble are entering the ebook/reader market. And it seems they are going to have comparable prices and probably a cheaper device. I'm looking forward to what they have and atleast there will be serious competition now, hopefully this will solidify the future of ebooks and the e-ink technology.

al_bundy
07-21-09, 11:13 AM

The amount of public domain books I would put on their is what's going to justify that price alone.

when you have to spend money to print paper books then you have to be picky with which books you choose to print.

with Kindle book hosting costs being very low you can sign up more writers and sell for less to increase sales. with electronic distribution you don't need a traditional distributor like Ingram Books. the publisher just uploads the book to Amazon who takes a cut like Apple does in the App Store.

Drop
07-21-09, 04:24 PM
Books don't cost that much to print from the perspective of the major publishers. Whatever that price is, you can bet the MSRP is vastly larger. They aren't concerned with recouping the costs of printing, they are concerned with making money. They have to pay the author (who if famous enough makes tons of money), the editor(s), illustrators, the jacket artists, and whoever else is involved in creating the book. Digital or analog most of those costs are still there.

Amazon already has the self publish feature, and obviously those are cheaper and they always will be. But as long as their is a huge corporation that can make tons of money selling new books at $9.99 I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

And let's not forget how many truly awful pointless books are out there that you never see people purchase. If the publisher can convince books stores to stock their books than they probably are already making money off the book. It becomes a question of much more money can they make.

Sean O'Hara
07-22-09, 06:09 PM
when you have to spend money to print paper books then you have to be picky with which books you choose to print.

with Kindle book hosting costs being very low you can sign up more writers and sell for less to increase sales. with electronic distribution you don't need a traditional distributor like Ingram Books. the publisher just uploads the book to Amazon who takes a cut like Apple does in the App Store.

I see two problems with this argument.

First, decreasing the price of books doesn't increase the time people have to read. For your theory to hold, there would have to be lots of people who would read more if only they could afford it. I see no evidence of this.

Second, you're assuming that there are lots of good books that aren't being published. While there are undoubtedly some cases where books aren't published because editors don't think there's enough of a market to justify costs, if you talk to people in the publishing business, they'll tell you that for every 1000 books in their slush piles, 999 are incomprehensible rantings by people of doubtful sanity.

al_bundy
07-22-09, 08:05 PM
You also have middle men in the process now that don't need to be there and aren't there in a digital business model.

Barnes and noble e reader is now out as well and their store is up. Checked it out and looks pretty good

Jay G.
07-23-09, 10:28 AM
You also have middle men in the process now that don't need to be there and aren't there in a digital business model.
With self publishing on the Kindle, you're just replacing one middleman (Publisher) with another (Amazon). For self-publishing, Amazon only pays out 35% of the Suggested Retail Price to the author:
http://forums.digitaltextplatform.com/dtpforums/entry.jspa?externalID=2&categoryID=12

Also, the traditional middleman does a lot more than just get a book in a store; most notably promotion. It doesn't matter much if I have a book in Amazon's store if nobody knows about it and/or cares.

This is why most musicians sign to a label, even a small independent label, instead of going it alone, even though digital distribution of music has been around for over a decade.

Jay G.
07-23-09, 10:37 AM
Barnes and noble e reader is now out as well and their store is up. Checked it out and looks pretty good
I'm assuming you mean B&N's e-reader iPhone app, since their e-reader device isn't due out for a year.
http://business.newsfactor.com/news/Plastic-Logic-Reader-Will-Use-AT-T/story.xhtml?story_id=11200ACFLEC0&full_skip=1

GatorDeb
07-30-09, 03:27 PM
I CANNOT believe it, The Las Vegas Review Journal is now Kindle-ized !!! Instant subscription. I never expected it. Hopefully it sells well and doesn't get pulled. I love reading the paper but hate handling it and really wanted local news. Now I can read the paper on the elliptical !!!

GatorDeb
08-01-09, 01:46 PM
Jeff Bezos' freaky laugh

wJC9nfVdAcE

TheBigDave
08-29-09, 11:17 PM
I've recently thought about buying a Kindle 2. But I haven't kept up to date on the latest news and rumors.

Is there any reason why I should wait? Rumors on when the next version of Kindle will be released? Possible price drops? Any upcoming competitor products?

Also, does anyone know of any sales or deals on the Kindle?

Thanks for the input.

Sean O'Hara
08-30-09, 12:31 AM
I've recently thought about buying a Kindle 2. But I haven't kept up to date on the latest news and rumors.

Is there any reason why I should wait? Rumors on when the next version of Kindle will be released? Possible price drops? Any upcoming competitor products?

Sony is coming out with a bunch of new models, some of which will be cheaper than the Kindle ($199 for the cheapest one, though no wireless connectivity); and Plastic Logic is launching their own line later this year, which is supposed to be competitively priced against the Kindle.

Edited to add: Here you go, a nice little break down of what Sony, Amazon, and Plastic Logic are offering (http://www.crn.com/retail/219500226;jsessionid=Z34AWJ4P3FFFJQE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN?pgno=1). Bottom line, Sony comes out slightly ahead but PL hasn't released a lot of details about their device.

TheBigDave
08-30-09, 10:57 AM
Edited to add: Here you go, a nice little break down of what Sony, Amazon, and Plastic Logic are offering (http://www.crn.com/retail/219500226;jsessionid=Z34AWJ4P3FFFJQE1GHRSKHWATMY32JVN?pgno=1). Bottom line, Sony comes out slightly ahead but PL hasn't released a lot of details about their device.

Great info. Thanks.

Sessa17
08-30-09, 08:26 PM

Also, does anyone know of any sales or deals on the Kindle?

Thanks for the input.

I'm in the same boat. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying one, but like most modern tech, I'm afraid there will be a better version of this coming out as soon as I buy it. I thought Apple was coming out w/ their version, which being that I'm an Apple fanatic I'd rather have. But I really like the idea of a Kindle right now.

Double_Oh_7
09-03-09, 01:09 PM
Sorry, can't justify spending $200+ just to be able to READ a damn book (plus the cost of the download!!) when I can spend $8 on a paperback.

al_bundy
09-09-09, 08:58 PM
Asus just announced an e-reader as well

DJLinus
09-12-09, 08:33 AM
The future is now!

Welcome to the library. Say goodbye to the books.
Cushing Academy embraces a digital future
By David Abel
Globe Staff / September 4, 2009

ASHBURNHAM - There are rolling hills and ivy-covered brick buildings. There are small classrooms, high-tech labs, and well-manicured fields. There’s even a clock tower with a massive bell that rings for special events.

Cushing Academy has all the hallmarks of a New England prep school, with one exception.

This year, after having amassed a collection of more than 20,000 books, officials at the pristine campus about 90 minutes west of Boston have decided the 144-year-old school no longer needs a traditional library. The academy’s administrators have decided to discard all their books and have given away half of what stocked their sprawling stacks - the classics, novels, poetry, biographies, tomes on every subject from the humanities to the sciences. The future, they believe, is digital.

“When I look at books, I see an outdated technology, like scrolls before books,’’ said James Tracy, headmaster of Cushing and chief promoter of the bookless campus. “This isn’t ‘Fahrenheit 451’ [the 1953 Ray Bradbury novel in which books are banned]. We’re not discouraging students from reading. We see this as a natural way to shape emerging trends and optimize technology.’’

Instead of a library, the academy is spending nearly $500,000 to create a “learning center,’’ though that is only one of the names in contention for the new space. In place of the stacks, they are spending $42,000 on three large flat-screen TVs that will project data from the Internet and $20,000 on special laptop-friendly study carrels. Where the reference desk was, they are building a $50,000 coffee shop that will include a $12,000 cappuccino machine.

And to replace those old pulpy devices that have transmitted information since Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press in the 1400s, they have spent $10,000 to buy 18 electronic readers made by Amazon.com and Sony. Administrators plan to distribute the readers, which they’re stocking with digital material, to students looking to spend more time with literature.

Those who don’t have access to the electronic readers will be expected to do their research and peruse many assigned texts on their computers.

“Instead of a traditional library with 20,000 books, we’re building a virtual library where students will have access to millions of books,’’ said Tracy, whose office shelves remain lined with books. “We see this as a model for the 21st-century school.’’

Not everyone on campus is sold on Tracy’s vision.

They worry about an environment where students can no longer browse rows of voluptuous books, replete with glossy photographs, intricate maps, and pages dog-eared by generations of students. They worry students will be less likely to focus on long works when their devices are constantly interrupting them with e-mail and instant messages. They also worry about a world where sweat-stained literature is deemed as perishable as all the glib posts on Facebook or Twitter.

Liz Vezina, a librarian at Cushing for 17 years, said she never imagined working as the director of a library without any books.

“It makes me sad,’’ said Vezina, who hosts a book club on campus dubbed the Off-line Readers and has made a career of introducing students to books. “I’m going to miss them. I love books. I’ve grown up with them, and there’s something lost when they’re virtual. There’s a sensual side to them - the smell, the feel, the physicality of a book is something really special.’’

Alexander Coyle, chairman of the history department, is a self-described “gadget freak’’ who enjoys reading on Amazon’s Kindle, but he has always seen libraries and their hallowed content as “secular cathedrals.’’

“I wouldn’t want to ever get rid of any of my books at home,’’ he said. “I like the feel of them too much. A lot us are wondering how this changes the dignity of the library, and why we can’t move to increase digital resources while keeping the books.’’

Tracy and other administrators said the books took up too much space and that there was nowhere else on campus to stock them. So they decided to give their collection - aside from a few hundred children’s books and valuable antiquarian works - to local schools and libraries.

“We see the gain as greater than the loss,’’ said Gisele Zangari, chairwoman of the math department, who like other teachers has plans for all her students to do their class reading on electronic books by next year. “This is the start of a new era.’’

Cushing is one of the first schools in the country to abandon its books.

“I’m not aware of any other library that has done this,’’ said Keith Michael Fiels, executive director of the American Library Association, a Chicago-based organization that represents the nation’s libraries.

He said the move raises at least two concerns: Many of the books on electronic readers and the Internet aren’t free and it may become more difficult for students to happen on books with the serendipity made possible by physical browsing. There’s also the question of the durability of electronic readers.

“Unless every student has a Kindle and an unlimited budget, I don’t see how that need is going to be met,’’ Fiels said. “Books are not a waste of space, and they won’t be until a digital book can tolerate as much sand, survive a coffee spill, and have unlimited power. When that happens, there will be next to no difference between that and a book.’’

William Powers, author of a forthcoming book based on a paper he published at Harvard called “Hamlet’s Blackberry: Why Paper is Eternal,’’ called the changes at Cushing “radical’’ and “a tremendous loss for students.’’

