Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Hulk...WHY???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Hulk...WHY???

What is it with Marvel canceling long running titles only to start them over again at issue 1? They are canceling the Incredible Hulk and bringing Hulk #1 out. And apparently the Hulk is going to be...RED???

HULK #1 - Creators: Written by Jeph Loeb / Pencils & Cover by Ed McGuinness Variant Cover by Olivier Coipel. Description: Superstars JEPH LOEB and ED MCGUINNESS will change the way you see THE HULK! In this startling origin epic, the breathtaking events that ended World War Hulk rocket into this brand-new Hulk title. When one of The Hulk's oldest cast members is murdered, everyone turns to the team of IRON MAN, SHE-HULK and LEONARD SAMSON to solve the grizzly case. All the evidence points to the Hulk as the killer-but {CLASSIFIED}! Join us for a brand--new story and a brand-new team who loves the Hulk as much as you do! 32 pages. Publisher Rating: Rated A.
Old 11-03-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 620 Likes on 358 Posts
Holy crap, that idea sucks! We know the color change won't last because there's a movie coming out - plus radical changes are always temporary. As for starting over with issue 1, that's just a marketing ploy for bucks - Marvel thinks all the fanboys will have to have it if it's Issue Number One. Blah.
Old 11-03-07, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're continuing The Incredible Hulk under a new name. It's in the solicits as "The Incredible Xxxx."

Concerning this new series and the name change, there are two rumors flying around:
Spoiler:
1. The Red Hulk is not Banner. 2. The Incredible Hulk will become The Incredible Hercules.
Old 11-03-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they definitely going to cancel the ongoing series for this? Or just keep two books running. If it's definitely a reboot, I might give the first issue a shot, but chances are I'll probably drop Hulk from my monthly pull list.

There's not much left on my pull list actually.
Old 11-03-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by John_Shil
They're continuing The Incredible Hulk under a new name. It's in the solicits as "The Incredible Xxxx."

Concerning this new series and the name change, there are two rumors flying around:
Spoiler:
1. The Red Hulk is not Banner. 2. The Incredible Hulk will become The Incredible Hercules.
God i hope it's #1.
Old 11-03-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh ok, I just read the Marvel solicitations for January and see the INCREDIBLE XXXX #113 (like john shil mentioned). Hmmmmpphh....what a bunch of crap.
Old 11-03-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
A #1 issue?!!?!!! Holy crap!!! I better buy a bajillion copies! Mo' money mo' money mo' money....
Old 11-03-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
See, there are a few reasons why I haven't been a comic book buyer in over a decade.

This reminds me of many of them....
Old 11-03-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I always thought it would be just as cool to hit #500 or eve #1000 then #1.
Old 11-03-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I always thought it would be just as cool to hit #500 or eve #1000 then #1.

Exactly. At least I gotta give DC Comics some nods for not restarting Action Comics a few dozen times over. At least we can look forward to a issue 1000 there.

What number would the Incredible Hulk be on if the original series had never stopped?

I appreciated that they resumed numbering on some of their main titles, such as Fantastic Four and Amazing Spider-Man. That told me they even realized the reboot idea sucked...then they go and do this. It just makes me shake my head in shame.
Old 11-03-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What number would the Incredible Hulk be on if the original series had never stopped?
Hulk started in 1962 with his own title that went 6 issues. In 1964 he began appearing in Tales to Astonish when became Incredible Hulk with issue 102. That run lasted until issue 474, 1999. Hulk #1 then starts, which becomes Incredible Hulk volume 2 with issue 12 - and is now on issue 110. So, the easy answer would be: 584 issues.
Old 11-03-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Hulk started in 1962 with his own title that went 6 issues. In 1964 he began appearing in Tales to Astonish when became Incredible Hulk with issue 102. That run lasted until issue 474, 1999. Hulk #1 then starts, which becomes Incredible Hulk volume 2 with issue 12 - and is now on issue 110. So, the easy answer would be: 584 issues.
You're like a walking Wikipedia sir.
Old 11-03-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
You're like a walking Wikipedia sir.
Me and my trusty copy of the Overstreet Price Guide: Taking on the world! Arr!
Old 11-04-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Well, I think coming up to issue 600 would be more exciting than another issue 1.
Old 11-04-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I think coming up to issue 600 would be more exciting than another issue 1.
I totally agree.
Old 11-04-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember people getting pissed at Marvel when they started changed the numbering back so that they could sell "seminal" issues of titles. Like what they did with Fantastic Four a few years ago. It's a cheap ploy but it's also pretty damn silly if you step back and look at it. Comic fans need to lighten up.

