Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Official Wii Thread - Part VIII

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

ESUguy
02-25-08, 02:43 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll check them out. Which of these games would be easiest for my 5 year old daughter? She's barely played games before, but it looks like she's going to be better than my wife soon.

Michael Corvin
02-25-08, 02:47 PM
I'd say guitar hero. I have a niece who is 5 and has been playing GH. She can pass a handful of songs on easy.

Plus you expose her to some decent music before peer pressure sets in. :)

superdeluxe
02-25-08, 03:08 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll check them out. Which of these games would be easiest for my 5 year old daughter? She's barely played games before, but it looks like she's going to be better than my wife soon.

Some games for entire family/kids/wife:

Cooking Mama
Carnival Games
Raving Rabbids
Mario Party

Demontooth
02-25-08, 03:09 PM
I got my WII on Sunday at Target. They didn't open until 8, but I left the house shortly after 6 when I woke up. There were only a few of us at first, but there were probably 25 by the time they opened. The manager came out about 20 minutes before they opened and gave everyone a numbered business card.

Now I just need to figure out what games to get.

I did a double take to make sure this post wasn't from February 2007.

darkside
02-25-08, 04:47 PM
I have a 4 year old and I'm seriously thinking of getting her the new Go Diego Go game. It lets an adult use control 2 to assist the child during game play. She loves playing games, but at age 4 can get stuck and need help from time to time.

drmoze
02-25-08, 05:03 PM
Is anyone lovin' on Geometry Wars: Galaxies? This game is the illegitimate space-alien 3-way love child of Space Duel, Robotron and Tempest 2000. (Almost expected to see Jeff Minter in the credits.) Pretty ironic, for a quick pick-up-and-play game, that I can't pull my hands off the controller after 3 hours (every time!).

Seriously, it is a great mass-destruction psychedelic-eye-candy twitch game. Highly recommended. :up:

Liver&Onions
02-25-08, 05:23 PM
Is anyone lovin' on Geometry Wars: Galaxies? This game is the illegitimate space-alien 3-way love child of Space Duel, Robotron and Tempest 2000. (Almost expected to see Jeff Minter in the credits.) Pretty ironic, for a quick pick-up-and-play game, that I can't pull my hands off the controller after 3 hours (every time!).

Seriously, it is a great mass-destruction psychedelic-eye-candy twitch game. Highly recommended. :up:

Yeah - it's a good one. I didn't expect it to draw me in like it has having played Geo Wars on the 360 a fair amount. I like the tweaks to spawning of enemies and the variants of the levels. Good stuff!

darkside
02-25-08, 06:22 PM

This is on my short list of games to buy. I'm currently trying to catch up on my pile of unplayed games and either finish them or sell them. I have played through most of Mercury Meltdown and Marble Mania so it may be time to pick up Geometry Wars.

BTW, Kororinpa: Marble Mania is fantastic. I enjoyed Mercury Meltdown, but this game was much better. I am not a fan of tilt control in any way, but this game did it pretty well and I really never felt that frustrated with the control. I did have some issues with 360 turns of the remote, but there are very few required in the game. Very inspired level designs and a really cool soundtrack. I realize this game is nearly impossible to find now, but if you see it used or something I recommend it.

chess
02-25-08, 06:56 PM

Absolutely, and I'm even the rare guy who prefers the Wiimote control scheme. For some reason, I have a hard time wrapping my head around dual stick control.

Love this game...and it's a great value, believe it or not. Also really like the downloadable DS version of Retro Evolved.

CreatureX
02-25-08, 09:23 PM
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Strikers Charged
No More Heroes
GH3
The only two I would add to that splendid list are:

Zack and Wiki
Metroid Prime 3

Endless Ocean
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Geometry Wars Galaxies
ExciteTruck

Ravenous
02-25-08, 09:34 PM
Endless Ocean
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Geometry Wars Galaxies
ExciteTruck

Battalion Wars 2
Resident Evil UC

Michael Corvin
02-25-08, 10:09 PM
BTW, Kororinpa: Marble Mania is fantastic. I enjoyed Mercury Meltdown, but this game was much better.

Really. I think all the reviews out there felt the exact opposite.

darkside
02-25-08, 11:46 PM
Really. I think all the reviews out there felt the exact opposite.
I can see this as I really enjoyed them both and can see why Meltdown gets high scores.
It may have to do with the levels. Marble Mania has 60+ compared to the 150 in Mercury Meltdown. However, I found the level design in Marble Mania to be a lot more charming and enjoyable. I eventually got bored to death with all the split the mercury and color it and recombine and split and recolor and so on.

Mercury Meltdown is definitely the more challenging game overall so that is a plus, but doing the speed runs in Marble Mania when you unlock the fast marbles can really test you. Meltdown also has several cool multiplayer games to unlock so when you add up the total packages Meltdown has more.

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with Meltdown being a $20 game compared to the $40 they were charging for Kororinpa.

To me though it comes down to this. Mercury Meltdown is just a port of the PS2 game and while its Wii control works it is inferior to the analog stick control. Kororinpa was made for the Wii and you can tell it was designed from the ground up for tilt control. If I had to pick one I would side with Marble Mania, but how can you pass on Mercury Meltdown for $20?

BTW, for anyone curious the game ranking for Kororinpa is 71% compared to 78% for Mercury Meltdown.

Giantrobo
02-26-08, 01:34 AM
Does the Wii automatically update the News and Weather channels via wireless when in standby? It seems every time I turn the Wii to check those channels I get an error message and I have to hit "start" to get the latest info. What's the point of standby if this isn't the case?

slop101
02-26-08, 02:12 AM
I got the blue vagina and I went ahead with the touted update, but I don't notice anything different.

shumway
02-26-08, 03:36 AM
I have a 4 year old and I'm seriously thinking of getting her the new Go Diego Go game. It lets an adult use control 2 to assist the child during game play. She loves playing games, but at age 4 can get stuck and need help from time to time.
I didn't even realize there was a Diego game. My 4 year old son is the same way, plus Diego is his favorite now.

Michael Corvin
02-26-08, 07:27 AM
Does the Wii automatically update the News and Weather channels via wireless when in standby? It seems every time I turn the Wii to check those channels I get an error message and I have to hit "start" to get the latest info. What's the point of standby if this isn't the case?

Nope. That was a much hyped feature that hasn't happened yet. You still have to go to the store to update whatever needs updating.

It probably wouldn't be good updating on its own. You could wake up and check your Wii only to find out it had bricked on you overnight. Not a good situation.

steebo777
02-26-08, 08:48 AM
Nope. That was a much hyped feature that hasn't happened yet. You still have to go to the store to update whatever needs updating.

It probably wouldn't be good updating on its own. You could wake up and check your Wii only to find out it had bricked on you overnight. Not a good situation.
He's asking about the News/Weather channels not the system update. I wouldn't mind my system updating on it's own considering all of the Big N's updates thus far have been fine.

Yes it does automagically update, but if you don't log in to the channels every couple of weeks they won't update for some reason.

darkside
02-26-08, 11:48 AM
I didn't even realize there was a Diego game. My 4 year old son is the same way, plus Diego is his favorite now.
I will mention the only downside is the game is $39.99 on Wii and $29.99 on PS2. However, my daughter seems to do much better with a wiimote so I will probably get her that one. There is also a Dora game with the same features, but it seems to be PS2 only.

C-Mart
02-26-08, 12:10 PM

This game has been in my Wii since Christmas when I got it. I don't get much time to play, so the ability to pick it up and play fro 20 minutes or an hour then put it away is very nice. That said I am still in the middle of Mario Galaxy, but that's a game that needs at least an hour or two in one sitting just to feel that I've accomplished something.

msdmoney
02-26-08, 12:13 PM
I can see this as I really enjoyed them both and can see why Meltdown gets high scores.
It may have to do with the levels. Marble Mania has 60+ compared to the 150 in Mercury Meltdown. However, I found the level design in Marble Mania to be a lot more charming and enjoyable. I eventually got bored to death with all the split the mercury and color it and recombine and split and recolor and so on.

Mercury Meltdown is definitely the more challenging game overall so that is a plus, but doing the speed runs in Marble Mania when you unlock the fast marbles can really test you. Meltdown also has several cool multiplayer games to unlock so when you add up the total packages Meltdown has more.

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with Meltdown being a $20 game compared to the $40 they were charging for Kororinpa.

To me though it comes down to this. Mercury Meltdown is just a port of the PS2 game and while its Wii control works it is inferior to the analog stick control. Kororinpa was made for the Wii and you can tell it was designed from the ground up for tilt control. If I had to pick one I would side with Marble Mania, but how can you pass on Mercury Meltdown for $20?

BTW, for anyone curious the game ranking for Kororinpa is 71% compared to 78% for Mercury Meltdown.

I haven't played Mercury Meltdown yet, but I thought Kororinpa Marble Mania was fantastic. It reminded me of playing the Labyrinth game when I was younger.
http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/labyrinth500.jpg

I think it is definitely a game worth checking out, there is a very tactile feel to the controls, the Wiimote gives you a lot of control over the marble with even the slightest movements.

Krayzie
02-26-08, 01:09 PM
I also loved Kororinpa Marble Mania. If you're lucky, your local Circuit City may still have a copy for $16.96.

Quack
02-26-08, 01:22 PM
I just picked up some Wii component cables, should I be seeing a big difference? I just got a 47 inch full 1080p LCD. I hooked up the wii with the component cables, went into settings and switched it over to hdtv...what else would I need to do if anything? Thanks.

pinata242
02-26-08, 01:46 PM
There won't be a huge difference, honestly. The best you're going to get out of it is 480p @ 16:9. I believe over the composite you could get 480i @ 16:9. So it's just a matter of progressive over interlaced and your display was probably doing a decent job deinterlacing that 480i signal anyway.

You can at least be confident that you're now giving the display the best the Wii can give it.

steebo777
02-26-08, 05:24 PM
To me it was a huge difference. You're going from composite to component, which is the big factor. Interlaced to progressive isn't the thing makes much of a difference.

mrpayroll
02-26-08, 05:57 PM
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/02/26/text-chat-confirmed-for-mario-kart-wii/

Text chat confirmed for Mario Kart Wii

Posted Feb 26th 2008 4:30PM by Chris Greenhough
Filed under: News, Nintendo Wi-Fi

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2008/02/no-voice-chat-in-mk-26feb08.jpg

With 12-player races, weekly challenges, uploadable/downloadable ghosts, tournaments, and even a dedicated Mario Kart channel, online play in Mario Kart Wii sounds impressively complete. Yet here's something you won't find when you first jump online: voice chat support. Rather, we'll all be communicating via text chat, with Nintendo's European arm confirming on its site: "You can create rooms for friends to join and even text chat while you're waiting for other racers."

This is hardly surprising. Time and again, Nintendo has refused to include voice chat in its games, often citing the personal security and wellbeing of players. But surely the ability to chat to registered friends isn't asking too much? Any of you happen to think Nintendo is being overly cautious?

Chris

Groucho
02-26-08, 06:01 PM
Text chat? No thanks. Like I don't crash enough. :lol:

Quack
02-26-08, 06:29 PM
Wat r u talkin abot, lol thats the most fun

Quack
02-26-08, 06:31 PM
To me it was a huge difference. You're going from composite to component, which is the big factor. Interlaced to progressive isn't the thing makes much of a difference.

I guess I'm not really sure if I notice the difference at all....Maybe because the TV is so big at 47"? I'm not sure :-\

Demontooth
02-26-08, 07:50 PM
I think not having 12 year olds calling me gay and the n-word isn't really all that bad.

Giantrobo
02-27-08, 03:41 AM
He's asking about the News/Weather channels not the system update. I wouldn't mind my system updating on it's own considering all of the Big N's updates thus far have been fine.

Yes it does automagically update, but if you don't log in to the channels every couple of weeks they won't update for some reason.

yeah that's what I was getting at. I don't play the Wii that often so I'm sure that's part of the "problem". But I keep it in stand by 24/7 so I don't see why those channels can't always update on their own so when I get on the Wii, they're ready to go.

PixyJunket
02-27-08, 08:58 AM
I think not having 12 year olds calling me gay and the n-word isn't really all that bad.Quoted for great justice.

mrpayroll
02-27-08, 02:04 PM
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/02/27/mario-kart-battles-will-support-eight/

Mario Kart battles will support eight
Posted Feb 27th 2008 12:45PM by Candace Savino

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2008/02/eightplayers_cs_0227.jpg

If you're anything like this blogger, you might actually enjoy Mario Kart's "Battle" mode more than the racing itself. Whether that's how you roll or not, though, you'll still probably find the above picture enticing.

Why, you ask? Well, for the fact that shows us an 8-player Battle mode! (Count the players in the bottom-right map.)

Sure, you'll have to type and not talk trash to the friends you're playing with, but when it comes to Battle mode, the more the merrier. While it may not support 12 players, eight is more than enough to keep us on our toes while we try to hang on to our precious balloons.

I CANNOT wait for this game!

Chris

Groucho
02-27-08, 02:06 PM
I think not having 12 year olds calling me gay and the n-word isn't really all that bad.No kidding. I get that enough from my own kids. I don't need it from some Internet stranger.

mrpayroll
02-27-08, 02:53 PM
No kidding. I get that enough from my own kids. I don't need it from some Internet stranger.

It must be good times in the Groucho household!

Chris

superdeluxe
02-27-08, 03:11 PM
2008 will be a good year for Wii Owners. :D

SunMonkey
02-27-08, 03:21 PM
Has anyone had or heard of problems with the GC memory card being currupted while playing GC games on the Wii? I have had it happen twice now and wonder if it is my card or my Wii causing the problem.

PixyJunket
02-27-08, 03:28 PM
Is it a third party memory card?

DVDChris
02-27-08, 04:34 PM
I heard the Wii has trouble with the 1019 memory cards. Best to copy over to a 251 beforehand if you have one.

ckw4b
02-27-08, 05:43 PM
I finally broke down and started looking for a Wii. I went to the Best Buy and Target in Hollywood and asked they had any Wiis in stock.

Both salesmen looked at me like I had a second head growing out of my shoulders. The Best Buy guy told me that the Wiis fly off the shelf the moment they arrive. The Target guy told me he doesn't remember the last time a Wii was available since so many people have rainchecks on the machines.

Any suggestions as to where to purchase one in LA?

CreatureX
02-27-08, 05:44 PM
No kidding. I get that enough from my own kids. I don't need it from some Internet stranger. rotfl

Demontooth
02-27-08, 06:23 PM
I went into a Wal-Mart yesterday and they had 16 Wii's. I just kinda stood and stared because I was so shocked.

Abe.
02-27-08, 06:46 PM
Man, I just got done playing No More Heroes... talk about a freaking awesome game!

Giantrobo
02-27-08, 07:42 PM
2008 will be a good year for Wii Owners. :D

I hope so. I've been "Meh" about my purchase for some time now. :(

SunMonkey
02-27-08, 09:11 PM
I heard the Wii has trouble with the 1019 memory cards. Best to copy over to a 251 beforehand if you have one.
Yeah, the 1019 is what I am having troubles with. And it is a Nintendo brand card. I have a 251, too, so I guess I will play off of that from now on.

zekeburger1979
02-27-08, 10:32 PM
I got 2 t-shirts tonight at Kohl's as part of a 2 for $20 sale they were having. One had Link on it and the other had the Wii logo on it. Very cool!

SoonerDoc
02-28-08, 12:52 AM
interesting on the 1up podcast, shane was saying that reggie told him right now since japan has smash bros. they are getting the lion's share of the wiis produced. he said that when smash bros, wii fit and mario kart are released in the states, that we will be getting a greater percentage of the wiis produced and them same for europe when those games are released there...

Michael Corvin
02-28-08, 07:13 AM
I got 2 t-shirts tonight at Kohl's as part of a 2 for $20 sale they were having. One had Link on it and the other had the Wii logo on it. Very cool!

:lol: I just bought a shirt there other night. I saw the Wii one. The one I really wanted they didn't have my size, it just said "Schrute Farms Beets" on the front.

kneijst1
02-28-08, 08:13 AM
I finally broke down and started looking for a Wii. I went to the Best Buy and Target in Hollywood and asked they had any Wiis in stock.

Both salesmen looked at me like I had a second head growing out of my shoulders. The Best Buy guy told me that the Wiis fly off the shelf the moment they arrive. The Target guy told me he doesn't remember the last time a Wii was available since so many people have rainchecks on the machines.

Any suggestions as to where to purchase one in LA?

Gamestop on Wednesdays and/or Thursdays, plus try signing up on www.wiialerts.com.

PerryD
02-28-08, 09:55 AM
reggie told him right now since japan has smash bros. they are getting the lion's share of the wiis produced. he said that when smash bros, wii fit and mario kart are released in the states, that we will be getting a greater percentage of the wiis produced
I'd have to say Nintendo is handling the Wii almost perfectly. When I heard they were ramping up production to 2m Wiis per month, I didn't think they could sell at that rate. But to stagger new releases and have the inventory follow the releases is brilliant.

The only thing I would change at this point is to raise the qualifications for the Seal of Approval like back in the old days, and get rid of these crappy games. I think overall games will sell much better and be more profitable for those that make the cut, and force developers to spend more time making a good game.

Michael Corvin
02-28-08, 10:02 AM
The only thing I would change at this point is to raise the qualifications for the Seal of Approval like back in the old days, and get rid of these crappy games. I think overall games will sell much better and be more profitable for those that make the cut, and force developers to spend more time making a good game.

I agree. They've used that to their advantage to build up their catalog which was smart, but they should definitely tighten the reigns now that they are on top.

PixyJunket
02-28-08, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately, that's kind of what pissed a lot of the third parties back in the day.

Demontooth
02-28-08, 11:12 AM
:lol: I just bought a shirt there other night. I saw the Wii one. The one I really wanted they didn't have my size, it just said "Schrute Farms Beets" on the front.

Be careful with those shirts...I bought the Halo 3 shirt from Kohls over the weekend and it shrunk into a sexy half shirt.

Michael Corvin
02-28-08, 11:30 AM
Be careful with those shirts...I bought the Halo 3 shirt from Kohls over the weekend and it shrunk into a sexy half shirt.

Yeah. My wife accidentally shrunk it. I don't put any of my shirts in the dryer but that one did. Needless to say I haven't worn it yet. Put it on and it was a tad too tight for my tastes.

mrpayroll
02-28-08, 04:16 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/wii-freeloader-gives-you-region-free-gaming-without-the-mods/

Wii FreeLoader gives you region-free gaming without the mods

Posted Feb 28th 2008 2:50PM by Paul Miller

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/02/wii-freeloader-1.jpg

This one has been in the works for a while, but it looks like you can finally pick up your very own region-free enabler for the Wii for $19.99. Wii FreeLoader allows you to play any GameCube or Wii game from any region on your Wii. You just stick the FreeLoader disc into the console, let it spin up, eject the disc and stick in your title of choice -- like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, for instance, or some cooking-related title. Since there's no hardware modding required, this one theoretically won't void your warranty, but who's to say how Nintendo will treat you if you somehow break your Wii with it, and there's always the fear that Nintendo will hit your Wii with a mandatory software update that breaks FreeLoader, so proceed with caution. Or don't, so much confusing entertainment awaits you!

I believe this is okay to post.

Chris

PixyJunket
02-28-08, 04:20 PM
Shit, I still have some Cube imports lingering.. but the pivotal one (Mr. Driller Drill Land) didn't work properly with the Cube FreeLoader so I don't know about this. If I can get confirmation that Mr. Driller doesn't erase memory cards, I'll probably grab one and give my Cube to someone.

darkside
02-28-08, 08:33 PM
I believe this is okay to post.

Chris
Should be since it isn't a piracy tool. Region coding is bullshit anyway, but that is another discussion.

tanman
02-29-08, 12:42 AM
Yeah, the 1019 is what I am having troubles with. And it is a Nintendo brand card. I have a 251, too, so I guess I will play off of that from now on.

Really? I had not heard about this problem at all. Is it a universal problem. If I use it in there will it erase it? Because I just bought like two 1019 card on clearance at target so I could condense my 251 cards. That sucks if I can't use them.

DVDChris
02-29-08, 02:23 PM
I've read a couple instances over at CAG. I don't want to chance it especially after all the time put in to Smash Bros. on GameCube.

1019s on Clearance at Target? I'll have to check it out.

SunMonkey
02-29-08, 07:53 PM
Really? I had not heard about this problem at all. Is it a universal problem. If I use it in there will it erase it? Because I just bought like two 1019 card on clearance at target so I could condense my 251 cards. That sucks if I can't use them.
I only wish I had heard about it before I lost all my saves. :(

Ravenous
03-03-08, 05:09 PM
Looks like the only game Im getting till Mario Kart (whats the due date for this BTW?) is House of the Dead! I can FINALLY use my TRU $25 GC!

Michael Corvin
03-03-08, 09:34 PM
Looks like the only game Im getting till Mario Kart (whats the due date for this BTW?) is House of the Dead! I can FINALLY use my TRU $25 GC!

Okami!!

superdeluxe
03-04-08, 02:28 AM
read a report where it said that 38% of gamers were girls, and most of those girls were playing the Wii and the DS.

steebo777
03-04-08, 09:14 AM
read a report where it said that 38% of gamers were girls, and most of those girls were playing the Wii and the DS.
Why do you think I have the Wii and DS... great way to pick up chicks !
OH!
:hump:

superdeluxe
03-04-08, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know which stores are having the best specials for SSBB? (Besides circuit city's 10$ GC, and gamestop 9.99$ with 2 qualified trade ins)

steebo777
03-04-08, 10:57 AM
That's all I know, but the SSBB thread might be a better place to check it out.

emanon
03-04-08, 11:06 AM
Just shipped my Wii back to Nintendo for RMA work. Figures - right before the release of SSBB. :(

Hopefully they turn it around pretty quickly.

Michael Corvin
03-04-08, 02:00 PM
Looks like Okami was just bumped to April 15th from it's March 25th target.

PixyJunket
03-04-08, 02:02 PM
Looks like Okami was just bumped to April 15th from it's March 25th target.Smart move. They should keep it far away from Brawl.

steebo777
03-04-08, 02:34 PM
Cool by me, gives me more time with Brawl.

mrpayroll
03-05-08, 12:56 PM
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/03/05/more-online-details-for-mario-kart-wii-and-its-channel/

More online details for Mario Kart Wii and its Channel

Posted Mar 5th 2008 9:45AM by JC Fletcher

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.nintendowiifanboy.com/media/2008/03/luigicircuit0305082.jpg

We didn't really expect Mario Kart Wii to have much in common with Wii Fit other than sales, but that's the approach Nintendo is taking with the kart racer's online features. Nintendo previously announced that Mario Kart Wii will use a "Mario Kart Channel" that, like the Wii Fit Channel, stays accessible from the Wii Menu even when the disc is not in the drive. You can use this Channel to view and download ghost data of other players and race against them (presumably you'll need the disc for the racing parts). Nintendo has released additional information about this Channel which reveals just how useful and smart their detached Channels can be.

The Channel lets you register friends and check their online status (awesome), look at rankings, and view the current Competition. What's a Competition? "Nintendo will on a regular basis invite players to speedy challenges similar to the Missions of Mario Kart DS." It kind of sounds like Nintendo is actually encouraging online play for once.

Chris

CreatureX
03-05-08, 01:08 PM
The Mario Kart channel sounds really cool! :D

Chris_D
03-05-08, 08:43 PM
So can 3rd parties get their own channels for their games?

CreatureX
03-05-08, 09:47 PM
Saw this over at Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/363868/kk-slider-for-reals):

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/kksliderforreals.jpg

rotfl

jdpatri
03-06-08, 09:39 AM
That's fantastic. :)

steebo777
03-06-08, 11:12 AM
Bad ass about the MK channel!

mrpayroll
03-06-08, 11:14 AM
Saw this over at Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/363868/kk-slider-for-reals):

http://kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/kksliderforreals.jpg

rotfl

That's Animal <s>Crossing</s> abuse!

Chris

Goldberg74
03-07-08, 11:32 PM
My little brother is visiting from Brazil (he works for the State Department) and asked me to look for a Wii for him. He has searched high and low in Utah trying to find one.

He asked me on Monday, and I've called a few stores everyday this week to see if I could find one. No luck.

So tonight, I stopped by Best Buy (281 & 1604) to pick up Beowulf and my Mom called me while in the store to chat. My brother is going home tomorrow, so I figured I'd look.

Nothing.

It was close to closing time, and I had paid for the movie, and as I walked out the door, there was a stack of Wiis right by the front door next to the "welcome guy's" booth. I asked if they were for sale or just dummy boxes.

They were real.

So I bought one.

I won't be able to get it to him before he leaves, but his wife is leaving a little while after him, so she's going to take it back with her.

He asked for suggestions of what else to get, so I'm going to get him Wii Play (w/ Wiimote), SSBB, Mario Party 8, and an extra controller and nunchuck.

If he has the cash on hand, I also told him to pick up Endless Ocean and Mario Galaxy.

He was so happy! He had given up hope.

That's the third time in three months, that I have just happened to find one when I wasn't looking.

Anyone else looking for a Wii? ;)

SunMonkey
03-08-08, 08:38 AM
Will it work in Brazil (power issues/plugs)? Congrats on finding one, especially on short notice.

Goldberg74
03-08-08, 02:06 PM
Will it work in Brazil (power issues/plugs)? Congrats on finding one, especially on short notice.He says that it will. Some other Americans that he works with have them.

Oh, and the funny thing is that I went to Costco this morning and they had a bunch of bundles there (Wii + WiiPlay + SMGalaxy + Nunchuck = $349.99), so I bought that one and am taking the other one back to Best Buy later this week... unless someone else would like me to sell it to them.

db27
03-08-08, 10:53 PM
He says that it will. Some other Americans that he works with have them.

Oh, and the funny thing is that I went to Costco this morning and they had a bunch of bundles there (Wii + WiiPlay + SMGalaxy + Nunchuck = $349.99), so I bought that one and am taking the other one back to Best Buy later this week... unless someone else would like me to sell it to them.

wow, that is a sweet bundle!

You could probably throw that wii on craigslist and make $50 on it easily.

Michael Corvin
03-09-08, 09:34 AM

that's only a $20 savings. But it is a great bundle at least, containing everything you need to get started.

Ravenous
03-09-08, 08:33 PM

Not suprised, I seem to have alot of luck seeing these on shelves (Naturally except the one week I was ready to buy one. Once I did, again on the shelves....)

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 12:35 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17826

March 12, 2008

Nintendo Details Forthcoming Mario Kart Wii
Nintendo has officially announced that the latest in its seminal Mario Kart series, Mario Kart Wii, will be released on April 27th in North America, with its own exclusive Wii channel, Mii and online support, and the Wii Wheel peripheral.

First announced at E3 of 2007, Nintendo says the game will include online support via the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection for multiplayer races of up to 12 players. The game will include 16 new and 16 classic courses, motorbike as well as Kart races, and Mii support for personalized drivers, and will support a number of controller configurations, including the Classic Controller and GameCube controller.

Nintendo has also announced the addition of a new Wii channel to accompany the launch of the game -- the aptly titled Mario Kart Wii Channel. In it, Nintendo will track and support the online community of players with tournaments, worldwide rankings, online friends lists, and downloadable ghost data.

Said marketing executive VP Cammie Dunaway, "Mario Kart Wii transforms one of our most popular franchises into a race that every member of the family can join. Driving with the Wii Wheel could not be more natural, and this is one place where speeding is encouraged."

POSTED: 06.04AM PST, 03/12/08 - Brandon Boyer

:clap:

That's a couple of days earlier than we were originally told.

Chris

pinata242
03-12-08, 12:46 PM
Awesome.

What are they holding for the holiday season, I wonder? I can't remember anything else major in development. When was the last time we got Mario, Smash, and Kart in a 6 month window?

That was rhetorical ;)

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 01:07 PM
The way things are going we are probably looking at Wii shortages well into early next year.

Chris

pinata242
03-12-08, 01:09 PM
I saw a Wii in the wild today for the first time in a while. Just a lone one sitting in the Target display.

Between SSBB, MK, and Wii Fit, there won't be a Wii to be had until Thanksgiving, I'm sure.

I just want to know what software they have lined up for then. Hardware shortages haven't stopped the (recent) flow of games so I don't see what one has to do with the other.

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 02:23 PM
I saw a Wii in the wild today for the first time in a while. Just a lone one sitting in the Target display.

Between SSBB, MK, and Wii Fit, there won't be a Wii to be had until Thanksgiving, I'm sure.

I just want to know what software they have lined up for then. Hardware shortages haven't stopped the (recent) flow of games so I don't see what one has to do with the other.

I just don't think they need any big games for the holiday season since it seems Wii's will be hard to come by until after the holidays.

Chris

Michael Corvin
03-12-08, 02:44 PM
There are still a good number of franchises to trot out for their Wii debut.

Waverace
F-Zero
Pikmin
Pilotwings
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Mario golf/tennis

and god-willing a Kid Icarus game.

PixyJunket
03-12-08, 03:08 PM
Luigi's Mansion would be brilliant with the Wii remote. BRILLIANT.

pinata242
03-12-08, 03:16 PM
I long for Pikmin. Luigi's Mansion in an over-the-shoulder view with flashlight would be epic. Kid Icarus would be awesome.

I suppose E3 may see some announcements, but you'd think there'd be rumblings.

However, even those 9 you listed pale in comparison to the SMG/SSBB/MK/Fit (expected) combo. Animal Crossing will have it's place, sure, especially if they psuedo-MMO it.

But I'm just not aware of anything announced yet, that's my whole concern. They could have a ton of surprises for all I know.

