Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Bee Movie (Discussion Thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I saw this movie last night with my wife and daughter. It was better than I expected it to be. It had some very funny parts and it kept my daughter's attention most of the time. It even had a few laugh out loud moments. It seems that most (if not all) of the audience was pleasantly surprised by the movie.
Old 10-31-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I have no use for the unbelievably-unfunny Jerry Seinfeld, so I will not be seeing this movie.

I guess that's it for my contribution to the discussion.
Old 10-31-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It even had a few laugh out loud moments. It seems that most (if not all) of the audience was pleasantly surprised by the movie.
It's brilliant marketing. Lower everyone's expectations with an embarrassingly unfunny promotional campaign so they have no choice but to leave the theater thinking it was better than expected.

das
Old 10-31-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to see it, before I make comments. I always thought it would've be funnier to have people in bee outfits for the whole movie, like Seinfeld's Cannes appearance.
Old 10-31-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this about 6 months ago at a test screening. Its alright but nothing special. I hope they added some scenes (or cut some) to make the plot flow more smoothly. When I saw it, the movie seemed like 3 separate segments tied together using a single protagonist.
Old 10-31-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their decision to put his face on the bee keeps me from seeing this.
Old 10-31-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't "get" Seinfeld's humor, but I will give the movie the benefit of the doubt. I hope it will BEE entertaining.
Old 10-31-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I thought there'd be more buzz on this one.

I'm sorry.
Old 10-31-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The critical reviews could sting.
Old 10-31-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I'm just gald someone finally made an animated movie about insects. Why the hell did it take so long!?
Old 10-31-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ad campaign has assured that I will never ever ever see this movie. I've heard of pushing a movie, but this shit is ridiculous.
Old 10-31-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The ad campaign has assured that I will never ever ever see this movie. I've heard of pushing a movie, but this shit is ridiculous.

Yes. It was really starting to bug me.
Old 10-31-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I also thought that the movie would be really stupid but was somewhat surprised. The bottom line is that this movie is still intended for younger audiences. Seinfeld does have a strange sense of humor but that doesn't translate into the movie being a turd. From what I have read in this thread is that only one other perron has actually seen the movie, or at least some form of the movie.
Old 11-01-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Jerry Seinfeld and I do find him funny; I find Seinfeld, TV show much funnier than Jerry as a stand-up comedian, but I “get” his humor and anybody who doesn’t enjoy a good rape joke every once and awhile, doesn’t have a sense of humor.

The only thing that "Bugs" ( <--- Look, I'm a comedian too!) me is that all these big name/talented comedian's, all want to do a fu*king animated movie.
Old 11-01-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I just wish Seinfeld would get behind this movie and promote it a little...
Old 11-01-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone read any info on Jerry's deal for this? He must be getting an enormous percentage, I've never seen a star as big as him promote anything like this.
Old 11-01-07, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
I just wish Seinfeld would get behind this movie and promote it a little...
I didn't even know he was in this movie!

I won't bother with the theater, I'll just wait for the DVD.
Old 11-02-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
I've never seen a star as big as him promote anything like this.
Who else has also produced and written an animated movie they star in?
Old 11-02-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I have no use for the unbelievably-unfunny Jerry Seinfeld, so I will not be seeing this movie.

I guess that's it for my contribution to the discussion.
I've watched every episode of Seinfeld and though I found his character on the show pretty funny, have never thought he was funny in his stand up. Those Bee Movie promos on NBC were excrutiatingly unfunny. I'll pass.
Old 11-02-07, 03:46 PM

there is so much buzz about this movie! (no pun intended!) so--idk i think it might be good!
Old 11-02-07, 04:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the trailers were same old, same old. I really didn't see what distinguished this from Ant Bully, The Wild, Surf's Up Barnyard or any of the other generic animated movies that have come out recently. And yeah, the Bee Movie TV Juniors are probably the worst movie promos I have ever seen.
Old 11-03-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Well, I liked Ant Bully and Surf's Up...and Bee Movie. I thought the plot was kind of lame but it had lots of jokes, a fairly quick pace and I had fun at it. The TV Juniors are some of the worst things I've ever seen, but they don't really have anything to do with the movie or the humour in the movie, so I quickly forgot I ever saw them. About a hundred times better than the abortions that were Shrek the Turd and Madagascar, so at least Dreamworks Animation isn't on my shitlist...for now.
Old 11-03-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I went to see it. No, aside from the trailer (from a while ago), Seinfeld's 30 Rock appearance, and the back of my Cheerios box, I haven't seen any other advertising for it. I will admit I am not looking hard.

First off, this is not a Seinfeld movie. If you're seeing this because you're a fan of Seinfeld, then... that's not the reason to go. This is a very solid middle-of-the-road Dreamworks film (loads better than Shrek or the fish movie, not as good as Over the Hedge) and there could be far worse ways to spend an afternoon. I saw an evening show and there were a lot of families (and an older couple by themselves next to me) and this seemed to be a crowd pleaser. Clapping at the end, so forth.

The movie lacked the heart that the best Disney and Pixar films had but it made it up with a lot of for-adults comedy that went from the expected (a mosquito is a lawyer, get it?) to the surreal. I thought it had a nice charm to it and I'm glad to see it. Not a classic, but good nonetheless.
Old 11-04-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The shilling Jerry has been doing for this movie is embarrassing, but at least we got this great Larry King moment out of it:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZfUgVSfKdQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NZfUgVSfKdQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-04-07, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This film had a so-so start that didn't quite endear you to Barry Benson (Jerry Seinfeld's bee character), and that's not a good sign because without such a hook, the mid-section of the film is somewhat bombastic (thanks to John Goodman's character) and angonizingly boring. Add a feckless Renee Zellwegger vocal performance into the mix, it's just dull. But, the 3rd act picks up a little steam, though takes some creative liberties in pushing a bee-centric agenda to present its case and buzzes to the finish line on a minor up note.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.