Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jeepers Creepers SE missing all the features?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought the Special Edition DVD of Jeepers Creepers, but none of the features listed on the back of the case are actually on the disc. The DVDTalk review of the disc states it is a flip-disc with the movie on one side and features on the other, but my disc is not... it has disc art.

I know this is an older release, but has anyone else had this happen? I'm hesitant to return it because I figure they might all be like this. Maybe I should write to MGM...

Last edited by Living Dead; 10-26-07 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like another silent re-issue to me. I'd try to exchange it first, then call customer service if it's the same thing.
Old 10-26-07, 03:32 PM

I suppose I could return it tonight.

I found the number for MGM, and the woman I talked to was useless. She insisted there was no SE of Jeepers Creepers, and that I must have a "different" movie. She kept insisitng I must have the sequel, as though I can't tell the difference.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by Living Dead; 10-26-07 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a SE of the first film,it's just OOP. There were two versions of it. One a double sided dvd,and another a 2 disc release(it didn't have disc art from what I'm told).

So it sounds like maybe they reprinted the wrong cover and included the new single disc bare bones edition. Either way,you should get a refund and or corrected copy!
Old 10-26-07, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we talking about the lenticular packaged DVD?
Old 10-27-07, 04:32 AM

If only it were released missing the movie...
Old 10-27-07, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks "Cool New Member" for adding such valued discussion.
Old 10-27-07, 06:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LordStaxxus
If only it were released missing the movie...
I happen to think it's one of the finest American horror films ever made. When it came out on DVD, I rented the 2-sided edition but the first pressing had a problem and the film wouldn't play on my DVD player. I researched it on the Net and found out it was a problem for many people who owned certain DVD players. I finally only watched it on a pan-and-scan VHS version (which was horrible - see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0263488/usercomments-585). I remember that the extras on the 2-sided edition played fine on that first rental. I don't know if there was a recall exactly but there certainly was a lot of bad blood with the fans. When the second DVD pressing came out, it was bare bones with the commentary, which made be very happy. The (Canadian) edition I have does not mention extras it doesn't have but it's also full screen/widescreen optional, which takes up a lot of space. I guess it's fair to say that this film has had a troubled history on DVD.

I'm guessing the edition you own was maybe put out as a freebie mail-out replacement to the people who experienced problems with the film side of the 2-sider? Who knows!

Last edited by baracine; 10-27-07 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-27-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xage
Are we talking about the lenticular packaged DVD?
I bought the lenticular packaged DVD. The only special feature listed on it is a director's commentary, and I can confirm that that commentary is on the disc {I listened to it while working on a few things}.

Last edited by mrpeavey; 10-27-07 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-27-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I have the non-special edition, with the artwork on the disc. Has the audio commentary with Victor Salva. But that's it.

Living Dead, can you take a pic of what you got?
Old 10-27-07, 10:19 PM
Banned

This stripped down Jeepers Creepers dvd has been out for years. MGM pulled this kinda shit with thelma & Louise as well..
Old 10-28-07, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Thanks "Cool New Member" for adding such valued discussion.
No problem, "DVD Talk Endlessly Bleeding The Consumer Dry With Useless Adjectives Such As 'Ultimate Edition' Edition"!
Old 10-28-07, 02:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LordStaxxus
No problem, "DVD Talk Endlessly Bleeding The Consumer Dry With Useless Adjectives Such As 'Ultimate Edition' Edition"!
You'd better chill out, or you won't last long in here, LS. Go read the rules again (if you bothered to read them at all the first time).

And DVD Talk has nothing to do with what different editions are named.
Old 10-28-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I just bought the Special Edition DVD of Jeepers Creepers, but none of the features listed on the back of the case are actually on the disc. The DVDTalk review of the disc states it is a flip-disc with the movie on one side and features on the other, but my disc is not... it has disc art.

I know this is an older release, but has anyone else had this happen? I'm hesitant to return it because I figure they might all be like this. Maybe I should write to MGM...
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
There is a SE of the first film,it's just OOP. There were two versions of it. One a double sided dvd,and another a 2 disc release(it didn't have disc art from what I'm told).
i own one of each...

i just got them out and looked at them...

it's a silent re-issue.... the REAL SE had a dual sided disc... and a second content disc...

neither had artwork on the two disc...

the OP is right they didn't change the cover at all... just dropped the second disc...

and yes the skirt at MGM is lying or stupid... or both (most likely)...

i own them both...
Old 10-28-07, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I have the non-special edition, with the artwork on the disc. Has the audio commentary with Victor Salva. But that's it.

Living Dead, can you take a pic of what you got?

Well, I already took it back to CC and am watching a few used copies on ebay. I've emailed a few sellers to make certain they are selling the double sided SE's.

Polezei, I would say that I have the same disc that you have, but mine was placed in a SE case that listed many features that were not actually on the disc. The one that I purchased (and two more that CC opened for me when I made the return) was labeled as "Special Edition" on a red banner across the top of the package and listed a whole ton of features (documentaries, deleted scenes, etc) on the back. But the disc inside had audio commentary and cast & crew pics, and that was it.

It seems that as others have said they have silently replaced their double sided feature-packed DVD's with a stripped down version. I saw this version at the store too... it did not say SE on the front and listed exactly what was on the disc, which in that case was only the commentary. Little did I know that when I chose the SE I'd be getting the same damn disc.

Last edited by Living Dead; 10-28-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
i own one of each...

i just got them out and looked at them...

it's a silent re-issue.... the REAL SE had a dual sided disc... and a second content disc...

neither had artwork on the two disc...
Wait a minute... are you saying that the SE has TWO double sided discs? I just assumed it was one double sided disc with the movie on one side and the features on the other.

This sure is a lot of headache for a bargain bin DVD.
Old 10-28-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They did change the cover. The Special Editions should actually say Special Edition on the cover. I've seen discs that don't.
Old 10-29-07, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
You'd better chill out, or you won't last long in here, LS. Go read the rules again (if you bothered to read them at all the first time).
Won't "last long"? I've been here for more than a year.

I wasn't aware I WASN'T "chilled out" to begin with. I must have missed myself smashing windows and flinging feces at the wall...

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
And DVD Talk has nothing to do with what different editions are named.
But DVD Talk has everything to do with the user status lines. I didn't make "Cool New User" up myself, THEY did. And someone making a snide comment about it in such a way as to imply that it means anything about the person it's thrust upon arbitrarily, I'll gladly turn it back on them. Which I did.

Nice to see people are all about quantity of posts determining a poster's worth, not quality.
Old 10-29-07, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
They did change the cover to remove the extras, and the front cover has the "MGM DVD" logo on the top instead of "Special Edition", but a few old covers made it out with the new discs. I thought I'd lucked out when I picked one up, but the disc inside was 1-sided. I also got "Dark Blue" a few months ago which has been reissued without the pan & scan version- the cover of the one I got indicated both, but it was a 1-sided disc with only widescreen. Not as big a deal there, much preferable to Sony dropping the widescreen side instead!

MGM did the same thing with "Legally Blonde", which was a 2-sided disc with both wide and foolscreen on side A and extras on side B, then reissued it with just side A. A few copies have come into stores recently with the "Special Edition" covers, but I opened a few and the discs inside were all 1-sided.

It's annoying whenever they remove content. They should at least keep selling the full discs at the higher price if they want to drop the price and put out a movie-only disc.
Old 11-01-07, 01:43 PM

The most annoying thing is that their employees know nothing about it and treat customers like children when they call in to complain. The woman I talked to said NO ONE had called in with his type of problem before. Don't know if i's true or not, but I can't imagine many people take the time to call studios, so it probably is.

I just got the 2 sided disc delivered from an ebay seller yesterday.

Last edited by Living Dead; 11-01-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 04:31 PM

I'm not quite sure if it's relevant, but I think a piece of advise will do no harm - if you're multiregional try to get a Dutch release of JC. It has by far more bonus features then R1 including an hour-long documentary.
Old 11-01-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giggles
I'm not quite sure if it's relevant, but I think a piece of advise will do no harm - if you're multiregional try to get a Dutch release of JC. It has by far more bonus features then R1 including an hour-long documentary.
You mean it has B-roll and interviews. The hour-long documentary "Behind the Peepers" is the primary bonus feature on the original US SE.
Old 11-02-07, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
You mean it has B-roll and interviews. The hour-long documentary "Behind the Peepers" is the primary bonus feature on the original US SE.
My bad - exactly what you said...