Michael Corvin
03-12-08, 03:38 PM
But I'm just not aware of anything announced yet, that's my whole concern. They could have a ton of surprises for all I know.

That's what I think. I think both Nintendo and MS are playing things close to the vest and we'll see some surprises in the coming months.

Ravenous
03-12-08, 04:06 PM
Anyone picking up House of the Dead?

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 04:29 PM
I cannot wait for Animal Crossing!

Chris

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 05:03 PM
After exhaustive research I think I've found the holiday Mega Seller:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/03/12/eidos-confirms-wacky-races-for-wii/

Eidos confirms Wacky Races for Wii
Posted Mar 12th 2008 3:00PM by Chris Greenhough

Gamefly was right again! Earlier this week, we spied a page on the online rental service for a Wacky Races game on the Wii and DS. Sure enough, Eidos confirmed Wacky Races: Crash & Dash this morning, and dished out the first information and media in the process.

Neither the trailer or the screens feature anything in the way of traditional behind-the-car gameplay, but we do know that there's 24 tracks, and multiplayer for four racers. During races, players collect "Wacky Widgets" to gain "Wacky Powers," which we presume allow you to do stuff like thrash your opponents with giant mallets (or something similarly zany).

All the official characters will feature, which means Peter Perfect in his Turbo Terrific, the Ant Hill Mob in their Bullet Proof Bomb, Penelope Pitstop, and, of course, Dick Dastardly and his s******ing hound, Muttley. Eidos is planning a June release for the title, though surely this needed to appear two months before Mario Kart Wii, rather than two months after, to stand a chance? Mind you, for what it's worth, this blogger does have reasonably fond memories of playing the Dreamcast game. It'd be great if this could become a viable alternative to Nintendo's own racer!

Click on the link for a YouTube video of the game.

:lol: Gotta love the forum censors.

Chris

pinata242
03-12-08, 05:08 PM
Obviously the return of Wacky Races is a major boon for the industry, it isn't a first-party Nintendo game. That's what we're talking about, what the big N has up its sleeve.

DVDChris
03-12-08, 05:30 PM
After exhaustive research I think I've found the holiday Mega Seller:

Click on the link for a YouTube video of the game.

:lol: Gotta love the forum censors.

Chris

Where's the YouTube link? I must see more.

mrpayroll
03-12-08, 05:45 PM
Where's the YouTube link? I must see more.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/03/12/eidos-confirms-wacky-races-for-wii/

Sorry! :blush:

I should lose my Ace Reporter license for this! :(

Chris

Goldberg74
03-12-08, 07:02 PM
Obviously the return of Wacky Races is a major boon for the industry, it isn't a first-party Nintendo game. That's what we're talking about, what the big N has up its sleeve.
I still play Cel Damage... so this will be a welcomed addition to my library!

cerial442
03-12-08, 09:10 PM
Anyone picking up House of the Dead?

I'm planning on it soon. I have the Nyko Perfect Shot, so I'm excited to try it out.

MadonnasManOne
03-12-08, 09:36 PM
I'm stoked for Mario Kart Wii!

I'm also still stoked for Super Smash Bros. Brawl! Yeah, I still haven't gotten the chance to go out and buy the game. I got off work this past Friday, walked out the door, where the cold air hit my lungs, and wham, have been sick, since. A guy I work with was sick this past Wednesday. As he was leaving, he told me to wipe down the phones, the desk, and everything else, because he had been coughing. So, I did as he suggested, and also sprayed Lysol. It did nothing to help. Turns out, he had the flu. I now have the flu. I went to the doctor, yesterday, because I thought I was dying. They did the little nose swab test, and it came back positive for flu. So, here I am, stuck at home, and can't even get out to get the game I've been waiting years for! I'm out of work for the week, and I'm just laying here, trying to get better, while I know everyone in the world is playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Hopefully, I'll be able to get out this weekend and pick up a copy, providing that I am feeling better. I better be feeling better, with all of the pills I was prescribed, including Tamiflu.

Anyway, enough of me complaining. I hope you are all enjoying Brawl. I hope to join you all in battle, soon.

Krayzie
03-13-08, 06:42 AM
I picked up Super Smash Brawl Sunday morning and I still haven't opened it. Damn WoW... I am also planning on picking up HOD today or tomorrow. They need to release a virtua cop 1 / 2 / 3 collection as well as a Point Blank collection... Hell they need to release that Police 911 game!

mrpayroll
03-13-08, 11:54 AM
Trying to play Super Smash Bros Brawl live is a hit and miss affair, mostly miss. If you're lucky to connect with 1, 2 or 3 players, when the game finally begins, it slows to a crawl and you're not able to finish the game.

Chris

CreatureX
03-13-08, 01:22 PM
Cool little preview video of Mario Kart Wii from X-Play.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/20715/Preview_Mario_Kart_Wii.html

I can't wait! :D

Baron Of Hell
03-13-08, 02:21 PM

I have the dreamcast version. Hard but fun game.

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 03:25 PM
So I'm about to go to Toys 'R Us and get Super Smash Bros.

Should I get as the bonus half off game Ravin Rabbids 2 or Mario & Sonic at the Olympics? I'm into puzzle games.

steebo777
03-13-08, 03:32 PM
Cool little preview video of Mario Kart Wii from X-Play.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/20715/Preview_Mario_Kart_Wii.html

I can't wait! :D
:hump:

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 05:31 PM
I picked up Super Smash Bros and Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 for $80 after tax and got Super Paper Mario free (long story), so I got some gaming to do :D

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 06:13 PM
Paper Mario is sooo much fun :D I downloaded a game save with everything open and obtained and 105 HP, so now I'm going through all the levels. Just finished 1-3.

Jeremy517
03-13-08, 06:30 PM
It is so much fun... so you cheat and not play through the game yourself? Errr... OK.

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 06:44 PM
Because I suck at video games but still like to play them. Level 1 was a challenge with 105 hit points, can you imagine it with 20? Granted I never fell below 85 or so, but still.

GoVegan
03-13-08, 06:56 PM
Because I suck at video games but still like to play them. Level 1 was a challenge with 105 hit points, can you imagine it with 20? Granted I never fell below 85 or so, but still.
105-20=85

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like you would have possibly died once. That doesn't exactly sound like you suck.

On a side note, I didn't realize it was even possible to transfer other's saved game files to the Wii.

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 07:04 PM
105-20=85

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but it sounds like you would have possibly died once. That doesn't exactly sound like you suck.

On a side note, I didn't realize it was even possible to transfer other's saved game files to the Wii.
I know, but I hate dying :D I like to just walk through the stages. That's fun to me. I've been transferring saves from day 1. Wario Games (everything unlocked from day 1), Mario Party (same), Carnival Games (same plus bunch of tickets), etc. Waiting for a save for Rayman Raving Rabbids 2.

All you do is download the save, put it on an SD card, then transfer the save over. You may not be able to use your Miis as in Carnival Games (I have to play as the guy who created the save).

I'm not in game playing for the competition, just for time-wasting fun :D

Michael Corvin
03-13-08, 08:59 PM
Yeah, saves are great for the party games. I've never understood the line of thinking that you have to unlock games before you can play 'em. They should all be open from the outset.

GatorDeb
03-13-08, 09:08 PM
And with my level of skill I can guarantee that I wouldn't unlock all games in Mario Party, for instance, so "cheating" allows me to enjoy the whole game, therefore giving it tremendous longevity.

CreatureX
03-13-08, 10:34 PM
And with my level of skill I can guarantee that I wouldn't unlock all games in Mario Party, for instance, so "cheating" allows me to enjoy the whole game, therefore giving it tremendous longevity. Plus some games require way too much time to unlock some things. F-Zero GX I'm looking at you. :lol:

GatorDeb
03-14-08, 01:01 PM
I was surprised yesterday when I opened a package and it was Zack and Wiki - fast eBay shipping! I was all ready to play when I got called in to work because someone felt sick (I could have said no) so I had to leave it behind. This morning I get home ready to play and Decker makes me get out of the house and get Folklore PS3 for $15. Grr. Back home now, and I can finally enjoy it :D

Michael Ballack
03-14-08, 04:05 PM
I lucked out yesterday and received a Wii as an early birthday present. Can anyone recommend a Component Cable? Should I get the Official Nintendo one or is the cheaper 3rd party cables just as good? Thanks.

pinata242
03-14-08, 04:12 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2

GatorDeb
03-14-08, 07:22 PM
Now that Michael asked that question, that means the Wii doesn't come with component out of the box? I have mine with composite but I just assumed that I had misplaced the component and was going to look for it. On a 1080p 46" HDTV, does it make a huge difference?

BTW I'm at the part of Zack and Wiki when you're falling from the plane and it's kind of boring so far... hope it picks up soon :(

mrpayroll
03-14-08, 07:37 PM
Now that Michael asked that question, that means the Wii doesn't come with component out of the box? I have mine with composite but I just assumed that I had misplaced the component and was going to look for it. On a 1080p 46" HDTV, does it make a huge difference?

BTW I'm at the part of Zack and Wiki when you're falling from the plane and it's kind of boring so far... hope it picks up soon :(

A big difference. I would order a cable right now. You will be amazed at the difference. Night and day!

Chris

Goldberg74
03-14-08, 10:58 PM
Picked up SSBB and Mario/Sonic at TRU today.

Haven't had a chance to play them yet.

:(

trebor00
03-15-08, 09:29 AM

Falling from the plane in the beginning of the game, right? The game does start out pretty slow, but it picks up once the puzzles start increasing in difficulty.

Michael Ballack
03-15-08, 10:14 AM
I ordered the monoprice cables that Pinata242 suggested. I've heard good things about monoprice cables before this, but I've never ordered from them before. Anyone else receieve Wii Component cables from them? Are they good enough? It seems too good to be true at that price. :) I guess the worse case scenario is that if I don't like them, I'm only out 7 bucks and I can always go get the official ones.

Michael Corvin
03-15-08, 10:30 AM

No offense but as someone who uses game saves to get through games, you're going to hate Zack and Wiki.

CreatureX
03-15-08, 11:17 AM
I ordered the monoprice cables that Pinata242 suggested. I've heard good things about monoprice cables before this, but I've never ordered from them before. Anyone else receieve Wii Component cables from them? Are they good enough? It seems too good to be true at that price. :) I guess the worse case scenario is that if I don't like them, I'm only out 7 bucks and I can always go get the official ones. I purchased my Wii component cable from them and have been 100% satisfied. :)

Goldberg74
03-15-08, 12:05 PM
No offense but as someone who uses game saves to get through games, you're going to hate Zack and Wiki.
I'll second that.

A completed game save for Z&W doesn't do you any good.

That said, it's one of the best games for the Wii that is out right now. I recommend it to everyone getting a Wii.

tlwizard
03-15-08, 03:47 PM
Just saw over at CAG that TRU is offering a buy 1 Wii game get $20 off another (excluding titles $19.99 and less). I think this effectively means you can get two $30 titles for $40.

I think I might pick up Brawl and No More Heroes and then use my $25 certificate from Galaxy, so sorta getting one of them free.

darkside
03-15-08, 04:52 PM
Just saw over at CAG that TRU is offering a buy 1 Wii game get $20 off another (excluding titles $19.99 and less). I think this effectively means you can get two $30 titles for $40.

I think I might pick up Brawl and No More Heroes and then use my $25 certificate from Galaxy, so sorta getting one of them free.
Thanks for the headsup this is exactly what I'm going to do. I keep forgetting to use that freaking gift card. I'll probably grab Brawl and Geometry Wars

jdodd
03-15-08, 06:38 PM
TRU website says 50% off a game if you buy SSBB, is that not the case in-store?

Goldberg74
03-15-08, 07:02 PM
TRU website says 50% off a game if you buy SSBB, is that not the case in-store?It is available both online and in the B&M... but the 50% is limited to the following titles:

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (would be $25)
Bee Movie (would be $20)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (would be $25)
Zack & Wiki (would be $15)
The Spiderwick Chronicles (would be $25)
My Sims (would be $25)
SSBB Guide (would be $10)

But online you can also choose from 9 other titles (http://www.toysrus.com/searchHandler/index.jsp?searchId=3054714&type=effect&promoId=3054714):

Shrek the Third (would be $10)
Transformers (would be $15)
Barbie: Island Princess (would be $20)
Spiderman: Friend of Foe (would be $20)
Hot Wheels: Beat That (would be $20)
Dancing with the Stars (would be $20)
Monster Jam (would be $25)
Tony Hawk: Proving Ground (would be $20)

This sale ends today.... the "Buy One Get One at 50%" starts tomorrow.

GatorDeb
03-15-08, 07:34 PM
Re Zack and Wiki - is it hard because of figuring stuff out or is it hard because of dexterity? I.e. I have no problem with things like Picross but I've never beaten a Zelda game. If it's brain-related, I'm up for a challenge any day :D

CreatureX
03-15-08, 10:12 PM

I think I might pick up Brawl and No More Heroes and then use my $25 certificate from Galaxy, so sorta getting one of them free. I think I'll be picking up 'House of the Dead 2&3' and 'Endless Ocean' for $40! :D

Goldberg74
03-15-08, 10:40 PM
Re Zack and Wiki - is it hard because of figuring stuff out or is it hard because of dexterity?
Both. :D

SmackDaddy
03-16-08, 10:12 PM
Finally saw my first Wii's in-store since launch day. Saw 3 in the case at a Target. As I was leaving I noticed one was being purchased. When I saw them in the case I thought they were just display boxes. I overheard the guy who was making the purchase say the same thing.

On another note, I may stop by a TRU and see if I can get Z&W and Eternal Ocean.

darkside
03-16-08, 11:07 PM
Did the ToysRUs thing and picked up Brawl and Geometry Wars. Unfortunately I'm liking neither of them. Geometry Wars is a control issue. The classic controller has these annoying notches in the sticks (why Nintendo does this on their analog sticks I'll never understand) and those are driving me crazy when trying to fire and move accurately. Brawl I'm just not getting into. I'm hoping both get better as I play them more.

slop101
03-17-08, 01:27 AM
Did the ToysRUs thing and picked up Brawl and Geometry Wars. Unfortunately I'm liking neither of them. Geometry Wars is a control issue. The classic controller has these annoying notches in the sticks (why Nintendo does this on their analog sticks I'll never understand) and those are driving me crazy when trying to fire and move accurately.Try using the wii-remote control option. It works a lot better than you might think.

mrpayroll
03-17-08, 11:32 AM
Finally saw my first Wii's in-store since launch day. Saw 3 in the case at a Target. As I was leaving I noticed one was being purchased. When I saw them in the case I thought they were just display boxes. I overheard the guy who was making the purchase say the same thing.

On another note, I may stop by a TRU and see if I can get Z&W and Eternal Ocean.

My mom's first husband (82 years old this year) was looking for a Wii and he found one yesterday at the Target in Sand City, CA. He said they had 30 of them! :eek:

Count them as one of the older generation that is drawn to the Wii and the physical games that they have to offer.

Chris

drmoze
03-17-08, 05:38 PM
Did the ToysRUs thing and picked up Brawl and Geometry Wars. Unfortunately I'm liking neither of them. Geometry Wars is a control issue. The classic controller has these annoying notches in the sticks (why Nintendo does this on their analog sticks I'll never understand) and those are driving me crazy when trying to fire and move accurately. Brawl I'm just not getting into. I'm hoping both get better as I play them more.

You don't have to go all the way to the edges to move/aim in GW. The thumbsticks have a lot of travel, so it's easy to use smaller directional motions and avoid the notches if you want. Works for me. :shrug:

tlwizard
03-17-08, 09:05 PM
Picked up Brawl and No More Heroes (grabbed the last copy at Times Square). $64 bucks after taxes and GC.

Played NMH for a little bit. Anyone with this game having 16:9 issues? Mine's not filling up the screen (like Mario and Sonic) but the resolution looks way off as if it isn't upscaling or something properly. I know they're going for a specific look, but it seems really soft, muddy, and almost seems like it's tearing. But it's still a lot of fun.

Gonna have to try Brawl after I get a bit more work work done.

emanon
03-17-08, 09:20 PM
Arrrgh...I sent my Wii in for repair about two weeks ago - the drive was becoming loud, and I was getting occasional (although infrequent) disc read errors. Got it back today, plugged it in, and threw in my new copy of SSBB. Immediately sounded like an airplane taking off, and instead of loading, I got an error message.

Tried loading several other discs, and nothing worked.

Just went ahead and did the Expedited Repair option they're offering for SSBB-aflicted consoles. (figured I could get away with this since, in fact, my SSBB doesn't work). This option allows me to print a FedEx 2-Day label, instead of waiting for them to mail me a UPS ground shippng label, so it should take a week or more off of the process. I also went ahead and sent them a nasty email expressing my dissatisfaction.

manicsounds
03-18-08, 02:26 AM
I'm still surprised that "Mario Kart Wii" is to be released on 4/10 in Japan and 4/29 in America, but still, no official site, nothing on the Wii Channel yet.

But this image got me excited:
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mhegspqgL._SS400_.jpg

Baron Of Hell
03-18-08, 12:14 PM
You know those Miis aren't real. Getting all hot for them isn't healthy.

RichC2
03-18-08, 03:13 PM
The release of SSBB should have these systems flying off the shelves, I imagine it'll be hard to find one on shelves at this point.

...oh wait.

PixyJunket
03-18-08, 04:32 PM
Kid Icarus.

Believe. July 15th.

pinata242
03-18-08, 04:34 PM
Kid Icarus.

Believe. July 15th.
Dude, you seriously need to come with links or something on your posts.

While I do believe, is there more to this than Reggie hinting at a major holiday blockbuster to be unveiled at E3?

PixyJunket
03-18-08, 04:38 PM
No links, just fueling the fire. Thanks for ruining the bit. :(

pinata242
03-18-08, 04:40 PM
No links, just fueling the fire. Thanks for ruining the bit. :(
But I do believe! I want to believe. I need to believe.

superdeluxe
03-18-08, 05:41 PM
Kid Icarus :D

Michael Corvin
03-18-08, 07:09 PM
It's probably something more like a Donkey Kong game. I posted a list a page back with what was still in the Nintendo stables waiting for a Wii release. I neglected poor Kong and Starfox. Both of which are likely candidates.

CreatureX
03-18-08, 07:15 PM
Kid Icarus.

Believe. July 15th.
I believe! :D

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/images/modea02/modea02_070803l-l.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/52fwx8k.jpg

mrpayroll
03-18-08, 07:21 PM
What? No love for Animal Crossing (online capabilities)?

Chris

Michael Ballack
03-19-08, 02:28 AM
Just picked up Super Mario Galaxy the other day. I haven't purchased a nintendo product for a while, but I noticed that the cover is bilingual. Is that normal for the Nintendo Wii game box, or did I get a Canadian version? I know Canadian dvds and video games require bilingual covers, so is this a new Nintendo thing or just a Canadian version? Thanks.

steebo777
03-19-08, 09:17 AM
Picked up Brawl and No More Heroes (grabbed the last copy at Times Square). $64 bucks after taxes and GC.

Played NMH for a little bit. Anyone with this game having 16:9 issues? Mine's not filling up the screen (like Mario and Sonic) but the resolution looks way off as if it isn't upscaling or something properly. I know they're going for a specific look, but it seems really soft, muddy, and almost seems like it's tearing. But it's still a lot of fun.

Gonna have to try Brawl after I get a bit more work work done.
I did not have issues with my 16:9 on NMH at all, although some of the overworld is a little fuzzy and has FPS issues.

tlwizard
03-19-08, 03:58 PM
I did not have issues with my 16:9 on NMH at all, although some of the overworld is a little fuzzy and has FPS issues.Thanks for the response. Have you played Mario and Sonic at all? Both games seem to give me the very same underscan issue. I wonder if that's an issue with my TV since NMH fills your screen.

PixyJunket
03-19-08, 04:00 PM
Some Wii games don't fill the 16:9 frame. No More Heroes is one of them.

It's mostly third party games though.

dick_grayson
03-19-08, 04:01 PM
I think my Wii broke. I can't get to my (neighbor's) wifi and it says that it finds no disk when I put in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe it needs an update. Either way, I haven't been able to get on the internet in about a month, so maybe it's just an update. Still, it sucks ass.

tlwizard
03-19-08, 04:24 PM
Thanks PixyJunket

dick grayson, your wii has to update to be able to play smash bros from what i know. It wouldn't let me play without. I suggest rechecking your network settings or definitely try to find somewhere you can get online to get the updates.

steebo777
03-19-08, 04:28 PM
Two videos of the WiiWheel used in Mario Kart Wii (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/18/videos-of-new-mario-kart-wii-wheel-vs-remote/)

Nothing too special just nice to confirm that I'll be using the Classic controller or WaveBird :D

GoVegan
03-19-08, 04:29 PM
I think my Wii broke. I can't get to my (neighbor's) wifi and it says that it finds no disk when I put in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe it needs an update. Either way, I haven't been able to get on the internet in about a month, so maybe it's just an update. Still, it sucks ass.Sounds like your neighbor probably noticed an additional device on their network and changed (or added) their security.

dick_grayson
03-19-08, 04:32 PM
Sounds like your neighbor probably noticed an additional device on their network and changed (or added) their security.

well then, it took them a year and a half. Plus, it shows up as unlocked and green, so I'm not 100% sure. There are other unlocked ones, but I've never been able to connect to them. Does SSB have some update it runs? (nevermind, just read that it does)

It doesn't even recognize it in the disk channel. Any suggestions? (other than crying on the floor)

pinata242
03-19-08, 04:33 PM
The game-specific updates are on the discs, you don't need the internet for that.

If it can't read the disc, you might have one of those Wiis that can't handle the dual-layer discs (this is the first one, iirc).

Do your other discs work? Might be time to call Nintendo... :(

GoVegan
03-19-08, 04:42 PM
Hmmm. That's strange. If it still shows up as open and unlocked I'm surprised you'd be unable to connect to it now. The only thing I could think of is if they switched wireless channels to one that the Wii doesn't play well with, but someone with an open network probably wouldn't even know how to do that.

Twice I've had brand new discs not work. Once I returned it and the second copy worked fine and the second time I just tried wiping the disc clean with a microfibre cloth and it worked perfectly after that. Although, I'm pretty sure that in both cases I could see the name of the game and it would attempt to start.

pinata242
03-19-08, 04:46 PM
Hmmm. That's strange. If it still shows up as open and unlocked I'm surprised you'd be unable to connect to it now. The only thing I could think of is if they switched wireless channels to one that the Wii doesn't play well with, but someone with an open network probably wouldn't even know how to do that.
This is a good point. But they wouldn't have to know anything for it to change on its own if it was set to "auto", which i likely is. Maybe a simple power outage would cause it to reset itself to some new channel.

You know, you could probably use a wireless PC to get into their router's config and assign a channel the Wii likes. I'm just saying... :)

GoVegan
03-19-08, 04:51 PM
May as well just change it to WPA (or WEP if you have a DS) while you're at it. Then you don't have to worry about the peksy neighbor bogging down your connection.

dick_grayson
03-19-08, 04:52 PM
I'm kind of out of luck. I gave away my laptop since I didn't want to be "on call" for work and have to monitor shit from home. I was happy with just the Wii and not having to pay internet. SSB played fine on my friend's machine, so it's not the disk. I'll call Nintendo. So far, they've been very helpful. I lost my Wii Sports and they sent me a free one and paid for the shipping.

darkside
03-19-08, 11:29 PM
If they do remake Kid Icarus I hope its actually fun to play unlike the awful NES version. Can't believe the love for that game. Even Treasure fails once in awhile.

GatorDeb
03-20-08, 01:25 AM
Eh, I got the component cable today and it doesn't look any better. Maybe Paper Mario isn't a flagship title to test that on. Looks the same tome as composite. And yes I did go to the Wii settings and change it to high resolution.

redbill
03-20-08, 09:36 AM
component doesn't increase resolution. it "just" allows the upgrade from 480i to 480p.

steebo777
03-20-08, 09:53 AM
And makes everything look MUCH sharper IMO.

davidh777
03-20-08, 11:56 AM
Any thoughts on MLB Power Pros? Amazon's GB deals for Wii don't usually last this long...

PixyJunket
03-20-08, 12:00 PM
Any thoughts on MLB Power Pros? Amazon's GB deals for Wii don't usually last this long...It's a good game but a it's a very weak port of the PS2 version to the Wii.

I'd personally wait until they made a version ground-up for the Wii.

darkside
03-20-08, 12:17 PM
Any thoughts on MLB Power Pros? Amazon's GB deals for Wii don't usually last this long...
I picked it up for $20 at Best Buy back when it was on sale and it is really good. It is also very deep if you really dig into the career modes where you manage your team, but can also be fun just for quick play with its RBI baseball like style. Well worth $20.

PixyJunket
03-20-08, 01:32 PM
I picked it up for $20 at Best Buy back when it was on sale and it is really good. It is also very deep if you really dig into the career modes where you manage your team, but can also be fun just for quick play with its RBI baseball like style. Well worth $20.Let me clarify my previous statement. What I mean by that it's a poor Wii port is that it's 4:3, 480i and the only Wii Remote controls are relegated to a collection of mini-games. darkside is right, the core game is still very strong. It's a great baseball game for $20.

darkside
03-20-08, 03:56 PM
Let me clarify my previous statement. What I mean by that it's a poor Wii port is that it's 4:3, 480i and the only Wii Remote controls are relegated to a collection of mini-games. darkside is right, the core game is still very strong. It's a great baseball game for $20.
Right, they made little effort to bring it over from PS2. Like a home run derby thing you can use the Wiimote for I think and that is it. Other than that it is pretty much a PS2 game and you will probably want to play with the classic controller. $40 was definitely too high a price tag since it is so similar to the $30 PS2 version.

drmoze
03-20-08, 04:58 PM
Is there a Wii baseball game (out now or announced) that focuses on actual gameplay using motion sensing? (Swinging, pitching, etc.) Something like a more realistic version of Wii Sports baseball?

dx23
03-20-08, 05:17 PM
Is there a Wii baseball game (out now or announced) that focuses on actual gameplay using motion sensing? (Swinging, pitching, etc.) Something like a more realistic version of Wii Sports baseball?

According to the reviews, this one:

MLB Power Pros
http://www.amazon.com/2K-Games-MLB-Power-Pros/dp/B000V1OURC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1206047742&sr=1-1

davidh777
03-20-08, 06:05 PM

Thanks to Darkside and PixyJunket for the info. I decided it wasn't a "must add" to the stack of unopened media.

mrpayroll
03-21-08, 05:32 PM
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/03/21/nintendo-plans-largest-ever-marketing-campaign-for-wii-fit/

Nintendo plans largest-ever marketing campaign for Wii Fit
Posted Mar 21st 2008 5:00PM by JC Fletcher
Filed under: News

If anyone's going to get a workout from Wii Fit, it's going to be Nintendo's marketing department. According to Michael Pachter, Nintendo is preparing the "biggest marketing campaign in its history" for the North American release of Wii Fit on May 19th. He deduces that all of these marketing dollars won't be wasted on GameStop alone, but will be aimed instead at promoting in (and with) more mainstream retailers Target and Best Buy.

Besides causing you to see Wii Fit freaking everywhere, this push will have a positive effect on the gaming world in general: according to Pachter, Nintendo will start increasing American Wii shipments by about 150,000 units a week. If you don't have a Wii yet, you can get some early exercise traipsing back and forth to Target for the next few weekends!

Chris

manicsounds
03-21-08, 08:58 PM
When is Wii Fit supposed to come out in the US? It came out in Japan last december and has been a smash hit since then. I personally use it, and when I took it to my family's house, it was amazing.

Michael Corvin
03-21-08, 10:03 PM
When is Wii Fit supposed to come out in the US?

:lol: Wow... just... wow. Read the post above yours.

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 02:51 AM
Wow.

Not only is Smash Bros picking up big sales, but when people are going in to buy SSBB, they are also picking up other games (and Wiis):

March 8th/15th totals:

Guitar Hero III 37,595 --> 60,268
Super Mario Galaxy 30,913-->45,549
Link crossbow training 27,283-->38,263
Mario&Sonic Olympics 18,770-->30,576
Wii Play 60,971-->74,397

Wii sales:
March 8th- 69,801
March 15th- 127,330

Old games that got a upspike (games not in top 50 March 8th):
Lego Star Wars: 19,843
Mario Party 8: 20,826
Carnival Games: 22,703
Legend of Zelda: 23,438

Very Very Impressive, so not only was SSBB a system driver, People when buying the systems, picked up 2-3 games with it.

Quake1028
03-22-08, 10:14 AM
So who do I blame that almost 1.5 years in I still can't walk into any store in my state and find a Wii?

argh923
03-22-08, 10:21 AM
When is Wii Fit supposed to come out in the US? It came out in Japan last december and has been a smash hit since then. I personally use it, and when I took it to my family's house, it was amazing.

Seriously? You couldn't read the post right ABOVE yours that had that information? :lol:

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 10:38 AM
So who do I blame that almost 1.5 years in I still can't walk into any store in my state and find a Wii?

Women and senior citizens in retirement centers.

But seriouslly, they are upping production to meet the coming demand of wii fit.

Quake1028
03-22-08, 11:00 AM

But seriouslly, they are upping production to meet the coming demand of wii fit.

Haven't we heard this upping production line numerous times? I just cannot reasonably fathom that the demand is still so super sky high that they can't get more of this product to the marketplace. This beats the 360 and PS3 waits combined, easily.

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 11:10 AM
Haven't we heard this upping production line numerous times? I just cannot reasonably fathom that the demand is still so super sky high that they can't get more of this product to the marketplace. This beats the 360 and PS3 waits combined, easily.

You don't want to over extend yourself, What the experts are saying that Nintendo doesn't want to start up production..hire all those workers...only to fire them..and shut down operations because now there is too much product, and not enough demand.

