Curb Your Enthusiasm - "The N Word" - 10/28/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-28-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
This week, Larry tries to do Auntie Rae a favor, but ends up offending her instead. Jeff's stay at the hospital to get a "snore job" opens up a new opportunity for Larry, who takes full advantage of it in Episode 58: "The N Word."
Old 10-28-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode. Loved when the pharmacist read the note.
Old 10-28-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
I have not been very impressed with this season, but I must say this was a really good episode
Old 10-28-07, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Go poke somebody else in the stomach, Larry."

-Leon

Old 10-28-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I think he actually used the word "stab", which of course makes it even funnier.
Old 10-29-07, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Funny episode! Larry's date/appointment with the doctor was great.
Old 10-29-07, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by T-bone22
I have not been very impressed with this season, but I must say this was a really good episode
Exactly the way I feel about the season, and this episode, as this is the only one I have laughed out loud continuously through the episode, as the others I have usually only laughed once or twice throughout.

I just feel that the plotlines are getting so ridiculous and contrived now, it makes it harder to laugh, cause you can't put yourself in that position anymore if it ever happened to you. The great thing about past CYE seasons, is that Larry would be in a situation that you could relate to but you would never say what Larry says, because he doesn't hold back, and most of us are too nice to say what is exactly on our minds.
Old 10-29-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also loved when the black doctor was calling Larry out on being a racist, the only thing that seemed to hurt him was being called bald. Loved the acknowledgment of the bald bell boy as well as they were passing each other.
Old 10-29-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the funniest episodes of the entire series. The entire sequence of events leading up to the pharmacist reading the note was just masterful.
Old 10-29-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by coli
I just feel that the plotlines are getting so ridiculous and contrived now, it makes it harder to laugh.
I agree with this. I didn't like tonight's episode very much, although there were some good moments. An example of one ridiculous plotline is the doctor's home life mirroring her work environment--all the way down to her sex life. "Why don't you get dressed and meet me in the foyer?" That seems more like a late-season Seinfeld episode than a Curb episode.
Old 10-29-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
One of the funniest episodes of the entire series. The entire sequence of events leading up to the pharmacist reading the note was just masterful.
I agree 100%--definitely in my Top 5 CYE eps. of all time. The thumbs up in a hallway, the doctor's house w/the fishtank, the estrogen & the ice cream, Jeff's shaved head & the discrimination--all brilliantly written and superbly played.
Old 10-29-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I expected the vote of the board to be split - 2 of the bald doctors agreeing with Jeff, and the other 2 non-bald doctors voting against Jeff.
Old 10-29-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was dying, funny episode. I even have a jar for the n-word in my office (I work with a couple of guys of African descent, and since I can't use the n-word, they have to put $1 in the jar for everytime they use the n-word in my presence).

Can't believe Jeff shaved his head for this episode (or he had to get it shaved, and Larry incorporated it into the episode).
Old 10-29-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
SO was that a really good job on a skullcap. or did Jeff actually shave his head? Looked real to me. Damn that's commitment to comedy!
Old 10-29-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it looked real to me.
Old 10-29-07, 01:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
SO was that a really good job on a skullcap. or did Jeff actually shave his head? Looked real to me. Damn that's commitment to comedy!
definitely shaved. in the closeup with ben stiller, you could definitely tell it was shaved ...

also ... in the coming attraction for next weeks episode jeff's hair has grown back just a bit ...

btw : that sue ellen mishky is one hot middle-aged broad (for those who arent in the know, the doctor in this episode was played by the same woman who was on 'seinfeld' who wore a bra as a regular piece of clothing ...).

great episode. not realistic (like latter seinfeld), but damn funny.
Old 10-29-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
"I can't stand having these brothers and sisters around, wouldn't your life be so much better without the blacks?"

Old 10-29-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by derekjet
btw : that sue ellen mishky is one hot middle-aged broad (for those who arent in the know, the doctor in this episode was played by the same woman who was on 'seinfeld' who wore a bra as a regular piece of clothing ...).

great episode. not realistic (like latter seinfeld), but damn funny.
Dr. Flomm was played by Brenda Strong (also plays narrator Mary Alice Young on Desperate Housewives).
Old 10-29-07, 10:10 PM

I know I should have suspended disbelief, but it seems like Larry should be bright enough to realize he can just say (the title of the episode) instead of the full word. Other than being annoyed by that, I did laugh a lot at how everything was constructed in this episode.
Old 10-30-07, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But when he said the word, he was only in the company of white people. Black people just showed up when he said it. Didn't you ever see the Eddie Murphy sketch on SNL about how white people act when there aren't any black people around?
Old 10-30-07, 07:45 AM

Yeah, I just didn't know that even us white-guilt-ridden, environmentalist lefties were just as prone to blurting out that kind of language in "safe" company, too.
Old 10-30-07, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lucasorion
I know I should have suspended disbelief, but it seems like Larry should be bright enough to realize he can just say (the title of the episode) instead of the full word. Other than being annoyed by that, I did laugh a lot at how everything was constructed in this episode.
I normally have no problem looking past the really bad plot points, but this one annoyed the hell out of me. Maybe it's because I enjoyed the rest of the episode so much, and this is how it ended.
Old 10-31-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this was the best episode of the season. Great stuff throughout.

The note was great, loved the thumbs up in the hall, just brilliant stuff. My favorite somewhat subtle joke was the doctors blue bed with the white sheet draped across the middle looking exactly like an examining room table with the white butcher paper stuff.
Old 10-31-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred
I think this was the best episode of the season. Great stuff throughout.

The note was great, loved the thumbs up in the hall, just brilliant stuff. My favorite somewhat subtle joke was the doctors blue bed with the white sheet draped across the middle looking exactly like an examining room table with the white butcher paper stuff.
Plus she had a manual scale in her room as well.
Old 10-31-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Whoever wrote that note that the pharmacist read should win an Emmy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.