Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV Show Blind Buys --Do U Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
TV Show Blind Buys --Do U Do It?

A friend of mine bought both season sets of Dead Like Me, even though he has never seen an episode of the show --just based on it being recommended to him.

I buy sets that are of shows that I love [like Freaks and Geeks, Firefly] and know very well [like Buffy, Seinfeld, Simpsons].

I want to know that I'm buying something that I'll watch over (and over) again.

Have you blind bought any TV seasons?
Old 11-07-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I blind bought Entourage, Deadwood and Rome and was happy with all of them. I wouldn't recommend blind buying though.
Old 11-07-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've blind bought many of TV Shows. Some I ended up loving like "Dead Like Me", "Lost" etc, and some that I ended up selling like "Joan of Arcadia", "Miracles" etc
Old 11-07-07, 06:55 PM

firefly, farscape, and freaks and geeks were all blind bought and each in its own awesome and not regreted. ( some movies I cannot say the same for, but thats what you get when you blind buy. you win some you lose some)

not on my dollar but i had a relative bring Spaced the complete series over from the UK, and that was fantastic.
Old 11-07-07, 07:03 PM

Blind buying on TV sets isn't a good idea. Typically too much out of pocket expense in the event you're disappointed. The costs of movie DVDs are usually on par with a night out seeing the movie at the theater for the first time, so it's more reasonable to do blind buys with them.
Old 11-07-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I blind bought the first two seasons of Millennium and it turned out to be the two best seasons of televison I've ever seen.
Old 11-07-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have been lucky: I blind bought "Arrested Development", "The Office" (UK -- US purchase was based only on the pilot which is very bad), "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", "Extras", and "Spaced", all of which rank on my favorite shows of all time.

I also blind-bought "Lost", "24" and "Scrubs". The former two sold for enough to be worth it ("24" was from Black Friday), and the latter was cheap. I haven't watched much of "My Name is Earl" but for some reason I bought both seasons.
Old 11-07-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I blind buy a lot of TV, I find that it tends to be less of a risk than movies, but only because I bargain shop. 15$ for a season of TV, if I like it, that's great, if not I can usually get that much back for it. It is all based on reviews though, I have very rarely completely blindly bought something.

The only really risky (financially) blind buys I have made were for Rome and Buffy the Complete Collection. Rome ended up being worth it and I haven't had a chance to watch Buffy yet, but am sure I could recoup my cost on it.
Old 11-07-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blind bought:

Alias
Gilmore Girls
The O.C.
One Tree Hill
Veronica Mars

and I loved almost every minute of all of them! (Guess I am just lucky...)

Actually, I blind bought Angel too, but I was already a fan and viewer of Buffy, so I didn't really think that was a risk at all....
Old 11-07-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
The only series I've ever blind bought was Alias. Even though I bought it out of order, since I bought Season 2 first

My girlfriend loves TV on DVD, so she usually lets me know what is good or bad. It is actually a good thing so that I don't dump money (with TV sets being more expensive than movies) on a potentially bad show/series.
Old 11-07-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one of my guiltiest pleasures is discovering great new shows thru my blind buys of TV Season Sets.
Old 11-07-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I blind bought 24: Season 1 back in the day. Absolutely no regrets!
Old 11-07-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty much blind buy on all season 1 of the HBO show

Sopranos
Six Feet Under
Carnivale
Oz

kept most of them and the ones I sold i pretty much made 90% of my money back so was a good deal
Old 11-07-07, 08:57 PM

Carnivale and The Wire were both Blind Buys for me and now they are two of my favorite shows...Twin Peaks was another one which is pretty good and worth the price I paid but it hasn't hooked me as much as Carnivale or The Wire did.
Old 11-07-07, 09:10 PM
Cool New Member

We blind bought gilmore girls and 24 and are now addicted to bothy of them
Old 11-07-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't watch much "live" tv, so many of my TV on DVD purchases have been blind. I certainly do research and read reviews, and the price affects the decision, but I'm not averse to blind buying series. Many I've loved, some I've liked, some I've gotten cheap enough that i could resell for enough to have no risk. The only real blind buy I didn't enjoy much at all was Spawn the Animated Series box set (from CH). Just couldn't get into it, but I sold it on AMazon and either broke even or made a little bit.
Old 11-07-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I blind buy sets ALL the time. I am never home at "normal" hours so I randomly buy shows I have a feeling I will like. I rarely ever regret my purchases.
Old 11-07-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only show I've ever bought blind was Buffy season 1 because it was on sale for about $15. Needless to day, I loved it and became a diehard fan.
Old 11-07-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blind buy ALL HBO shows and have yet to regret a purchase. It just has to be on HBO and I'll purchase it. I love all of their programming.
Old 11-07-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blind buy a lot of TV on DVD and enjoy most of them! I realize that these sets are much more expensive so I try to set limits like finding it for under $20 or things along those lines
Old 11-07-07, 10:19 PM

never blind-bought a tv show yet. i'll usually at least rent the first disc via blockbuster online/netflix and watch the first few eps to see if i like it. if i do, then i'll consider buying the whole season. otherwise, all my tv-on-dvd purchases have been shows i've watched on tv and want to have so i can watch again whenever i feel like it.
Old 11-07-07, 10:29 PM

I blind bought Sopranos, Always Sunny in Philly, Arrested Development, Entourage, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Wire, Rome, and The Office (US).

Love all of them. I sold both season of Rome for the two Transformers steelbooks, and I'm considering selling Always Sunny in Philly soon. I just don't think I'd watch it over and over.
Old 11-07-07, 10:48 PM

I think more then half of the shows I bought were blind. The Shield, 24, Arrested Development, Lost, Heroes, Deadwood, Mr Show, Prison Break, and Sports Night I all bought blind and love all (not Heroes so much) so its worked out. I wouldnt have bought most of them if I had watched them on TV. 24 doesnt really have rewatch value for me. But blind buying is a great way to get into a show so I'm all for it.
Old 11-07-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I used to all the time. Deadwood, 24, Lost, Seinfeld (believe it or not), The Shield, Entourage, I would say 75% of my TV on DVD I do not watch on it's broadcast date. I always wait for the DVD. Now if its a case of buying season 2 or beyond, I know I will dig it since I already like the series.

But lately I've been burned on a couple shows. Invasion, Jericho, and Heroes to name a couple. Now I will netflix them before I buy.
Old 11-07-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I do. Shows that I regretted buying:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Mr. Show

Both were very... meh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.