Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

IFC's Dinner for Five: Season 2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFC's Dinner for Five: Season 2?

There is a listing on amazon for this release stating the date as yesterday (11/13/07). However, it states that they are out of stock already. I cant imagine this release being that huge that amazon sells out in a day. I cant find info elsewhere. Any idea if this was actually released?
Old 11-14-07, 02:36 PM

I'm not finding it listed for release at the usual haunts. Have you tried the IFC website?
Old 11-14-07, 02:54 PM

As far as I can find on the IFC site, they dont even have a listing for the previously released Season One dvd.
Old 11-14-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful. As I recall, this was one of those shows where Amazon had an "exclusive" deal to distribute the remaining seasons after #1. Unfortunately, they shipped as DVD-Rs, and some of them just flat out didn't work correct. People who ordered had a bitch of a time getting complete working seasons.

Maybe this is an actual release... but the combination of Amazon + Dinner for Five sets off all sorts of warning bells for me.
Old 11-14-07, 03:39 PM

Amazon seriously sent out DVD-Rs?
Old 11-14-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Yup. Notice the "replicated version" text on most of the entries:
http://www.amazon.com/dinnerforfive

It was part of their CustomFlix "On Demand" DVD replication program:
http://www.allbusiness.com/services/...4549419-1.html

The DVD-Rs are one thing... the fact that a huge chunk of them didn't even work is another. I'm sure a Google search will pull up some relevant threads around the internet. I didn't order (although I had planned to)... but I know a lot of folks when through a lot of hassle with these.

Last edited by bboisvert; 11-14-07 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 04:05 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
The problems were relatively minor in my opinion, things like missing video on one show (its an interview/audio show, I listen more than watch). They sent out corrected copies, let us keep the old, and sent a $10 coupon. I'd order again.
Old 11-14-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
The problems were relatively minor in my opinion, things like missing video on one show (its an interview/audio show, I listen more than watch). They sent out corrected copies, let us keep the old, and sent a $10 coupon. I'd order again.
Good to hear from someone who actually had direct experience. (As I said, I got scared off and stayed away.) Nice to hear that Amazon made things right -- in my experience, they have been the #1 etailer for this sort of thing. I don't think I've ever had an issue with them that wasn't resolved quickly and easilly.

Anyway, my point wasn't to prevent people from ordering... just to alert to past issues and the fact that these may be DVD-Rs (which isn't a big deal to everyone, but is a HUGE deal to some).
Old 11-14-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
The problems were relatively minor in my opinion, things like missing video on one show (its an interview/audio show, I listen more than watch).
I'd like to start a poll and see how many people would call "missing the video portion of one episode" a "relatively minor" problem.

I'm also interested in how responsive Amazon will be in 6 months when those DVD-R's all start to degrade.
Old 11-14-07, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Peep
I'm also interested in how responsive Amazon will be in 6 months when those DVD-R's all start to degrade.
DVD-Rs don't degrade after 6 months. I'm not saying they never will, but none of mine have, and I doubt the validity of that lifespan estimate.

Also, a DVD-R would be called the "duplicated" version. Replication is the process of producing actual pressed DVDs.
Old 11-14-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDA
DVD-Rs don't degrade after 6 months. I'm not saying they never will, but none of mine have, and I doubt the validity of that lifespan estimate.
Cheap DVD-R's certainly show signs of degradation after 6 months, despite the fact that they may continue to play correctly.