Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Paprika'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Paprika at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31307 and...

Japanese animation has always been visually better than every other animated movie since the beginning of animated films - just because a movie looks good, doesn't make it good. The story has interesting ideas, but it's just not done well. Sometimes, audiences get so obsessed with ideas of the film, that they forget that the ideas were not developed well into the storyline (sort of like The Fountain, which I really like and love the ideas, but I know it's just not laid out well). The pace and storyline is pretty much the same as every other hyped-up Japanese animated movie that is released every year (except for Miyazaki films, excluding Goro Miyazaki). Wacky characters? Check. Distorted reality? Check. Cyborgy/machine-enhanced characters? Check. Blade Runner influence? Check. Excellent animation? Check. Forgettable dialogue/story? Check. Apocolyptic-type climax? Check.

The only memorable thing that stands out from this film is the dream parade song. But just like other Japanese animated films, there's always something like that. Ghost in The Shell 2 was an awful mess of a film, but has an awesome haunting soundtrack that just sticks in your head forever.

But as usual like all japanese films, regardless of the messy storyline, the animation is so good, it becomes just a fair Japanese animated film. Sure of course it's better than Surf's Up or Meet the Robinsons, but in comparison to any other respectable animated film released from any other country, Paprika does not stand out.

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-08-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-10-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Paprika at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31307 and...

Japanese animation has always been visually better than every other animated movie since the beginning of animated films - just because a movie looks good, doesn't make it good. The story has interesting ideas, but it's just not done well. Sometimes, audiences get so obsessed with ideas of the film, that they forget that the ideas were not developed well into the storyline (sort of like The Fountain, which I really like and love the ideas, but I know it's just not laid out well). The pace and storyline is pretty much the same as every other hyped-up Japanese animated movie that is released every year (except for Miyazaki films, excluding Goro Miyazaki). Wacky characters? Check. Distorted reality? Check. Cyborgy/machine-enhanced characters? Check. Blade Runner influence? Check. Excellent animation? Check. Forgettable dialogue/story? Check. Apocolyptic-type climax? Check.

The only memorable thing that stands out from this film is the dream parade song. But just like other Japanese animated films, there's always something like that. Ghost in The Shell 2 was an awful mess of a film, but has an awesome haunting soundtrack that just sticks in your head forever.

But as usual like all japanese films, regardless of the messy storyline, the animation is so good, it becomes just a fair Japanese animated film. Sure of course it's better than Surf's Up or Meet the Robinsons, but in comparison to any other respectable animated film released from any other country, Paprika does not stand out.
Actually, it isn't the animation so much as just the art design. Anime is notorious for having, how to put it, less fluid animation than their US counterparts (less frames), which is expected considering the budget differences. The art design, though, it generally worlds more imaginative.

And I tend to agree, while I enjoyed the concept of the movie and the reliance on movies inside it, it was ultimately disjoint and didn't do as much as it should have or could have done. That said, enjoyment factor is another thing all together and that is what most critics review off of. Afterall, what good is a perfectly mounted story if you think it's boring?

And to note, I overall agree with toddly6666 on this particular film.
Old 11-27-07, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by patherto
This is just a quick note to say that Sony *has* released "Paprika" on Blu-Ray. If you have the equipment, you might want to double-dip on this one.
Why "double-dip" when it has a day/date release as the DVD?
Old 12-05-07, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't particularly disagree with what's been said other than "Sure of course it's better than Surf's Up or Meet the Robinsons, but in comparison to any other respectable animated film released from any other country, Paprika does not stand out." come on...Shrek 3, Bee Movie, Beowulf, TMNT, etc.

It's way more visually appealing and has a story you actually have to put a moment or two of thought into if only to try to figure out what's going on. Other than Ratatouille I can't think of any animated film from this country that approaches it in style and daring and doesn't require you to completely shut off your brain.

It might not be a revolutionary film, especially in the context of Anime, but it was very enjoyable and visually stunning and at least tries for something other than three stooges level humor.

I tried to watch Shrek 3 again and couldn't even get through 15 minutes of that drek. sad