“There are modes of learning and thinking that at the moment are only available from actual books,’’ he said. “There is a kind of deep-dive, meditative reading that’s almost impossible to do on a screen. Without books, students are more likely to do the grazing or quick reading that screens enable, rather than be by themselves with the author’s ideas.’’

Yet students at Cushing say they look forward to the new equipment, and the brave new world they’re ushering in.

Tia Alliy, a 16-year-old junior, said she visits the library nearly every day, but only once looked for a book in the stacks. She’s not alone. School officials said when they checked library records one day last spring only 48 books had been checked out, and 30 of those were children’s books.

“When you hear the word ‘library,’ you think of books,’’ Alliy said. “But very few students actually read them. And the more we use e-books, the fewer books we have to carry around.’’

Jemmel Billingslea, an 18-year-old senior, thought about the prospect of a school without books. It didn’t bother him.

“It’s a little strange,’’ he said. “But this is the future.’’

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/09/04/a_library_without_the_books/?page=2

I may be an old fuddy duddy desperately clinging to outdated technology, but I don't see why this is an all or nothing deal, especially since they're only providing 18 Kindles to the students. Why not have the Kindles augment the presence of physical books?

Ranger
10-14-09, 11:31 AM
Looks like Barnes and Noble are entering the ebook/reader market. And it seems they are going to have comparable prices and probably a cheaper device. I'm looking forward to what they have and atleast there will be serious competition now, hopefully this will solidify the future of ebooks and the e-ink technology.I just tried out the BN e-reader for PC and I really like it, not bloated, good interface and options. I think it's far better than the Sony PC e-reader.

Sessa17
10-14-09, 03:44 PM
With the recent Kindle-price drop at Amazon, I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

Deep_lurk
10-14-09, 04:00 PM
While pulling a trigger on a Kindle is totally appropriate, I would-- myself-- go with a big stack of paper targets. Much cheaper.

Then, for an ebook reader, I'd buy something not bigbrothered, like a Sony, or one of these:

http://www.frys.com/product/5834633?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

nevermind
10-14-09, 05:35 PM
This one is looking promising...

http://gizmodo.com/5380942/barnes-and-nobles-e+reader-like-a-kindleiphone-chimera-first-photos-and-details

Ranger
10-15-09, 10:30 PM
Google ebook store opens June 2010 (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/more_details_emerge_on_google_editions_googles_ebook_store.php). Seems like it could be used through a web browser and read offline with an extension for the cache. Interesting about more ebook competition but that means more drm formats.

drmoze
10-18-09, 08:23 PM
I just tried out the BN e-reader for PC and I really like it, not bloated, good interface and options. I think it's far better than the Sony PC e-reader.

errrr... The Sony PC Library software isn't really supposed to be a great ebook program. It is basically an interface for the Sony Reader devices--because it's all about the e-ink display. Your statement is kinda like saying iTunes sucks for listening to music on a PC.

With the recent Kindle-price drop at Amazon, I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

My advice is to check what you want in an ebook device before buying.
I never considered a Kindle for several reasons. Primarily, I want an ebook device simply to read lots of books. Here are some points to consider from a lifelong avid book reader's perspective:

The ebook devices are pricey because the e-ink display is expensive. But e-ink is great. MUCH easier on the eyes than any backlit display. And it uses almost no power. ANd yeah, you need some sort of booklight to read any of these displays in the dark, just like a p-book.

Wireless on the Kindle? Seriously, wtf? I don't get this. Many folks say they need "instant gratification." Huh? If you're reading books, and have a device that carries hundreds of novels in the internal memory (easily more than a years' worth of reading), do you really need to be suckered into paying full price just to 'instantly' download books to your device wirelessly? That wireless eats up batteries faster too. My Reader lasts about 3 weeks betwene charges--I never worry about charging it, so it's more like a book than another charge-all-the-time device like a cellphone.

Keyboard and dictionary on the Kindle? Sure, what you get is a bulkier, klunkier device with a crappy keyboard. Do you really look things up in a dictionary constantly when reading books? I don't. 2 options: Some non-Kindle devices have dictionaries, and (better yet) use another device (cellphone/blackberry/laptop) for looking up and reading things online. The e-ink display is great for longer reading sessions of longer works.

Amazon has cheaper book prices? Hmmmm. Not sure. Lots of other ebook devices handle a variety of file formats (including reflowable pdf and the more standardized ePub). Amazon locks you pretty much into its own format. (Yes, there are all sorts of format conversions and drm removal possibilities, but for the general user and for simplicity, it's nice to have a less-restricted device.) Having more formats to choose from increases the likelihood of finding more and cheaper titles.

Can you read new books free on the Kindle? No. (Not legally anyway!) But the Sony devices (except for the oldest 500 model) allow you to borrow ebooks online from your local lending library's website. I do this a lot. Still think the Kindle is a "cheaper " option? I don't.

There's a trend to wards making electronic devices "all-in-one" units that can do everything, but often does them less well. Remember the lowly cellphone? Now it has texting, web browsers, gps, cameras, etc. OK, it's handy. In fact, I use my phone ( a blackberry) as my portable information source. For looking thins up online, etc., it works just fine. Handy, portable, and I already am conditioned to charging it every day or 2.

OTOH, I DON'T want my ebook device to do everything. Just act like a book--turn pages, set bookmarks, store lots of books to take with me, and be easy on the eyes. Changing font size is a bonus (but a necessary one on these devices, which have varying 'default' sizes.) The 3 week battery life is huge for me. I don't worry about taking a charger or more cables with me. I just hold 200+ books in the palm of my hand, good to go for even a 2-week-plus trip with no power worries. Instant on and off is nice as well.

Once you add wireless, keyboard, etc. to an ebook device, it's becoming more like a netbook/tablet pc/cellphone. I don't want that. I already have that. And the e-ink display is slow-doesn't handle animation, refresh time is about half a second (not millisecond, but second!). It won't ever substitute for an active display that can be used for browsing, etc.

My ebook device is my book for reading, period. And it does it extremely well. Select a book, and start reading. Set a bookmark where you leave off if you're reading more than 1 book at a time. Easy. Simple. (I have probably read about 300+ novels on e-ink devices over the past 3 years. Same comfortable reading experience that I've enjoyed with 'p-books' my entire life.)

If you want a device for carrying around and comfortably reading lots of books, I suggest checking out the Sony Reader line, or some other devices such as the Cybook Opus, the Hanlin rebranded devices, etc. And if you are happy reading novels on your iPhone, then your eyes are much better than mine (at least right now!) and you probably don't need an e-ink display.

xmiyux
10-18-09, 08:28 PM
Could you explain a little more about checking out e-books from your library? How does that work and what exactly would I need to ask about at my local library to see if they support that?

I'm a huge library supporter so a unit that would let me get things from there would be awesome.

Ranger
10-18-09, 10:17 PM
errrr... The Sony PC Library software isn't really supposed to be a great ebook program. It is basically an interface for the Sony Reader devices--because it's all about the e-ink display. Your statement is kinda like saying iTunes sucks for listening to music on a PC.
The problem I had was that it reminded me too much of Sonicstage which I used for the ancient minidisc player. Sure, SS worked but it was a pain and Sony eventually abandoned it. The new Sony ebook library software is a good improvement though. Hardware companies just suck at making software, but Apple is the exception.

I just prefer to read ebooks and pdfs on the computer. If I wanted a portable ebook reader, I would rather use something like the iPhone (or even a netbook) so it would be the all-in-one gadget.

Ginwen
10-19-09, 12:21 AM
Could you explain a little more about checking out e-books from your library? How does that work and what exactly would I need to ask about at my local library to see if they support that?

I'm a huge library supporter so a unit that would let me get things from there would be awesome.

Just go to your local library's website, and see if they have ebooks, and what formatd (since there's a ton of formats). If they have them, and you're going to read on your computer, they'll probably have software for you on the site. In my case, since I read on my Kindle, I use mobi. I had to add my kindle's id to my account, then when I find a book I want I just check it out from the website using my normal card, I get 3 weeks to read it after that it isn't readable by normal means. It's just like a normal book, they have a certain number of copies, so sometimes I have to wait for a copy to come back in (which will also be at the end of the checkout time since there is no way to check them in early).

xmiyux
10-19-09, 08:30 AM
Alright, my local library only has e-audio books. Bummer. Something interesting i might have to mention at the next board meeting. Thanks for the info!

Tommy Ceez
10-19-09, 11:45 AM
NYPL lends e-books in Adobe and Mobi

So you're saying this will work with the kindle and the sony?

Ginwen
10-19-09, 12:17 PM
It will work with kindle with a bit of effort, I think it is explained in this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19649) at mobileread.

nevermind
10-20-09, 04:20 PM
Barnes & Noble officially announced the "Nook" (horrible name) today.

Available 11/30 for the same price as the Kindle 2.

www.nook.com

Color browsing/settings/control screen, replaceable battery, expandable memory, lending of books for 14 days to friends, native pdf support, and most importantly, it supports epub. Runs on Android.

Looks like Amazon should be very very worried.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/

jfoobar
10-20-09, 04:34 PM
Forgive me if this issue has been covered in this long thread already, but do any ebook readers get annoyed that you cannot read (your preferred reading material anyway) for the first 10-15 minutes of an airline flight now because your "book" is now an "electronic device?"

Sessa17
10-20-09, 05:17 PM

www.nook.com

Color browsing/settings/control screen, replaceable battery, expandable memory, lending of books for 14 days to friends, native pdf support, and most importantly, it supports epub. Runs on Android.

Damn, the nook looks pretty sweet. I like color browsing & 10 days of wireless batter life. It will come down to content for me, will the nook have as many titles to choose from as kindle, what one have more exclusive titles than the other?

Ginwen
10-20-09, 05:24 PM

www.nook.com

I hope it ends up competitive enough that Amazon is forced to loosen up a bit. It doesn't seem like Sony or any of the others have been able to have enough of an impact to make Amazon react much at all.

mhg83
10-20-09, 05:47 PM

www.nook.com

I wish there was a way to get a digital version of the hard copies you own for free. Perhaps donating the book to B & N or just getting a discount when you donate the novel.

Very tempted to pre-order. Are those 500,000 free books all public domain and fairly recent novels?

kenbuzz
10-20-09, 06:06 PM
Great. Just as I had decided to get my bride a Kindle for Christmas...

Guess I need to read-up on the specs a little. Wonder whether it's safe to bet that the 3G capability will mean that she can surf from the device (like she could with a Kindle) wherever a 3G signal exists? Wireless is fine, but I don't expect her to use it at home nearly as much as she would between classes, and I don't expect she'll start camping out at our local B&N.

Argh!

mhg83
10-20-09, 08:59 PM
So I dont have wi-fi or 3G wireless. Will i still be able to download books with the usb wired connection?

