Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Request-DVD Review of Roseanne: The Complete Ninth Season

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-23-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious if this title will be reviewed? I have searched the reviews, and noticed that this is the only season not reviewed. It was released last week, and I would love to see this review added. Thanks!
Old 10-23-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's on Jeffrey Robinson's list, so we should see a review soon.
Old 10-23-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
It's on Jeffrey Robinson's list, so we should see a review soon.
Thanks for the information! Is there a thread where we can see what is on each reviewers list?
Old 10-23-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you click on a reviewer's name on their review, or here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/reviewers.php, you can see what they have coming down the pike.
Old 10-23-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m almost finished watching the DVD and boy; I still hate this season as much as I did when it originally aired. Some of the episodes weren’t terrible and I liked how the series finale fixed up the final season but also fu*ked up the entire series at the same time.

One word on the back of the box sums up the final season perfectly; Bittersweet.

I can’t wait to read Jeffrey Robinson’s review on the final season. Roseanne is one of those shows that I ‘Love’ and I’ve loyally watched it for it’s entire original run and I’ve loved it the same (if not more so) with the DVD releases. I’ve been very impressed with how fast Anchor Bay (Starz) has released the series and compared to a lot of TOD titles that you only get 1 or 2 seasons a year; I’m very impressed. Only a little bump at the beginning with the first season being syndicated and some bumps with curtain scenes being edited/cut on the eighth season DVD.
Old 10-24-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
If you click on a reviewer's name on their review, or here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/reviewers.php, you can see what they have coming down the pike.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-07, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
I’m almost finished watching the DVD and boy; I still hate this season as much as I did when it originally aired. Some of the episodes weren’t terrible and I liked how the series finale fixed up the final season but also fu*ked up the entire series at the same time.

One word on the back of the box sums up the final season perfectly; Bittersweet.

I can’t wait to read Jeffrey Robinson’s review on the final season. Roseanne is one of those shows that I ‘Love’ and I’ve loyally watched it for it’s entire original run and I’ve loved it the same (if not more so) with the DVD releases. I’ve been very impressed with how fast Anchor Bay (Starz) has released the series and compared to a lot of TOD titles that you only get 1 or 2 seasons a year; I’m very impressed. Only a little bump at the beginning with the first season being syndicated and some bumps with curtain scenes being edited/cut on the eighth season DVD.
I haven't yet started Season 9. I don't dislike it as much as some others do, and I absolutely LOVE the finale. I like to think of Season 9 as a "dream season" of sorts. Winning money is a dream. Living the life of luxury is a dream. Re-imagining your life is a dream. I enjoy it for what it is. It's certainly the least favorite season of the whole series for me, but, I'm just glad that I have them all on DVD, and am able to watch them whenever I want.
Old 10-24-07, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
I haven't yet started Season 9. I don't dislike it as much as some others do, and I absolutely LOVE the finale. I like to think of Season 9 as a "dream season" of sorts. Winning money is a dream. Living the life of luxury is a dream. Re-imagining your life is a dream. I enjoy it for what it is. It's certainly the least favorite season of the whole series for me, but, I'm just glad that I have them all on DVD, and am able to watch them whenever I want.
Oh yeah, I agree completely; winning the lottery ($108 million fu*king dollars!) and being able to enjoy life after so many years of hard work and no respect is a really dream and the concept was fantastic; the way it was played out didn’t really go as well.

I think the major problem with the final season was that 24 episodes was way too many and if it had a shorter season order like M*A*S*H’s final season (16 episodes) it wouldn’t have felt that it dragged on for so long. Of course, some of the episodes have some important “Dream” sequences that wouldn’t have been shown if there were only 16 episodes.

Roseanne was one of the few series that was actually realistic for its first eight seasons and because the final season was shown from “Roseanne’s book” point-of-view; it’s still realistic.

I’ve heard some people say Married With Children was realistic; not even fu*king close. I love MWC but it’s far from realistic.
Old 10-24-07, 02:16 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I just received my review copy Monday(?). I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, which will be this weekend or the next (at the latest).
Old 10-25-07, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jrobinson
I just received my review copy Monday(?). I'll try to get to it as soon as I can, which will be this weekend or the next (at the latest).
Cool, can't wait!

Just a heads up Jeffrey, in the episode “The Miracle”, the ending where Darlene’s Baby starts moving; the song “Blackbird” has been replaced and its replaced by music similar. The song was used during syndication airings.
Old 10-27-07, 12:13 PM

Just finished watching the DVD and…

Spoiler:
In the 2nd bonus featurette, “Breaking the Sitcom Mold”, Roseanne confirms that the whole series was in fact a book that the character (Roseanne) was writing.
Old 11-05-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the review, jrobinson. While I do agree that Season 9 was the least enjoyable season of the show, as I've said before, I still enjoy it for what it is. I am saddened to see that it receives a Rent It rating. As you said in your review, it is a season that fans will want to pick up, and it does have some quality episodes, especially in the later parts of the season. On top of that, it ends a series that, otherwise, was a wonderful, successful show.

Again, thanks for the review. It's been a long road, getting to here from there. It's nice to finally have the complete series on DVD!