So they are upping production of Wiis now because of Wii Fit (which they are going to market like nuts).

Michael Corvin
03-22-08, 11:11 AM
I doubt they are upping anything. It's already been reported they just divert shipments from other regions based on their release schedule. SSB and WiiFit have been out for a while in Japan so demand is slowing down so they just allocate a couple hundred thousand from there to here in time for Mario Kart and WiiFit until demand wanes here at which point they will allocate those elsewhere.

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 11:12 AM
I doubt they are upping anything. It's already been reported they just divert shipments from other regions based on their release schedule. SSB and WiiFit have been out for a while in Japan so demand is slowing down so they just allocate a couple hundred thousand from there to here in time for Mario Kart and WiiFit until demand wanes here at which point they will allocate those elsewhere.

That might be very true.

PerryD
03-22-08, 11:22 AM
That might be very true.
I think the exact quote was that they were "increasing American shipments".

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 11:28 AM
Anyone have any idea what the reported 'BIG GAME' that Nintendo is going to show off at E3? The guy basically said, everyone will want it, and there will be much buzz at E3 about it...any ideas?

Michael Corvin
03-22-08, 11:42 AM
Wii Orchestra

;)

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 12:13 PM
Wii Orchestra

;)

They talked about that (said they would have news about that), But he was talking about something else.

mrpayroll
03-22-08, 02:19 PM

Everybody just fucking ignores me!

Chris

mrpayroll
03-22-08, 02:22 PM

As I previously posted a week ago, my mom and her first husbad (82 years old) just walked into a Target in Sand City, CA and there was a stack of 30 of them. They are guilty as charged. But they live in an 55 and over park, not a retirement center.

Chris

mrpayroll
03-22-08, 02:24 PM

Damn, so someone could buy one here in the U.S. and everything would be in Japanese? :(

Chris

CreatureX
Anyone have any idea what the reported 'BIG GAME' that Nintendo is going to show off at E3? The guy basically said, everyone will want it, and there will be much buzz at E3 about it...any ideas? I would love for it to be either Kid Icarus or a new Animal Crossing. :D

mrpayroll
Anyone have any idea what the reported 'BIG GAME' that Nintendo is going to show off at E3? The guy basically said, everyone will want it, and there will be much buzz at E3 about it...any ideas?

Animal Crossing with WiFi :clap:

Chris

mrpayroll
03-22-08, 02:25 PM
I would love for it to be either Kid Icarus or a new Animal Crossing. :D

Great minds think alike and at the exact same moment! :lol:

Chris

superdeluxe
03-22-08, 05:04 PM
Animal crossing has the potential to be one of Nintendo's best sellers.

How many people still play their gamecube AC on Wii? :D

MasterofDVD
03-22-08, 06:31 PM
I'd be more than thrilled to hear the new announcement be Animal Crossing. Seeing all the trophies of the Animal Crossing resident in SSBB only served to increase my desire for them to get the game out ASAP.

manicsounds
03-22-08, 06:51 PM

heh, my mistake. I just skimmed too quickly on that one....

darkside
03-22-08, 07:24 PM
I'd be more than thrilled to hear the new announcement be Animal Crossing. Seeing all the trophies of the Animal Crossing resident in SSBB only served to increase my desire for them to get the game out ASAP.
I don't know. I loved it on GameCube, but got bored of it quickly on the DS. Hopefully they will bring back the unlockable classic Nintendo titles. However, why give them to you free when they can charge you for them in the VC. Those games kept me playing more than anything else. I have a bad feeling Animal Crossing will be pay to play anyway and there is no way I pay a monthly fee to play it.

BTW, I picked up Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection today at Best Buy. Hardly any stores seem to carry it, but it is fantastic on the Wii. 10 great pinball machines that look and play exactly the way I remember them and bumping the machine using the nunchuk and wiimote is pretty nice. They also added a nice achievement system for each table to give you plenty of replay value. $30 is a bit overpriced, but the game is worth it if you love pinball. The PS2 version is only $15 if you can find it, but it also is missing 2 of the machines in the Wii version. Too bad most stores including GameStop aren't carrying it. It is one of the few good third party budget titles on Wii.

Michael Corvin
03-22-08, 09:12 PM
I found the PS2 version at Best Buy for $5 a while back.

Chris_D
03-22-08, 11:14 PM
Nick Suttner on 1UP Yours said he preferred the PS2 Okami controls to the new Wii version. Maybe don't throw away your PS2 copy just yet.

MasterofDVD
03-23-08, 12:00 AM
I don't know. I loved it on GameCube, but got bored of it quickly on the DS. Hopefully they will bring back the unlockable classic Nintendo titles. However, why give them to you free when they can charge you for them in the VC. Those games kept me playing more than anything else. I have a bad feeling Animal Crossing will be pay to play anyway and there is no way I pay a monthly fee to play it.

The DS version was nice but I rarely play my wife's DS. She played the hell out of it and now and then I would help keep her town in check.

I was never into the retro titles so leaving them out wouldn't bother me that much.

I don't want AC to be a huge online world. If it was a beefed up version of the DS online portion I would be OK. I just want a larger town and the ability to interact with other fans of the game. If they did go all out with the online portion I would probably pay for it if my wife was into it and wanted to share a character/town with me. There are not many games she gets excited over so it would all depend on if she wanted to help me play AC.

darkside
03-23-08, 12:06 AM
I guess my problem with AC is I'm really in it for awhile trying to complete my set for my house, but once that is done it is pretty much game over for me. I just don't feel like bug hunting and fishing enough to keep playing it. Don't know though, maybe they will come up with something big for the Wii and draw me back in. They may be able to use the online abilities to keep it fresh with new content for years.

tanman
03-23-08, 03:09 PM
I personally can't wait for AC. I really doubt it if it will be a pay for play system. Nintendo doesn't want to do that and hasn't stated any intention about doing that. I do hope though that it kind of goes back to the way it was on the GC. Mainly having actual holidays in there and not the bug hunting tourney, ladida day and all that other crap. Give me Jingle and that turkey and Jack back!

I still play both versions after all these years. Mainly the DS one though as that one is portable and easier to access.

shumway
03-23-08, 05:56 PM
I really doubt it if it will be a pay for play system. Nintendo doesn't want to do that and hasn't stated any intention about doing that.
There was a press release posted in this very thread about Nintendo having a new logo for the pay for play online stuff in Japan. It is very real. That doesn't mean that Animal Crossing will be that way, but there is potential. People were suggesting possibly the new Monster Hunter game would be the first.

darkside
03-23-08, 07:03 PM
Mainly having actual holidays in there and not the bug hunting tourney, ladida day and all that other crap. Give me Jingle and that turkey and Jack back!

This is something else that killed the DS version for me. I loved playing the GameCube one during the holidays, but just had no interest in the made up DS holidays.

tanman
03-23-08, 07:52 PM
There was a press release posted in this very thread about Nintendo having a new logo for the pay for play online stuff in Japan. It is very real. That doesn't mean that Animal Crossing will be that way, but there is potential. People were suggesting possibly the new Monster Hunter game would be the first.

Yeah I heard about that but I don't really think it will apply to First Party Games. I think it's more for so they can bring a WOW type game to the console. Or maybe even for downloadable content like our "promised" guitar hero songs.

tanman
03-23-08, 07:57 PM
This is something else that killed the DS version for me. I loved playing the GameCube one during the holidays, but just had no interest in the made up DS holidays.

Yeah, I got mine at Christmas and was disappointed to not find Jingle wandering about.

It did have quite a bit of improvements from the GC one but the lack of holidays and the lack of that extra island with the GBA connectivity hurt it.

I don't know if they will bring back holidays though. Did the Japanese GC version have American/Christian holidays like we did? They seem to be going to one release for all non-Japanese areas judging by their multilanguage cases and instructions. Which I find annoying BTW.

darkside
03-23-08, 10:18 PM
The Japanese GC version had its own set of holidays. They tried to do universal holidays for the DS version and it sucked big time. However, with the online elements and the fact you can connect with people online around the world they will probably do the boring universal fake holidays again.

MasterofDVD
03-24-08, 12:23 AM
If they found a way to do away with friends codes I would be willing to pay to online with the Wii but if they try and charge me while dealing with that annoying excuse of an online system they can shove that idea where the sun don't shine.

PixyJunket
03-24-08, 09:00 AM
Desire:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/351/shirenwiirg7.jpg

steebo777
03-24-08, 09:49 AM
I could see Mario Tennis being the big title Nintendo is announcing at E3 personally.

superdeluxe
03-24-08, 09:53 AM
Desire:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/351/shirenwiirg7.jpg

Whats that?

PixyJunket
03-24-08, 10:28 AM
Whats that?Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 3.

A (really great) remake of the original just came out for the DS here.

Michael Corvin
03-24-08, 10:37 AM
Nick Suttner on 1UP Yours said he preferred the PS2 Okami controls to the new Wii version. Maybe don't throw away your PS2 copy just yet.

Sounded more like an issue only if you've played the PS2 version. Anyone who is new to the game won't have a frame of reference. It also sounded like the controls were mostly fine with little issues here and there. So if you've never played the original you wouldn't have any problems with it.

That's the way I took the conversation anyway.

Chris_D
03-24-08, 11:14 AM
I guess I hear what you're saying, but firstly it works vice versa. As in if you haven't played the Wii version you could just as easily play the PS2 version which I presume has probably come down in price a bit with the new release. And secondly, I did think he was pretty clear on the point that the PS2 controls worked better (for him) than the Wii controls. So if the point of buying the Wii version is the previously assumed vastly superior controls then it seems to render that point a bit moot. Particularly for those who are upgrading from the PS2 version.

Anyway, this is one guys opinion, so obviously you'd want to see what other people have to say.

PixyJunket
03-24-08, 11:26 AM
I'm very shocked that 1UP complained about Wii controls. This is earth shattering news.

Chris_D
03-24-08, 11:40 AM
I'm very shocked that 1UP complained about Wii controls. This is earth shattering news.

Pixy hates 1UP. Similarly earth shattering.

