Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Racing games for XB360?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Racing games for XB360?

Looking for a racing game, either "simulation" or arcade style, for the XB360. Don't want to spend over $30 so that rules out the new ones... PGR4, Forza 2, NFS Pro Street.

Out of the oldies, which was the best? Burnout Revenge, NFS MW, NFS Carbon, Test Drive Unlimited?

Also, I am not that good at driving games with the controller and do not want to get a racing wheel. Don't care about online play and want something with average difficulty skill achievements but not too hard or too online based.

Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, nothing even compares to Burnout Revenge. I've played Test Drive and NFS, and while both fun, the combination of controls and carnage in Burnout makes it one of my favorite 360 games period.

Burnout Paradise is coming out soon, and I think you can find Revenge used for around 20 bucks. I couldn't recommend it more highly, it's probably the oldest game I own that's still in constant rotation.
Old 10-26-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not that familiar with the Burnout series. Is it considered more arcade than sim? Do you try to wreck other cars? Does it have a lot of driveable cars?

Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Need For Speed Underground. Way better than Carbon in my opinion and it's still a blast to play multi-player (ie people in the same room).
Old 10-26-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooter
I'm not that familiar with the Burnout series. Is it considered more arcade than sim? Do you try to wreck other cars? Does it have a lot of driveable cars?

Thanks
Burnout is as arcade as they come. Nowhere in the realm of a sim. The focus is speed and racing against traffic. So yes there is a ton of carnage, but not the focus of the game. There are Crash modes where all you do is try and cause the biggest pile-up, but that is a secondary mode to the main game.

I would put Test Drive somewhere between arcade and sim. Not to heavy on either and is a good middle ground.

My vote goes to Burnout though.
Old 10-26-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Another recommendation for Burnout Revenge. It's all arcade style racing. Basically there's a bunch of different types of race types, including just plain racing, one mode where you try and cause the biggest crash and most destruction, as well as races were you try and simply take out the other cars.

It's also pretty simple to get into. Some stages are on the difficult side, and you might need to get used to the sense of speed in the game, but it's a load of fun.

I have NFS: Carbon that my roomate bought me and i've barely touched it.
Old 10-26-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
Need For Speed Underground. Way better than Carbon in my opinion and it's still a blast to play multi-player (ie people in the same room).
Need for Speed Underground didn't even come out on the 360. I think you may be confused with Most Wanted which is the year before Carbon.

I still think Burnout Revenge is the best.
Old 10-26-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd rank them like so:

Burnout: Revenge
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Project Gotham Racing 3
Repeatedly kicking yourself in the testicles
Ridge Racer 6
Old 10-26-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, thanks everyone!

I can't find a car listing for Burnout. Anyone have a link? I'd prefer a good mix of car types... muscle (Fords/Chevy), Euro (BMW/Ferrari), Asian (Toyota/Nissan). Which one has the best mix of cars?
Old 10-26-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Burnout doesn't have real cars, so if that's your thing then you might want to look at the Need for Speed games.
Old 10-26-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,080 Likes on 655 Posts
I recently bought both Burnout & Need for Speed: Most Wanted for my 360. I found both of these for under $20 new so you can find good deals on them.

I would own both if you like arcade racing. Burnout's graphics, wrecking ability, & sheer speed makes it one of the best on the market.

But my heart belongs to NFS: Most Wanted though. God I love this game. Running from the cops and hearing their realistic chatter as you speed thru highways and towns is just too much fun. The cops react as you would expect them too and the graphics are impressive in my opinion. The campaign is fun and there is a free-style mode of just driving around the highways and getting into police pursuits if you want to just do that. On top of that are some extra challenges that are fun as well.

I like the free style mode as it works well for me since when I played GTA, I hardly ever followed the missions and just got into police chases all the time (of course in NFS:MW you can't hijack cars or shoot the cops ).

Both are great games. I don't like sims so I never play those. I look forward to DiRT getting a price reduction (hopefully soon).
Old 10-26-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll try the demos for all assuming they are out there. But it sounds like I can rule out Burnout (no real cars, crash em up style).

Is NFS Wanted better than the newer release NFS Carbon?

No mention of Test Drive Unlimited. I know it has a lot of cars. How is the gameplay compared to NFS?

Thanks
Old 10-26-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Try Burnout. It's not all about crashing. I don't get the negative vote because a lack of real cars. When you're going 230 mph down the road, the last thing you are looking at is your car.

