Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Yor: The Hunter from the Future?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yor: The Hunter from the Future?

This movie is jonesing for a DVD release. I just saw it for the first time after hearing about how "great" it was from CHUD.com, and if the rumors of Sony licensing titles out to third party companies are true, this needs a release from Anchor Bay or Synapse or even Blue Underground.

If you haven't seen it, Yor is probably one of the most brilliant, unintentionally awful movies ever made, a co-production between period shlockmeister nations Italy and Turkey (and France!?) that plays like the worst possible rip-off of Star Wars and Conan the Barbarian. That's all I can say...this movie is just flat out ridiculous. Hot women in loincloths, the oiled-up, platinum-blonde, hilariously bad acting and running of Reb Brown, Stormtrooper robot henchmen things that look like Darth Vader prototypes, and some of the funniest animatronics ever seen.

I must present the greatest film sequence of all time in this thread, just to convince you that Yor must grace DVD once and for all.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jrYxLSSSRd0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jrYxLSSSRd0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-04-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having the most epic poster ever should alone ensure it a DVD release.

The text alone rivals Beowulf or Gilgamesh.
Old 11-04-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's on DVD. It's available from Germany.

Seriously, get a region free player.

I can't tell you what language it's in or what subtitles it has...I never bought it, but it is out there.
Old 11-04-07, 11:55 AM
MSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That poster was always one of my all time favs.
Old 11-04-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MSD
That poster was always one of my all time favs.
It looks like it should be on an arcade game.
Old 11-04-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this in the theater! It rocked my 10-year old world!
Old 11-04-07, 04:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Glad to see some love for Yor! I haven't seen this since my childhood -- it probably aired on HBO after The Beastmaster or Super Fuzz

Poster kicks ass, btw.
Old 11-04-07, 11:11 PM

It's useless, unless the DVD includes...

the nearly five hour version as an extra! This was made for Italian TV as a mini-series and then cut down to make a feature film.
Old 11-04-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Linn1
the nearly five hour version as an extra! This was made for Italian TV as a mini-series and then cut down to make a feature film.
That's hilarious. I love it when these obscure, inconsequential films have much more interesting making-of stories.
Old 11-05-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So wait, there's a version of this more than triple the length it already is!? That's five hours of Yor pleasure!
Old 11-05-07, 02:06 PM
Cool New Member

I would buy it in heartbeat if this got a legit release.
The DVD in post 3 is a German language only (it's out of print as well) version.
Yep, bring on the complete Yor TV version please and Treasure Island in Outer Space as well, I have a two hour cut of that which is great and while at it, also release Margheriti's Killer Fish please, I have very fond memories of that too (saw it at the cinema as a kid, now have a Dutch full-frame VHS tape of it).
Old 11-05-07, 02:52 PM

Instead of the 56th DVD release of Halloween, The Evil Dead, The Wicker Man, Hellraiser and Beastmaster, it would be nice if Anchor Bay could spend some time putting a release for YOR together.

I always hoped Blue Underground could put this out. After Shock Waves, Fire & Ice and Circle Of Iron, I had high hopes...
Old 11-05-07, 05:01 PM

Lol...

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
So wait, there's a version of this more than triple the length it already is!? That's five hours of Yor pleasure!
Actually, looking back through it, that's with commercials. A review can be found here:

http://www.cinema-nocturna.com/yortv_review.htm

And to be clear, YOR was around quite a while before the film. The original name for the character was HENGA and it was comic book series. Take a look at the bottom of this page and read up on the wonder of YOR!!!

http://david-z.blogspot.com/search?q=yor
Old 11-05-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome.