Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs: How many is too many?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDs: How many is too many?

Although I started buying DVDs in 2000 or so, my collection was always pretty modest in size, but over the past year, it's doubled or maybe even tripled in size. That said, my collection is still probably tiny compared to a lot of the people on here (I'm probably at 100 or so, and that's counting each individual disc in TV sets). But as I just recently filled up the bookcase that I've been using to store the DVDs, it got me thinking about where to draw the line. At ~100, my collection is already starting to seem way too big, and yet there are still plenty of other movies and a handful of TV sets that are on my to-buy list.

I'm pretty discriminating with what I buy and am pretty good at knowing whether a particular movie is something that I'm actually going to want to keep revisiting over the years, but the problem is that there are a LOT of movies that fit that bill. Also, I'm increasingly becoming aware that there's only so much time to devote to watching stuff. Obviously there's a real satisfaction in owning all of your favorites, but if, realistically, I'm only going to be watching those favorites once every five years (if that!), do I really need to own them all? As much as I love Seinfeld, for example, do I really need to own all nine seasons when I've already seen every episode 5+ times and there are 4 episodes airing every day in syndication? Probably not, but that's what I'm trying to figure out.

So, how do you guys deal with managing the size of your collections? And what are your personal reasons for wanting to own so many DVDs?
Old 10-26-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No number is too large, as long as you own all the things you want, and you're not just buying to increase your quantity.
Old 10-26-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as your happy with what you have and don't overbuy if you don't plan on watching them!
Old 10-26-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife has complained periodically that we have too many dvd's (1600+). I told her that I would be happy to thin out her chick flicks first, followed by the Lifetime type dramas. That usually puts an end to the complaining.

I want to have so many dvd's because I am paying for access to watch whatever I want when I want. I don't have to run to Blockbuster or wait for Netflix to arrive, though I do rent certain titles from Blockbuster and I do see the value that Netflix provides to people.

Sometimes I buy a dvd on impulse and later on realize I won't watch it enough to warrant holding on to it. Those are sold or traded in...and now and then I prune the collection and may sell off 50 titles for the same reason. Also, when my children get older, I will sell most of the dvds that were purchased for them that they grew out of. That way, I can buy more dvds for me.

In retrospect, it is treated in the same way that a CD collection is treated.

...and yes, I do have to own all nine seasons of Seinfeld. I rarely watch network television, let alone shows in syndiaction.
Old 10-26-07, 08:45 PM

I end up buying movies I want and only films and tv I want. However that being said I did start my collection about 1999 or so and am at 1348 as of today ( recently changed storing system ) but sadly enough I have movies from 3 months ago I purchased and have yet got around to watching as i explained to my wife I purchase them when they come out becuase other wise I may forget I wanted to see it.

No number is to big buy what you like and like what you buy.
Old 10-26-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I think that for me 75+ is too much. I've had over many more than this at once, but I trimmed my collection. When it starts to build up, I go through my DVDs and try to honestly figure out what ones I will rewatch, and what I won't.
Old 10-26-07, 09:30 PM

I have upwards of a 1000, but it's too painful to part with them. Though there are many many I don't plan to watch ever again.
Old 10-26-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is no such thing as too much I believe...I think you should buy as many as you can afford and as space in your house allows
Old 10-26-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think there is too much. I have slowed down my DVD habit. I used to hit any good sale to get something that is a collectors movie (ex: any "classic" movie), a movie I heard was good or a movie that belongs in my collection because I have other movies from the same director. That was getting to be too much spending because chances are I would only want to watch that movie once.

Now I only get DVD's that I really want. There are still some directors/actors that I want to collect but I've slowed that down. Now I'm trying to cut down my collection a bit. I find that hard to do because I feel that every movie is a movie I want to keep.
Old 10-26-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gotrice487
There is no such thing as too much I believe...I think you should buy as many as you can afford and as space in your house allows
I agree 100%.
Old 10-26-07, 09:57 PM

There's no such thing as "too much" but there's definitely a such thing as "too much crap."
Old 10-26-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the exact number is 1,349,455. Yes... that's too much.

Now we can close this thread, yes?
Old 10-26-07, 10:00 PM

I'm almost at 2500 and that's not too much. Sure they're some titles I could part with, but at this point, why bother. I have everything that I want that is on DVD and its pretty much new releases and catalog titles not on DVD for me to come.
Old 10-26-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you start buying the same dvd more than once because you don't think you own it in the first place. At that point you need to go through your collection and remember what it is you have in the first place.

I've done this at least 5 times already. I also went through my collection today and found quite a few things I forgot I had ever bought.

Don't let that stop you from buying stuff, just remember what you've already bought.

I actually got saved one. I watched my copy of Brain Damage and the disc crapped out towards the end of the movie. It had been so long since I bought it and it's OOP so replacing it wouldn't be easy. Fortunately, a few months later while going through stuff I discovered I had another copy. Yay me. Now I can finish it.
Old 10-26-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have around 450 and I think it is too much for me. I have too much crap. I'm gonna try and half it within the next two years.
Old 10-26-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by dman988
I have upwards of a 1000, but it's too painful to part with them. Though there are many many I don't plan to watch ever again.
That's the key for me. I ask for myself for each one, do I plan on watching this again in the future? As long as the answer is yes, I don't have a problem with the number of DVDs I own.
Old 10-26-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess it depends on how many you consider too much. My collection is never finished.
Old 10-26-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
As long as you enjoy the movie that you are watching, I say go for it. If you're buying any old movie just to pad your collection, then you should reconsider. That's just how I look at it.
Old 10-27-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by septimus
As much as I love Seinfeld, for example, do I really need to own all nine seasons when I've already seen every episode 5+ times and there are 4 episodes airing every day in syndication?
No, you only need to own seasons 1-7. Seasons 8 and 9 (w/o Larry David) were, at best, mediocre.

By the way, the answer to the question in the thread title is... 634

Yes, I'm in need of serious medical attention.
Old 10-27-07, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you having mental problems or something? Feel guilty?

Then you should to stick to blockbuster renting stuff for $4 a piece.
Old 10-27-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It seems like we have two camps: people who think some number is too many and people who don't consider it an issue at all. I'm curious about something- how does everyone approach accumulating other kinds of libraries: books, comic books, music, video games? And if you think some number of DVDs is too many, do you happen to collect anything else?

I'm closing in on 1200 DVDs. I have several times as many CDs and books. I'd easily give it all up if I could have some instantaneous on-demand service that would let me read/watch/listen to whatever I wanted at any time, without any loss of quality. (and if I could have some watchdog service that made sure the content wasn't being censored or manipulated)
Old 10-27-07, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started collecting DVDs late last year. Now my collection is close to a hundred and space is bit of concern already. There will always be great movies out there waiting to be discovered and bought.
Old 10-27-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i own almost 900 dvds and i don't plan on ever stopping. by reading the bargain forum and using CH it's really not that expensive of a hobby. my only concern is storage.
Old 10-27-07, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm around 1175, growing rapidly. As long as they are cheap (ie. Hollywood video closeouts at $1 each) they are going to keep piling up, someday I'll watch them all...
Old 10-27-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i own almost 900 dvds and i don't plan on ever stopping. by reading the bargain forum and using CH it's really not that expensive of a hobby. my only concern is storage.
same for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.