Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can't find "Full Metal Jacket" deluxe edition on standard DVD anywhere!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot find the standard DVD version of the deluxe disc of "Full Metal Jacket" anywhere. Best Buy and Wal-Mart didn't have it (neither do their web sites) and amazon, dvdempire and deep discount don't even have it listed. What's up with that? Has anyone been able to find a copy of the deluxe version on standard DVD? I see plenty of the HD-DVD and BluRay listed.
Old 10-23-07, 01:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I believe, although I could be wrong, its exclusive to the Kubrick Box Set
Old 10-23-07, 01:04 PM

Yes, it is exclusive to the new Kubrick set. Only the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions of the Deluxe Edition are available separately.
Old 10-23-07, 01:25 PM

Exclusive to the set. Wow, that bites. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just have to wait for an individual release.
Old 10-23-07, 01:27 PM
Banned

It does not look there is much more on the FMJ than the other release. This was the only movie in the new set to have only one disk. Don't worry about missing anything.
Old 10-23-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JLBkret
It does not look there is much more on the FMJ than the other release. This was the only movie in the new set to have only one disk. Don't worry about missing anything.
There are not many extras on the new FMJ. A major selling point for some folks (who didn't prefer the open matte transfer) was that the movie is in widescreen on this new release.
Old 10-23-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
There are not many extras on the new FMJ. A major selling point for some folks (who didn't prefer the open matte transfer) was that the movie is in widescreen on this new release.
While a widescreen transfer is certainly welcomed, lets hope that the print is vastly improved. I'm eagerly awaiting reviews on this release.
Old 10-24-07, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw you Warner!
Old 10-24-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It also has a commentary (with Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey, and Jay Cocks), making-of documentary, and the trailer. The yack track I sampled in a few bits and it's quite good.
Old 10-25-07, 06:10 AM

huh?

Remastered Picture, Commentary & Making of feauture? What else do you want? Keep the Open Matte DVD if you think you are missing something. There no rule about having just 1 dvd of of a film. But don't try to justify the old open matte version as a reason not to get the new FMJ. The new FMJ isn't just a little better, it's a lot better IMO.
Old 10-25-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Are there plans to ever to release this new version separately?

While there aren't a TON of extras, the ones mentioned here seem to be pretty decent... especially that commentary track.
Old 10-25-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes..thats why I wanted it..really dont understand why its not avaliable separately..dumb decison on Warners
Old 10-25-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Clockwork
huh?

Remastered Picture, Commentary & Making of feauture? What else do you want? Keep the Open Matte DVD if you think you are missing something. There no rule about having just 1 dvd of of a film. But don't try to justify the old open matte version as a reason not to get the new FMJ. The new FMJ isn't just a little better, it's a lot better IMO.
Did I say anything against the new release, or that one should not buy it?

A poster said they felt there wasn't much more than there was on the old release. Obviously there is more, but relative to the new two-discers of Kubrick titles that have come out, I agreed with him/her that the extras were less in quantity. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a matter of record that in the main thread on the Kubrick set, I mentioned that I had sold my old FMJ and am getting the new box set. The open matte version was perfectly watchable, but I would have bought this new version for the widescreen transfer alone, even if it had no extras at all. I am one of the apparent minority that thinks this film is a borderline masterpiece--all of it, not just the basic training sequences.

Clearly my post was misunderstood. It was simply my take on the quantity of extras on the disc, not a recommendation to buy it or not.
Old 10-25-07, 12:05 PM

Clearly my post was misunderstood. It was simply my take on the quantity of extras on the disc, not a recommendation to buy it or not.
I apologize for misunderstanding your post. I thought you hinting at the open matte being the "Correct" version, which is debatable. I didn't mean to offend. I am just excited to have the new FMJ with the commentary.

Last edited by Clockwork; 10-25-07 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
..really dont understand why its not avaliable separately..dumb decison on Warners
Actually it's not a stupid marketing strategy IMO. By holding back FMJ a few months, they are selling more boxsets. After they've sold what they consider a target amount, the new FMJ will come out. You may dislike them for doing this, but it's not stupid. Bottom line more $.

I am the perfect example. If I were picking individual titles, I never would have picked up Eyes Wide Shut, which I haven't seen in many, many years. FMJ is arguably the 2nd or 3rd (?) most popular Kubrick title.