Anyway, a fair few dvdtalkers follow the 1UP stuff so I posted it for their interest. In the end it's only one guy discussing a game in the context of a preview so add however much salt you like.

Michael Corvin
03-24-08, 11:50 AM
I don't mind 1up as a whole, I usually just take issue with Shane "graphic whore" Bettenhausen. He knows his shit, but makes no qualms about being a graphic whore.

pinata242
03-24-08, 03:12 PM
Rock Band dated for 6/22: http://gonintendo.com/?p=38603

Cambridge, MA - March 24, 2007– Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a division of MTV Networks, which is a division of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), along with distribution partner Electronic Arts, Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced plans to release the award-winning music video game Rock Band on the Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo in the U.S. and Canada on June 22, 2008 for the suggested retail price of $169.99.

Rock Band for Wii will be released as a Special Edition bundle including the software, drums, microphone and a wireless guitar. Stand alone instruments will also be available on June 22nd for people who want to build their band one instrument at a time or want to play the drum versus drum game mode. The game will feature 63 songs including five bonus songs for Wii gamers to enjoy.

“The Wii’s success among casual and core gamers of all ages makes it an ideal match for the cross-generational appeal of the music featured in Rock Band,” says Bob Picunko, Vice President of Electronic Games and Interactive Products, MTV

“The social interaction and addictive nature of the Rock Band experience is a perfect fit for the Wii and will undoubtedly be fun for the entire family,” says Steve Singer, licensing VP from Nintendo.

Rock Band is an all-new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. The game challenges players to put together a band and tour for fame and fortune - all while learning to master lead/bass guitar, drums and vocals. Featuring the most master recordings of any music game ever by the world’s biggest rock artists, Rock Band includes tracks that span every genre of rock ranging from alternative and classic rock to heavy metal and punk. Rock Band has garnered over 40 awards this year including Game Critics Award: Best of Show E3 2007 and three awards at The 11th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards including Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, Family Game of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack.

Rock Band is rated “T” for Teen (lyrics, mild suggestive themes) by the ESRB.

Rock Band is currently available on the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and on the PLAYSTATION®2 computer entertainment system.

superdeluxe
03-24-08, 03:26 PM
YES!

Finally Rock Band. I thought I had to get the xbox for that heh.

steebo777
03-24-08, 03:52 PM
As soon as I get my GH3 replacement disc I'm sending it back for the rebate and putting that towards RB!

Baron Of Hell
03-24-08, 10:36 PM
The Wii version of rock band will be a port of the PS2 version. So no DLC if that is important to you and no online anything. All it will have is 4 more songs than the PS2 version.

tanman
03-25-08, 02:49 AM
The Wii version of rock band will be a port of the PS2 version. So no DLC if that is important to you and no online anything. All it will have is 4 more songs than the PS2 version.

Yeah I know.

F*** them!

I am getting damn tired of these WiiS2 ports. The Wii is closer to the 360 then the PS2 in performance and yet they still always gimp every single multiplatform title so that Wii owners get stuck with an inferior version. Do they really think we aren't noticing? I really hope there is a major backlash against these inferior ports and shovelware that seems to plague every successful system.

At least GH had online play and we were going to get downloadable content although I don't know if that is happening anymore or not. The graphics sucked ass but at least we got the full game. There is absolutely NO reason why the Wii can't have the full game for RB. Why do they have to gimp it? That's right, they're lazy asses. Instead we get 5 songs (whoopdeedoo) and a horrific white drum set.

If you can't tell I'm really pissed at this announcement as I have been looking forward to this releasing on the Wii for awhile. Forget it now.

Krayzie
03-25-08, 10:58 AM
I've been waiting to pick rockband up for the Wii but I'm not paying $170 for it if it's missing options. Hell rock band for the 360 is only $150 at sams club...

GoVegan
03-25-08, 11:13 AM
That's really lame about Rock Band. I'm so glad I didn't wait around for that version and just got a 360. I figured the Wii version was taking so long because they were working out the DLC issues.

Hopefully the five bonus songs will at least be something cool (but not so cool as to make me jealous).

PixyJunket
03-25-08, 11:18 AM
Mario Theme
Zelda Theme
Metroid Theme
Kirby Theme
Star Fox Theme

Maybe?

Jeremy517
03-25-08, 11:40 AM
Mario Theme
Zelda Theme
Metroid Theme
Kirby Theme
Star Fox Theme

Maybe?

Not without lyrics.

Nosmo Rex
03-25-08, 12:09 PM
I've been looking for a reason to get a Wii, and Rock Band may be it. I'm fine with the lack of DLC, but I agree it is probably overpriced because of that.

What does the Wii supply look like these days? What's my best bet for finding one at a B&M?

shumway
03-25-08, 12:24 PM
Follow the ads or randomly stop by Gamestops when they get their shipments in. If you already have a 360, you're doing yourself a disservice to buy this on Wii instead of 360.

tanman
03-25-08, 01:10 PM
I've been looking for a reason to get a Wii, and Rock Band may be it. I'm fine with the lack of DLC, but I agree it is probably overpriced because of that.

What does the Wii supply look like these days? What's my best bet for finding one at a B&M?

But it isn't just the DLC although that is a big part of it. It's missing the world tour mode and online play and custom avatars. Basically it just has one mode, quickplay and that's it.

Screw 'em.

CreatureX
03-25-08, 01:29 PM
Gotta love our fellow Nintendo hardcore!

Viink from 4 Color Rebellion (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2008/03/22/my-wedding-invitation/#more-5717) is getting married next week and has posted his wedding invitations:

front:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/08/03/smallinvitefront.jpg

back:

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/media/pics/08/03/smallinvitationback.jpg

Awesome! :D

CreatureX
03-25-08, 01:54 PM
What does the Wii supply look like these days? What's my best bet for finding one at a B&M?From Cheap Ass Gamer (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176866):

Circuit City's March 30th Sunday ad:
The Wii IS listed in this week’s ad on Page #8 // Limited quantities // No rain checks // Limit 1 per household // Minimum 10 units per store // Vouchers will be handed out 1 hour prior to store opening // Get your warm coats / gloves ready Folks!

Nosmo Rex
03-25-08, 03:51 PM
From Cheap Ass Gamer (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176866):

Circuit City's March 30th Sunday ad:
The Wii IS listed in this week’s ad on Page #8 // Limited quantities // No rain checks // Limit 1 per household // Minimum 10 units per store // Vouchers will be handed out 1 hour prior to store opening // Get your warm coats / gloves ready Folks!

Hmmm. It just so happens I have a $25 GC at CC. The question is: am I too lazy to get out of a warm bed early on a Sunday morning? :)

MasterofDVD
03-25-08, 05:12 PM
If you already have a 360, you're doing yourself a disservice to buy this on Wii instead of 360.

I have to heartily agree on this one. The Wii is awesome for some multiplayer games. This isn't one of those times/games. Getting a Wii for Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Smash Bros. or even something as bizarre as Raving Rabbids makes sense .... but in a multi console household getting Rock Band on Wii isn't the way to go.

SteelgearX
03-25-08, 05:14 PM
Wii Punch Out.

Believe.

UncleGramps
03-25-08, 05:22 PM
Wii Clu Clu Land.

Believe.

Or don't.

Whatever.

Nosmo Rex
03-25-08, 05:52 PM
I have to heartily agree on this one. The Wii is awesome for some multiplayer games. This isn't one of those times/games. Getting a Wii for Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Smash Bros. or even something as bizarre as Raving Rabbids makes sense .... but in a multi console household getting Rock Band on Wii isn't the way to go.
My rationale for getting Rock Band for Wii instead of 360 is that the Wii will be in a room that will be easier to set up and store the drums. I have GH3 on the 360, and have never done any online stuff, except to download a few songs. But yes, Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers will be must-haves for the Wii for me. And yes, the lack of DLC for the Wii does make me wonder about the value.

tanman
03-25-08, 06:29 PM

But it could have been the same experience, with not as good graphics, if the developers weren't so lazy.

Jamezuva
03-25-08, 09:27 PM
Wii Clu Clu Land.

Believe.

Or don't.

Whatever.
:lol:

MasterofDVD
03-25-08, 11:08 PM
But it could have been the same experience, with not as good graphics, if the hardware was capable.

Fixed.

All kidding aside.....I love my Wii but it's no graphical powerhouse and the limited internal storage space makes some games not all that they could be. I would love a stand for the Wii that adds some mass storage space and opens up the options for the system a bit more.

tanman
03-25-08, 11:56 PM
Fixed.

All kidding aside.....I love my Wii but it's no graphical powerhouse and the limited internal storage space makes some games not all that they could be. I would love a stand for the Wii that adds some mass storage space and opens up the options for the system a bit more.

I know the Wii is limited in power but you know it could have done a full fledged Rock Band easily.

MasterofDVD
03-26-08, 04:38 PM
I know the Wii is limited in power but you know it could have done a full fledged Rock Band easily.

Your totally right but personally I would never buy a game like RB or GH where I don't have the option to download extra music. Sure it costs more to get extra songs but my taste in music is pretty off and when these games are announced I am only ever excited to have maybe 1/3 of the songs. Having options to get more songs later on for a small price is a big selling point.

Found this a moment ago posted elsewhere and wanted to share it....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpC6D8BjQTI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpC6D8BjQTI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Michael Corvin
03-26-08, 08:04 PM
that's pretty sweet. I wish i knew how to do shit like that.

Ravenous
03-26-08, 09:03 PM
Your totally right but personally I would never buy a game like RB or GH where I don't have the option to download extra music. Sure it costs more to get extra songs but my taste in music is pretty off and when these games are announced I am only ever excited to have maybe 1/3 of the songs. Having options to get more songs later on for a small price is a big selling point.

Found this a moment ago posted elsewhere and wanted to share it....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpC6D8BjQTI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kpC6D8BjQTI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fucking Dragonforce? :lol: Cool! Now show us how to do it!

Theyre on rockband?

Demontooth
03-26-08, 09:55 PM
I saw 4 Wii's at Target today. It's odd seeing them in the case.