Ginwen
10-20-09, 09:49 PM
I wish there was a way to get a digital version of the hard copies you own for free. Perhaps donating the book to B & N or just getting a discount when you donate the novel.

Very tempted to pre-order. Are those 500,000 free books all public domain and fairly recent novels?

I'm sure they're basically the usual suspects of public domain books, with a direct channel to get them. You can look at project guttenberg or google books to get an idea. They may be the public domain books at google books (it may somewhere I'm not sure), I think those are mostly PDFs (and the nook reads PDFs) and google wants to make them available.

So I dont have wi-fi or 3G wireless. Will i still be able to download books with the usb wired connection?

I think it's like kindle, the 3G is included with the device, as long you're in the coverage area of that cell company you should be fine (although I suspect they'll also let you use a USB connection to download from your computer).

Cory02
10-20-09, 10:53 PM
I love my Kindle but damn...the Nook sure looks awesome. THe color touchscreen, Wi-Fi, and expandable memory are big advantages over the Kindle. As the Nook runs Android, apparently apps are a possibility in the future.

It will be interesting to see how Amazon tries to compete. Hopefully they slash prices on Kindle books.

Tommy Ceez
10-21-09, 08:15 AM
Is there a price on that Nook because the NYPL does ePub and it has brand spanking new books to lend.

Im starting to really like this idea

xmiyux
10-21-09, 08:32 AM
So is the e-ink screen color as well? That is the feature i am anticipating. I want magazines and comic books through a device like this.

Jay G.
10-21-09, 08:33 AM
Is there a price on that Nook[?]
Pre-order price is $259 + tax with free expedited shipping.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/index.asp

Jay G.
10-21-09, 08:37 AM
So is the e-ink screen color as well?
No.

Why E-Books Are Stuck in a Black-and-White World (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/blackandwhite_ebooks/)

xmiyux
10-21-09, 08:41 AM
No.

Why E-Books Are Stuck in a Black-and-White World (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/blackandwhite_ebooks/)

Thanks for the article, very interesting reading! :up:

meglet
10-21-09, 01:42 PM
I love my Kindle, not to mention the ease and convenience of getting books from Amazon.

But that little color screen on the Nook, with the nice cover view of books, looks REALLY nice. After so many years of browsing and choosing books by title and/or cover images, it's really hard to get used to picking from the Kindle's plain text listing of books. The nice little screen on the Nook would certainly solve that issue.

I guess I'll cross my fingers that the next Kindle release includes something similar. Something like the CoverFlow view from iTunes would be nice.

Dusty Bottoms
10-21-09, 03:17 PM
It says on the Barnes & Noble website that users will soon be able to read eBooks for free with the Nook while in Barnes & Noble stores. I wonder if there are restrictions on this. It wouldn't be any different than picking up a book off a shelf and finding a chair except that you aren't turning their new books into used books if you are using the Nook.

mhg83
10-21-09, 04:59 PM
It says on the Barnes & Noble website that users will soon be able to read eBooks for free with the Nook while in Barnes & Noble stores. I wonder if there are restrictions on this. It wouldn't be any different than picking up a book off a shelf and finding a chair except that you aren't turning their new books into used books if you are using the Nook.

Yeah I was most curious about this feature. Wonder how long till someone hacks the device and makes the Nook think it's in a B & N store?

For those that own a Kindle or Sony e-book; Are there weekend deals on some novels? Like a complete authors collection at a discount rate or 50 % off deals? Something similar to what Steam does?

Dusty Bottoms
10-21-09, 05:39 PM
I just read in the "Stephen King: Under The Dome" thread that the digital version of the book isn't being released until Dec 24. The release date for the hardcover edition is Nov 10. That post has a link to an article on Yahoo. Apparently publishers are worried that lower priced eBooks will hurt sales of their hardcover releases. It's probably not the best example though since you can currently pre-order the hardcover for less than the price of the Kindle edition.

I don't think I would be happy if I invested in an eBook reader only to find out that major releases were being delayed.

Ranger
10-21-09, 06:59 PM
Well, hardcover often come out first, then paperbacks, so it makes sense to release the ebook somewhere in between.

Deep_lurk
10-21-09, 09:53 PM
More Nooky than the Nook:

http://gizmodo.com/5384709/spring-design-alex-ereader-runs-android-has-dual-displays

Tommy Ceez
10-21-09, 11:21 PM
Well, hardcover often come out first, then paperbacks, so it makes sense to release the ebook somewhere in between.

SUPERFREAKONOMICS is already available to rent in ebook from NYPL

I Might get into this

Ginwen
10-21-09, 11:55 PM

Usually the hardcover and ebook come out at the same time, not always. I've gotten some ebooks about a month before the hardcover (that's not typical). Sometimes they don't release an ebook at all.

I'm still annoyed about this one, I'll be travelling when the books out and as I've gotten older I find heavy books tend to hurt my wrists, so I was really looking forward to having this as an ebook--I would have been willing to pay a bit more than the regular book to have the convenience.

Tommy Ceez
10-22-09, 09:34 AM
The more I read about the Nook the more Im dying to have one

14 day ebook lending to friends

UNLIMITED free ebook reading in Barnes and Noble B&M stores. How fucking fantastic is that?!?

KirstenS
10-22-09, 10:52 AM
I am seriously seriously torn on this. My mom wants to give me an ebook reader for Christmas (she is obsessed with her Kindle). The nook is shiny and pretty and has all sorts of amazing features, but the Kindle has Amazon's customer service. The sampling of ebooks I looked at that I would most likely buy were more expensive at B&N as well. What to do... What to do...

Tommy Ceez
10-22-09, 03:26 PM
I am seriously seriously torn on this. My mom wants to give me an ebook reader for Christmas (she is obsessed with her Kindle). The nook is shiny and pretty and has all sorts of amazing features, but the Kindle has Amazon's customer service. The sampling of ebooks I looked at that I would most likely buy were more expensive at B&N as well. What to do... What to do...

Im just saying, the 14 day sharing, expandable memory, removable battery, and book sampeling in the B&M make it much more attractive at this point

WallyOPD
10-22-09, 03:35 PM
Im just saying, the 14 day sharing, expandable memory, removable battery, and book sampeling in the B&M make it much more attractive at this point

The first and last one aren't too relevant to me. There's not too many folks I know that are going to own a Nook to be able to lend books to and I just don't go into a B&N store very frequently. The middle 2 make this very attractive.

Tommy Ceez
10-22-09, 03:53 PM
The first and last one aren't too relevant to me. There's not too many folks I know that are going to own a Nook to be able to lend books to and I just don't go into a B&N store very frequently. The middle 2 make this very attractive.

As a poster above said, they do not need to own a NOOK, lent books can be read on a Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone, or Blackberry

meglet
10-22-09, 04:30 PM
Amazon announced a Kindle Reader for PC today (Mac version coming "soon.")

Link to Amazon's page: Amazon Kindle for PC (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_85826531_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0G9G5K8XM95GVPHXD7BD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=496369211&pf_rd_i=133141011)

This could be VERY handy for anything with diagrams, color photos, and just having another way to read in general. In addition, if you have a PC/laptop with a touch screen, you can pinch/zoom/spin and turn pages with touch gestures. The demo I saw looked very similar to the gestures currently used on the iPhone.

Available in November, I'll be downloading as soon as it's out.

WallyOPD
10-22-09, 04:31 PM
As a poster above said, they do not need to own a NOOK, lent books can be read on a Mac, PC, iPod, iPhone, or Blackberry

Most people I know also have no desire to read books on any of these devices.

mhg83
10-22-09, 04:35 PM
Well I decided to pre-order early this morning. Went with the two year protection plan and a covering case. final total was $381.

$125 for a covering case :lol: People are crazy if they buy that.

Ranger
10-22-09, 05:10 PM
The more I read about the Nook the more Im dying to have one

14 day ebook lending to friends

UNLIMITED free ebook reading in Barnes and Noble B&M stores. How fucking fantastic is that?!?Meh, I don't really care about book sharing or reading in-store, but that sounds like a nice step into the future of books. The nook has both 3g and wifi and the kindle doesn't?

I am definitely interested in checking out the Amazon PC reader. I've used the Itunes store for years and have yet to buy an Ipod. But then I switched to Amazon for mp3s and ability to use my browser.

Brent L
10-22-09, 07:55 PM
Hmmm, B&N needs to market this by saying that it's the E-Reader that wont remotely delete books that you have paid for.

Sessa17
10-22-09, 08:02 PM
I must say, it seems to be going quietly unnoticed, but the Nook runs Android apps, is a huge +1 over Kindle IMO & may be the deciding factor for me. At this point, it's just a matter of being greedy & pre-ordering it for myself or having the patience & waiting for someone to get it for me for X-mas. I would image these is going to be a huge seller for the holidays.

Supermallet
10-22-09, 08:25 PM
I had been going back and forth on whether or not to buy the Kindle, but a few nagging issues kept me from getting one. But the Nook has cleared up almost all of my hesitations, especially by including wi-fi, expandable memory, and native PDF compatibility. The lending system and extra content at B&N stores is just icing on the cake. And then the fact it's running on Android has me very interested to see what the homebrew community does. So I pre-ordered one. Got the Alice Through The Looking Glass case for it and didn't get the warranty. Since I'm a B&N member, I got a free upgrade on the shipping. Total came to $313 and change. Can't wait to try it!

mhg83
10-22-09, 08:32 PM
I had been going back and forth on whether or not to buy the Kindle, but a few nagging issues kept me from getting one. But the Nook has cleared up almost all of my hesitations, especially by including wi-fi, expandable memory, and native PDF compatibility. The lending system and extra content at B&N stores is just icing on the cake. And then the fact it's running on Android has me very interested to see what the homebrew community does. So I pre-ordered one. Got the Alice Through The Looking Glass case for it and didn't get the warranty. Since I'm a B&N member, I got a free upgrade on the shipping. Total came to $313 and change. Can't wait to try it!

Why didn't you get the two year protection plan? It's a first model device and there's always a risk that something may break. Or did i waste my money on the Warranty and should have it canceled?

Supermallet
10-22-09, 08:36 PM
I always take good care of my tech. The device ships with a one year warranty that covers everything the two year covers except for accidental damage. Since I'm careful about the way my devices are handled, I didn't see the need to spend $80 more. If a Nook 2 comes out that looks significantly better than the Nook, I'll sell the current one and upgrade.

The other thing that really enticed me to the Nook was its access to the Google Books Project.

Sessa17
10-22-09, 08:45 PM
So I pre-ordered one. Got the Alice Through The Looking Glass case for it and didn't get the warranty. Since I'm a B&N member, I got a free upgrade on the shipping. Total came to $313 and change. Can't wait to try it!