Why is FMJ available on BR & HD? Simple. Both formats are well behind SD DVD. Plus they are trying to jump-start those markets. So sure they will sell early adoptors of these formats copies of FMJ for $18-$22.

Last edited by Clockwork; 10-25-07 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Clockwork
Actually it's not a stupid marketing strategy IMO. By holding back FMJ a few months, they are selling more boxsets. After they've sold what they consider a target amount, the new FMJ will come out. You may dislike them for doing this, but it's not stupid. Bottom line more $.

I am the perfect example. If I were picking individual titles, I never would have picked up Eyes Wide Shut, which I haven't seen in many, many years. FMJ is arguably the 2nd or 3rd (?) most popular Kubrick title.

Why is FMJ available on BR & HD? Simple. Both formats are well behind SD DVD. Plus they are trying to jump-start those markets. So sure they will sell early adoptors of these formats copies of FMJ for $18-$22.
i was waiting for some one to say this..why would anyone buy the boxset if all they are interested in is FMJ?
and if marketing is the case why not make none of them available separately instead of just that one title..wouldnt that sell even more box sets

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 10-25-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
i was waiting for some one to say this..why would anyone buy the boxset if all they are interested in is FMJ?
and if marketing is the case why not make none of them available separately instead of just that one title..wouldnt that sell even more box sets
Well, if the only movie in there they wanted was FMJ, they might pass. But say they were interested in 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket. Instead of just getting 2001 and ACO separately, they might just invest in the whole boxset to get FMJ as well.
Old 10-26-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Well, if the only movie in there they wanted was FMJ, they might pass. .
I was talking only FMJ..if they wanted the others they would probably buy the set anyway..my point was no one buys a whole box set for one movie thus its ridiculous to to think you will sell more box sets by making that ONE movie unavailable separately..
Old 10-26-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm going to hold off on this to see if FMJ will be released seperately in the future. I do have the original dvd movie already, so that will suit me for now (although, I won't have the better, widescreen one, that really bites! ) but I can take it, for now, and if I wan't to see the movie, I will have the older one to watch. Hopefully sometime in the future, they will release it, I'll just have to bite the bullet untill then.
Old 10-26-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts
I already had FMJ on dvd. I picked up the box set mainly for A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and the uncut EWS. Wide version of FMJ is just the bonus!
Old 10-28-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
The only film in the boxset I would be interested in is Full Metal Jacket. I already own the previous version, so I will wait to see if it comes out on its own in the near future.
Old 10-28-07, 03:24 PM

I still think fmj should have gotten the 2 disk treatment it deserves! They could have thrown on more than just the commentary and 1 doc..Yes it's huge difference compared to the open matte release of it but still...Why not have a documentary of Parris Island or Recruit Training today etc. Talk with D.I.'s of today and how the movie influenced them on becoming a Marine D.I. etc. Oh well just a thought.
Old 10-28-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Padding out for 2-disc releases can get annoying. Eyes Wide Shut was really stretching it (the "making-of" doc is one of the worst I've seen). Probably would have been best to just keep it a single-disc edition, with the extras just being the trailers/tv spots, interviews, and a commentary. Maybe the censored orgy scene as an extra.

I try to think of what Criterion would do... in the case of FMJ, they would have had the commentary, trailer(s), interviews, and audition videos (maybe). Since it's not even two hours long, I can't see what WB could add that would justify a 2-disc edition. There's no existing documentary on Paris Island, from what I can find.

2001, ACO, and The Shining justify their 2-disc editions though. Same thing for Sony's 2-disc Dr. Strangelove SE and Criterion's Spartacus.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 10-28-07 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 06:52 PM

Good point about EWS. The features are lacking as well. And they kept the interviews with Spielberg Cruise and Kidman from the other disk. As far as Parris Island docs..ya i don't know of any. Pointless as well because it wasn't even filmed there.
Old 10-28-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my case the only movies in the box set I was interested in was The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and FMJ.

I got the first two for under $30, which means I would have to pay and extra $25 for the boxset just to get a movie that is (IMHO) the lesser of the three.

No sale, maybe someday it will come out on it's own.