I'm actually looking forward to this because McGuinness is going to be on the art. I really hope the book is good. At least it will be pretty.
Old 11-04-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I remember people getting pissed at Marvel when they started changed the numbering back so that they could sell "seminal" issues of titles. Like what they did with Fantastic Four a few years ago. It's a cheap ploy but it's also pretty damn silly if you step back and look at it. Comic fans need to lighten up.
As far as I can see, it's not a breaking point with the fans. It's an annoyance, but fans will stick with the books if the creative teams can bring good stories. It doesn't really matter what issue number is on the outside of the comic. But to just arbitrarily cancel long running titles and start them up at issue 1 again to get more attention drawn to the book is lazy marketing. You can't tell me a marketing team couldn't successfully market issue 550 of the Incredible Hulk? Or issue 600? Or if they wanted to start a radical new story line in issue 585 they couldn't manage to get people to pay attention to that?

Maybe TV shows should start doing this...cancel long running TV shows only to announce "new" shows next season with the same characters, slightly different name of the show, and start the episode numbering over at 1. I doubt it would be a breaking point for fans of the shows, but I bet collectors of the season sets on DVD would have some issue with the season sets starting over again at season one. I know there are Doctor Who fans, for example, who aren't thrilled with the idea that the latest and newest episodes of Doctor Who didn't resume the season numbering from the previous series. That doesn't mean it's a major issue...they watch the show and buy the season sets...but they have made a point to let their disappointment known.
Old 11-04-07, 08:21 PM

HULK #1 - Creators: Written by Jeph Loeb / Pencils & Cover by Ed McGuinness Variant Cover by Olivier Coipel
They lost me at "Jeph Loeb"
Old 11-04-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe TV shows should start doing this...cancel long running TV shows only to announce "new" shows next season with the same characters, slightly different name of the show, and start the episode numbering over at 1. \
Like Justice League
Old 11-05-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last time I was at my comic shop was Sept. 22nd... and looking through the shipping lists from the past weeks, it doesn't appear that there has been a new Incredible Hulk or World War Hulk released since then. WTF? Is that right?

World War Hulk isn't exactly blowing me away, and not releasing a new issue in over a month certainly doesn't help things.
Old 11-05-07, 10:03 AM
Banned

Nothing Marvel has done lately has been blowing me away. Same thing with DC, the weekly Countdown series has been the worst, I am sticking with it until the end then that's it for a weekly book for me.
Old 11-05-07, 10:13 AM

As far as I can see, it's not a breaking point with the fans. It's an annoyance, but fans will stick with the books if the creative teams can bring good stories. It doesn't really matter what issue number is on the outside of the comic. But to just arbitrarily cancel long running titles and start them up at issue 1 again to get more attention drawn to the book is lazy marketing. You can't tell me a marketing team couldn't successfully market issue 550 of the Incredible Hulk? Or issue 600? Or if they wanted to start a radical new story line in issue 585 they couldn't manage to get people to pay attention to that?

Maybe TV shows should start doing this...cancel long running TV shows only to announce "new" shows next season with the same characters, slightly different name of the show, and start the episode numbering over at 1. I doubt it would be a breaking point for fans of the shows, but I bet collectors of the season sets on DVD would have some issue with the season sets starting over again at season one. I know there are Doctor Who fans, for example, who aren't thrilled with the idea that the latest and newest episodes of Doctor Who didn't resume the season numbering from the previous series. That doesn't mean it's a major issue...they watch the show and buy the season sets...but they have made a point to let their disappointment known.
I think its in large part to exploit the speculator market. A #1 with a seminal character is going to have multiple copies bought by individuals so they can have one copy to read, and three others they can pay $50 a pop to have sealed in a plastic box that will protect them for all millennia.
Old 11-05-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DataZak
They lost me at "Jeph Loeb"
Damn player! What up with the Jeph Loeb hate?
Old 11-05-07, 11:02 AM

Has anyone else listened to the director's commentary track on the Hulk TV pilot? He says that he would have made Lou Ferrigno red if the powers that be had let him. He was completely baffled why the Hulk was the color of envy instead of rage. Looks like he's finally getting his wish.
Old 11-05-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
The last time I was at my comic shop was Sept. 22nd... and looking through the shipping lists from the past weeks, it doesn't appear that there has been a new Incredible Hulk or World War Hulk released since then. WTF? Is that right?
I don't think it's been as long as since Sept 22, but it has been more than just a few weeks. The checklist shows that all tie-ins should've finished in October, so clearly that mark was missed.

On a side note to continue whining about Marvel's lack of scheduling, when the Hell is part 3 of "One More Day" coming out? I'm doing everything I can to keep from hearing how it ends, and it's harder to do when the issues get delayed for so long! That story line should have completed a month ago!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.