The Unofficial DD 20% off FAQ, Fall 2007 edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Unofficial DD 20% off FAQ, Fall 2007 edition

DVD Talk's Affiliate Link to DeepDiscount

Updated October 31, 2007

It's almost time again (we think) for this fall's Deep Discount 20% off sale, which means it's time for your unofficial Deep Discount 20% off sale F.A.Q.!

Traditionally the fall sale starts the second Thursday of November, which would be the 8th (but that is no guarantee that the sale will start that date). In order to assist our newer members (and to avoid multiple threads starting up), I present to you the Fall 2007 edition of the unofficial Deep Discount 20% off sale FAQ. If you have any questions that aren't covered in the FAQ, please post them in this thread, where they will be answered and added to the FAQ. If you'd like to help clarify anything in the FAQ, please do so.

If you want to complain about why you don't like DD, go to the stores forum.

Keep the bashing and "I had a bad experience" stuff out of this thread, please. I will be monitoring the thread closely, and I won't hesitate to report any threadcrappers / troublemakers / trolls to Pilot.

Please remember that this information is based on previous sales, and DD can change conditions at their discretion including and up to not even having the sale.

Q What is the big deal, anyway?
A For a few years now DD has held a major sale twice a year, usually in June and November. You get 20% off the purchase of almost every currently available DVD. With DD's already low prices, this can turn out to be great savings.

Q "Almost every currently available"???
A Yes. Sometimes a company might request that their movies not be included in the sale. I have no idea why they'd do this, but that's what happened in the fall of 2005 when ADV Films (a major distributor of anime, as well as the Farscape DVD series) requested to not be involved in the sale, and in the June 2006 sale Media Blasters (another anime distributor) made a similar request and had their products were completely removed from the Deep Discount site for the duration of the sale, and ADV left their anime titles but pulled their Farscape Starburst editions a couple days in. Some lucky buyers managed to order pulled releases right when the sale started, and others were able to call DD and convince an unknowing customer service rep to take a discounted order for the items. It's quite possible that ADV or Media Blasters will back out of future sales as well, so grab those films up as soon as the sale starts.

Q What about pre-orders?
A Pre-orders do not quallify for the 20% off. If the item you want is released during the sale, however, you can order it once it's officially released and get the discount.

Q What about items that are out of stock?
A Yes, out of stock items are included in the sale. As a matter of fact many popular items will go out of stock within the first 3 or 4 days of the sale, and will go on backorder. Even if the item doesn't ship until after the sale ends, you will still be charged the sale price.

Q Does this work with other sales that DD is having?
A It has in the past. That of course is no guarantee that it will in the future.

Q What about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray?
A Yes, those are usually included in the sale.

Q What about non DVD item on the DD site?
A Media storage (racks and cases), UMD's and posters have traditionally been part of the sale. Toys and video games have never been a part of the sale. Books and CD's are not part of the sale either, but in the Summer 2007 sale DD lowered the prices on thousands of selected books and CD's by 20%.

Q Any other limitations?
A Yes, you can't order more than 5 of any one title in one order. DD reserves the right to further limit quantities at their discretion.

Q So when does it start?
A Usually the second Thursday of the month at 4pm Eastern time, but as with everything else this can change at Deep Discount's whim.

Q How long does the sale run?
A Usually anywhere from 8 to 10 days.

Q So how will I know when the next sale starts?
A There will be a thread on the main page of the Bargains Forum. It usually goes up anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours before the sale kicks off. The announcement of the June 2006 sale was first made in the FAQ thread. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start threads asking when the sale will begin. It's considered bad form, and you will be verbally abused by many people until the thread is locked. This is a major event, so trust me when I say that you will not miss the announcement if you are a regular visitor to the forums. If DD has your e-mail address on file, you will receive several e-mails from them during the course of the sale.

Q How do I get my 20% off?
A At the checkout screen there is a place for you to enter a checkout code. Enter your code and the 20% discount will be applied to all eligible items. The box to enter the code is on your first checkout page where you select shipping. It is directly under the 4 shipping options. Some people have said that the box does not show up for them. In that case, it is recommended that you clear your cache and try again. If that fails, try a different browser (most of these complaints come from FireFox users).

Q What is the code?
A There are several different codes, a list of them will be posted in the thread announcing the sale. You can use each code one time during the sale. Usually the codes are the same from sale to sale, sometimes a few will change as different groups sponsor the event. Here's some of the codes that have been used:

DVDTALK
USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
PRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
LATIMES
XM
SOUTHSIDE
WGN
JIM
DEALNEWS

PLEASE PAY SPECIAL NOTICE TO THIS: If you plan on placing multiple orders, please use the code "DVDTALK" for your largest order. Deep Discount uses these codes to track how people find out about the sale, so the more attention and dollars that come from DVDTalk.com the better for all of us. You don't want ads appearing inside your posts again, do you? Also, please use the DVDTalk merchant link at the top of the FAQ. That gives even more money to this site.

