Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Where's Halloween Boxset?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's Halloween Boxset?

I got the 25th anniversary edition last night at bestbuy and saw the other Halloweens were on sale. My question is how come there hasn't been a box set released? Is it b/c they're waiting for the new Halloween to come out so they can make it into a newer boxset?
Old 10-27-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I’m going to try really hard not to scream my head off, this question has been asked so, so many times.

Here goes,

From Wiki
The film rights

• Halloween
o Main rights: Trancas International Films (Akkad's production company)
o Home video rights: Anchor Bay Entertainment
o Television rights: Carlton/ITC Entertainment
• Halloween II, Halloween III: Season of the Witch
o Main rights: Universal Pictures
o Home video rights: Universal Pictures
o Television rights: Universal Pictures
• Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
o Main rights: Trancas International Films
o Home video rights: Anchor Bay Entertainment
o Television rights: Anchor Bay Entertainment
• Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, Halloween H20: 20 Years Later, Halloween: Resurrection, Halloween (2007)
o Main rights: Miramax/Dimension
o Home video rights: Miramax/Dimension
o Television rights: Miramax
Dimension Films also currently owns rights to any further films in the Halloween film franchise.
and Studios don't like other Studios so we won't see a Box Set in R1. There's a R2 boxset I think but I'm not %100 sure.
Old 10-27-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, there is a box set in R2 but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.
Old 10-27-07, 11:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
Yeah, there is a box set in R2 but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.
welcome to google:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Halloween-Co.../dp/B0002MGZA0
Old 10-27-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like Nateman said, in the US, Halloween 1, 4, 5, and the 25 Years Of Terror documentary are owned by Anchor Bay. Halloween 2 & 3 are owned by Universal. And Halloween 6, H20, Resurrection, and the Rob Zombie remake are owned by Dimension.

As a result, you won't have a box set of all the titles. Same reason why there won't be a Terminator box set in the US (1 is owned by Fox/MGM now, 2 is owned by Lionsgate, 3 is owned by WB).
Old 10-27-07, 01:16 PM
Banned

How is that 25 Years Of Terror documentary?
Old 10-27-07, 04:21 PM

Thanks for this thread. Always wondered myself. Guess I'll just start picking them up one by one. Can anyone post which is the best edition of the different movies? I think that the current release of Halloween 1 (original) is supposed to be a pretty good or best edition currently out. I don't know about the rest.
Old 10-27-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I liked it quite a bit. It was an entertaining way to spend 90 minutes.
Old 10-27-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a good doc. It's also worth getting for the Horror's Hallowed Grounds segment featuring a look at the filming locations of the first film.
Old 10-27-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
It's on sale at Best Buy for $4.99 right now.

Well worth the price. Heck, it's worth the normal $14.99 as well. It's a good companion to the Halloween movies and you will see one of the last on camera interviews with Debra Hill, Halloween's Producer, who died of cancer 2 years ago.
Old 10-28-07, 01:56 AM

Can anyone recommend which versions of the Halloweens are the best to get?
Old 10-28-07, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 - Anchorbay (Starz) 25th Anniversary edition although many still considering the old OOP 2 disk LE to be definitive due to color timing changes on the 25th Anniversary edition. The LE has the TV cut though
2 & 3 - Universal R1 DVD's for anamorphic transfer
4 & 5 - Anchorbay (Starz) Divimax editions
6 & 7 - UK R2 for anamorphic transfer. There are bootleg producer cuts out there which I hope will someday be released in legit form. I think if Anchorbay had this one we would have seen it already.
8 - R1 Mirimax is fine

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 10-28-07 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-28-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
EXCELLENT!!!

I liked the Q & A sessions with the cast members from the convention the most.
Old 10-28-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Like Nateman said, in the US, Halloween 1, 4, 5, and the 25 Years Of Terror documentary are owned by Anchor Bay. Halloween 2 & 3 are owned by Universal. And Halloween 6, H20, Resurrection, and the Rob Zombie remake are owned by Dimension.
To make things even more complicated, 6, H20, and Resurrection are Dimension before the split (Disney) and the remake -- and any future movies -- are post-split (Weinstein).

So, you're dealing with FOUR different studios for this series in the US. Consequently, you won't be seeing a box set at retail.
Old 10-28-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Worth noting: I believe deleted footage was recently uncovered for Halloween so don't be surprised if Halloween gets a 3+ disc "Ultimate Edition" next year with probably the theatrical cut on Disc 1 and the TV cut on Disc 2 with two new documentaries and a bonus disc, or something like that.
Old 10-31-07, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Worth noting: I believe deleted footage was recently uncovered for Halloween so don't be surprised if Halloween gets a 3+ disc "Ultimate Edition" next year with probably the theatrical cut on Disc 1 and the TV cut on Disc 2 with two new documentaries and a bonus disc, or something like that.
That would actually be nice since this one:

1 - Anchorbay (Starz) 25th Anniversary edition although many still considering the old OOP 2 disk LE to be definitive due to color timing changes on the 25th Anniversary edition. The LE has the TV cut though

is OOP and the fact that I bought the one that is currently out for only $4.99.
Old 10-31-07, 09:10 AM

Halloween 3 is also cut and in wrong aspect ratio in UK and Finland, don't know about other Region 2 countries.

Unfortunately, it does have a commentary which the Universal R1 DVD doesn't have.
Old 10-31-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That footage was discovered by Synapse Films and I don't believe Anchor Bay owns it.
Old 10-31-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
That footage was discovered by Synapse Films and I don't believe Anchor Bay owns it.
Doesn't it automatically become the property of whoever owns the rights to the film? It seems like this footage wouldn't just immediately belong to those who found it: copyright law can't possibly be "finders, keepers".
Old 10-31-07, 12:14 PM
Banned

At one time there were plenty of 'import' sets for sale on Ebay, not sure of the quality but they had all the movies in one set. That is definitely the only way to get them all in one shot.
Old 10-31-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't it automatically become the property of whoever owns the rights to the film? It seems like this footage wouldn't just immediately belong to those who found it: copyright law can't possibly be "finders, keepers".

Don May Jr. of Synapse Films gave Fangoria the exclusive news of an amazing discovery regarding John Carpenter’s HALLOWEEN: “What we’ve got is pretty much all the unused original camera negative from John Carpenter’s original HALLOWEEN,” he says (see another photo below). In conjunction with friend Billy Kirkus, Synapse was able to obtain these materials and save them from heading into a trash bin. “Luckily, Billy was able to find this material before it was destroyed,” May tells Fango. “The story on how we got the negative is a long one, but we’ll save it for when we’re able to showcase the materials in some way. Kirkus should be commended for pretty much saving the Holy Grail of horror films.
Old 10-31-07, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by phatboy
I got the 25th anniversary edition last night at bestbuy and saw the other Halloweens were on sale. My question is how come there hasn't been a box set released? Is it b/c they're waiting for the new Halloween to come out so they can make it into a newer boxset?
There's a seller on Ebay that sells custom made boxes for DVD franchises. I personally haven't bought any from him, but they appear to be of good quality. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post Ebay links here so I am not going to. Just do a search under "HALLOWEEN COLLECTION - DVD case - Box" & you'll come across it.
Old 10-31-07, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lanemyer74
There's a seller on Ebay that sells custom made boxes for DVD franchises. I personally haven't bought any from him, but they appear to be of good quality. I'm not sure if we're allowed to post Ebay links here so I am not going to. Just do a search under "HALLOWEEN COLLECTION - DVD case - Box" & you'll come across it.
I have seen these 'custom' cases before, these are NOT official items and this seller/designer is using copyrighted images for his tin cans. How he can sell someone else's property is beyond me. As for the Halloween case, it's only a tin box that you can put 8 single dvds in. Not very impressive in my opinion and it's illegal.
Old 10-31-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JLBkret
How he can sell someone else's property is beyond me.
You can do whatever you want as long as you don't get caught.

Selling a DVD case is pretty small potatoes. I don't see many studios bothering to send a cease and desist letter to someone selling small volume of things like this to fellow collectors. It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned and isn't taking any money out of any studio's pocket. (If anything, it's adding money, by encouraging people to buy every installment -- Universal is probably happy to get the Halloween III sales.)

That being said, I concur that these aren't particularly impressive. And can become obsolete pretty quickly if new films (or new DVD editions with different dimensions) get released. Unless you're some sort of hardcore collector, I don't see the appeal of these custom boxes.
Old 10-31-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JLBkret
I have seen these 'custom' cases before, these are NOT official items and this seller/designer is using copyrighted images for his tin cans. How he can sell someone else's property is beyond me. As for the Halloween case, it's only a tin box that you can put 8 single dvds in. Not very impressive in my opinion and it's illegal.

His name is Paul Champagne and his cases are awesome. He is well known in the industry.

The studios are aware of him and they allow him to use their property.

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.