Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Columbus, OH- Where to eat?

milwaukee_mike
10-31-07, 01:01 PM
I am headed down to Columbus, OH with two buddies for the UW Vs. OSU game this weekend . I'm looking for recommendations on where to get a good meal on Friday night. I'm thinking man food like steak or BBQ. Nothing posh. The more unique to the area the better; so no chains please.

Any other places we should be sure to visit to get the OSU experience?

DJLinus
10-31-07, 01:06 PM
Go to Skully's (http://www.skullys.org/): good food and live music. All you need.

Or get some Scotch Eggs at Mac's (http://columbus.citysearch.com/profile/7864907).

Old Bag of Nails (http://www.oldbagofnails.com/) is another pub with good food. The corned beef sandwich is HUGE.

Hoggy's (http://www.hoggys.com/index.cfm) has good BBQ.

Want German? Try Schmidt's Sausage Haus (http://www.schmidthaus.com/). They have the best (and only) German food buffet that I've been to.

Great. Now I miss Columbus. :(

Lemdog
10-31-07, 01:09 PM
Thread paging Wenders!

wendersfan
10-31-07, 01:18 PM
Where will you be staying?

I'd recommend the Eddie George Griille in the South Campus Gateway - good (man) food and it's close to a lot of bars. I live in the neighborhood, in case you want to buy me a beer for all the advice I imagine I'll be providing in the near future. ;)

shadowhawk2020
10-31-07, 01:24 PM
I heard the local Denny's is pretty good ;)

milwaukee_mike
10-31-07, 01:28 PM
We'll be staying about 6 miles from the OSU stadium.

wendersfan
10-31-07, 01:35 PM
We'll be staying about 6 miles from the OSU stadium.In which direction (NSEW)?

Jadzia
10-31-07, 02:06 PM
Is that vegan restaurant still open? I have been wanting to go down there to try it since I read glowing reviews about it. But I am not sure how long a vegan restaurant can stay open in Ohio.

wendersfan
10-31-07, 02:10 PM
Is that vegan restaurant still open? I have been wanting to go down there to try it since I read glowing reviews about it. But I am not sure how long a vegan restaurant can stay open in Ohio.Dragonfly Neo-V?

Yes, it's still open and doing quite well. I'm friends with the owners and eat there often (but not often enough!)

Jadzia
10-31-07, 02:12 PM
Dragonfly Neo-V?

Yes, it's still open and doing quite well. I'm friends with the owners and eat there often (but not often enough!)

Cool, that's the one. I have been wanting to come down some weekend to have dinner there, maybe hit the Columbus Zoo beforehand.

drmoze
10-31-07, 02:36 PM
Olive Garden, baby! Ohio's finest cuisine.

printerati
10-31-07, 04:44 PM
Hoggy's (http://www.hoggys.com/index.cfm) has good BBQ.

Hoggy's is a chain, and not a very good one (which is true of most BBQ chains, in my opinion).

Any other places we should be sure to visit to get the OSU experience?

Stop in Gainesville for two ass beatings.

Minor Threat
10-31-07, 04:50 PM
Do they have a Rainforest Cafe? I've heard others say it's a destination type of spot.....

wendersfan
10-31-07, 04:54 PM
Stop in Gainesville for two ass beatings.-ohbfrank-

Red Dog
10-31-07, 04:58 PM
I think it's a chain, but they don't have them around here, but I've always enjoyed the prime rib at J. Alexander's.

wendersfan
10-31-07, 05:02 PM
There's not a J. Alexander's near campus or downtown. For steak I would recommend Mitchell's on 3rd Street in downtown.

I'll work on a comprehensive Columbus/OSU campus post this evening.

Jazzbutcher
10-31-07, 09:10 PM
Do they have a Rainforest Cafe? I've heard others say it's a destination type of spot.....
Ahhh, Columbus...the land of restaurants with 1000 or more locations.;)

Judge Smails
10-31-07, 09:28 PM
Hoggy's is a chain, and not a very good one (which is true of most BBQ chains, in my opinion).

