TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night lights "Pantherama"-11/16/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Friday Night lights "Pantherama"-11/16/07

Spoiler:
As college football scouts approach Smash, he must make a life-changing decision. Coach Taylor has set his sights on a potential addition to the team. Tami appoints Lyla and Tyra to be in charge of this year's Pantherama. Matt is living his dream, with his new cheerleader girlfriend by his side, but yet he is drawn to the live-in nurse. Julie turns her jealousy into a twisted relationship.
Old 11-16-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About time the nurse was in it some more.
Old 11-16-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
QB1 is getting bolder in his romantic life, that's for sure. Can't believe he bought that POS on his girlfriend's recommendation. WTF?

Coach and the wife bicker like no one's business, they crack me up.

Julie is so going to throw herself into John from Cincinnati, and mom has definitely got her puppy love radar up and running.

Does Tim ever go to school anymore?

The reaction to the "entertainment" portion of Pantherama was the highlight of the episode.

Smash is in over his head, trying to handle his own recruitment. He's probably going to screw up and cost the Panthers a win or two.

Last edited by Patman; 11-16-07 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-16-07, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
It was good to finally get a decent Smash storyline. His home dynamic is interesting, and it's been missing from the show.

Not a big fan of having Matt hook up with the caregiver, but that's been coming since she was introduced.

If I was supposed to feel sorry for Julie then it didn't work. She made her bed, now she has to lay in it. I just hope that they don't go the cheap teacher hookup route.

In all likelihood Tim would have been expelled by now if he was going to a real school.

I don't know Butchie instead.
Old 11-17-07, 12:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
I don't know Butchie instead.

He kept making the same dumb facial expressions he made as John and that really took me out of the scene.

Loved the look on Mrs. Coach's face when the football players started their dance.
Old 11-17-07, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good episode. No Street has become a good thing.
Matt & the caregiver have great chemistry together. It's great to see Matt's grandmother and the writers have made her seem more stable with the caregiver around.

Tyra and Riggins smolder together.

Will Buddy ruin the kids chance for a normal life, or will Buddy get the Surrogate Father of the Year Award?

Smash forcing his way into trouble and Coach Taylor will have to come to the rescue.

Lots of father issues on this show. Matt, Tyra, Riggins, Smash & New Guy. Even Julie (coach leaving town), Street(post accident marital stress) & Lyla(Buddy's infidelity) had daddy problems.

Last edited by Ayre; 11-17-07 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-17-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For once, I think Smash is doing the right thing. In the real world, if you've got the potential to go pro, you'd have to be insane not to go to a high profile football school. Football school and good education are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I think momma is way too fearful and not very believable the way they've written her character.
Old 11-17-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
For once, I think Smash is doing the right thing. In the real world, if you've got the potential to go pro, you'd have to be insane not to go to a high profile football school. Football school and good education are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I think momma is way too fearful and not very believable the way they've written her character.
Yes, but it's not like Smash hasn't made the wrong choice before. Last year he made an incredibly poor decision that the coach basically bailed him out on. I think his mom has the right and the duty to try to make sure that Smash is making the right decision.
Old 11-17-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thing Buddy has that other bunk bed for Riggins.
Old 11-17-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good episode. Although I think Matt's insane liking the nurse over Kim Smith. Or Julie for that matter.

Also great to see Smash's mom back on the show with actual lines this time and not just a token shot of her in the stands.
Old 11-17-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show has become way too ridiculous for me. I mean, continually snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in the fourth quarter of nearly every game during season 1 was ridiculous too, but like opening a socket or securing up a perimeter on 24, I could enjoy the show for what it was. Now FNL is just another high school drama, the point of which is to weave an increasingly-complex web of relationships without any further ambition. Somehow, the show became too comfortable in its lack of success.
Old 11-17-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Count me in as one who wants to see more of Smash's family.
Old 11-18-07, 07:56 AM

Where's the football??? I miss the football part of this football drama. At least it did touch on the pressures of recruitment.

I think Tim's been off the team long enough, bring him back so his storyline can stop being so boring. Give him a new love interest or something that helps him get back on track. I thought he was gonna take Street's place as a coach when he graduated (cause no one escapes Dillon), but he's not even gonna graduate.

Glad to see Matt doing better, it'll help his confidence on the field too (if they ever play another game) by acting more like a man in his personal life.

Kinda interested in the new Buddy storyline. Wonder if he'll actually start to care about the kid in place of his own...before social services snatches him away. BTW, won't Mrs. Coach be fired when it's found out that she broke the law & failed to contact social services (and gave away a kid to the town drunk/adulterer/asshole)?

I liked Street's screen time.

Tyra looked pretty hot this episode. I normally don't care. Why aren't her and Julie attached at the hip any more? Did I miss that in a previous episode?

Last edited by sabin357; 11-18-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sabin357
BTW, won't Mrs. Coach be fired when it's found out that she broke the law & failed to contact social services (and gave away a kid to the town drunk/adulterer/asshole)?
That was my first thought as well. She has zero power to place anyone anywhere, but I dont remember whether he is a minor or not (did they say?). He has to be 18+, I can't believe the writers would do it any other way. Tami is not stupid.

As for Tyra and Julie, I think they are reducing main char / min to reduce costs. The more characters on screen, the higher the costs. The only exception would be when the story requires it. I am just guessing :-) You see this a lot in Lost, where characters pair up for important scenes and are not on screen again for months.

Thats still my main beef this season. Lack of community. The fragmentation of the cast is the main reason it seems different and more of a teen angst drama, than a town obsession drama (IMO).

Last year there was a fair, rodeo, multiple dinners (pancake, roast, state pregame), powderpuff, cheerleading comp, football games ... and others. Times when groups of cast members are together and not just the players. This season they have split off into small groups that rarely intersect.

Last edited by Ayre; 11-18-07 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 10:11 AM

whats up with these high school kids hooking up with adults.
future jail time story line in the works?
Old 11-22-07, 05:36 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by enrage
whats up with these high school kids hooking up with adults.
future jail time story line in the works?
tell me about it, it seems to be the norm for this show now