Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Store and organize over 1000 discs

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Store and organize over 1000 discs

I have been looking for a why to store dvds and cds disc only I currantly have some where over 1000 discs in several cd/dvd folders I did alphabatize it once about that is a pain to keep up though.
I thought about buying a dresser or something with not to deep drawers then put some sort of dividers in it and just store my discs in sleeves.

Anybody have any ideas or the way they use to store ther discs?
Old 11-17-07, 02:44 PM

I keep mine on shelves (which seems like something you'd like to stay away from, and after just buying my 5th major (450 DVD) shelf yesterday, I can see why!)

While looking for mine, I did come across these types of cases:
http://www.amazon.com/600-CD-Hard-Ca...332032&sr=8-38
Also take a look at the 'related items' - they seem nice in that they hold a large quantity of CD's (this one does 600, most of the others do 500). The ones I looked at seemed very easy to organize (just insert or remove each individual sleeve) rather than moving the actual discs like you usually do in CD/DVD folders.

Can't say how the quality is but the reviews I've seen have been positive.
Old 11-17-07, 03:15 PM

I have 1200 discs across 7 binders. These are the kind where you can add, move the pages. When I first loaded it, I only put 1 or 2 per page - thus allowing me to add with minimum pain. Once every 2 or 3 years I have to do a major shift of discs to allow for room, but this is a small price to pay for having 1200 discs fit in a 2'x2' cubicle.
Old 11-17-07, 03:24 PM

http://flickr.com/photos/barelyfitz/...7603093089870/

please don't actually do that
Old 11-17-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For stuff I keep in binders, I labeled the binders and just kept track of the movies in a database. I don't have to worry about keeping stuff in order in the binders and if I want to find something I just use the database to tell me what binder a movie's in.

I use Movie Collector from www.collectorz.com
Old 11-17-07, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by domino harvey
the way they are stored in that last picture was kind of what I was thinking of doing. I would never destroy the original case or cover like that I did think about scanning and shinking then printing a new cover but that is a lot of work and printer ink is expensive.

Last edited by pheezie; 11-17-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-18-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pheezie
... I would never destroy the original case or cover like that ....

OK, I realized that you did say you were thinking of making the cases smaller, but you mentioned it would be too much work.

So what I wonder is (and not just with you) is when people store their DVDs in binders and hard cases like the amazon.com link and insist they don't destroy the original packaging and save it...where do you store the original packaging if you are so intent on saving space? And why not just store the DVDs in the original packaging since you are hanging on to it anyway?

Now this I never really understood. I can only surmise that people are just saving the inserts (when applicable) and cover art and storing them in a file cabinet. But are there people who keep them in binders and such and still hang on to the original cases? What's the point? So if somebody broke into your house you made it easier for the thief to take off with your entire collection?

What I want is not longer or wider shelves to hold more DVDs. I want TALLER shelves to hold more DVDs. I don't care if I have to stand on a two step ladder to get to the top shelf....that to me would be the ideal way of making more space. I am so disappointed in shelving units that are shorter than me. It's like I have a unit that's 4 feet high but if I could get one 8 feet high I'd double my storage space! And I am being quite serious. Finding taller shelving units is pretty much impossible, unless you can find some that stack on each other and I haven't really found anything like that.
Old 11-18-07, 02:47 AM

This is what I use. I put my movies in Tyvek envelopes. I still use traditional shelving for TV series though. I am approaching 2000 movies and still have roam for probably 1000 more. Will take pics of mine when I get a chance.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Cd-288-L...VVviewprod.htm

It is $240 at DD before 20% off with free shipping.

Last edited by rockinbrian19; 11-18-07 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
So what I wonder is (and not just with you) is when people store their DVDs in binders and hard cases like the amazon.com link and insist they don't destroy the original packaging and save it...where do you store the original packaging if you are so intent on saving space? And why not just store the DVDs in the original packaging since you are hanging on to it anyway?
There's prime space in one's house/apartment and not so prime space. I've compressed part of my collection in slim cd jewel cases and store them in cheap shelving units I've gotten from Ikea. I use normal sized CD jewel cases that are marked with labels as dividers for the genres. It looks nice and is functional. The original DVD cases are stored in the closet in boxes from Staples, out of sight and way. They could also be stored in the basement, attic, apartment storage bin or even the garage where they would also be out of the way of normal daily traffic. Yes, the cases still take up space, but at least not prime living space.
Old 11-18-07, 10:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizza
There's prime space in one's house/apartment and not so prime space. I've compressed part of my collection in slim cd jewel cases and store them in cheap shelving units I've gotten from Ikea. I use normal sized CD jewel cases that are marked with labels as dividers for the genres. It looks nice and is functional. The original DVD cases are stored in the closet in boxes from Staples, out of sight and way. They could also be stored in the basement, attic, apartment storage bin or even the garage where they would also be out of the way of normal daily traffic. Yes, the cases still take up space, but at least not prime living space.
Exactly.