Agreed. Hoggys BBQ tastes the same as what you buy at the grocery store.

For BBQ in Columbus, go to City BBQ (http://cityqbbq.com/locations.php) on Henderson or JP's (http://www.jpsbbq.com/bolton.asp) .

Always heard good things about the Old Bag of Nails, never been there though. Even though it's a small chain, Max & Erma's (http://maxandermas.com/) has some great burgers.

Pharoh
10-31-07, 09:42 PM
Where will you be staying?

I'd recommend the Eddie George Griille in the South Campus Gateway - good (man) food and it's close to a lot of bars. I live in the neighborhood, in case you want to buy me a beer for all the advice I imagine I'll be providing in the near future. ;)

He is from Wisconsin, you know.

;)

Seriously, just listen to wenders. Go to Eddies. The food is good with some unique items and it gives the OSU 'experience' well enough as anywhere. The nachos, (huge huge plate), blackened bologna, and the meatloaf hoagie are all rated highly by my sons and items not found everywhere. Also friends have enjoyed the ribs, though I don't think they are the greatest. My older son keeps begging to order the 27 oz. porterhouse, but I have not relented yet. It might be a good call though to fulfill the 'man' food request.

Totally opposite end of the spectrum, I will third the Dragonfly recommendation. It offers some of the best vegetarian food I have had anywhere, not just in the US.

Mostly, have a good time.

printerati
10-31-07, 10:40 PM
Agreed. Hoggys BBQ tastes the same as what you buy at the grocery store.

For BBQ in Columbus, go to City BBQ (http://cityqbbq.com/locations.php) on Henderson or JP's (http://www.jpsbbq.com/bolton.asp) .

City BBQ, I like. I'm not sure where their first location was, but their expansion into Cincinnati was fairly recent (within the last two years). I especially enjoy their brisket and all of their sides except coleslaw, which I despise pretty much everywhere.

Max & Erma's, I do not like.

DJLinus
10-31-07, 11:03 PM

My bad. The only place I've ever seen them is in Columbus, so I figured it was just a local thing. I actually preferred Damon's ribs, but I knew that was a big chain. Now that I think about it, I think I went to City BBQ once while I lived in Columbus, and quite enjoyed their brisket.

As far as the best BBQ in Columbus, my uncle's cooking is easily the tops (he's a veteran of several of Steven Raichlen's BBQ Boot Camps), but I doubt he'd appreciate me sending the OP to his doorstep.

glassdragon
11-01-07, 12:58 AM
If you can stand pizza you want Hounddogs pizza... awesome spicy pizza sauce.. best pizza around. it's on North high street i think

wendersfan
11-01-07, 10:48 AM
If you can stand pizza you want Hounddogs pizza... awesome spicy pizza sauce.. best pizza around. it's on North high street i think"Fly-Pie" aka Flying Pizza, on High and 14th, is much better.

The game is at noon. If you are staying through Saturday night, go to the Short North arts district that evening and attend Gallery Hop. It's always on the first Saturday of the month, and all the shops and galleries stay open. There are tons of great restaurants and bars of every type in the area, and the place will be full of people walking around, looking at art, and having a great time. It's one of the best things to do in the city.

For campus color, there's Larry's bar on High Street across from campus. It's been around for decades, and has one of the best jukeboxes in town. A little further north there's "the Dube" (The Blue Danube) a sort of hole-in-the-wall bar and grill. Another campus area fixture.

