Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ugh.. Why do I buy crappy games?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh.. Why do I buy crappy games?

Just got my PS3 today and was deciding on what games to get. My sister is getting me Madden 08 which should be here in a few days. I went to Best Buy and figured I would get Virtua Tennis 3. I've played it a ton on the PSP so figured the PS3 version would be great.

Well, it's exactly the same as the PSP version. I guess that's not really a bad thing but I feel like I wasted my money. I knew I should've picked up Oblvion. WOuld've been $10 less and a brand new playing experience
Old 11-07-07, 08:14 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
The only purchase that I've regretted lately is Carnival Games for the Wii.

Old 11-07-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what kind of games you like, but I'd check out...

Call of Duty 4
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet and Clank Future
Oblivion
Guitar Hero 3
Heavenly Sword

and this month...
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed
Old 11-07-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably because you hope that they will be much better, when in reality, they arent.
Old 11-07-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, the Virtua Tennis series hasn't evolved since Sega Tennis 2k2 on the DC. VT3 looks quite pretty, but is pretty much the same otherwise. Topspin has kicked it's ass since the original xbox version.
Old 11-07-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Last bad game I got was Ridge Raaaaacer 6.

I was desperate.
Old 11-07-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty selective with my game buying. I can't remember the last time I bought a bad game. Unless you count when I splurged on a whole bunch of $5 PS2 games earlier this year, a few of those were not good.
Old 11-08-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts
Folklore was pretty bad I thought.
Old 11-08-07, 01:08 AM
Banned

It could be worse. You could be lamenting about Hour of Victory.
Old 11-08-07, 04:46 AM
Banned

I owned a copy of E.T. on the Atari 2600.
Old 11-08-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good/Decent PS3 Games:
Resistance: FOM (Must Buy)
Motorstorm
Ratchet and Clank
Eye of Judgment
Oblivion
Old 11-08-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Yeah, the Virtua Tennis series hasn't evolved since Sega Tennis 2k2 on the DC. VT3 looks quite pretty, but is pretty much the same otherwise. Topspin has kicked it's ass since the original xbox version.

Yeah.. If you haven't played it before, it's pretty good, but it is basically the same game as previous versions.

Also, as I was playing it I realized it is basically a fancy pong..
Old 11-08-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah.. I consider myself pretty solid at the game (versions prior to VT3). I've dabbled at VT3 just a little at the arcade. Anyway, some dude who thought he was hot shit (and yeah he was actually really good) at an arcade in Akihabara was ruling the cabinet. So I thought I'd see if I could toast him. The resulting 3 credits, and 3 losses, were pretty much borderline infinite rallies, with the only real difference being that he could get off great serves with the arcade stick while I was struggling.

One of the improvements of Top Spin over VT is the ability to use trick shots to break out of this kind of monotony, just like in real tennis, when a player will try and break up a rally by going for a more difficult shot.
Old 11-08-07, 08:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why as soon as I bought into the "next gen" of console games I restarted my gamefly subscription. It's already paid for itself in the sense of games I might have blown money on but didn't feel the need to purchase after having actually played them
Old 11-08-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I blew $50 on Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games yesterday.

Then again, it might be a really fun game with other people to play with, like Mario Party 8 (which I also thought was a giant waste until my brother and nephew came to play it).
Old 11-08-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Me too. I also have the Ninja Turtle game collecting dust. And I have a bunch of VC games that were pretty fun when I was a kid, but not anymore.
Old 11-08-07, 08:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Folklore was pretty bad I thought.
I have this game from Gamefly. I actually am enjoying it. It isn't a stellar game, but the gameplay and aspects of the different attacks you can pick up make it interesting.
Old 11-08-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74

I just picked it up last week. I enjoy it. More so because it is something I can play with my 3 year old daughter. That, and I only paid $25 which helps.
Old 11-08-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
I owned a copy of E.T. on the Atari 2600.
I still have mine.
Old 11-08-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Honestly, I don't have any crappy games because for the most part I don't blind buy and I know what I like.

I may have games that others claim to be crappy but as long as they entertain me that's all that matters. For instance, both Conan and Jericho are getting crap reviews both here and on the game sites but I'm having a blast with both games. Meanwhile, I haven't touched the much loved/worshipped Metroid 3 for a couple months now due to boredom and a general loss of interest. Well that and Resident Evil 4 taking all my Wii time.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-08-07 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Me too. I also have the Ninja Turtle game collecting dust. And I have a bunch of VC games that were pretty fun when I was a kid, but not anymore.

that's the main reason why i don't VC games...hell, i thought i'm gonna enjoy Taito Legends (PS2, got it for $11-ish), but it turns out, i got only 15 minutes of "fun" out of it... never wanna pop that game in again. I was like "those games were fun back in the old days, but they are so crappy now a day."

Same thing with those old cartoons like Super Mario Bros and Zelda, i got them on dvds, but gave up watching them... The PQ is so bad, i wanna puke. So does the music and dialogs. I guess certain things are classic at the time, only worthy for memories.

i regret getting Taito Legends (PS2), Raiden III (PS2) and Wild Arm 3 (PS2)...
Old 11-09-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I may have games that others claim to be crappy but as long as they entertain me that's all that matters. For instance, both Conan and Jericho are getting crap reviews both here and on the game sites but I'm having a blast with both games. Meanwhile, I haven't touched the much loved/worshipped Metroid 3 for a couple months now due to boredom and a general loss of interest. Well that and Resident Evil 4 taking all my Wii time.
There are plenty of games I liked over the years that get less than stellar reviews or buzz. For instance now, I'm still playing the Justice League Heroes game that came out a year or two ago and having an absolute blast. Conversely, Like you I just could not get into the Metroid games as they bored me to tears. And I would never play Oblivion because I know that isn't my speed even though it was the game of the year when it was released.

I have bought games that I thought were crappy though, but that hasn't happened in a long time. The last time I bought a totally unsatisfying game that I regretted was maybe PS1/N64 era.
Old 11-09-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
that's the main reason why i don't VC games...hell, i thought i'm gonna enjoy Taito Legends (PS2, got it for $11-ish), but it turns out, i got only 15 minutes of "fun" out of it... never wanna pop that game in again. I was like "those games were fun back in the old days, but they are so crappy now a day."

Same thing with those old cartoons like Super Mario Bros and Zelda, i got them on dvds, but gave up watching them... The PQ is so bad, i wanna puke. So does the music and dialogs. I guess certain things are classic at the time, only worthy for memories.

i regret getting Taito Legends (PS2), Raiden III (PS2) and Wild Arm 3 (PS2)...
I like to READ about retrogames more than I want to play them. Seriously, 95% of the old games aren't worth playing today. Very few could stand up now. But we remember them better than they actually were.
Old 11-09-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
I like to READ about retrogames more than I want to play them. Seriously, 95% of the old games aren't worth playing today. Very few could stand up now. But we remember them better than they actually were.
Your opinion. I still regularly play Dragon Warrior IV, Final Fantasy 4/6, Mario 1-3, the NES Zeldas...and definitely PS1 RPGs. I tend to find PS1 era 3D games held up much worse than most 8 or 16-bit fare.

My last real stinker was Lunar: Dragon Song for the DS. My god, that was terrible. Talk about ruining a good franchise.
Old 11-09-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I still can go back and play FF3, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana and love the hell out of them. Also my girlfriend and I regularly play Super Mario World. Some games hold up, some don't.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.