Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed: HD DVD 5 FREE MIR Declined

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-29-07, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping someone here has some advice for me...

I purchased a 360 HD Addon on 9/14 from Best Buy - i was given a rebate form for 5 free hd dvds, i filled it out, along with a copy of my receipt and the upc cut from the box - just got the declined back today stating that the reciept did not indicate the correct item purchased (even though it is circled) and the UPC was not included (even though it was)

it gives the address to re-submit... any ideas on how to raise my odds of not getting screwed over here?
Old 10-29-07, 03:40 PM

did they provide a number to call? i would call first before sending out the information again. based on other rebate-related problems people have had, sometimes making a simple phone call sorts out all problem. you do have copies of all the info in case you do have to send out the info again, yes?

most people say their FYE rebates have been decline, but when they call the number, the responder looks something up and just like that the rebate is approved over the phone. maybe shooting a quick decline is what the companies do to try and not give out rebates, figuring some people will just shrug and give up?
Old 10-29-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,007 Likes on 614 Posts
Call 1-800-405-7520. Hope you made copies of everything before you sent it off.
Old 10-29-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks, but it sounds like you don't have a UPC anymore... how can you possibly resubmit?
Old 10-29-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You did make copies of everything... right? Give them a call. I think you'll have better luck that way rather than just re-submitting everything again.
Old 10-29-07, 06:06 PM

i did make copies of everything, and they sent everything back to me, including the UPC....

thats a great job finding that phone number - i will give it try during business hours tomorrow and post an update - there was no phone number originally included...

Last edited by JoN8282; 10-29-07 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 06:07 PM
Suspended

Any word on multiple rebates at the same address?

I bought an HDDVD stand alone, and a 360 add on, I want to make sure that they don't reject me.
Old 10-29-07, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JoN8282
i did make copies of everything, and they sent everything back to me, including the UPC....

thats a great job finding that phone number - i will give it try during business hours tomorrow and post an update - there was no phone number originally included...
sending back the upc while saying it wasnt included - thats a new one.
Old 10-29-07, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings

I bought an HDDVD stand alone, and a 360 add on, I want to make sure that they don't reject me.
It does say one offer per household, so I wouldn't send in both. In fact, when you use a relative's address, be sure to use a different name too.
Old 10-29-07, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JorgeC
It does say one offer per household, so I wouldn't send in both. In fact, when you use a relative's address, be sure to use a different name too.

That's what I was going to do, just in case.
Old 10-29-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings

The rebate offer changed on 10/1. So if your first rebate was sent before 10/1 you can submit a new rebate now using the same address and not be declined.

I confirmed this with a CS rep when I was checking to make sure my rebate I sent in August was still showing in their system.

I plan on purchasing a stand alone player before 2/28/08 to take advantage of the 5 more free HD-DVD's.
Old 10-29-07, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pookymeister
sending back the upc while saying it wasnt included - thats a new one.
LOL Indeed that is one of the funniest things I've heard, if that is indeed true.
Old 10-30-07, 09:10 PM
Banned

This sort of thing doesn't surprise me. Maybe rebate centers are like insurance companies -- first response is to deny, second response is to deny.

When it comes to money-back rebates, if they wanted you to save that amount of money, it would've been included in the sales price. They count on people not sending them in.
Old 10-30-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a scam!--this is why I hate rebates...Way back when Warner had free DVD offerings, I got my rebates refused, supposedly because the UPC's weren't right. Well, I know they were because I bought the movies required and cut them out myself! And I've had other similar experiences...It's bad enough you have to wait to receive the item/rebate, but when they refuse it (for no decent reason)...Grrrr!

And why should you need to photocopy the stuff you sent? How often do such things get lost or stolen in the mail? If you sent them the correct UPC, receipt, etc, a photocopy should not be needed...

Yikes, now I'm worried about my own Toshiba HD-DVD rebate...I don't think I copied the receipts, UPC...

Hoping someone here has some advice for me...

I purchased a 360 HD Addon on 9/14 from Best Buy - i was given a rebate form for 5 free hd dvds, i filled it out, along with a copy of my receipt and the upc cut from the box - just got the declined back today stating that the reciept did not indicate the correct item purchased (even though it is circled) and the UPC was not included (even though it was)

it gives the address to re-submit... any ideas on how to raise my odds of not getting screwed over here?
Old 10-31-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, I mailed mine USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation.