Q Is this one of those sales where the prices are raised the night before?
A Over the last few years, that has been a hotly debated topic here at DVDTalk. In March of 06 a thread was started to track prices throughout the next few months to see if any were raised when the sale begain. The final verdict seems to be that 99% of the prices remained the same or went down. The other 1% consisted of prices that went up - sometimes only a few cents, other times high enough that you weren't saving anything from the regular price after 20% off - and some titles were changed from available to having a new release date. Some of these were planned price drops, others looked to be items DD was witholding from the sale. Another price comparison thread was run for the November 06 sale with generally the same results. A few items became very expensive, and Deep Discount rectified that situation when it was brought to their attention.

Many times when someone complains of a price increase, it's actually because the title in question was part of another sale that ended before the 20% sale began.

Q So these are the best prices I'll get all year?
A Of course not. You can always count on great Black Friday deals, pre-Christmas sales from Amazon.com, etc. The difference is that the DD sale is on practically everything, whereas other sales are more specific (BBC shows, TV shows on DVD from a certain studio, etc). Make sure to check around and see if you're getting the best price.

Q What about DVD Planet?
A DVDPlanet.com usually answers DD's sale with a 20% sale of their own, usually starting after DD's. Both companies have bargains, each one will have particular items they will have lower prices on. For example, DVDPlanet has a reputation of having lower prices on Criterion DVD's.

Q I checked around, and I can buy something cheaper than DD's listed price. Can I price match and then get the 20% taken off the new price?
A No. You can either price match or get 20% off according to DD's guidelines. However some people have reported that they were able to convince the DD rep they dealt with to take 20% off as well. This is definitely a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation, and do not expect it to work. Also, remember that DD will pricematch the entire price, which means they include shipping costs if you're pricematching an online site.

Q I've read that some people have had bad experiences with Deep Discount, how safe is it to order from them?
A With a company this large, doing hundreds of transactions a day (probably more, especially during big sales), there's bound to be mistakes made. 99.999999+% of the time, a quick phone call or e-mail to DD gets the problem fixed. For every bad experience, you will find many, many accounts of positive experiences.

Q I haven't received an order confirmation, usually I have one within a few minutes!
A As it says at checkout, you get an order confirmation within 24 hours. Wait that long, maybe even 36 hours, before being concerned that your order didn't go through. Keep a list of what you ordered so that you can place the order again if necessary. If the possibility of this happening really concerns you, don't place an order at the last minute.

Q It's been 10 business days and I haven't received my order yet!
A 10 days after you placed your order or 10 days after you received a shipping notice? Remember, this is one of the busiest times for DD. While the speed of UPS or the USPS isn't changed by it, the time it takes to process and fill your order does. So while we're all accustomed to getting an order confirmation immediately and having a shipping notice in 24-48 hours, it could take up to a week just for the warehouse to put your order together. So remember to base your expectations off of the date your order was shipped, not placed.

The closer you are to DD's warehouse (I assume it's located at their listed address of Itasca, IL), the faster you will get your items. If you live somewhere like California or Florida, you'll probably be closer to the 10 business days if not a little longer. In cases like this, it's strongly recommended that you build up a big order and pay the extra few bucks to have it shipped priority mail. Sometimes, if you place a large enough order, DD will automatically upgrade it to UPS 2 day shipping as it's cheaper to send that route instead of going through the USPS. It's generally believed that the physical size of the order is what DD uses to decide when to upgrade your shipping, but obviously we are not going to get confirmation from DD because that could result in people taking advantage of the situation.

Q It's been a week since I placed my order, and when I check the status everything is still "in process."
A See the above answer. This is a busy time for DD, and although they normally have an order processed and ready to ship in a day or two, it takes longer and longer as the sale goes on and orders build up.

Q Is there anything else I should know about?
A Yes.

1. If you get your items and the print-out happens to list something as shipped, but then someone at the warehouse has written next to it (or stamped) something like "not available, will ship soon," call DD immediately. This happened to me with an order and if I hadn't called it never would have shipped as their computer had it listed as being sent to me, then someone later down the line found that it wasn't available at the moment.

2. When your order arrives, get the packing list and make sure that your entire order arrived. You should do this any time you have an order consisting of many items, but it especially applies during the sale.

Q What other resources should I take advantage of when checking on prices or things to buy?
A Your biggest resource is right here in the DVDTalk Bargains forum, where many of your fellow DVDTalkers share info. There are threads dedicated to people listing what they have bought so far during the sale. There's posts detailing bargains in other stores.