:thumbsup: I know I'm not going to be able to hold out 'till X-mas & end up buying myself one. That Alice cover is pretty cool, I love the solid black Jack Spade cover, but $85 for a freakin' cover is ridiculous.

Tommy Ceez
10-22-09, 08:45 PM
Order with an Amex card and they add ONE year on the manufacturers warentee

Supermallet
10-22-09, 08:52 PM
:thumbsup: I know I'm not going to be able to hold out 'till X-mas & end up buying myself one. That Alice cover is pretty cool, I love the solid black Jack Spade cover, but $85 for a freakin' cover is ridiculous.

Yeah, I was very glad the Alice one was also the cheapest of the available covers.

Drop
10-23-09, 07:58 AM
Looks like the Nook's lending feature has some restrictions, although the link suggests some confusion over the wording, but here's the current details:

Publishers can decide if they want there books to even support the feature.
You can't access the book while it's being lent out (fairly understandable).
You can lend each book one time only.

Link (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60148)

Bit of bummer if true, but hopefully it opens up more some day, and other companies use the feature too. The Nook still seems more attractive than the current Kindle, though.

kenbuzz
10-23-09, 08:25 AM
I must say, it seems to be going quietly unnoticed, but the Nook runs Android apps, is a huge +1 over Kindle IMO & may be the deciding factor for me. At this point, it's just a matter of being greedy & pre-ordering it for myself or having the patience & waiting for someone to get it for me for X-mas. I would image these is going to be a huge seller for the holidays.Okay, school me on this. What are Android apps and why is this important?

Edited to add: The specs look impressive, but looking at the screen itself... if the "library" bar is a permanent part of the screen there are the bottom, that's a slight :down: from my perspective. When I'm reading, what's important to me is the book/article in front of me, not what's on my shelf. When I want to look at my shelf, I do so. I don't keep a list of all my books in front of me ON THE SAME PAGE as what I'm reading. Furthermore, that's screen space that could be used for text. It's like the old Palm layout with the dedicated scribble area on the bottom - I much prefer the PocketPC paradigm with a dismissable keyboard/scribble pad, allowing me to recapture that space for data instead of having it dedicated to be used for input. Last, if my bookshelf is always being displayed, I don't necessarily want to be reminded of what's in my library. Sure, I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now, but what if I have something smutty like "The Story of O" or some other guilty but embarassing pleasure in my library as well? I don't necessarily see having that on the bottom of my screen ALL THE TIME as a good thing.

Dusty Bottoms
10-23-09, 09:17 AM
There are a lot of things I love about a Kindle or Nook, but I don't like the limitations imposed by buying a reader from one seller or the other. If I was basing a decision only on the hardware, I think I would go for the Nook, but there are many examples where Amazon is beating Barnes & Noble's prices on ebooks. In some cases, it's not even close. I don't want to be locked into buying ebooks from one seller or the other if their content prices aren't competitive.

Someone on the Barnes & Noble message boards mentioned that the new Sookie Stackhouse collection (8 books) is currently $51.13 as an ebook at BN. The Kindle version of the same collection is only $29.90. Even the paperback set is quite a bit cheaper at Barnes & Noble ($41.54 or $37.38 with membership) than BN's ebook.

Deke Rivers
10-23-09, 10:29 AM
Okay, school me on this. What are Android apps and why is this important?

Edited to add: The specs look impressive, but looking at the screen itself... if the "library" bar is a permanent part of the screen there are the bottom, that's a slight :down: from my perspective. When I'm reading, what's important to me is the book/article in front of me, not what's on my shelf. When I want to look at my shelf, I do so. I don't keep a list of all my books in front of me ON THE SAME PAGE as what I'm reading. Furthermore, that's screen space that could be used for text. It's like the old Palm layout with the dedicated scribble area on the bottom - I much prefer the PocketPC paradigm with a dismissable keyboard/scribble pad, allowing me to recapture that space for data instead of having it dedicated to be used for input. Last, if my bookshelf is always being displayed, I don't necessarily want to be reminded of what's in my library. Sure, I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now, but what if I have something smutty like "The Story of O" or some other guilty but embarassing pleasure in my library as well? I don't necessarily see having that on the bottom of my screen ALL THE TIME as a good thing.
one of the first things i wondered was whether it could be turned off as I would think it would be distracting to have that showing while you are reading..its basically in the same spot that the Kindle has its keyboard so its not really infringing on any text space so to speak

nevermind
10-23-09, 10:53 AM
I read somewhere that there's a user-adjustable time out for the lcd screen portion.

and yeah it would be nice to have the whole area be for book reading, but then you'd have to make the whole screen touchscreen, and I did not like seeing e-ink under the extra layer on the Sony at all when I was looking at them.

Sessa17
10-23-09, 12:19 PM
Okay, school me on this. What are Android apps and why is this important?

The bottom line for me is, with using the Android supported system there are just so many more options & functions the Nook will have over Kindle. Is it necessary? No, I'm still mostly using this just to read books, but using this Google based operating system is why Nook will support many file formats, including PDF, EPUB, eReader, MP3, and PNG, JPG, and GIF image formats & none of which the Kindle does from my understanding.

Edited to add: The specs look impressive, but looking at the screen itself... if the "library" bar is a permanent part of the screen there are the bottom, that's a slight :down: from my perspective.

It doesn't take up any screen size though, it has to be there & it actually takes less space then Kindles push bottons do. Once you have this in your hand, & you are simply reading, I guaranty that you will never notice the library bar on the bottom.

but what if I have something smutty like "The Story of O" or some other guilty but embarassing pleasure in my library as well? I don't necessarily see having that on the bottom of my screen ALL THE TIME as a good thing.

This doesn't make any sense to me, if you are that emarrassed over a book in your library that is just weird. Plus, even if it is displayed, you are the only one that sees it, where is if you are reading said embarassing book, anyone that walks by you can see from the jacket what you are reading. Also, if you don't want that emarassing title displayed on the library screen while you are reading, just scroll past it to something else, you have the choice of what is displayed.

The bottom line is for me, especially on something like this, I need to wait until reviews come in once it is released. All this stuff with the Nook sounds fantastic in theory, but I need to read from people using it to see if it all operates & downloads properly.

Ginwen
10-23-09, 01:46 PM
There marketing is definitely good. It makes me want one even though I'm perfectly happy with Ky kindle. One cool thing is since it's from B & N, I should have no problem checking one out in a store once they are released. I know my wife likes the idea of an ebook reader, but she thinks the screen is too dark on my Kindle, so maybe she'll prefer the B & N one.

I think that toolbar would prove a bit distracting when I was reading (especially if it's blinking/changing at all) but I presume there will be someway to hide it when you aren't using it. Hopefully B & N doesn't decide it would be a great place to put banner ads.
The other thing that really enticed me to the Nook was its access to the Google Books Project.
I'm curious about this. From what I've read at mobileread and from what I've been able to tell myself when I go to the google books site, right now google books is much more quantity than quality since it's just mostly scanned books, so I'm not sure why that's such a selling point. I know Sony can access google books as well but it hasn't really seemed like much of a selling point to me when you look at what's actually there (since all the free stuff is available elsewhere, still legally, formatted specifically for your reader anyway). Just curious what's so great about it having google books, it seems fairly minor but I'm likely just missing something.

Dusty Bottoms
10-23-09, 03:26 PM
I can't believe this. I just read on the Barnes & Noble boards that there is nothing in place to allow you to use a gift card for ebook purchases. A board administrator confirmed that it may change at a future date, but there are no immediate plans to allow it.

When the Nook was announced this week, I immediately thought about getting one for my father for Christmas. He usually gets a B&N gift card or two at Christmas and birthdays. He likes spending time in the store, so the Nook would have been ideal. I thought he could use the Nook to browse in the store. He could use the gift cards for ebooks purchases or continue to use them on store products if he wanted. If he can't use his gift cards for ebooks, a big advantage over the Kindle has disappeared.

meglet
10-23-09, 04:19 PM
I can't believe this. I just read on the Barnes & Noble boards that there is nothing in place to allow you to use a gift card for ebook purchases. A board administrator confirmed that it may change at a future date, but there are no immediate plans to allow it.

When the Nook was announced this week, I immediately thought about getting one for my father for Christmas. He usually gets a B&N gift card or two at Christmas and birthdays. He likes spending time in the store, so the Nook would have been ideal. I thought he could use the Nook to browse in the store. He could use the gift cards for ebooks purchases or continue to use them on store products if he wanted. If he can't use his gift cards for ebooks, a big advantage over the Kindle has disappeared.

I'm not familiar with the B&N account/purchasing system, HOWEVER:

When the Kindle was released, and possibly still, Amazon officially said you couldn't purchase Kindle books with a gift certificate. But it turns out that if you apply a gift certificate to your account (My Account/Add Gift Certificate) then your Kindle book purchases will charge to the gift card balance, and only charge to your credit card if there are insufficient gift funds to cover the entire purchase.

Something similar may be possible with B&N.

Dusty Bottoms
10-23-09, 04:35 PM
I'm not familiar with the B&N account/purchasing system, HOWEVER:

When the Kindle was released, and possibly still, Amazon officially said you couldn't purchase Kindle books with a gift certificate. But it turns out that if you apply a gift certificate to your account (My Account/Add Gift Certificate) then your Kindle book purchases will charge to the gift card balance, and only charge to your credit card if there are insufficient gift funds to cover the entire purchase.

Something similar may be possible with B&N.

When you use a gift card at Barnes And Noble, the balance of a gift card remains on your gift card instead of your B&N account. There doesn't seem to be a way to apply the card to your account. Based on the thread on the B&N boards, it sounds like others have already tried unsuccessfully to use gift cards for ebook purchases. Anything can change, but B&N is claiming there are no immediate plans to allow it I'm not sure I want to purchase a Nook for my father until I know that gift cards can be used as a payment method.

nevermind
10-23-09, 06:17 PM
I was going to preorder the nook but I think I'm going to hold off. There's no benefit to preordering other than guaranteeing delivery on release. Couple a 14-day return period and a restocking fee and I'm wary. A few things have popped up (see below) that concern me and I'm gonna wait and see how things turn out between now and then, and wait for some reviews. I've waited this long for an ebook reader, I can wait a bit longer.

-The gift card thing is not a good move.

-You can only annotate books purchased from the B&N store.

-They are being very weird on the B&N boards about what exactly the lending feature is... 14 days - ok. But they are continually making it sound like those books that the publisher allows to lend are only lend-able one time. Not once at a time. One time. If you have two friends to lend it to - now is the time to decide who you like more. If so, they really made a mistake it listing it as a major feature you can't find anywhere else. True, you can't... but it's so crippled to the point it is almost useless. I predict a backfire by the press and I predict Amazon may also jump all over this.

and the biggest problem of all, IMO...

