Reaper--"What About Blob?"--10/23/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reaper--"What About Blob?"--10/23/07

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Sam is delivered a copy of the contract his parents signed, but it is thousands of pages long and in Latin so his dad offers to help translate it. Meanwhile, Sam finds he can't stop slipping and falling when he walks and realizes it is connected to the latest demon. With Josie's help, the trio discover the escaped soul is the former head of a chemical company that dumped toxic waste.

Is anyone except me still watching this show?
Old 10-23-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still watching. For now.
Old 10-23-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've not been impressed with any of the eps, but somehow I'm still watching...I don't know why, but I am.
Old 10-24-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decent episode. I like that they are adding a little bit of mystery with Sam's father burning that page from his contract.
Old 10-24-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would watch if there was no conflict, but I can't say I care enough about the show to keep up. It feels like it should have been a midseason replacement or even a scifi show. I don't mean that as a knock, but I think it would have done better without all the competition in my eyes.
Old 10-24-07, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still watching. It's been just enjoyable enough for me not to drop. I thought this episode was the best one yet.
Old 10-24-07, 08:08 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm still watching and still enjoying.

Interesting that they're starting to roll out a longer-term plotline with Sam's father.
Old 10-24-07, 09:01 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still watching -- it's one of my favorite new shows. Good comedy dialogue makes up for the admittedly weak demon-of-the-week plots. But things usually pick up when Old Scratch drops by. Keeping Sam and Andy apart seems to be as much a plot development as burning the contract page, so it'll be interesting to see what's up there.
Old 10-24-07, 09:29 AM

I'm still watching this mainly for Ray Wise and Missy Peregrym , but honestly, I wouldn't miss the show if it doesn't make it. I'm waiting for the "Devil viciously tortures and kills Sock episode" Maybe for sweeps.

Ray Wise's character talks Sam out of telling Andi his secret and potentially denying us, the audience, more Andi screentime in future episodes? He really IS the devil.

Missy Peregrym must have the easiest job on this show. This is all she has to memorize each week:

Scene 1
Andi: Hey Sam, you want to go to ________ tonight?
Sam (Weakly): Sure, I guess. That sounds OK.
Andi: See you at 7.

Scene 2 (the next day)
Andi: So what happened to you last night?
Sam (Wimpishly): I'm sorry I had to [lame excuse]
Andi: What's going on? Why can't you be honest with me.
Sam (Feebly): [Lame, stupid excuse] Meet me after work, so we can talk.

Scene 3 (the next day)
Andi: So where were you?
Sam (Punily): [Dumbass excuse]
Andi (Angry): See you later, Sam. (Walks off)
Old 10-24-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really like the premise of the show but the execution is very high/low. I typically watch it if I'm home and nothing else is on, but I don't feel overly annoyed with myself if I miss it.
Old 10-24-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I really like the premise of the show but the execution is very high/low. I typically watch it if I'm home and nothing else is on, but I don't feel overly annoyed with myself if I miss it.

The premise is really cool but I do agree with yo about the execution.
Old 10-24-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MadMark
I'm still watching this mainly for Ray Wise and Missy Peregrym , but honestly, I wouldn't miss the show if it doesn't make it. I'm waiting for the "Devil viciously tortures and kills Sock episode" Maybe for sweeps.

Ray Wise's character talks Sam out of telling Andi his secret and potentially denying us, the audience, more Andi screentime in future episodes? He really IS the devil.

Missy Peregrym must have the easiest job on this show. This is all she has to memorize each week:

Scene 1
Andi: Hey Sam, you want to go to ________ tonight?
Sam (Weakly): Sure, I guess. That sounds OK.

Scene 2 (the next day)
Andi: So what happened to you last night?
Sam (Wimpishly): I'm sorry I had to [lame excuse]
Andi: What's going on? Why can't you be honest with me.
Sam (Feebly): [Lame, stupid excuse] Meet me after work, so we can talk.

Scene 3 (the next day)
Andi: So where were you?
Sam (Punily): [Dumbass excuse]
Andi (Angry): See you later, Sam. (Walks off)

Kinda the same formula they had with Kristin Kreuk in a few seasons of Smallville. At least she had a little more depth to her.
Old 10-24-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I'm surprised. Over ten posts and no one has mentioned the MILFy qualities of Andi's mom?
Old 10-24-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty good episode. Not as funny as some, but it looks like they are trying advance something with the contract and Sam's father.
The weak point is the whole Sam/Andi relationship. It seems like she goes from being best friends to being finished with him every episode. It would probably be better for him just to tell her so she can join in on their demon hunting.
Old 10-24-07, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Pretty good episode. Not as funny as some, but it looks like they are trying advance something with the contract and Sam's father.
The weak point is the whole Sam/Andi relationship. It seems like she goes from being best friends to being finished with him every episode. It would probably be better for him just to tell her so she can join in on their demon hunting.
It seems like Andi wants Sam, but she wants him to get up the balls to tell her that he wants her too. The devil's ploys to keep them apart make it seem that she could unravel his hold on Sam. Maybe he'll finally get better at lying and be able to actually get the girl... but that wouldn't work with his character.
Old 10-24-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show gets lamer by the week. At least it didn't take 40 minutes for him to open up the vessel this time.
Old 10-24-07, 04:19 PM

I agree that the show has some flaws but I kinda enjoy watching it. Look foward to it each week and I don't know why.
Old 10-24-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Every episode is pretty much the same; only real difference is the gimmick for the killer and the vessel to catch him.

Maybe I missed this, but why can't the Devil simply return these souls himself? He expends more time and energy interacting with Sam.

Last edited by Finisher; 10-24-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because then we couldn't get that oh so hilarious scene every week where Sock flirts with Dolores Herbig.
Old 10-26-07, 01:18 PM

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-di...p-tv-headlines

ABC Wants More 'Dirty Sexy' Scripts

'Reaper' also gets order for extra teleplays

October 26, 2007

With a possible writers strike now less than a week away, networks are continuing to hedge their bets on their new shows.

The latest shows to get a little extra love, but not a full-season pickup, are ABC's "Dirty Sexy Money" and The CW's "Reaper." Both shows have received orders for six additional scripts, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"Dirty Sexy Money," which stars Peter Krause as the lawyer for a super-rich New York family headed by Donald Sutherland, is averaging a shade under 10 million viewers a week thus far this season. It's also drawing a 3.6 rating among adults 18-49, finishing second in its timeslot (to CBS' "CSI: NY") in both measures.

The well-reviewed "Reaper," meanwhile, is bringing in about 3.25 million viewers and a 1.5 adults 18-49 rating. It stars Bret Harrison ("The Loop") as a young man forced to work as a bounty hunter for the devil (Ray Wise).

Only a handful of shows -- ABC's "Private Practice" and "Pushing Daisies," CBS' "Big Bang Theory" and The CW's "Gossip Girl" -- have earned pickups for the full year (FOX has also ordered another season of its reality show "Kitchen Nightmares"). And on the flip side, networks skittish about not having much original programming in the event of a strike have only cancelled two series: "Nashville" (FOX) and "Viva Laughlin" (CBS).

Meanwhile, more than 10 series have now been given script orders, which give the networks a chance to see what's coming without having to pony up the cost for the production of full episodes.

Chris
Old 10-26-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only saw the pilot (which I loved). Does Kevin Smith direct all the episodes, or just the pilot?
Old 10-26-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just the pilot so far.