Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Best decade for BATMAN?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics
View Poll Results: Best decade for Batman?
40's (including 1939 debut)
3.03%
50's
3.03%
60's
3.03%
70's
33.33%
80's
42.42%
90's
15.15%
2000-Current
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Best decade for BATMAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best decade for BATMAN?

What would you consider to be the best decade for Batman? You can base your decision on a wide variety of factors, from the comics, tv shows, movies, toys, etc.

I'll let you decide for yourself if you want to define "BEST" as your own personal favorite decade, or overall quality of Batman related product being issued to the public.

Old 11-06-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you have to go with the 80's. No real competition there.

You have Dark Knight Returns and Year One. Death in the Family. The Killing Joke. Son of the Demon. Tons of other good to great Batman Stories.

Plus, Jim Aparro being the main artist guy.

You might can argue late 70 for Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil alone and what they did for the character, but 80's takes it over all.
Old 11-06-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Grrr I really cant pick, because I like something from nearly each decade.

60's for the great Batgirl backups
70's for continued great Batgirl backups, Ra's, Man-Bat, Huntress, etc
80's for everything Boredsilly mentioned
90's for Knightfall, Don't trust anyone Bats
00's for More DTA Bats, Hush, Omac, and current Dini run.

Last edited by stingermck; 11-06-07 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-06-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have honestly never read enough of the Batman comics to make my decision on those alone... so by default, I award my vote to the 1990s, thanks to Batman: The Animated Series. Of course, the 90's also had the Batman & Robin movie, so that kind of brings it down a notch.
Old 11-06-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
90's. Dark Knight Returns is overrated and i love the Loeb/Sale stuff like Long Halloween.
Old 11-06-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I think you have to go with the 80's. No real competition there.

You have Dark Knight Returns and Year One. Death in the Family. The Killing Joke. Son of the Demon. Tons of other good to great Batman Stories.

Plus, Jim Aparro being the main artist guy.

You might can argue late 70 for Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil alone and what they did for the character, but 80's takes it over all.
I'm going 80's too for these reasons.
Old 11-06-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I have honestly never read enough of the Batman comics to make my decision on those alone... so by default, I award my vote to the 1990s, thanks to Batman: The Animated Series. Of course, the 90's also had the Batman & Robin movie, so that kind of brings it down a notch.
When you put it that way, the 90's becomes a whole lot more viable option. BTAS along with Batman Returns and Forever, Knightfall, and No Man's Land (which wasn't great, but still pretty good). BTAS is a juggernaut in the Batman lexicon, and every bit as important (at least to me) as DKR, the first movie, or Adam West TV show.

I still think the BTAS version is the best interpretation of Batman and his universe.
Old 11-06-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

boredsilly: Indeed! Variations of Batman in all forms of media are to be considered when making your choice for this poll!
Old 11-06-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even considering BTAS, I will still stick with the 80's. Because it did have the first Batman movie (which really captured the imagination of an 9 year old me) and Year One. Two things that have direct ties to BTAS and Batman Begins, two things I love.
Old 11-06-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Would you say that Superman's best decade would also likely be in the 1980's?
Old 11-06-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Superman, I can't really comment on since I've never really followed him in the books. So it could easily be:

-the 70's for the movies
-the 90's for STAS (which was also awesome) and Lois and Clark + the actual comics Kingdom Come and Superman For All Seasons
-the 2000's just because Ed McGuinness did a lot of art for Superman in the last 6 years and the awesome elseworldsy type Superman stuff that has come out in the last few years like Red Son and Secret Identiy. Oh, and the in-fucking-credible novel It's Superman which just knocked my socks off.

Probably the 2000's just because I'm ignorant to Superman in general.
Old 11-06-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
90's. Dark Knight Returns is overrated and i love the Loeb/Sale stuff like Long Halloween.
Mostly agreed (plus BTAS thrown in there as well). I like Dark Knight Returns but I like Long Halloween (and its followups) more.
Old 11-06-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neil Adams and Frank Miller batmans are the freakin' best!!
Old 11-06-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gotta go with 80's...Killing Joke and Year One were just awesome.
Old 11-07-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 60s were a great era for Batman, as it brought the character into mainstream pop culture.