-The B&N store ebook prices (outside of bestsellers) are generally higher (some a little, some a LOT) than Amazon. Some B&N store ebooks are even more than the paperbacks, which is ridiculous.

Taken from the boards over there (which btw - all threads concerning book prices have been locked :rolleyes: ):

Gates of Fire
Kindle: $6.39
Nook: $7.99

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education
Kindle: $9.99
Nook: $14.99

Sookie Stackhouse Set
Kindle: $29.90
Nook: $51.13

Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
Nook: $20.80

Kite Runner
Kindle: $9.51
Nook: $11.20

The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters
Nook: $9.99

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
Nook: $12.00

Descartes' Bones:
Amazon for Kindle: $9.99
B&N Hardcover member $18.72
B&N Paperback (member) $10.80
B&N ebook: $20.86 MOST EXPENSIVE OPTION AT B&N

Devil in the White City
Amazon for Kindle $9.99
B&N Hardcover member $19.40
B&N Paperback member $10.80
B&N mp3 member $19.04 (unabridged)
B&N ebook member $12.00 MORE THAN THE PAPERBACK

The Nook sure looks nice and has many pluses going for it, including the user replaceable battery and native pdf support, but I think I got too excited too quick. I hope I can be swayed back - the biggest being the ebook prices. Having the hardware priced the same as a Kindle is nice, but doesn't amount to much if book costs are a few hundred a year more...

nevermind
10-23-09, 10:06 PM
Stephen King: The Stand

Kindle: $7.19
B&N ebook: $40.00

:lol:
Jesus. They better get their act together in the next few weeks with the pricing structure or they are gonna have a flop.

Ranger
10-23-09, 10:41 PM
When you use a gift card at Barnes And Noble, the balance of a gift card remains on your gift card instead of your B&N account. There doesn't seem to be a way to apply the card to your account. Based on the thread on the B&N boards, it sounds like others have already tried unsuccessfully to use gift cards for ebook purchases. Anything can change, but B&N is claiming there are no immediate plans to allow it I'm not sure I want to purchase a Nook for my father until I know that gift cards can be used as a payment method.So BN really does not have an e-gift card at all? With amazon, it is just a simple e-mailed gift card code to add to your account balance. I'm sure BN will add it later.

BN's prices are a bit higher, but I think their selection is a bit larger than Amazon. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

if I don't like the PC reader from Amazon, then I probably will go with BN. Amazon's download manager for mp3s is pretty good, but I remember that their 'unbox' video software wasn't so great.

mhg83
10-23-09, 10:47 PM

Jesus. They better get their act together in the next few weeks with the pricing structure or they are gonna have a flop.

This and a lot of other new info on the Nook has convinced me to cancel my order. I'm sure those prices will most likely change when it's actually released, but I think i'll wait for reviews before buying.

Anyone else think Amazon will drop the price of Kindle when Nook is released?

Ginwen
10-24-09, 12:04 AM

The Stand (and a bunch of other Stephen King books) were MIA from the Kindle for awhile, when they came back it was 7.19 (I bought it) and then the next day it was $40. A few days later it went back to 7.19 where it has stayed ever since. I suspect this and a lot of the other B&N prices will drop back to earth, there's a lot riding on this succeeding since, for Amazon at least, in spite of the limited market size, they are making a ton of money from the Kindle.
Online retailer Amazon.com has posted quarterly profit that easily beat Wall Street estimates and said holiday sales could come in far above expectations.

The world's largest online retailer also said its Kindle electronic reader was its top item in both unit sales and dollars across all of its product categories

nevermind
10-24-09, 06:25 AM
Then they better drop back to earth in the next week or two, because the Christmas shopping season isn't going to wait until 11/30.

mhg83
10-24-09, 11:34 AM
I cant believe some titles are still not in Kindle format. They dont even have T.H. Whites "The Once and Future King"!

Ginwen
10-24-09, 01:43 PM
I cant believe some titles are still not in Kindle format. They dont even have T.H. Whites "The Once and Future King"!A lot more books are not on any e-reader than are, so you can't buy one expecting everything to be on it, not even close. Amazon says that is their goal but they have a long way to go.

mhg83
10-24-09, 02:05 PM
A lot more books are not on any e-reader than are, so you can't buy one expecting everything to be on it, not even close. Amazon says that is their goal but they have a long way to go.

I know that but it just came as a surprise for that particular title. It's considered a classic so I figured the most popular novels would be up there.

Ginwen
10-24-09, 06:19 PM
From the outside, it's pretty random what is and isn't there. What's most annoying to me is stuff that was there (and they even still have links) that has been taken off for whatever reason. If you go to the kindle sf page, they have a bunch of hugo award books pictured there, but several have been taken down (in some cases the author wants it there but it isn't up to them due to some bad contract they signed in the past).

mhg83
10-25-09, 12:25 PM
From the outside, it's pretty random what is and isn't there. What's most annoying to me is stuff that was there (and they even still have links) that has been taken off for whatever reason. If you go to the kindle sf page, they have a bunch of hugo award books pictured there, but several have been taken down (in some cases the author wants it there but it isn't up to them due to some bad contract they signed in the past).

Is there any way to track a book on Amazon? For example; I wanna buy a novel but it is not on the kindle store. I click on a button and when the book arrives, Amazon sends me an E-mail notifying me that the book is now available for download.

Supermallet
10-25-09, 02:36 PM
Well, I'm not in love with what B&N is doing regarding gift cards and pricing, and I would consider switching to a Kindle (since I could actually have one by Tuesday if I wanted), but for me the pros of the Nook still outweigh the cons:

-Replacable battery. I've already got an iPhone and hate the idea that I can't replace the battery on it myself. Last thing I want is an expensive ereader whose battery I also cannot replace.

-Android OS. As someone else mentioned, the open nature of the Android platform could have very positive results for Nook owners, as people develop apps to customize Nook and address issues they find with it.

-Wi-fi Access and 3G access. I have Wi-Fi at home, Wi-Fi at work, Wi-Fi at the library. No reason I shouldn't be able to use it.

-Expandable memory. The base Nook can hold more books than the base Kindle, and with an expandable memory slot, can hold more than the DX.

-Access to more file types. Let's face it, Kindle is Amazon's attempt to close the walls of copy protection around a digital product, and the file support proves that. PDF support alone makes me prefer Nook over Kindle. And, again, being an Android device, someone could write in a widget that expands compatibility. It was brought to my attention that the Kindle DX can natively read PDF, but only PDF, not epub or other formats that Nook supports. In addition, the DX is close to $500.

Even if prices tend to be a bit higher with B&N, the closed nature of Amazon's Kindle system is enough to turn me off. I like to tinker with my gadgets, and the idea of a Nook homebrew community is very exciting to me. I'm still holding on to my pre-order for now, unless someone can convince me that the cons outweigh the pros, which I feel is certainly the case for Kindle. And looking back at my list, the Nook offers almost everything the Kindle DX offers, for almost half the price, along with some things that the DX doesn't offer at all. So, to me, it's a no brainer. None of these ereaders are perfect, it's just about finding one that is most compatible with what you're looking for.

Also, to the people who have concerns about the LCD at the bottom: The LCD screen is more than just a scrolling library. The purpose of having an LCD in the first place is so that Nook can display all sorts of graphical content in color that the user can interact with. Thus it works as the interface for everything that doesn't involve directly reading a book. You use it to access the main menu, change settings, select books to read, buy new books, and make notes on the books when you're reading them. I believe you can also swipe the LCD screen to turn the book pages on the e-ink display. Rest assured, it will not just be a picture of the cover of the book you're reading at that time.

I would say if all you care about is thinking of a book, finding it online, and downloading it instantly, than Amazon's cheaper prices would probably be enough to make you get that over Nook. But since I'm looking for a more versatile and open experience, the Nook is right up my alley.

Ginwen
10-25-09, 03:08 PM
Is there any way to track a book on Amazon? For example; I wanna buy a novel but it is not on the kindle store. I click on a button and when the book arrives, Amazon sends me an E-mail notifying me that the book is now available for download.

No, at least not usually. I know I keep checking for the Ender's Game books since Orson Scott Card says they'll be available sometime. If there was a button that would be nice.

mhg83
10-25-09, 03:11 PM
i did end up ordering the Kindle. After looking over all the features the Kindle has I think the device will work out for me.

The free internet was a big draw for me. Most times when I'm at work I'll want to access the internet on my break. But since we only have one computer that can go on the web, most of the times someone else is using it.

Expandable memory isn't really a concern for me. It can hold 1,500 books and I don't see myself buying a crap load of books. And even if I use up the memory, you can delete a book and re-download at a later time.

The non-removable battery is kind of concerning. Does anyone know what the typical life span of the kindle battery? five years?

And the prices are very reasonable on Amazon. I just ordered 45 books and only one cost one cent. There's a few new books I want to buy and I will save a lot in the long run.

I got the re-furbished Kindle ($220) and a carrying case ($30) Plus I get 30 days to try it out and can send it back for a refund if i don't like it.

Tommy Ceez
10-25-09, 06:44 PM
The expandable memory comes in big in an academic environemnt

hell, I have over 2000 engineering and technology books on my PC, to have all that knowledge at my fingertips anywhere I go is quite amazing

KirstenS
10-25-09, 08:14 PM
I'm leaning heavily towards the Kindle at this point. The ebook prices at BN really turned me off, and I really like the idea of having a portable web browser. It's not perfect and it can't access everything, but even having free access to wikipedia is nice. I've also read that you can link up to 6 Kindles to one account, so I can put mine under my mom's account and we can download all the books the other person has purchased. MUCH better than the Nook's "lending." It's ugly as sin and I like the look of the Nook much better, but the new leather covers for the Kindle help that situation as well.

Supermallet
10-26-09, 12:53 AM
I use my iPhone for the web, but the screen is too small for book reading and doing it for too long causes me eye strain. So the web element of the Kindle does nothing for me.

nevermind
10-26-09, 12:26 PM
Yeah I have an iphone too. I can read about 10 minutes of a book on it, tops. Safari rocks on the iphone, though. I'd never use a web browser in e-ink.

I'm really bummed about the B&N book prices. I am holding off on a Kindle for now as well. As Kirsten said - they are just too ugly for words.

Hopefully Kindle 3 will shitcan the physical keyboard, add user expandable memory, replaceable battery, and epub. Of course, if B&N doesn't lower book prices, Amazon may not even consider them a legitimate long-time threat.

But if B&N does lower book prices, a Nook looks very attractive to me again.

