DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Anyone here tried to get fired, a la "Office Space?"

bishop2knight
11-08-07, 12:38 PM
Just curious if anyone here has intentionally slacked off, wasted time, or screwed up in an effort to get fired. If so, how did it work out?

Venusian
11-08-07, 12:40 PM
they did a thing on this on a radio station here a couple of months ago and got some guy to try to get firred from a fast food place in order to win tickets. He succeeded after calling a customer fat, acting like there were rats in the place, knocking over stuff, and finally throwing ice in the fryer

lotsofdvds
11-08-07, 12:48 PM
I did exactly that at a call center I worked at.

They'd instituted two new policies that I thought were ridiculous. The first was that we couldn't stand up at our desks. So I started standing whenever I could. When the team lead came over to me to tell me to sit down, I simply walked away from him.

The second came on a memo saying that we weren't allowed to put anything on our cubicle walls. So I made 100 copies of the memo and put a copy up on my cubicle wall. Every day they'd take it down, and every day I'd put a new one up.

Then I would take great delight in deviating from the script. We would get points off our call grade if we said anything except "thank you" at the end of the call. So I'd say "thanks" or "have a great day" or "have a good one" or any number of perfectly polite things, just to anger the graders.

Try as I might though, they just wouldn't fire me. So I took all my vacation time, then I called out sick and used all my sick time, and then I just never bothered to go back.

John Galt
11-08-07, 01:24 PM
I did that at CC back when they had their first round of layoffs. After seeing 13 of my close friends all get fired for being some of the top salesmen in the company and seeing them move from a customer service operating strategy to an efficiency strategy, I felt it was time to part ways. We also got a new manager who came up with a bunch of ridiculous policies that no one agreed with so I would basically rebel as much as I could. They finally fired me because a) I didn't offer a $6.95 service contract on a $4.95 remote and b) After a customer walked through the exit doors and sounded the alarm I just scanned the whole bag over the deactivator and didn't verify the receipt even though I had personally witnessed him go from the checkout to the doors 20 feet away without adding anything else to the bag. It worked out great since the paperwork they gave me just listed low sales numbers due to lack of customers in the store and the ESC felt that this was no fault of my own. I ended up getting 26 weeks unemployment and the Store Manager ended up getting fired because of it :lol:

fiver
11-08-07, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't say I tried any real obvious things like some of the other responses below. However, when I was working for a start-up as their senior network administrator, essentially managing anything and everything IT, and the CIO had me doing most of the application programming - well, let's just say, I was extremely unhappy and the company had no money to actually grow their IT infrastructure so I was being wasted completely. I used the situation though to come in late and leave early most of the time, stop completing projects on time (their never actually was a deadline for anything and everything was top priority), and lose any real decorum when speaking to the CIO or the owners (unfortunately the owners were Chaldean so they just thought I was perfectly normal).

Never could get fired though so I went to another job making $10k/year more

Michael

wabio
11-08-07, 01:34 PM
A friend's co-workers did just this. They both worked in the student loan refi industry (which has taken a huge hit). They both knew layoffs were coming. He mentioned how his buddy was just "hamming" it at work (just enough not to get fired, but would get laid-off when the time came). It worked. He was let go on the first round. Here's the kicker. The severance package was 2 weeks pay for every year worked. He was there 11 years, and was a computer engineer. :eek: Talk about Pina Colada's on the beach!!!

Bandoman
11-08-07, 01:35 PM
:lol: @ lotsofdvds. :up:

Cory02
11-08-07, 01:48 PM
I haven't but I've fired a couple people who were apparently trying to get fired.

wendersfan
11-08-07, 02:08 PM
The irony of someone named "John Galt" laughing about how he received 26 weeks of unemployment benefits...

John Galt
11-08-07, 02:12 PM
lol, how true, but I was laughing at getting my manager fired for firing me.

cdollaz
11-08-07, 02:12 PM
Body Suit Man tried.

Jazzbutcher
11-08-07, 03:52 PM
The irony of someone named "John Galt" laughing about how he received 26 weeks of unemployment benefits...
beat me to it. :lol:
"I swear--by my life and my love of it--that I will never live for the
sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

bishop2knight
11-08-07, 05:19 PM
Love the posts. I'm not at the point of trying to get fired, but it sure is nice to dream.