I mentioned Test Drive. It's a solid game. HUGE map, tons to do and unlock. You can buy houses with big garages and have a car collection. The first few cars you get handle like ass though which is almost a turnoff. May be common sense, but once you get the better cars, they control better making the game more fun.
Old 10-26-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I vote for Test Drive Unlimited. The gameplay hook -- that the whole island of Oahu is accessible and that everyone currently playing the game is on the island simultaneously is remarkable. So is the details of the island. I grew up there and can tell you, while most of the buildings are generic, the streets are right-on. I'll be playing with my best friend and we'll agree to meet somewhere like the zoo, the stadium or Hanauma Bay and then we'll both drive there and meet. To me, THAT's what next-gen is all about.
Old 10-26-07, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
But my heart belongs to NFS: Most Wanted though. God I love this game. Running from the cops and hearing their realistic chatter as you speed thru highways and towns is just too much fun. The cops react as you would expect them too and the graphics are impressive in my opinion. The campaign is fun and there is a free-style mode of just driving around the highways and getting into police pursuits if you want to just do that. On top of that are some extra challenges that are fun as well.

I like the free style mode as it works well for me since when I played GTA, I hardly ever followed the missions and just got into police chases all the time (of course in NFS:MW you can't hijack cars or shoot the cops ).
Holy shit, for some reason I didn't make the connection that Most Wanted was the spiritual successor to NFS: Hope Pursuit. That is one of my favorite racers, so I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of Most Wanted. The freestyle mode sounds awesome.
Old 10-26-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooter
No mention of Test Drive Unlimited. I know it has a lot of cars. How is the gameplay compared to NFS?

Thanks
I knew I forgot something.

Test Drive Unlimited is by far the best out of all of these. Aside from Burnout, it's the only purchase I didn't regret.
Old 10-26-07, 05:28 PM

burnout revenge has my vote as well. good fun game and the online aspects are pretty fun. after that i'd either go with pgr3 or nfs: carbon
Old 10-26-07, 05:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love Test Drive Unlimited! NFS:MW is also a good one, but I definitely spent more time playing TDU.
Old 10-26-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Test Drive Unlimited more arcade or sim? Is there a lot of customization or can you just play the game.

This is the first I have heard of this game and am curious since I love arcade racing games but hate sim/heavy customization games.
Old 10-26-07, 09:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it's a good mix of arcade and sim. Nothing as crazy as PGR3, and not as goofy as Burnout. And the graphics are awesome!
Old 10-26-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely don't rule out Burnout. It doesn't have real cars, but don't let that stop you, you would be missing out on an amazing game for a very, very minor detail. Burnout Revenge ruined some other racing games for me. After racing around corners at 200 mph (with an amazing sense of speed) and making your opponents crash, you won't be able to go back to a game like PGR3 where you are doing cone challenges on narrowly confined tracks.

Although I haven't gotten around to playing the NFS games or Test Drive Unlimited yet.
Old 10-27-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PGR 3, the kudos and cone stuff make it fun even when you dont want to strictly race. Plus you get geometry wars.

I highly recommend Forza 2 though, you can get it on half.com for $30 new.
Old 10-27-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm thinking about firing up PGR3...I just found the Wireless MS racing Wheel for $40 (with PGR3) at Kmart.

But i gotta vote for Burnout. I've never had as much fun with racing games as I've had with Burnout (3 and Revenge). It's fast, it's arcade style, and it's effing brutal on some of the wrecks.

I know it's out of the range for this thread, but I'm thinking about grabbing Sega Rally Revo. I love Sega Rally...it's not realistic at all, but damn is it fun. I just played the Dreamcast SR2 like 2 weeks ago for about 2 hours one night, and laughed the whole time.
Old 10-27-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Is Test Drive Unlimited more arcade or sim? Is there a lot of customization or can you just play the game.
Am I on somebody's ignore list?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I would put Test Drive somewhere between arcade and sim. Not to heavy on either and is a good middle ground.

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
But i gotta vote for Burnout. I've never had as much fun with racing games as I've had with Burnout (3 and Revenge). It's fast, it's arcade style, and it's effing brutal on some of the wrecks. .
It's also brutal in the difficulty department when going for all golds. Took me about 60 hours to complete ALL golds.
Old 10-27-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just took you off ignore:

But I wanted an honest answer...not a politician's answer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.