Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Day Watch'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-25-07, 08:45 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Thomas Spurlin's DVD review of Day Watch at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31116 and...wanted to also note that the WATCH movies are like KILL BILL or LOTR in that they're really one long movie broken up into more easily viewable (digestible) sections. While you needn't have seen NIGHT WATCH before DAY WATCH, it makes the experience richer. Interestingly enough, the exposition in DAY WATCH also clarifies the narrative in the first movie. Of course, most long narratives reveal unseen nuances as they progress. Taken together, the WATCH movies beat they hell out of typical Hollywood action movies. I didn't feel like I had to leave my brain at the door.
Old 10-31-07, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this is indeed the original Russian cut of the film? I can't find anywhere that says without a shadow of a doubt that this is the original authentic cut of the film. Also, if this is the cut version that was presented to the rest of the world, then what was cut or is missing?

Also, have the animated subtitles returned on this DVD as they were seen in Night Watch?
Old 10-31-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Taken together, the WATCH movies beat they hell out of typical Hollywood action movies. I didn't feel like I had to leave my brain at the door.
I have to disagree with this. While there always seemed to be a lot happening, it always appeared to be due to sloppiness moreso than actual developments. Neither movie flowed particularly well and came across as sloppy rush jobs in places, imho.

They aren't terrible, but they basically are your typical Hollywood action movies.

Also, have the animated subtitles returned on this DVD as they were seen in Night Watch?
No, sadly. The subs are optional and not animated this time around (though they were animated in theaters).