Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Doctor Who - The Complete Third Series'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-29-07, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Nick Lyons's DVD review of Doctor Who - The Complete Third Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31196 and...
I disagree with certain episodes povs. The two parter "human nature" and "family of blood" has a certain resonance in the UK because of the war veterans and the way we feel about remembrance day etc. I found those episodes incredibly moving, and Jessicae Hynes incredible in her role. I found the two episodes generally of high quality.

I thought it odd no mention was made explicitly of "42" happening in real time. This is a first for Dr Who and actually there are those who watch this programme who are not sci-fi nuts and would not have seen 24, or Sunshine etc. This may be hard to believe if you are immersed in the world of tv, but it is true. One of the new Dr Who's greatest achievements is attracting an audience who previously never watched this genre and were unlikely to in the past.

I find Steven Moffat's episodes variable. The first series 2 parter, "the doctor dances" etc, was so dry and plodding. Viewing figures were the lowest for his episodes in series one in the UK. Significantly, the figures for the second of that two parter were down on the first - i.e., people saw the first part, and didn't like what they saw. I did not find Blink the overwhelming success as those in positions to air their rhetoric to a greater number of people seem to. The only vaguely inspiring and frightening part of the entire episode was at the end, when a quick montage of statues indicated that really they were out there, prompting some degree of glee. That was it.

While I didn't find the finale two parter of series 3 as gripping as the previous 2 series', I think it was because it took a different road, which can only be good in the end. What you call "frightfully bad", I completely think the opposite. I absolutely adored the musical sequence and the psychic energy. The musical moment was a showcase for the Master's complete inanity, he really has lost it, and was, guess what - fun! In addition, the idea of psychic energy resurrecting the Doctor was inspired. It says that you don't need guns, weapons, warfare - all you need is to think. Use your mind, intelligence. What a brilliant message.
Old 10-29-07, 01:15 PM

Thanks for your comment Opal.

I like both Human Nature and The Family Of Blood, but I think it overstates everything.

As RTD points out in the commentary, 42 doesn't exactly take place in real time. It's more of a gimmick to hook viewers.

I'm sorry to hear you don't enjoy Moffat's work as much as I (and most fans) do. Moffat's contribution to the new series has been significant I think. He created the character of Captain Jack, the clockwork droid, and the ever popular "Are You My Mommy?" That's quite a feat in its self. I think there's a reason why many fans want him to take over for RTD one day.

I found the "bad" moments in the finale simply too cartoony and anime-ish for "Doctor Who."
Old 10-30-07, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by whovian43
Thanks for your comment Opal.

I like both Human Nature and The Family Of Blood, but I think it overstates everything.

As RTD points out in the commentary, 42 doesn't exactly take place in real time. It's more of a gimmick to hook viewers.

I'm sorry to hear you don't enjoy Moffat's work as much as I (and most fans) do. Moffat's contribution to the new series has been significant I think. He created the character of Captain Jack, the clockwork droid, and the ever popular "Are You My Mommy?" That's quite a feat in its self. I think there's a reason why many fans want him to take over for RTD one day.

I found the "bad" moments in the finale simply too cartoony and anime-ish for "Doctor Who."
I think it's important to say I don't feel I've ever come across a "bad" dr who episode. Even the "worst" is probably a darn site better in terms of standards compared to dramas churned out on a weekly, year long basis elsewhere.

The little kids in the gas masks didn't... move me. I found it repetitive (which it was meant to be I suppose), but, well... I said plodding before, and that's how it felt to me.

Did Steven Moffat really create, completely originate Captain Jack? Wouldn't the concept have come from, and been vetted by, RTD?

I've never really seen or been into the anime world so I can't really respond on that.

I will say girl in the fireplace was beautiful, and moving, just gorgeous really... but at the same time it has that ponderous thing about it. All that time spent with rose and mickey looking at body parts in the ship, no running down corridors here, just walking... slowly... It's the same vibe that turned me off Moffat's previous episodes. You know what, it feels like the mechanics of putting in "important plot points". "Here is the body part - plot clue 1". It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's just something a bit too... laboured and, "I'm trying very hard to point you in the right direction" about it.

I love emotional quiet moments, it's one of the reasons the new dr who has been so successful in these times, and why it's gained such a broad and all encompassing audience, but Moffat, for me, sometimes takes those pauses for breath, and instead of rivetting conversation or revelation, or touching emotional realisation, goes into all that I wrote above.

(but, you know, who didn't well up when the doctor read reinette's letter...)
Old 11-01-07, 12:48 PM

I am planning on Netflixing this next week. Does anyone know what the Episode break down on each Disc is? Or, Does anyone know if there are actual episodes on Disc 6 or is it just an Extras Disc? Thanks! I hate when I get a Disc of just extras from Netflix.
Old 11-01-07, 12:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Terrible season overall, but the "Human Nature" two-parter and "Blink" are excellent.
Old 11-01-07, 01:18 PM

Vendetta, disks 1-5 have the eps. Disc 6 is all Dr. Who confidential.
Old 11-01-07, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by whovian43
Vendetta, disks 1-5 have the eps. Disc 6 is all Dr. Who confidential.

Thank You very much!
Old 11-05-07, 04:00 PM

Does anyone know the dimensions of the R1 boxset?
Ive seen pictures of the R2 set but I wonder if the R1 set is thinner and may be consistent with the other two previous releases.
Old 11-06-07, 06:54 AM
Defunct Account

I know that Nick received check discs that weren't in the retail packaging. I'm not sure what the dimensions are, but I know in the past that the R2 releases have been different from the R1 sets.
Old 11-06-07, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Terrible season overall, but the "Human Nature" two-parter and "Blink" are excellent.
Excellent is hardly the word.

Blink was insane! that was not only one of the best Dr. Who eps I have ever seen, its one of the best Sci-Fi eps I have ever seen.

And it scared the s**t out of my wife, which is cool too.