Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Phantom of the opera(newer version)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-31-07, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a little late from it's premiere ,but I finally recently got to watch this new version,musical Phantom of the opera ,I thought it was a masterpiece.
The acting job of Gerard Butler was unbelieveable, this character of the phantom was the best interpretation yet . The musical aspect of the movie was the best, i love musicals.
Old 10-31-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Figures, nobody would respond.

Most people I talk to didn't like the musical. I loved it. I thought Emmy Rossum's voice is amazing. In fact, I think the only faux voice is Minnie Driver's character. Everyone in that movie has some musical talent and education.

Seeing it in HD is fabulous! The colors are just Shock-And-Awe, especially in the opening sequences with Minnie Driver.

This is the only movie I have cranked up on my HT system.
Old 11-01-07, 08:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked everything except for the Phantom in this.

Gerard Butler had terrible breath control and couldn't hold a note. At least half of his time singing was being covered up by the music to try and hide the fact that he couldn't carry it on his own (just like Mel Gibson in Pocahontas).

And Webber's phantom is supposed to be hypnotising and seducing Christine, not yelling at her and mind-raping her into a shocked kind of submission.

But, like I said, everybody and everything else was really good. Especially the managers.
Old 11-01-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wahlers
And Webber's phantom is supposed to be hypnotising and seducing Christine, not yelling at her and mind-raping her into a shocked kind of submission.
This is not correct. The portrayal in the movie and the play are almost identical.
Old 11-01-07, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll admit that I haven't seen it on stage for 15 years, but I did see it 4 times in 1990 and and have listened to both the original and canadian cast albums hundreds of times over the past 17 years, and this movie Phantom was far harsher than I was expecting.

If you've seen it on stage and the Phantom acted like he did in the movie, I'll just have to assume that you saw it some time more recently than I have, and that possibly Webber changed his idea of the character and the more recent tours (and then the movie) reflected this.