The 80s were less about the importance of Batman comics than the impact that these comics had.

The 90s were a bad time honestly. That's when Batman's popularity peaked and then quickly declined. It was really too hit and miss for me. BTAS was a great series but the Batman comics themselves were unreadable.

I have to go with the 70s though for the best era. That's when Batman was in his most pure form, a detective.
Old 11-07-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Knightfall + Batman Returns = 90's getting my vote.
Old 11-07-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't say best, but my favorite was the 1990s. I especially liked some of the key artists at the time like Kelley Jones, Norm Breyfogle, and Graham Nolan.
Old 11-11-07, 08:26 AM
Banned

80s was the best decade for comics period in my opinion.

I honestly cannot stand pre-Crisis (1986) DC. For me, Batman: Year One and John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries are the starting points for my DC collection.
Old 12-13-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Actually, it was the early 70's. I have every book that O'Neil/Adams did together in both Detective and Batman.

Anyone know when the Miller/Adams Batman book is coming out?
Old 12-16-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The seventies, overall, had a lot of great Batman to offer. The early seventies had the O'Neal/Adams run, the later seventies had the great Englehart/Rogers run on Detective. He was a detective, he was driven, but he wasn't a jerk or borderline psycho.
Old 12-16-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't tolerate the 80s, 90s, or anything written recently. Save for a few stories such as Year One, DKR, etc etc, too much of Batman's world has been filled with unbelievably bad writing. The suspension of belief required of readers to think that super-criminals that have killed hundreds haven't been executed (regardless of their mental condition) is simply too improbable.
Old 12-17-07, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
The suspension of belief required of readers to think that super-criminals that have killed hundreds haven't been executed (regardless of their mental condition) is simply too improbable.

Yeah sure a person like Joker would have been executed long ago, but that particular element isn't any more unbelievable than anything else in comics... like the completely goofy ass stories from the 50s and 60s (I remember one story where Batman was talking to a flower with a human head ) or the completely unbelievable backstories of most supervillains (Mister Freeze can only survive in subzero temperatures, Ras Al Ghul is over half a century old, the latter Clayfaces actually being made of clay, etc). If you truly want realism, you shouldn't be reading comics in the first place.
Old 12-17-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Yeah sure a person like Joker would have been executed long ago, but that particular element isn't any more unbelievable than anything else in comics... like the completely goofy ass stories from the 50s and 60s (I remember one story where Batman was talking to a flower with a human head ) or the completely unbelievable backstories of most supervillains (Mister Freeze can only survive in subzero temperatures, Ras Al Ghul is over half a century old, the latter Clayfaces actually being made of clay, etc). If you truly want realism, you shouldn't be reading comics in the first place.
Sorry, I only know Batman from the animated series and movies. I haven't really read comics. What's the big deal that Ras Al Ghul is over 50 years old? Was century the wrong word?
Old 12-17-07, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Sorry, I only know Batman from the animated series and movies. I haven't really read comics. What's the big deal that Ras Al Ghul is over 50 years old? Was century the wrong word?
Doh!

I had a brain fart and got my units of time mixed up. I meant that Ras Al Ghul is over half a millennium old. He is 500+ years old. In the comic books, there is this thing called the Lazarus Pit which Ras uses. It completely heals any injury, rejuvenates him keeping him somewhat youthful, and can even bring him back from the dead.
Old 12-17-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
Ah, the old "suspension of disbelief is required for all fiction". It's not that I have trouble with the impossible, it's merely the improbable. It's like reading a Batman comic, then he suddenly flies off, gains the powers of Superman, and then the next issue, everything is back to normal and there is absolutely no explanation given. That's how I feel when I read Batman comics. It's bad writing. It's grown repetitive, inconsistent, dull, and without tension. Joker shows up, kills someone, Batman shows up and foils him, and then Joker goes back to Arkham. Batman's universe has been a little more fluid than other heroes (Superman especially) where the status quo never changes, but modern storytelling really, really bites. You can't care about characters that die when you know they're going to come back, and changes don't last.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.