Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Playing online console games - People bailing midway?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been big into online console games. The only time I've tried it was when I first got my PS2 and playing Madden. The problem I remember was people would disappear halfway through the game or after kickoff just randomly.. Is this still a problem when playing games? Not just referring to Madden, but other online console games
Old 11-01-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought Madden for Wii and it is AWFUL for online play. If you're winning, you can guarantee they'll quit.

Additionally, people have found ways to make it appear as if they've disconnected from the game, which ends up (sometimes) giving YOU the loss.

Very annoying. If you visit EA's Madden 08 Wii forum, people are furious over this sloppy game. I wish I could get my money back.
Old 11-01-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it highly depends on the games and the crowds those games will attract. For example, I have had nothing but extremely positive online experiences with Wartech: Senko no Ronde and Beautiful Katamari recently.
Old 11-01-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I have never been big into online console games. The only time I've tried it was when I first got my PS2 and playing Madden. The problem I remember was people would disappear halfway through the game or after kickoff just randomly.. Is this still a problem when playing games? Not just referring to Madden, but other online console games
With the 360 you can rate people you play against, if they quit midway you just slap em down a notch and it'll help you avoid playing against them again in the future. It's still a problem, but they're at least trying to remedy it. The 360 is the closest, but you pay for it ($50 a year retail).

The best thing is to hook up with a group of friends, either online or, you know, real life, and try playing against them. Ranked matches are another thing all together.
Old 11-01-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
So far, I still prefer online play on the PC to console (have played online console games as far back as Duke Nukem on the Saturn-then went on to use online features of the Dreamcast, DS, PSP, Xbox/360).

I have yet to play a sports game online, but for the games I have played they have either been very buggy/laggy (Burnout or any number of EA games) or FPS's where they lack PC like game browsers/features like the ability to jump in and out of games (really helps when people ditch or when you get stuck on a team with unruly players).
Old 11-01-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Smack: Jumping "out" of a game is quitting.
Old 11-01-07, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Smack: Jumping "out" of a game is quitting.
Thanks for clearing that up, but when you start a 4 on 4 team slayer and 3 of your "team mates" leave the game they should be able to be replaced on the fly so the game will be fair and fun for everyone.

I have yet to quit on a game (even the instance above) but I shouldn't be penalized (basically a guaranteed loss) because others have bailed on me.

The ability to join games in progress would remedy this situation. It's especially frustrating since consoles allow up to 4 people to play online via one console and when the owner quits he takes (up to) 3 other players with him.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-01-07 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 10:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
Additionally, people have found ways to make it appear as if they've disconnected from the game, which ends up (sometimes) giving YOU the loss.
After having this happen several times on Xbox Live with Texas Hold 'Em after making amazing plays, I stopped playing the game altogether. The whole thing left such a sour taste in my mouth that I frankly lost any interest in playing games online (not that I was that into the idea in first place).
Old 11-01-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Thanks for clearing that up, but when you start a 4 on 4 team slayer and 3 of your "team mates" leave the game they should be able to be replaced on the fly so the game will be fair and fun for everyone.
Not exactly fair and fun for everyone. What if that new guy, that hops in on the fly, joins a team that is already down by 20? He and his stats are fucked. Anyone who jumps in for that matter would be screwed from the get-go. Would anyone really want that feature? Not me, I'll take my chances with the quitters and tough it out than jump into the middle of a match I have no chance of winning.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-01-07 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not exactly fair and fun for everyone. What if that new guy, that hops in on the fly, joins a team that is already down by 20? He and his stats are fucked. Anyone who jumps in for that matter would be screwed from the get-go. Would anyone really want that feature? Not me, I'll take my chances with the quitters and tough it out than jump into the middle of a match I have no chance of winning.
Well, if all you care about are your stats, than I can see how you wouldn't like that.

I guess you haven't played a whole lot of online PC based shooters. You argument that anyone who jumps in to a game in progress is screwed is flawed since I have been on teams that were down on players and down on score and the new players help turn the tide and many times get the win.