I called the number and I'm in their system. They said about 4 weeks. My advice. Never mail rebates that are of value with a simple first class stamp. True, you can make copies till you're blue in the face, but sending your rebate in a more trackable manner, let's them know you're not fucking around the second they get your rebate letter.
Old 10-31-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the things I noticed on my recent Toshiba purchase...one of the UPC labels on the box said it wasn't for the mail in rebate...so make sure you send in the correct UPC marked as such on the box.
Old 11-01-07, 12:31 AM

another excellent idea about the USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation..... didn't get to call today, got stuck at the DMV... shall call tomorrow and update.
Old 11-01-07, 08:22 AM

Priority Mail with delivery confirmation just seems like a waste of money to me. It doesn't prove what you sent them, just that you sent them something. The fact is that all of these rebate processors which have an established reputation for denying rebates are always known for claiming there was some sort of problem with your submission and not that they never received it. I would imagine they use that method because it would be blatantly obvious they were lying if they claimed the postal service was losing a third of all the mail sent to them. It would likely also constitute mail fraud. So, it's easier and safer for them to claim the consumer screwed up their submission. Like someone mentioned earlier, many of these denials are quickly cleared up with a phone call. Indeed, it seems fairly clear they know your rebate was falsely denied when they routinely approve your rebate literally within seconds of getting on the phone with them. Obviously their tactic is that a certain % of people will never call in and they will keep that money. But once you do call in they know the gig is up and so they just approve it instantly. That being said, all processors aren't that easy. Some will make you jump through hoops and that is why copies are essential. Also, the fact that they physically mailed your denied rebate back to you is unusual. I would suggest making copies of the returned denial letter and the envelope it came as well as yet another copy of your submission materials. And if you are certain it is a proper and valid submission, let them know that if they deny it again you will file formal complaints with the FTC and the Attorney General for your state and theirs.
Old 11-01-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
One of the things I noticed on my recent Toshiba purchase...one of the UPC labels on the box said it wasn't for the mail in rebate...so make sure you send in the correct UPC marked as such on the box.
I'm trying to figure out what to turn in -- there's a big sticker on the side with the serial number and such... is that it? Can someone confirm? (Mine doesn't mention anything about "not for rebate," etc.) Thanks!
Old 11-01-07, 06:25 PM

*UPDATE*

Just spoke to a very helpful rep at Toshiba customer service, she was very apologetic and said there was a known issue where the same PO Box was used for two rebates and it was confusing some of the people down there... She suggested sending the rebate again, with a note attached letting them know that this is for an XBOX 360 HD Drive and that the offer # should be 012-004

i will be doing that and sending it to them with delivery confirmation...
Old 11-01-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*UPDATE*

Just spoke to a very helpful rep at Toshiba customer service, she was very apologetic and said there was a known issue where the same PO Box was used for two rebates and it was confusing some of the people down there... She suggested sending the rebate again, with a note attached letting them know that this is for an XBOX 360 HD Drive and that the offer # should be 012-004

i will be doing that and sending it to them with delivery confirmation...
Hope if works out for you.... Good Luck
Old 11-02-07, 12:25 AM

thanks speedy - glad to see you back - hope all is well...
Old 11-02-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I'm trying to figure out what to turn in -- there's a big sticker on the side with the serial number and such... is that it? Can someone confirm? (Mine doesn't mention anything about "not for rebate," etc.) Thanks!
That's what I'm guessing it is. I'm sending mine off today, and including the bar codes with the serial number on it. Hopefully, there won't be any problems...
Old 12-12-07, 03:06 PM

*UPDATE*

Last week I tried to contact Toshiba to check my status and was placed on hold for over an hour - I gave up. Today I called and not only was I not placed on hold, but a live person answered... they confirmed for me that my rebate had been accepted and was in processing. Looks like I will be getting my movies... now to just continue to wait for them to arrive... this entire ordeal has taken about 3 months so far.
Old 12-12-07, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

I called about a week or so ago about my rebate I put in with Toshiba's group for my Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon. They said it was in processing and had been received. Today I check my mail and I have 5 discs. Good times.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.