I'm back out of binders and into the original cases, but I may have to go back to binders someday with the empty cases under the bed, friend's basement, or at a storage site.
Old 11-18-07, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by rockinbrian19
This is what I use. I put my movies in Tyvek envelopes. I still use traditional shelving for TV series though. I am approaching 2000 movies and still have roam for probably 1000 more. Will take pics of mine when I get a chance.

http://scripts.affiliatefuture.com/A...VVviewprod.htm

I looked at those a little and for some reason thought that it only held 288cds didn't think about how many it would hold in just sleeves. It says 8' deep if I where to guess thats about 100 per drawer? What is the quailty of it.
This is a little more the I wanted to spend right now but at $191 after discount I might have to get this then find a better deal on sleeves.
I currantly get Dynex transparent double sided 50pk for $0.81 + tax at best buy with friends employee discount. I'm sure I could find a better deat for larger qty some where else but have not looked around yet.
Old 11-18-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rockinbrian19

http://scripts.affiliatefuture.com/A...VVviewprod.htm

In the envelopes you use, about how many disks fit in one of those drawers (I'm assuming they're not crammed in). I'm thinking of switching to a less space wasting storage solution if I can decide where to stash my cases (lots of room in the cabinets in the garage but I'd have to organize them first -- the horror!) and that looks like the kind of thing I'd like.
Old 11-18-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually know Fitz personally (he quoted me in his intro to the photo set). I couldn't do it, but it does cut down on the space DVDs take up in the living room.
Old 11-19-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did it and I don't regret it. I don't have space keep bookcases full of dvds in my apartment and I don't have room to store the cases.
Old 11-19-07, 04:23 PM

Hunter-gatherer instinct gone crazy if you ask me. Destroying the cover papers for the sake of saving space is where I draw the line - how about if you sold some of those instead? I seriously doubt you even have the time to watch all of them!
Old 11-19-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Hunter-gatherer instinct gone crazy if you ask me. Destroying the cover papers for the sake of saving space is where I draw the line - how about if you sold some of those instead? I seriously doubt you even have the time to watch all of them!

I didn't actually destroy the covers, but I did throw away the cases. I enjoy my movies which is why I bought them in the first place. I don't want to sell them. Who are you to tell me to sell my movies?
Old 11-19-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I bought a 400 dvd changer for my favorite movies. It's convenient to have that selection at my fingertips in my livingroom.

If looking to do something like that barelyfitz guy, you can get dj cd cases for fairly cheap that hold 1000 plus cds/dvds. In process of putting my cds in one. The cases will go in my attic.
Old 11-19-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mh4268
I bought a 400 dvd changer for my favorite movies. It's convenient to have that selection at my fingertips in my livingroom.
That's what I've been considering, actually. I was thinking of getting two of the 400 disc changers to hold all my movies - then scan all of the cover art and inserts into my Pronto TSU 7000 remote. Then I could set up a macro for each movie, so when I click on the cover art, it selects that disc in the changer and plays it.

Would be able to browse my entire collection from the remote. No need to get up and walk to the shelf, pick a movie and put it in the player - and I could just throw all the cases out and save that space.

HD DVD has kinda screwed that plan up for me though now... but that's only 30 titles to keep on the shelf (so far) as opposed to the 800 or so standard DVDs sitting on shelves in my living room.
Old 11-19-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
For stuff I keep in binders, I labeled the binders and just kept track of the movies in a database. I don't have to worry about keeping stuff in order in the binders and if I want to find something I just use the database to tell me what binder a movie's in.

I use Movie Collector from www.collectorz.com
I do exactly the same thing, except I use Ant Movie Catalog. And I periodically print a new catalog, insert the pages in page protectors back-to-back, and have a nice binder on the coffee table.

Having a few DVD binders hidden in a cabinet sure beats the "Netflix warehouse" look.

My next step is to turn my XBox360 into a multimedia jukebox. I've started encoding my DVDs to wmv and putting them on an external USB drive. I'm starting with TV shows since those are the most cumbersome to extract and select a particular episode.

Last edited by sracer; 11-19-07 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSm66
That's what I've been considering, actually. I was thinking of getting two of the 400 disc changers to hold all my movies - then scan all of the cover art and inserts into my Pronto TSU 7000 remote. Then I could set up a macro for each movie, so when I click on the cover art, it selects that disc in the changer and plays it.

Would be able to browse my entire collection from the remote. No need to get up and walk to the shelf, pick a movie and put it in the player - and I could just throw all the cases out and save that space.