Supermallet
10-26-09, 02:02 PM
I have a feeling prices will lower when Nook actually comes out. I can't imagine B&N thinks they can compete with Amazon if they don't.

Dusty Bottoms
10-26-09, 07:04 PM
There is an interesting article about the Nook at Slate.com's The Big Money.

The Big Money (http://www.thebigmoney.com/features/kindle-chronicles/2009/10/22/nook-doom?page=full)

One of the big features of the Nook is the ability to read e-books for free while in a Barnes & Noble store. This article mentions something I haven't heard anywhere else. It says that owners will be able to use their Nooks to "browse inside a book for up to an hour on each title". So, unless you're are a speed reader, it's doesn't sound like you can expect to spend your weekends at B&N reading complete books without paying for them.

Tommy Ceez
10-26-09, 08:48 PM
There is an interesting article about the Nook at Slate.com's The Big Money.

The Big Money (http://www.thebigmoney.com/features/kindle-chronicles/2009/10/22/nook-doom?page=full)

One of the big features of the Nook is the ability to read e-books for free while in a Barnes & Noble store. This article mentions something I haven't heard anywhere else. It says that owners will be able to use their Nooks to "browse inside a book for up to an hour on each title". So, unless you're are a speed reader, it's doesn't sound like you can expect to spend your weekends at B&N reading complete books without paying for them.

Its similar to browsing the aisles at B&N. If you want to read a whole book for free download from the library

Dusty Bottoms
10-26-09, 09:12 PM
Its similar to browsing the aisles at B&N. If you want to read a whole book for free download from the library

I agree. I just hadn't seen this limitation mentioned anywhere on B&N's site. I wonder how many people planned to be able to read an e-book as long as they wanted while in the store.

Supermallet
10-27-09, 10:03 AM
To be fair, I'm also not seeing a lot of the marketing materials say "Read whole books while at B&N!" I'm seeing more stuff like "Get exclusive coupons and deals if you bring your Nook into a B&N."

Dusty Bottoms
10-27-09, 01:24 PM
To be fair, I'm also not seeing a lot of the marketing materials say "Read whole books while at B&N!" I'm seeing more stuff like "Get exclusive coupons and deals if you bring your Nook into a B&N."

I'm not sure if it's listed in all of their marketing materials, but it seems to be a key selling point. B&N has been posting articles on their eReading blog since the announcement. The first article ("Introducing nook") listed the following features:

*Download eBooks, magazines and newspapers in seconds flat
*Enjoy eBooks on an incredibly readable E Ink® reading screen
*Navigate your eBooks and other content on a color touchscreen
*Sync your eBooks to your iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Mac or PC
*Share eBooks with friends using one of our eReader clients
*Read any eBook for free in a Barnes & Noble store
*Get special content and promotions in any Barnes & Noble store

Also, if you click on "Features" from the Nook page at BN.com, it mentions that "And soon, you will be able to read entire eBooks for free at your local Barnes & Noble."

Honestly, this won't be the make or break feature for me. I'm more concerned with the current lack of gift card support, lack of membership discounts and the ebook prices in general.

drmoze
10-27-09, 02:20 PM
I am definitely not in the mainstream with respect to ebooks, if the comments here are representative of general opinions. I want (and have) a nice "electronic book" that stores hundreds of volumes (mostly novels), has a large and very easy-on-the-eyes display (e-ink) that is far more paperlike and comfortable than an active display, has a simple menu system that is accessed briefly when I start a new book, and has a huge battery life (2-3 weeks) so it acts more like a book than a power-hungry gadget that is likely to die on you at the worst time.

Do I want or need wi-fi/3G? Hell no. Eats battery up fast, and I don't need it when I have a couple of hundred books waiting for me to read on my ebook device.

Do I want a color lcd display? Hell no. Eats battery, and is useless. Simple sortable text menus let me quickly find my next book (in a few seconds) which I then spend up to several hours reading before revisiting the menu.

Do I need a cool Android OS? Hell no. Whatever is running on my ebook device works fine for selecting books to read, turning pages, changing font sizes, etc.

Do I need a dictionary/web browser/touchscreen? Hell no. All I need is something that stores and lets me read lots of books comfortably. I have a blackberry and netbook for looking up things on Wiki, reading short blogs, etc.

Seriously, trying to tack non-core features onto an ebook device really impairs the basic functionality. Apparently it sells, but I (and several friends/relatives who are also avid READERS) are happy with our simpler, focused and handier ebook devices.

kenbuzz
10-27-09, 02:46 PM
Not to argue with you drm, but can't one extend your arguments to "Do I need an electronic book reader? Hell no. Paper doesn't eat up batteries, and I can't read more than one book at a given moment anyway regardless of format. $250 can buy a shitload of a lot of books, an my standard paper books can't be deleted when a vendor's license changes."

Need is one thing.
Want is another.

Supermallet
10-27-09, 05:14 PM
Also, you only need the 3G on when you're downloading and/or browsing books, so not very often. The LCD screen is also not as bright as they are on cell phones, again to save battery.

Supermallet
10-27-09, 05:47 PM
Ruh-roh: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/liquavistas-e-reader-displays-do-video-and-color-video/#continued

mhg83
10-27-09, 06:37 PM
I received my Kindle today. After reading for an hour, I really like it. The design is okay but not 'Ugly as sin' as some have described it in past posts.

The keyboard function is hard to input buttons at times but I gues I'll get used to it eventually.

The screen itself is very easy on my eyes. We'll see what happens when I read for three hours.

Overall i really like the device and is well worth he $220 price.

Are there any sites where i can download free public domain e-books straight from my kindle?

Ginwen
10-28-09, 03:14 PM
I received my Kindle today. After reading for an hour, I really like it. The design is okay but not 'Ugly as sin' as some have described it in past posts.

The keyboard function is hard to input buttons at times but I gues I'll get used to it eventually.

The screen itself is very easy on my eyes. We'll see what happens when I read for three hours.

Overall i really like the device and is well worth he $220 price.

Are there any sites where i can download free public domain e-books straight from my kindle?

Go to moblileread.com. There are two "books" there (from mobileread and feedbooks) that you'll either have to download using the web browser, or just put on your computer and transfer via USB. Once you do it once, though, they each contain a link that alllows you to update the list by just clicking on it. Each of them has tons of public domain books. The feedbooks one is more nicely formatted, the mobileread one gets stuff quicker and has more. So I use both. These are probably the number one best thing to put on your kindle as they give you free easy wireless access to tons of free books, most are formatted really well too (better than books you buy a lot of times).

Here's the thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48492

Here's links to the two lists, you can either save these to your computer and transfer to the kindle, or just put the locations in on your kindle's web browser, and after a few minutes they'll show up on your main books list. One thing when you put these in your kindle web browser (either now or in the future)--there is a little progress tracking thing in the top left corner, wait until it's 100 percent before navigating away from the screen or the download may not complete--found that out the hard way)
Mobileread Kindle PD book list (http://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide)
Feedbooks Kindle PD book list (http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide)

mhg83
10-28-09, 09:43 PM
Here's links to the two lists, you can either save these to your computer and transfer to the kindle, or just put the locations in on your kindle's web browser, and after a few minutes they'll show up on your main books list. One thing when you put these in your kindle web browser (either now or in the future)--there is a little progress tracking thing in the top left corner, wait until it's 100 percent before navigating away from the screen or the download may not complete--found that out the hard way)
Mobileread Kindle PD book list (http://www.mobileread.com/mobiguide)
Feedbooks Kindle PD book list (http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide)

Great links! Thanks for all the info and tips.

Supermallet
11-01-09, 03:24 PM
Does anyone here use Fictionwise? The prices seem better than B&N (which is funny because it's owned by B&N) and they have a membership program that gives you 15% off any book's lowest price, even on top of other promotions or discounts (plus a free ebook up to $9.99 for every year of your membership). Plus, all files purchased from Fictionwise can be sideloaded on the Nook without any issues. I was strongly considering it, but before I plunked money down I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it.

Ginwen
11-01-09, 04:47 PM
Does anyone here use Fictionwise? The prices seem better than B&N (which is funny because it's owned by B&N) and they have a membership program that gives you 15% off any book's lowest price, even on top of other promotions or discounts (plus a free ebook up to $9.99 for every year of your membership). Plus, all files purchased from Fictionwise can be sideloaded on the Nook without any issues. I was strongly considering it, but before I plunked money down I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it.

I've bought multiformat stuff off there (Asimov's SF mag and Analog SF mag) for my Kindle. It works great, although I have to connect to my computer to get it instead of wireless. If you get the non-multi-format stuff you just have to make sure it works on your nook, for Kindle I'm pretty much limited to the non-copy-protected stuff on there (might be a way around it, but I haven't had the need to figure it out).

Ranger
11-01-09, 04:47 PM
I think Wired said BN offers a million ebooks while Amazon offers 350,000.

I have to admit I prefer the basic kindle look, don't really like the color nook dock thing unless that can be switched off while reading.

Ginwen
11-01-09, 05:04 PM
I think Wired said BN offers a million ebooks while Amazon offers 350,000.

I have to admit I prefer the basic kindle look, don't really like the color nook dock thing unless that can be switched off while reading.

That's counting google books.

I think people will have a much better idea once it comes out, I expect that, as it is with Sony and Amazon, most new books will come in both. So far there are very few exclusives (I only know of one specifically on the Kindle, a short story by Stephen King that's about a Kindle).

Supermallet
11-01-09, 06:36 PM
I've bought multiformat stuff off there (Asimov's SF mag and Analog SF mag) for my Kindle. It works great, although I have to connect to my computer to get it instead of wireless. If you get the non-multi-format stuff you just have to make sure it works on your nook, for Kindle I'm pretty much limited to the non-copy-protected stuff on there (might be a way around it, but I haven't had the need to figure it out).

The Nook will read any book from Fictionwise, as far as I've been able to suss out.

Ginwen
11-02-09, 02:11 PM
The Nook will read any book from Fictionwise, as far as I've been able to suss out.

Cool, well it's definitely reputable, and they have good deals sometimes. The fact that they do have so much multiformat is a plus too, because that stuff you'll be able to read no matter what reader you have.

Supermallet
11-04-09, 09:08 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this article: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/03/spring-design-alex-comes-out-to-play-and-show-off-marvells-arma/

This isn't the first write-up I've seen that indicates that 2010 should see significant advances in e-reader technology, from the refresh rates to color e-ink to better interfaces and so on. It's making me reconsider getting a Nook. Not in favor the Kindle, mind you, but in favor of one of these third party readers.

Supermallet
11-05-09, 05:33 PM
I haven't stopped thinking about the potential explosion of better ereaders on the horizon, so I went ahead and canceled my nook order. I can always reorder if it looks like nothing better is forthcoming, but for $313, I can afford to wait to get the product I feel is the best value for the money.

