Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Hitler: A Career (Hitler - eine Karriere)'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 03:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Paul Mavis's DVD review of Hitler: A Career (Hitler - eine Karriere) at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31341 and...

I'm confused. Why is this dvd highly recommended when you can get it on a different dvd with much more content for the same price?
Old 11-11-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great question. It's highly recommended first because it's such a terrific documentary. I'm not going to give it a "Rental" or "Skip" rating because it already appears on anther disc set -- that might send out the wrong message to readers who bypass the actual reviews and only go by the Rating and Star box.

As for the DVD itself, it's highly recommended for anyone who may care to just own that specific film -- especially if they didn't care for the CBS miniseries Hitler: The Rise to Evil (which had its fair share of detractors; I myself stated in the review of that DVD set that the extras, including Hitler: A Career, were stronger in some aspects than the miniseries). I would imagine students of history or educators may very well wish to skip the fictionalized CBS mini.
Old 11-12-07, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
Great question. It's highly recommended first because it's such a terrific documentary. I'm not going to give it a "Rental" or "Skip" rating because it already appears on anther disc set -- that might send out the wrong message to readers who bypass the actual reviews and only go by the Rating and Star box.

As for the DVD itself, it's highly recommended for anyone who may care to just own that specific film -- especially if they didn't care for the CBS miniseries Hitler: The Rise to Evil (which had its fair share of detractors; I myself stated in the review of that DVD set that the extras, including Hitler: A Career, were stronger in some aspects than the miniseries). I would imagine students of history or educators may very well wish to skip the fictionalized CBS mini.
I bought The Rise to Evil. I guess I learned that George W. Bush is Hitler. Thank you , CBS.
Old 11-12-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
I bought The Rise to Evil. I guess I learned that George W. Bush is Hitler. Thank you , CBS.
I assume you're being sarcastic?
Old 11-13-07, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Mavis
I assume you're being sarcastic?
You assume correctly. Don't buy the dvd unless you believe the Reichstag fire was roughly the same event as 9/11. I was wondering why CBS was producing a historical drama about Hitler, and got my answer near the end of the movie, when suddenly it became about comparisons between the President of the United States and Adolph. Like a sucker punch.

Last edited by Ethan VanSciver; 11-13-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly, Ethan. And not at all surprising, considering the network producing the film.