DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Stooges review?

Old 10-26-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stooges review?

Where can I find a review of The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One: 1934-1936? I'm more interested in knowing about audio/video quality than content. Bottom line... I really just want to know if they have been restored and look good.
Old 10-26-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
That set is on its way to your truly but I probably won't receive it until sometime next week....But I will try to get a review up ASAP.
Old 10-26-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Where can I find a review of The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One: 1934-1936? I'm more interested in knowing about audio/video quality than content. Bottom line... I really just want to know if they have been restored and look good.
For what its worth, DVDtown has a review of this set just posted today. They have been remastered, but the review doesn't mention how they compare to the previous releases by Columbia Pictures. I hope S. Galbraith's review can shed some light on that. What is nice is that the set contains the first 19 shorts in chronological order.
Old 10-26-07, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As found on Amazon.com & ThreeStooges.net:

To Stooge or not to Stooge, that is the question. For almost a decade since Sony began issuing The Three Stooges shorts on DVD, fans have been asking when chronological ordered sets would be released. During the last nine years, previous compilations have been a mixed bag of quality prints; odd pairings of titles; ill fated "themed" discs, and a color/B&W series. Some shorts were duplicated several times, while other films never saw the light of day. The number of shorts appearing on each disc steadily decreased. If you've felt burned by previous DVD releases that had splices, missing dialogue or deleted scenes, worry not.

Sony got the message. The Three Stooges Collection 1934-1936 is the first in a series of DVD's that presents the shorts in their original release order. For ardent fans, it's a knucklehead's dream. For the beginner, it is the proper way to be introduced to the legendary trio. Each short has been restored to its original running time.

The first 19 of these episodes are featured in this collection. But they don't look like they did on TV. Sony has lovingly restored each short to its original brilliance and the results are nothing short of spectacular. The quality of the restoration is on par with that of Disney, the Looney Tunes series and classic films like "Wizard Of Oz", "Casablanca", and "Singin' In The Rain."

I've seen each of these Curly shorts more times than I should admit to, and watching these newly mastered films is like seeing them for the first time. Gone are the hairline scratches, dust, pops and other debris commonly found on TV and previous VHS and DVD prints. The black and white resolution is rich and some of the shorts look like they have a glossy finish to them. On "Three Little Pigskins", the picture is so clear at times, I can see the beauty parlor sign behind the boys and read that a polish and fingerwave cost 79 cents. The picture quality is that pristine! Those glorious sound effects jump from my speakers. The oldest film on the set is 73 years, and it looks beautiful on a widescreen HD TV.

So, if you're still asking yourself the question: to Stooge or not to Stooge, the answer should be as predictable as a slap from Moe. Why, Soitinly!