Ginwen
11-05-09, 05:35 PM
No idea how well this will work but I haven't seen things like this for Kindle before so had to check it out (plus it's only a penny).

Interactive Sudoku for Kindle 2 and Kindle DX - Volume 1 (Mobi Games) (Kindle Edition) (http://www.amazon.com/Interactive-Sudoku-Kindle-DX-Games/dp/B002UPVVXI/ref=sr_1_88?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1257410697&sr=1-88)
Our best interactive Sudoku puzzles are now available for Kindle!

Whether you are a novice to Sudoku or an experienced player this collection will sharpen your mind.

Each Sudoku volume contains 20 different Sudoku puzzles: five puzzles for each difficulty level.

The objective a Sudoku game is to fill a 9X9 grid so that numbers 1 through 9 occur exactly once in each row, column, and 3X3 box.

With Mobi Sudoku you can:

Check your progress at any time. The number of wrong entries will be reported.
Remove errors. Use it if you feel you made too many mistakes and want to keep your correct entries but remove incorrect ones.
See the solution
Reset the puzzle if you want to start over.
Add a clue if you feel that you are stuck. A single number will be added to a randomly chosen empty cell.
Note: Whispernet wireless needs to be turned on when a new game is loaded. Once a game is loaded, wireless can be turned off to conserve battery power.

darkside
11-05-09, 08:29 PM
I've bought a ton of books from there over the past 6-7 years. I love their site and even though B&N bought them out this year they have stayed the same. The membership is really worth it if you buy a lot of books. They are also doing rebates all the time where they give you 50 - 100% of the book price back to buy other books. The Nook will probably support ePub and eReader format so pretty much everything you buy there will work on the Nook and PC. Not to mention iPhone and many other devices. I'm holding off on buying a Nook. Too pricey and my iPod Touch and Netbook work well enough for me.

meglet
11-10-09, 11:41 AM
Kindle for PC (beta) is now available: link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311). Mac version is "coming soon."

I've downloaded and poked at it a bit, looks pretty nice. I'm really hoping it will make reading tech manuals and color stuff like photography books useful, then I can read those on my netbook or my 24" monitor, and read novels on my Kindle 2.

Hmm, it occurs to me to wonder if the PC app counts against the 6-device limit. Although I believe it's 6 devices per book (except specific publisher limitations,) not per account.

Ranger
11-11-09, 04:38 PM
I just tried the new Amazon software and was very disappointed, it's way too limited and I don't like the non-native GUI. IMO, the BN PC reader is far superior. Guess BN will be my ebook source.

HE Pennypacker
11-11-09, 06:15 PM
No browser on the Nook. Kills it for me.

Sessa17
11-15-09, 06:02 PM
I was literally about a click away from pre-ordering a Nook for myself when I found out a few things that have really turned me off to it if they are true.

No additional discounts for B&N members on ebooks as they consider ebook already discounted, despite being more expensive then most Kingle versions.

It has been confirmed that GC cannot be used on B&N ebooks b/c of the exclusive way they are downloaded to the Nook. This is mayeb the biggest turn off to me, they have to remedy this.

And this one, I don't know if it's true but it sounds awful, you have to login with your credit card number every single time you open up an ebook. Wheter you have already downloaded it or not. Someone told me this today, & if that is true that is attrocious.

This is a real shame b/c I have really grown to love the design of the nook more than the kindle.

Supermallet
11-15-09, 11:17 PM
That last one can't possibly be true. The Nook would be borderline unusable if that were the case.

Either way, I'm content to wait till 2010 to get an e-reader. I feel things will get sorted out by Q2 or Q3 next year.

Sessa17
11-16-09, 06:53 PM
This is good news & makes me one step closer to going for the Nook

http://consumerist.com/5406136/

Supermallet
11-17-09, 02:21 AM
Excellent. Now they just need to lower the pricing on their ebooks.

Sessa17
11-17-09, 11:22 AM
Excellent. Now they just need to lower the pricing on their ebooks.

Yeah, if they do that I'm getting one without a doubt. I compared about 20 books that would be my first downloads & literally every single one of them was cheaper for the Kindle.

I'm probably going to get a Nook anyway, b/c I think already announcing that they are switching to allowing GC use, shows they are listening to the complaints of the consumers & are willing to make adjustments.

Ranger
11-17-09, 02:37 PM
This is good news & makes me one step closer to going for the Nook

http://consumerist.com/5406136/Great news, mid-Dec isn't that far away, plenty of time for folks to get me BN gift cards for xmas.

I'm still not sure about the credit card encryption thing. My first thoughts were 1) what happens if you change your cc number and 2) will people be able to open their ebooks if their pc is offline at the moment? I've also wondered if itunes could play drm music offline.

Sessa17
11-17-09, 04:29 PM
I'm still not sure about the credit card encryption thing. My first thoughts were 1) what happens if you change your cc number and 2) will people be able to open their ebooks if their pc is offline at the moment? I've also wondered if itunes could play drm music offline.

I have nothing to base that statement on, only that a friend told me this. I'm really not worried about it anymore, even if that is the case, B&N could easily fix it. Right now, my only major reservation is matching Amazon's better ebook prices.

Supermallet
11-17-09, 11:39 PM
A quick and dirty breakdown of current e-readers:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/engadgets-holiday-gift-guide-e-book-readers/#continued

The last portion ("Wait") applies directly to me.

Sessa17
11-18-09, 05:19 PM
A quick and dirty breakdown of current e-readers:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/engadgets-holiday-gift-guide-e-book-readers/#continued

The last portion ("Wait") applies directly to me.

I understand the "wait", but I'm ready for one now. The Kindle & Nook (especiallly) both fit everything I am looking for for the most part, I have no interest in a bigger model, & the only future e-reader that I will likely be interested in is Apple, b/c I'm an Apple whore, but it is still likely a couple of years away at best. So I'd rather have a Nook or Kindle now, & enjoy it for a while. By the time whatever one you (or anyone) is waiting for is actually released, the second you get it, another future ereader will be right around the corner.

Supermallet
11-18-09, 08:19 PM
That's fine. I'm not saying you should wait for the end-all, be-all ereader. I'm just looking for a few things that aren't currently available (faster refresh, color e-ink). I also think giving the technology a little while longer to mature won't be a bad thing. I've got plenty of physical books I still need to read to tide me over, not to mention movies, music, and games.

Ranger
11-23-09, 04:59 PM
And this one, I don't know if it's true but it sounds awful, you have to login with your credit card number every single time you open up an ebook. Wheter you have already downloaded it or not. Someone told me this today, & if that is true that is attrocious.
oK, did some testing.
1) Yes, it is true that cc number needs to be entered to unlock the ebook.
2) But the ebook only has to be unlocked the FIRST time you open it OR if you re-name the PDB file. I think that is somewhat reasonable.
3) Yes, you still can read the ebooks on the PC offline (if unlocked already). The program will say to check network connection and then prompt you to login again. Just close that and ebooks open fine offline.

And in other news:
Barnes & Noble’s Nook Sold Out for the Holidays (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/barnes-nobles-nook-sold-out-for-the-holidays/)

meglet
11-24-09, 05:26 PM
For those looking for PDF support, Amazon release an update today for K2s and Kindle DX that improves battery life, adds PDF support to the 6" Kindle, and adds the ability to rotate the screen.

However, it also breaks the custom font and screensaver hacks, so those of you who have them installed will have to either give them up, or wait to install the update and hope the hacks are re-hacked.

I'm waiting for now, because I don't need PDF support, don't have a battery life problem, and want my custom screensavers more than I want the screen rotation. But when the update comes out next year to allow "organization" (folders or otherwise) I'll have quite the dilemma if it breaks the screensavers again.

mhg83
11-24-09, 10:01 PM
For those looking for PDF support, Amazon release an update today for K2s and Kindle DX that improves battery life, adds PDF support to the 6" Kindle, and adds the ability to rotate the screen.

However, it also breaks the custom font and screensaver hacks, so those of you who have them installed will have to either give them up, or wait to install the update and hope the hacks are re-hacked.

I'm waiting for now, because I don't need PDF support, don't have a battery life problem, and want my custom screensavers more than I want the screen rotation. But when the update comes out next year to allow "organization" (folders or otherwise) I'll have quite the dilemma if it breaks the screensavers again.

How do you update the Kindle?

Ginwen
11-25-09, 12:54 AM
How do you update the Kindle?

Typically, just turn on the wireless and at some point it'll update on its own. I assume the people that don't want the update never use the wireless. Now that I know this is out there I'll just turn on my wireless overnight.

Edit: or if you're impatient you may be to do what it says here to apply it sooner" http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200324680

drmoze
11-26-09, 12:33 PM
Yeah, if they do that I'm getting one without a doubt. I compared about 20 books that would be my first downloads & literally every single one of them was cheaper for the Kindle.

Of course, it is a WHOLE lot less (100% less, in fact) to borrow ebooks from a library on a Sony Reader. I'm reading the latest David Baldacci book (First Family) right now, and it didn't cost a cent. That's a whole $9.99 cheaper than what I'd have to pay on the Kindle! :up:

xmiyux
11-26-09, 04:09 PM
Of course, it is a WHOLE lot less (100% less, in fact) to borrow ebooks from a library on a Sony Reader. I'm reading the latest David Baldacci book (First Family) right now, and it didn't cost a cent. That's a whole $9.99 cheaper than what I'd have to pay on the Kindle! :up:

No libraries near me loan out ebooks. :(

kms_md
11-27-09, 01:32 PM
has anyone tried out the new pdf support in the kindle 2? this was the sole feature i was waiting for before purchasing.

mhg83
11-27-09, 03:08 PM
has anyone tried out the new pdf support in the kindle 2? this was the sole feature i was waiting for before purchasing.

I loaded a few pdf files and its a serious disappointment. The font size is really small and there's no way to increase the font or even zoom in! Hopefully amazon fixes these issues, it's un-readable.

Ranger
11-27-09, 03:53 PM
Of course, it is a WHOLE lot less (100% less, in fact) to borrow ebooks from a library on a Sony Reader. I'm reading the latest David Baldacci book (First Family) right now, and it didn't cost a cent. That's a whole $9.99 cheaper than what I'd have to pay on the Kindle! :up:That's cool, but some of us do want to support the authors, publishers, and bookstores.

BN also seemed to recently have brought down their ebook prices to "normal" as in costing about the same at Amazon kindle store. For example, I recall someone saying the BN ebook "The Stand" by Stephen King cost about $40, but now it is $7.19 - same price as the kindle edition. Now they just need to get their gift cards to work for buying ebooks.