Buckeye Donuts is open 24/7, and in addition to pastries you can also get great gyros and falafal, if you are so inclined at 2:00 am. For barbecue, City Barbecue on Henderson, just west of Reed (in Upper Arlington) is the place to go. I'll add more stuff as I think about it.

kakihara1
11-01-07, 11:13 AM
Drive to Cincy and eat at the Montgomery Inn :)

printerati
11-01-07, 11:40 AM
Drive to Cincy and eat at the Montgomery Inn :)

To quote wendersfan: -ohbfrank-

Boiled ribs drowned in sauce cannot and will not be considered BBQ by anyone in his right mind, but what do you expect from a city that considers a potpourri meat sauce poured over spaghetti and covered in a pound of shredded cheddar cheese to be chili?

Can you tell I'm not from here? ;)

darkflounder
11-01-07, 11:47 AM
I used to work in Akron, and had to drive to Indianapolis on occasion, passing through Columbus. And there was only one place I would always stop at.

Tim Hortons

It's all about the Timbits.

woofman
11-01-07, 11:54 AM
Barley's Smokehouse is a great, festive place.

http://www.barleysbrewing.com/smokehouse/index.htm

They have INCREDIBLE wings (smoked all day, available in Carolina or Texas sauce) pulled pork, quesadillas, salads, AND great micro-brew! Just a couple miles West of downtown. Not a chain either, they have a smaller location in the Short North, but the menu is smaller and not as good IMO.

The best BBQ I've had is "Pig Iron" -same owners as Old Bag of Nails, located on High St. about 5 miles North of Campus. :drool:.

I'm sure Eddie George's is nice, but on game day you might not be able to get close to that place.

The Bus
11-01-07, 11:57 AM
Sadly, there are no Rainforest Cafes. :(

wendersfan
11-01-07, 11:57 AM
I'm sure Eddie George's is nice, but on game day you might not be able to get close to that place.The request was for a place tomorrow (Friday) night, not game day.

I don't have a ticket for the game so I'll probably go to Studio 35 on Indianola and watch it on the big screen there. :)

kakihara1
11-01-07, 12:31 PM
To quote wendersfan: -ohbfrank-

Boiled ribs drowned in sauce cannot and will not be considered BBQ by anyone in his right mind, but what do you expect from a city that considers a potpourri meat sauce poured over spaghetti and covered in a pound of shredded cheddar cheese to be chili?

Can you tell I'm not from here? ;)

:lol: People in Indiana are really loving the skyline chili, personally I think it's crap but to each his own.

wendersfan
11-01-07, 12:42 PM
what do you expect from a city that considers a potpourri meat sauce poured over spaghetti and covered in a pound of shredded cheddar cheese to be chili?:lol:

Just because you live in Ohio it doesn't mean your cuisine has to be the culinary equivalent of The Jerry Springer Show.

printerati
11-01-07, 01:04 PM
Penn Station is the only local chain of that caliber that I enjoy. LaRosa's, Skyline, Gold Star, et al. can fuck off.

We don't get up to Columbus often, and the only recent non-chain experience I have is R. J. Snapper's on Short North. We both really enjoyed our seafood, no small feat in this part of the country. I didn't recommend it in this thread because it probably qualifies as too "posh."

Is the Cane's still on High Street? That's a primarily Southern chain I will gladly patronize. Great for a quick snack. I have a weakness for them and Chick-Fil-A.

beesonosu
11-01-07, 01:43 PM
Adriatico's Pizza is great if you are in the mood for a thick crust, filling pizza. Can't recall where they are because I always had the deliver in college.

I'd also recommend Hound Dog's Pizza on High Street, a mile or so north of campus..at least it was. Open 24 hours, and be sure to get the Spicy sauce and the Smoking Joe's crust.

Some other places I've enjoyed over my 6+years there as a OSU student and MS student were:

Shoku on Grandview Ave. It's a higher priced but not too $$$ sushi and Asian fusion? restaurant. Classy, great service and you get your money's worth.

The Fish Market, I think it is called, on Olentangy River Rd. just W of the stadium. Pricey again, but a decent selection of fresh fish for central Ohio.

Just north of The Fish Market is Cap City Diner which I highly recommend as well.

Although a chain, you can't go wrong with Jimmy John's late at night after the game.