There's also DavisDVD.com, where you can get a detailed list of most of the new releases each week. It's not uncommon for people to go back a few months or so in the listings to see if anything snuck out to the shelves that they were unaware of.
http://www.davisdvd.com/weekly/calendar.html

Also if you are looking for ideas you can search the DVD Talk Review Database as well as check out the highest rated DVDs given DVD Talk's Collector Series Rating

You can find reviews of HD and Blu-Ray titles here

Another important detail is to make a wish list at Deep Discount's web site. Actually you can make it anywhere, but it makes the most sense to have it on DD's site as you can just pull it up and buy titles off of it instead of having to look each one up individually.

ADMIN NOTE:
Any negative comments (i.e. threadcraps) will be removed from this thread, as well as any debate about prices going up and down and left and right before/after/during the sale. Post ALL THAT IN THE STORE FORUM. IF YOU DON'T LIKE DD OR THE SALE, VOICE YOUR OPINION IN THE STORE FORUM. NOT HERE! This will remain a FAQ and informal thread. Please don't piss me off ...or MovieExchange for his great FAQ he's written up yet again.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 11-08-07 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Job MovieExchange.....

Note..... keep in mind that DavisDVD.com is closing.
Old 10-31-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Great Job MovieExchange.....

Note..... keep in mind that DavisDVD.com is closing.
Thanks! The one sad part of doing that FAQ was deleting the line about your great weekly sale price updates. I haven't participated much in the whole discussion about that, but I hope things are working out for you, and I hope you're enjoying the break from not having to do 3 detailed posts a week :-)

As for DavisDVD, I didn't know they were closing. When is it due to close down, and do you have any suggestions for a replacement site for the FAQ?
Old 10-31-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the FAQ. One question that has been bothering international customers is that the shipping cost is determined by the total value of the order or discounted value during DD's 20% off sale? It has been discussed to some extent in one of the other threads but nobody seems to know for sure.

Thanks

Last edited by punit; 10-31-07 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome thread OP.
Old 10-31-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Thanks! The one sad part of doing that FAQ was deleting the line about your great weekly sale price updates. I haven't participated much in the whole discussion about that, but I hope things are working out for you, and I hope you're enjoying the break from not having to do 3 detailed posts a week :-)

As for DavisDVD, I didn't know they were closing. When is it due to close down, and do you have any suggestions for a replacement site for the FAQ?

The sites I've been reading are not as comprehensive as DavisDVD was. Certainly VIDEOETA.com lists a ton of titles and DVDActive has been very informative as well.

There's a thread about DavisDVD on the Talk Forum page.

AS for my threads, I certainly miss doing them and perhaps once I get healthy again, I may throw the power switch to the machine ON again and see what happens. (My favorite holidays are fast approaching dont'cha know? )
Old 10-31-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Hopefully music is included this time. If so, I will spend some jack.
Old 10-31-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That whole 99% unchanged prices seems to be one of those stats someone randomly made up. I like DD and they have gotten probably 50% of my dvd buying business which is probably a few hundred dvd's, but the prices have definitely gone up more than they have gone down. The last few sales I have probably spent around $30 average. The first few sales, I spent anywhere from $300-700 per sale. I have less on my wishlist than I did then, Im more of a bargain hunter in terms of dvd's since then, but the raised prices definitely takes the fun out of these sales and make this not that great of a sale. These sales are what makes dd the name they are today and why they remain in business. Im just chiming in because on my wishlist for years there were dvd's in the under $6 range, I just checked my wishlist yesterday and all those dvd's are like $7.18 now. You used to be able to get these for $4.79 during the sale, now what are they 20 cents off the original price when the discount comes? I will probably just buy some storage items as those are the only deals to be found when this sale comes around this year.
Old 10-31-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Navarre's new release list, through February 26, 2008:

http://www.navarre.com/newproducts.a...=Video#2217326
Old 10-31-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will probably be sitting this one out as I have a huge backlog of unwatched and some financial matters that need tending to.

I do remember the June sale beginning within hours of the FAQ being posted back then. Have fun! I may get dragged in near the end date.
Old 10-31-07, 02:52 PM
Zbu

I won't be going as wild as I have been this time around, but I will pick up a few things I want. Those new Doctor Who discs are MINE!!

And the new MST3K Set.
Old 10-31-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they include the books. I just updated my wishlist and am looking to spend some dough. THanks for the FAQ
Old 10-31-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MovieExchange, should add something about expediated shipping, where it's only the shipping that expediated (from the time it LEAVES the warehouse, not the time you place the order, and placing an Expediated order on like a Thursday or Friday an order may not ship until Saturday or Sunday) also a lot of times people get shipping notices (mostly weekends) where the item(s) are packaged AND "shipped" (meaning it's processed and done with) but the actual order may not go out that day (could be the next).

