Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Military Wives Form Non-Profit to Equip Troops with Video Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Military Wives Form Non-Profit to Equip Troops with Video Games

Got this from GamePolitics.com.

There may not be, as the saying goes, any atheists in foxholes.

But there certainly are plenty of gamers.

A newly-formed non-profit group hopes to keep many of those soldier-gamers relaxed between missions by collecting games and systems for deployed U.S. military personnel.

As reported by the Bucks County Courier-Times (in GP’s neck of the woods, actually), Fun For Our Troops was started by military wife Stefanie Doctor Shea. Sgt. Michael Shea, her husband, was recently deployed for a second tour of duty in Iraq. The Sheas are seen in the photo at left, taken on the day of Sgt. Shea left for Iraq.

Choosing video games as the focus of her support efforts was far from a random choice. Before her husband shipped out the couple spent a lot of their down time enjoying the Nintendo Wii at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Dana Blackman Brady, married to a former Army Ranger, is partnering with Stefanie. She commented:

"What [the troops] really appreciate over there are the true comforts of home. The stress relief and the escapism involved in these games, we really think could be beneficial.

We’re hoping to get [video games] throughout the year. We don’t want to have [soldiers] wait. We do foresee the issues with Christmas. It’s going to be a crunch for those games."

Although the Defense Department provides no support to such efforts, the women have worked out a plan for getting the games to the troops. Stefanie Doctor Shea described the program:

"We are working on an official website which will allow troops to sign themselves up as recipients or family members can sign them up. They will also be able to tell us what, if any, systems they do have so we can donate appropriate games.

Hopefully the site will be up in the next week or so (we have someone donating their services to build the site). We are willing to work with all branches of the military but the recipients themselves must be on a deployment. Our intention is that the equipment we send over will be passed on to troops in the unit that will replace them."

Donations can be made via the group’s website .
I think this is a great idea and I will definitely be donating. Times are tough enough out there without having absolutely nothing to do but worry about what tomorrow may entail. I may be selling my Wii soon, but I'm thinking about donating it to them instead.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 11-12-07 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure that if I was going to donate to the military it would be to some of those groups who ensure our troops have the proper body armor and equipment to help them survive, and not video games.
Old 11-12-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But you already own the video games to give away...unless you have some body armor laying around your house, you just made a complete non sequitur. Congrats, you failed logic.
Old 11-12-07, 08:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's awesome. Great idea.
Old 11-12-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decadance
But you already own the video games to give away...unless you have some body armor laying around your house, you just made a complete non sequitur. Congrats, you failed logic.
I deserve that I guess for not reading the article close enough. I did indeed fail logic! That is a pretty cool thing then.

After reading their actual website it seems that they do accept cash and gift cards to stores as well. I'm all for donating games and/or whatever other things you don't want anymore, but I think money could be used on more important things for them.

Last edited by flashburn; 11-12-07 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-22-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let me tell you something. No one over here needs body armor. That is a myth. Talk to any soldier, and none will say they need it.

Video games, however...that's what I always have suggested. Why fill a box with 20 bucks worth of peppermint discs? There's waaaaaay too much candy over here, not enough technological comforts.