I miss OSU and although it says that I live in Fisher, IN, I actually moved to LaGrange , GA a few weeks ago and haven't bothered to change my location. BBQ and Sweet Tea down here are much better although I must say that while I like Zaxby's I think I liked Raising Cane's better.

wendersfan
11-01-07, 01:58 PM
Adriatico's Pizza is great if you are in the mood for a thick crust, filling pizza. Can't recall where they are because I always had the deliver in college.256 West 11th.

Shoku on Grandview Ave. It's a higher priced but not too $$$ sushi and Asian fusion? restaurant. Classy, great service and you get your money's worth.I ate there recently. Great food, and hot waitresses.

The Fish Market, I think it is called, on Olentangy River Rd. just W of the stadium. Pricey again, but a decent selection of fresh fish for central Ohio.Columbus Fish Market, just north of 3rd on Olentangy. I've never eaten there (I don't eat seafood) but my wife likes it.

I'm not a fan of Cap City, but it's not that the food isn't good, it's just not the sort of food I like. To me, meatloaf (if I ate meatloaf) and mashed potatoes are things you make and eat at home.

printerati
11-01-07, 02:13 PM
Adriatico's Pizza is great if you are in the mood for a thick crust, filling pizza. Can't recall where they are because I always had the deliver in college.

We have one here as well. Best pizza in the city, hands down. Can you dine in at the Columbus location? The one here is pickup/delivery only.

wendersfan
11-01-07, 02:25 PM
We have one here as well. Best pizza in the city, hands down. Can you dine in at the Columbus location? The one here is pickup/delivery only.The one here is dine-in, but the dining area isn't very big. I eat there about once a month or so (it's about 1/2 mile from my office.)

monkey42
11-01-07, 09:54 PM
If you go to Old Bag of Nails, get some fried pickles!

wendersfan
11-05-07, 08:22 AM
Closure please. I'd like to know how you enjoyed our fair city.

I can imagine how you enjoyed the game... :D

chris_sc77
11-05-07, 09:19 AM
Cheesecake factory is delicious...
Also downtown they have a great place called the Clairemont. They have the most amazing duck ever.

printerati
11-05-07, 11:11 AM
Cheesecake factory is delicious...

I give up.

Matt
11-05-07, 03:55 PM
Betty's.

680 N High St.

Good menu, good beer selection, good atmosphere.

http://bettysfoodandspirits.com/

wendersfan
11-05-07, 04:20 PM
Betty's.

680 N High St.

Good menu, good beer selection, good atmosphere.

http://bettysfoodandspirits.com/Every time I eat there I get sick.

On the plus side, a couple of friends of mine met each other there several years ago, and have now been married for about two years. Yay romance! :)

Matt
11-05-07, 04:34 PM
Every time I eat there I get sick.

You keep going back?

wendersfan
11-05-07, 04:37 PM
You keep going back?I've been there three times, the last two times after it had been taken over by new management.

chris_sc77
11-06-07, 12:53 PM
I give up.
What's wrong with the Cheesecake Factory?

printerati
11-06-07, 11:01 PM
To put it nicely...jack of all trades, master of none.

milwaukee_mike
11-07-07, 12:32 PM
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, we didn't quite have the amount of time for dining I had planned.

When we got into town (we stayed at the Country Inns off I71 and 161), we decided to take a run to the Stadium so we'd have an idea of where we were going on game day. My friends were too hungry to track down your recommendations, so we ended up grabbing a pizza at the Varsity Club and a bit later some wings at BW-3's. Not my choice, but I was outnumbered.

Unfortunately, the recommendation for Tim Horton's came a bit too late. There was one right across from our hotel.

What I saw of the city was nice, althought admittedly it was not much... OSU campus and some of the Arena district. I am pleased to say that while we did have the occassional rude comment about the Badgers and WI thrown our way, we easily had twice as many people come up, welcome us and thank us for making the trip.