Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Tru Calling" : Most Underrated TV Show on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-07, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tru Calling" : Most Underrated TV Show on DVD

'Tru Calling' is one of my favorite shows. As a Whedon fan, I find this far superior to Buffy simply because the characters have been sketched with far more depth. Of course, Tru Calling is not a Whedon creation, but lead actress Eliza Dushku is refreshing different here, and every episode has replay value.

I have been playing these episodes every chance I get over the last year. I really think that this is a classic television show thats gotten too little attention. The action, the writing, the casting - everything was excellent. Too bad it got cancelled.

Bottom line - the hallmark of a great DVD set is how often you want to revisit it. That said, Tru Calling gets the No. 1 spot over all my TV on DVD box sets (and I have over 75 of those)

If you havent discovered this amazing show, Id really recommend investing in the box set. It will pay you back very very richly.
Old 11-06-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched this show till it was cancelled. Don't blame me.
Old 11-06-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I both loved the show and were pissed that it was cancelled. Haven't gotten around to buying it on DVD, but Sci-Fi had a Tru Calling marathon about a month ago and I found myself re-watching a lot of them.
Old 11-06-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved this as well. Was really looking forward to more episodes
Old 11-06-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Watched this show when it was on. Mostly, because of Eliza and AJ Cook. Oh, and Zach Galiafinaniakis is a funny dude. Actually ended up enjoying the show, and watched it each week. Still haven't picked up any of the dvd's though.
Old 11-06-07, 03:51 PM

i loved this show as well. i've always loved Eliza and Galifinakis is one of my fav comedians. I really wanted to see where they were going after the season one finale, and those 6(?) season 2 epsidoes just didn't cut it
Old 11-07-07, 06:07 AM

I loved it. Was pissed when it was cancelled as well. The second season had even improved in the ratings yet they still let it go. Had they given this more of a chance it could have been a solid performer in the ratings. They should have had it on after The O.C., which did great in the ratings for awhile before eventually dipping below even what Tru Calling pulled in. I wasn't an O.C. fan at all, but they were morons for not giving Tru Calling the advantage of it as a lead-in. It's like them having Bones on before House, when House could have seriously helped out Bones in the ratings. Who is running Fox anyway? They aren't doing a very good job.

Anyway, WB should have picked up the show (or what is now CW). It would have fit in well on that channel. Or someone should have anyway. Hell, even CBS. It would have went well with Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights. It had such potential. Of course, someone also should have picked up Veronica Mars. I will never get over it!
Old 11-07-07, 09:01 AM

Yes, whats up with all these female-lead shows that get cancelled too early?

I really cannot believe that someone would cancel "Veronica Mars" but let "Ghost Whisperer" stay on the air. What sense does that make..... though watching Kristen Bell as an FBI agent in that Season 4 Promo was unbelievable to say the least (maybe its a good thing they cancelled VM before it got horrible?)

Tru Calling is definitely MUCH better than Ghost Whisperer though. The season finale of Tru Calling Season One alone is worth the investment.

Oh any by the way, you can get the ENTIRE Tru Calling DVD Set (Season 1&2) for dirt cheap on amazon.co.uk right now - I ordered 2 sets already
Old 11-07-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was a great show....but better than Buffy?? BLASPHEMY!
Old 11-08-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Once Jason Priestly came on, the show got real interesting, and I thought it was going in the right direction, instead of being a formulaic type show which the first 10 episodes were like. I don't understand why FOX didn't atleast give it a full second season, cause sometimes you need time to build an audience.

Just remember Cheers finished dead last in the ratings in its first season in 82-83, and if Fox were running the show, Sam & Diane would have been one season and done.
Old 11-08-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
Oh any by the way, you can get the ENTIRE Tru Calling DVD Set (Season 1&2) for dirt cheap on amazon.co.uk right now - I ordered 2 sets already
That's only if you want Region 2 PAL.
Old 11-08-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I watched this show till it was cancelled. Don't blame me.
Same here. And I agree with coli. Once Brandon came on the show, it seemed to pick up.
Old 11-20-07, 03:37 AM

I think amazon.co.uk is a great place to shop if you have a Region Free DVD Player (which is the only way to go if you're interested international cinema and multiregion DVDs). "Tru Calling" is about 9 pounds on the site right now (yes, thats about $18 for S1 & S2 together) - what a deal!
Old 11-20-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrokebackMike
I loved it. Was pissed when it was cancelled as well. The second season had even improved in the ratings yet they still let it go. Had they given this more of a chance it could have been a solid performer in the ratings. They should have had it on after The O.C., which did great in the ratings for awhile before eventually dipping below even what Tru Calling pulled in. I wasn't an O.C. fan at all, but they were morons for not giving Tru Calling the advantage of it as a lead-in. It's like them having Bones on before House, when House could have seriously helped out Bones in the ratings. Who is running Fox anyway? They aren't doing a very good job.

Anyway, WB should have picked up the show (or what is now CW). It would have fit in well on that channel. Or someone should have anyway. Hell, even CBS. It would have went well with Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights. It had such potential. Of course, someone also should have picked up Veronica Mars. I will never get over it!
The Second Season improved in the ratings? Don't see how that's possible as they didn't even give it a half season run, only ended up airing it about midway through the year, did very little to even let people know they were, and then didn't even show all the episodes - so I don't know where you're getting that from. Maybe you mean the second half of Season One - which did pick up in ratings from the first half.

Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome show, and I agree it deserved to be on the air far more than half the things that were, or stayed, on the air. But this is FOX were talking about, canceler of just about anything worth watching. (The list is huge) In fact, I was actually surprised, but quite happily relived when Bones was renewed for a Second Season - because that's a great show too. Thought for sure they'd kill it off - but it must have done better in the ratings, or it would certainly be gone.

It's possible that Tru Calling may have done better on the WB, at least they would have given it more of a chance than Fox did. But it was still a FOX produced show, and at the time the WB was starting to move away from using other studios productions, and instead, were using their own. In fact, I was always surprised that they didn't keep The O.C. for themselves, instead of giving it to FOX.

Veronica Mars, in a way, suffered a similar fate. I still maintain the reason it never got the true ratings it deserved was because it aired on UPN. Had it aired on almost any other network, it would have probably gotten much better ratings - but during it's first two seasons, was one of only two shows on UPN that were even worth watching. And even then, most people, myself included, didn't even end up watching those at the time for that very reason.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-20-07 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox sucks!!! They can all the good shows.