Also if you buy lets say UPS 2nd day, everything instock will go that method and anything that's backordered will go free media mail.

Also call during the sale, as email may take a while and phone you will usually get someone quickly, and canceling orders is almost impossible (even sometimes with backorders) during the sale.

MovieExchange, I edited your thread, one of the coupons, "DVDPRICESEARCH" is "PRICESEARCH" when it works, so change that for your records.

also I added a disclaimer to the bottom of your post.
Old 10-31-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1961
The sites I've been reading are not as comprehensive as DavisDVD was. Certainly VIDEOETA.com lists a ton of titles and DVDActive has been very informative as well.

There's a thread about DavisDVD on the Talk Forum page.

AS for my threads, I certainly miss doing them and perhaps once I get healthy again, I may throw the power switch to the machine ON again and see what happens. (My favorite holidays are fast approaching dont'cha know? )

SPEEDY!!!! how long have you been back??
Old 10-31-07, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the FAQ MovieExchange. As soon as I saw this thread, the Monday Night Football theme started running through my head. This is like the pre-game show. The sale is nigh!
Old 10-31-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Woo, I'm glad I just got a new job.

I didn't get to buy much the last few times because I was an unemployed freshman in college hahaha.
Old 10-31-07, 05:05 PM

Nice, OP. Thanks!
Old 10-31-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've missed you speedy. I thought the suits at CC had you thrown in a river or something. I hope you get to feeling better.
Old 10-31-07, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by punit
Thanks for the FAQ. One question that has been bothering international customers is that the shipping cost is determined by the total value of the order or discounted value during DD's 20% off sale? It has been discussed to some extent in one of the other threads but nobody seems to know for sure.

Thanks
I posted to a thread yesterday about International Shipping Costs/Prices.

You can 'test' this out with some of the current deals at the moment - just do a 'dummy' order without fully submitting it. Example - order from current Anchor Bay Sale - B2G1F

3 items in order - 6.02 / 6.02 / 17.92
total amount = 29.96

total amount less 1 item for free (less 6.02) when applied = 23.94

*** International shipping rates - up to $25.00 =$5.95 / 25.01- 50.00 =$8.95

DD ORDER TOTALS
Why Pay? $46.93
Promotional Discount: -$6.02
Total Savings: $22.99
Shipping: $8.95
Your Subtotal: $32.89

You can see that the Shipping has taken the TOTAL AMOUNT PRE DISCOUNT to work out the rate.

DD determine the shipping price based on the TOTAL price/s before discount.
Old 10-31-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I remember correctly, the end date/time of the sale is not always carved in stone, so don't expect to be able to wait until the absolute last second to place an order.
Old 10-31-07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
If I remember correctly, the end date/time of the sale is not always carved in stone, so don't expect to be able to wait until the absolute last second to place an order.
It works the other way as well. I remember DD extending a sale last year a few more days. Also got 20% off on some CD's I ordered, they were already on sale and the cart took another discount. They cost me $6 and change in the end. It didn't work on the book I wanted but that was an out of stock item and could have had something to do with it.
Old 10-31-07, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tonyjg
I posted to a thread yesterday about International Shipping Costs/Prices.

You can 'test' this out with some of the current deals at the moment - just do a 'dummy' order without fully submitting it. Example - order from current Anchor Bay Sale - B2G1F

3 items in order - 6.02 / 6.02 / 17.92
total amount = 29.96

total amount less 1 item for free (less 6.02) when applied = 23.94

*** International shipping rates - up to $25.00 =$5.95 / 25.01- 50.00 =$8.95

DD ORDER TOTALS
Why Pay? $46.93
Promotional Discount: -$6.02
Total Savings: $22.99
Shipping: $8.95
Your Subtotal: $32.89

You can see that the Shipping has taken the TOTAL AMOUNT PRE DISCOUNT to work out the rate.

DD determine the shipping price based on the TOTAL price/s before discount.
Yeah but if you email them they'll fix that. Although probably too much trouble.

-Ben
Old 11-01-07, 12:47 AM

I'm sure prices won't be as good this year, on average. But take into account that there has been a postage rate increase. Since shipping is free, that increased cost has to be reflected in the price of the items. I don't know how DDD even made a profit on some of the past sales I've taken advantage of, considering that they did not ship the whole order in one box -- it would come in piecemeal, which costs them extra in postage.

Great thread, and a good reminder to start making a list and browsing DDD.
Old 11-01-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If its the second Thurs. That means it will end before 11/20. Which is when a bunch of tv box sets come out...CSI, Wild Wild West & Mission Impossible.
Old 11-01-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I've missed you speedy. I thought the suits at CC had you thrown in a river or something. I hope you get to feeling better.

Me too, I put a post in the seinfeld thread in bargains, but good to see you back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.