But I play to have fun, so I could care less where I rank. That's why I play more on the social servers than the ranked ones. It should be allowed, at least, on unranked games.

It must be something that works because the PC games I play offer worldwide stat tracking/rankings and they all award players for simply playing well (and all allow joining/leaving of games in progress).

All of this would be a moot point if console shooters would adopt a more PC like game browser so that you could see what games are in progress, in the lobby, what players are playing, your ping etc.. so you would have no one to blame but yourself if you CHOOSE to join a game that is already going on.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-01-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you don't care about stats then quit yourself and start over and join a new game.
Old 11-01-07, 11:17 AM

If you don't care about stats then quit yourself and start over and join a new game.
I guess you just don't get the point of it.

I shouldn't have to quit.

The OP had an issue with people quitting, the PC style of online play would remedy this (at least for games that are not 1 v 1, where a forfeit by the quitter is the logical outcome). Stats aren't really the issue here.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-01-07 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 11:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The solution is pretty simple: penalize people for disconnecting (a la Mario Strikers Charged).
Old 11-01-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess you haven't played a whole lot of online PC based shooters...

That's why I play more on the social servers than the ranked ones. It should be allowed, at least, on unranked games.
I guess you haven't played Halo 2 or Halo 3. Both allow on-the-fly joining of social games.

In my experience, once you get to a certain baseline skill level in any online game, you're less likely to see quitters because quitters get bad marks and have a "low" skill. It doesn't fix the problem 100% but I have to say for the most part I don't really encounter it.
Old 11-01-07, 11:32 AM

I am playing Halo3 online. How do you join "in progress" games? I have yet to see a new teammate spawn into a game randomly. Nor have I spawned into a game that had already been going on.
Old 11-01-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Bus meant Custom Games. You can't join Ranked or Social games in Halo 2 or 3, only Custom ones.
Old 11-01-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I meant custom.
Old 11-01-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yeah, I meant custom.
exactly. And if you don't care about stats and want the ability for people to jump in and out, that is the mode you should be playing. The option is there.
Old 11-01-07, 07:34 PM

exactly. And if you don't care about stats and want the ability for people to jump in and out, that is the mode you should be playing. The option is there.

Not sure why you care so much where/what I play, but thanks!!!
Old 11-01-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not sure why you care so much where/what I play, but thanks!!!
You were talking about alleviating a frustrating experience with more PC like features. Features that are already in the game. Just trying to point that out so you can enjoy the game more. Nothing personal.
Old 11-02-07, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All the examples in this thread are reasons why I refuse to get an account an play games online. It's just not worth it.
Old 11-02-07, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
All the examples in this thread are reasons why I refuse to get an account an play games online. It's just not worth it.

Dude, don't let a few bad apples ruin what could be a fun experience. For every game where someone bails on purpose because they're a dick, there are TONS of games where everyone stays.

I NEVER quit even when I'm getting my ass handed to me which happens more than care to admit.
Old 11-02-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoy the fact that numerous games have a punishment for this, I think Halo 3's system is pretty fair, you lose a point of experience. I hardly ever saw it in R6:Vegas unless one team was absolutely destroying another. I had it happen once in Carcassone because I was destroying a guy so badly (it was something like 108-0 halfway through). As long as I get a ranked win on my record when these people leave, I'm fine with it. It sucks when it's your teammate though.
Old 11-02-07, 08:20 AM

You were talking about alleviating a frustrating experience with more PC like features. Features that are already in the game. Just trying to point that out so you can enjoy the game more. Nothing personal.
Well, since you can't browse for custom games or randomly join one (unless I'm missing something, these games are invite only???), it's not something I'm interested in. My favorite gametype is Big Team Battle, so I'm sort of stuck with social playlists.

It does make me curious to see how UT3 is going to handle matchmaking. I'm really looking forward to it and haven't decided which version (PC or 360) I'm going to get.

This article states it better than I can!!!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 11-02-07 at 08:36 AM.