HD DVD has kinda screwed that plan up for me though now... but that's only 30 titles to keep on the shelf (so far) as opposed to the 800 or so standard DVDs sitting on shelves in my living room.
Yeah I have not gotten hd/br because of the changer. Sometimes I feel like just watching certain scenes in a movie, and then I jump to another movie. Fun and lazy.
Old 11-20-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I do exactly the same thing, except I use Ant Movie Catalog. And I periodically print a new catalog, insert the pages in page protectors back-to-back, and have a nice binder on the coffee table.

Having a few DVD binders hidden in a cabinet sure beats the "Netflix warehouse" look.

My next step is to turn my XBox360 into a multimedia jukebox. I've started encoding my DVDs to wmv and putting them on an external USB drive. I'm starting with TV shows since those are the most cumbersome to extract and select a particular episode.
With Movie Collector, if you have a movie on your computer, you can put a link to it and then export the database to Windows Media Center. Then if you use an extender, like the 360, you can browse stuff by thumbnail and watch it that way.

At least I'm not the only guy that does the database/binder combo. I still have shelves of stuff, just not enough for everything.
Old 11-20-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer

I did that awhile ago with XBMC for regular xbox. It's supposed to be MUCH better than the 360 media center.
Old 11-20-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What I want is not longer or wider shelves to hold more DVDs. I want TALLER shelves to hold more DVDs. I don't care if I have to stand on a two step ladder to get to the top shelf....that to me would be the ideal way of making more space. I am so disappointed in shelving units that are shorter than me. It's like I have a unit that's 4 feet high but if I could get one 8 feet high I'd double my storage space! And I am being quite serious. Finding taller shelving units is pretty much impossible, unless you can find some that stack on each other and I haven't really found anything like that.
I would never buy a stand-alone piece of furniture to hold DVD's. First of all, they're expensive, they don't hold that many if you have a huge collection, and most are unexpandable.

What I've done for years (with CD's first, and then DVD's) was just go to the local lumber yard and buy wood planks made out of pine for shelves and wood blocks (actually used glass squares for the CD's as they were the right size) to stack each shelf on. You can stack the shelves all the way to the ceiling if you want, using the wood blocks on the sides, and cover an entire wall if you need to. It holds a LOT more (basically very little space is wasted) and it's a lot cheaper as well. Plus you can expand to whatever height you want. Just need to measure how long you want the shelves, and for the blocks, just make them maybe 2" taller than a DVD case so you can access the DVD's easily between the shelves. Calculate the number of shelves and blocks you will need to cover part of a wall or all the way to the ceiling. If you are worried there may be an earthquake and all of it will come tumbling down, use some adhesive double-sided glue-tape to secure some of the shelves to the wall. Mine go all the way to the ceiling and the top shelf is snug up there, so I don't think they will fall down unles maybe we get a 10.5. It also looks pretty cool and impressive to see so many DVD's shelved that way up to the ceiling. Even doing it this way on several walls, I think I'm going to need to expand soon! Just another trip to the lumber yard.
Old 11-20-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have just north of over 2500 DVD's and it was certainly a pain to store them after a while. Eventually I just dedicated a spare bedroom to disc storage. I have three 6' tall shelf units along one wall, which are double depth so each unit holds I believe around 700 discs. Only standard size, non TV sets are on these (those are on a different wall) and they are alphabetized. Once all three shelves filled to capacity (miraculously, A-Z fit almost perfectly) I decided to "lock" those shelves, meaning no new discs went on them and I started alphabetizing from scratch on new shelving units against another wall. It was just too much hassle adding new discs alphabetically with all the shifting, even if I only did it once a month.
Old 11-20-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
I would never buy a stand-alone piece of furniture to hold DVD's. First of all, they're expensive, they don't hold that many if you have a huge collection, and most are unexpandable.

What I've done for years (with CD's first, and then DVD's) was just go to the local lumber yard and buy wood planks made out of pine for shelves and wood blocks (actually used glass squares for the CD's as they were the right size) to stack each shelf on. You can stack the shelves all the way to the ceiling if you want, using the wood blocks on the sides, and cover an entire wall if you need to. It holds a LOT more (basically very little space is wasted) and it's a lot cheaper as well. Plus you can expand to whatever height you want. Just need to measure how long you want the shelves, and for the blocks, just make them maybe 2" taller than a DVD case so you can access the DVD's easily between the shelves. Calculate the number of shelves and blocks you will need to cover part of a wall or all the way to the ceiling. If you are worried there may be an earthquake and all of it will come tumbling down, use some adhesive double-sided glue-tape to secure some of the shelves to the wall. Mine go all the way to the ceiling and the top shelf is snug up there, so I don't think they will fall down unles maybe we get a 10.5. It also looks pretty cool and impressive to see so many DVD's shelved that way up to the ceiling. Even doing it this way on several walls, I think I'm going to need to expand soon! Just another trip to the lumber yard.
Any chance you have a pic of your setup? I'd be interested in doing something like that, but I'd like to see what it looks like as a whole.

Thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.