Ranger
11-27-09, 03:59 PM
I loaded a few pdf files and its a serious disappointment. The font size is really small and there's no way to increase the font or even zoom in! Hopefully amazon fixes these issues, it's un-readable.Are some of those the google books? I think they're the scanned pdf-types, not the selectable text pdf-type. So I'd expect only the latter to be able to have fonts adjusted. Not sure if it's both types that can't be zoomed.

mhg83
11-27-09, 05:13 PM
Are some of those the google books? I think they're the scanned pdf-types, not the selectable text pdf-type. So I'd expect only the latter to be able to have fonts adjusted. Not sure if it's both types that can't be zoomed.

It was an e-book

Ginwen
11-27-09, 05:25 PM

It wasnt the deciding factor for me, but I can read library books on my kindle thanks to a guy named Igor who posts on Mobileread. The selection's pretty crappy around me even though I have two libraries (King County and Seattle Public) to get them from so I don't end up checking that often to see if they have it (I did at first but about 99 percent of the time, they didn't have the book so I just got out of the habit, whispernet is evilly tempting to me). I usually use the library when something is total crap but I want to read it anyway (like I read 3 of the 4 twilight books that way, so at least I wasn't contributing much money).

As far as PDFs, I'm glad they added support for them, but I've always thought that if I really wanted to look at a lot of PDFs, I'd probably buy one of the larger sized e-readers like the DX or one of the others, it just seems to me they'd look better although I don't really know.

Ginwen
11-27-09, 05:35 PM
It was an e-book

I know you were just seeing how it would look (which is apparently crappy) but did you try converting it to kindle format. I know Amazon converts for about a dime, or you can get converters I'm sure (there's even a converter that installs right on your kindle but I'm kinda paranoid about that). I'm just curious how they look, I haven't tried myself because there's been nothing I really wanted to read that was PDF only (not so far, that is).

meglet
11-27-09, 05:46 PM
For converting to Kindle format, I really like MobiPocket Creator (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadSoft/ProductDetailsCreator.asp). It will convert from .txt, doc, PDF, and a couple others to a Kindle compatible format. Quick, easy, and it usually even does a pretty decent job of picking up chapter markers in PDF documents.

Ginwen, as for the library books, I have heard that the New York Public Library will let you check books out even if you don't live in NY. I haven't tried it myself since I am a re-reader, so I prefer to purchase books instead of check them out.

Supermallet
12-07-09, 06:13 PM
Did anyone end up getting a Nook? I've heard reports of it being laggy.

Deke Rivers
12-08-09, 06:13 AM
Did anyone end up getting a Kindle? I've heard reports of it being laggy.
laggy? as in slow? i have a Kindle 1 and have not experienced that

Supermallet
12-08-09, 02:06 PM
Sorry, I meant Nook. Fixed it in my original post.

Sessa17
12-08-09, 03:30 PM
Sorry, I meant Nook. Fixed it in my original post.

None have shipped yet, not even to stores (only a few of the largest stores got them for demo). B&N's handling of this has turned me off to the Nook. I'm getting a Kindle for X-mas, I just want it for reading. I was psyched for all the bells & whistles the Nook had, but given all the delays, & their reluctance to even have them out early for demo, the Nook has the potential to be a disaster with early problems. The Kindle will hold me over until the eventual Apple tablet, since I'm an Apple fanatic.

Tommy Ceez
12-08-09, 03:38 PM
So the consensus is that if I want to borrow from the NYPL's 17,000 e-book collection and dont want to spend a lot on bells and whistles I should get the Sony Pocket Reader, but if the lack of an on-line dictionary is a dealbreaker I should buy the Nook?

EDIT:

Although there might be a lesser known reader that fits my needs and has the dictionary for the price of the Sony or does the Nook thing for cheaper I have a long standing policy that lesser known electronics products SUCK because there is no information online, no 3rd party accessories, and no help at all with these things (I'm looking at you iRiver mp3 players!)

Sessa17
12-08-09, 06:47 PM
I guess I was wrong, the Nook's are shipping now.

Here is a good, in-depth review. . .
http://gizmodo.com/5420216/barnes--noble-nook-review-pretty-damn-good

nevermind
12-08-09, 07:49 PM
From the gizmodo article:

some noise has been made about Kindle books being cheaper than B&N ebooks, but Barnes & Noble says that they are in the process of correcting their prices, basically evening them all out so that they're no higher than Amazon's.

Update 3: Re: discussions of who has the better catalog, B&N's is being overhauled this week, so expect to see a lot of new pricing and perhaps some newly available titles. We'll do some spot checking later on, but in the meantime, don't be surprised if you see a lot of sudden changes to the lineup.

This will be interesting. And may determine if we are Nook owners by spring.

Deep_lurk
12-08-09, 08:56 PM
I should get the Sony Pocket Reader, but if the lack of an on-line dictionary is a dealbreaker I should buy the Nook?

When you are reading paper books, do you insist on having a dictionary at your side at all times?

Supermallet
12-09-09, 12:47 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/barnes-and-noble-nook-review/

Both the Gizmodo and Engadget reviews agree that currently the software is supbar, and the usability of the Nook will depend on updates from B&N.

Tommy Ceez
12-09-09, 09:52 AM
When you are reading paper books, do you insist on having a dictionary at your side at all times?

Obviously not when traveling, but at home I like to have a pocket dictionary around. It was invaluable during THE BAROQUE CYCLE.

Sessa17
12-09-09, 06:24 PM
New York Times article from their Tech guy just killed the Nook. As expected, B&N have a lot of bugs to work out.

Supermallet
12-09-09, 07:28 PM
That's such a shame. It's an e-reader. It shouldn't be that difficult to work out.

Ginwen
12-09-09, 07:35 PM
Here's the New York Times review. I didn't have to make an account to look at it so hopefully you don't either. He's pretty unimpressed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/technology/personaltech/10pogue.html?_r=1&ref=books

xmiyux
12-09-09, 08:17 PM
He seems down on e-ink in general. Does that reviewer like any of the e-readers?

Ranger
12-09-09, 09:40 PM
I think the reviewer is right that the Nook touchscreen and wifi are useless.

I didn't know the kindle could adjust the screen to have the wide view and read text out loud. Plus the longer battery life. Seems like the kindle is the winner, esp. it being 2nd gen now. Both still have things to improve.

Ranger
12-10-09, 12:26 AM
Wow, the new BN pc reader v2 is horrible, completely different from the first, which was good. Worst thing is that credit card number has to be entered AGAIN after the update. That was the last straw, good thing I only got the free ebooks.

Supermallet
12-22-09, 04:01 PM
Nook got an OTA update. I've heard it runs a bit faster now, but it's nothing earth shattering (which would be dangerous).

Sessa17
12-22-09, 05:26 PM
Nook got an OTA update. I've heard it runs a bit faster now, but it's nothing earth shattering (which would be dangerous).

At least it seems most of the issues with the Nook are software related, so they can be fixed with updates (hopefully). Personally, the launch it has just really soured me on the product. It is obvious B&N were never ready with the product or the demane so they should not have launched it when they did.

Supermallet
12-23-09, 02:24 PM
Clearly they were trying to cut in to Amazon's holiday Kindle sales. Also, they just sent out a $100 GC for anyone who ordered a Nook and expected to get it by Christmas but won't be, so at least they're acknowledging they messed up.

Also, a homebrew community has already popped up for Nook. I finally saw one in a B&N store and messed around with it, found it to be way too slow and not intuitive. So unless the software really picks up, I will wait for yet another ereader from somewhere else.

Sessa17
12-23-09, 03:41 PM
Clearly they were trying to cut in to Amazon's holiday Kindle sales. Also, they just sent out a $100 GC for anyone who ordered a Nook and expected to get it by Christmas but won't be, so at least they're acknowledging they messed up.

Also, a homebrew community has already popped up for Nook. I finally saw one in a B&N store and messed around with it, found it to be way too slow and not intuitive. So unless the software really picks up, I will wait for yet another ereader from somewhere else.

That's fairly nice of them to offer the $100 GC. I understand their motivation to push the Nook out when they did, I just don't agree with it, & find it half-assed. If they focused on the product content & quality, it wouldn't matter what time of year it was released. A good product (especially a niche electronic one) will catch on & create buzz no matter what.

Personally, I just want an eReader for reading, so I've decided the Kindle is just perfect for me right now. I'm fairly certain I'm getting once for X-mas, which will keep me happy until the Apple tablet is ready.

Michael T Hudson
12-23-09, 04:17 PM
I saw a Kindle for the first time in person today. The guy in from of me in Subway was reading a book in line. I was shocked at how thin it was. Seems pretty cool.

Drop
12-24-09, 11:02 PM
Wife got me a Kindle, totally unexpected. It's so cool, off to project Gutenberg!

fiver
12-25-09, 08:53 AM
Don't go to project gutenberg if you can help it - a lot of their proofreading and formatting leaves much to be desired. Sites like www.mobileread.com and www.feedbooks.net have thousands of PD texts in mobi formatted files and omnibus volumes.

Plus the forums on mobileread are quite helpful.

Congrats on the kindle!

Michael

mhg83
12-25-09, 10:34 AM
Did Amazon disable text to speech? Every book i click on does not have it!

fiver
12-25-09, 12:19 PM
Text to Speech is enabled or disabled on a per book basis based on publisher request.

There are programs out there that allow the text to speech bit to be enabled I believe.

Michael

Sessa17
12-25-09, 12:30 PM
Well, I don't need to worry about debating over which eReader to get anymore. I unwrapped these this morning (already started playing with the kindle). . .
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/glenjs/001-7.jpg?t=1261765762

xmiyux
12-25-09, 01:05 PM
You got both? Damn.

Your family want to adopt a public school teacher by the name of miyu for the holidays? ;)

Supermallet
12-25-09, 03:10 PM
You got both? Sheesh. Willing to part with your Nook? If so, PM me a price.

Drop
12-26-09, 08:07 AM
Don't go to project gutenberg if you can help it - a lot of their proofreading and formatting leaves much to be desired. Sites like www.mobileread.com and www.feedbooks.net have thousands of PD texts in mobi formatted files and omnibus volumes.

Plus the forums on mobileread are quite helpful.

Congrats on the kindle!

Michael

Gutenberg formatting doesn't bother be. Thanks for the other links though, always great!

Deep_lurk
12-26-09, 02:55 PM
Gutenberg formatting doesn't bother be. Thanks for the other links though, always great!

The preceding message was proofread by Project Gutenberg...

Drop
12-26-09, 05:32 PM
Well too late to edit it I guess...

Sessa17
12-27-09, 02:49 PM
You got both? Damn.

Your family want to adopt a public school teacher by the name of miyu for the holidays? ;)

Family only got me the Kindle, Nook was from the girlfriend.