Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Rowling outs Dumbledore

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rowling outs Dumbledore

I cant stop laughing, this is going provide hours of entertainment for quite awhile. It fits perfectly too, Dumbledore was quite the dresser and his judgment and reluctance to fight Grindelwald makes even more sense now. Though I would assume those with problems with this lifestyle are going try very hard to say it dont make sense.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/50787

J.K. Rowling, author of the world-wide best-selling Harry Potter series, met some of her American fans Friday night and provided some surprising revelations about the fictional characters who a generation of children have come to regard as close friends.

In front of a full house of hardcore Potter fans at Carnegie Hall in New York, Rowling, sitting on the stage on a red velvet and carved wood throne, read from her seventh and final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," then took questions. One fan asked whether Albus Dumbledore, the head of the famed Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, had ever loved anyone. Rowling smiled. "Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling as the audience errupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book. After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonshed fans, Rowling added. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

In answer to the question "Did Hagrid marry?" Rowling replied that sadly, no. The half-giant had a flirtation with a giantess but she found him "a tad unsophisticated" and the relationship never went forward. In response to the audience's groans of dismay, Rowling said, jokingly, "O.K., I'll write another book." And when the audience continued to express disapproval added, "at least I didn't kill him."

Other minor characters, according to Rowling, came to happier ends. Neville Longbottom, Harry's meek and hapless classmate, married Hannah Abbott, another classmate.

--Peg Tyre
Old 10-20-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Dumbledore fell in love with Grindelwald, and that that added to his horror when Grindelwald showed himself to be what he was. To an extent, do we say it excused Dumbledore a little more because falling in love can blind us to an extend, but he met someone as brilliant as he was, and rather like Bellatrix he was very drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him. Yeah, that's how i always saw Dumbledore. In fact, recently I was in a script read through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script saying I knew a girl once, whose hair... [laughter]. I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, "Dumbledore's gay!" [laughter] "If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!"

In before the required post of I wish she just stop giving booknote info.
Old 10-20-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you actually read Deathly Hallows, note that--

Spoiler:
--The relationship between Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald lasted only a few months, until the untimely death of Ariana Dumbledore, Albus' younger sister. That caused a major rift between Albus and Gellert, and they became enemies afterwards.

That rift changed Dumbledore forever; he probably stopped having gay tendencies, and this was good reason why he always turned down the post of Minister of Magic, mostly because out of fear of his unfortunate past being revealed. If you look at Dumbledore's relationship with Harry Potter, it's more like a normal father-son relationship.
Old 10-20-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
She missed the Oct 11th deadline.
Old 10-20-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice. Now we'll be hearing nothing but backlash from the red states
Old 10-20-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Why? It's a book that teaches young people witchcraft. I can't imagine how having a closeted gay character could make it worse.
Old 10-20-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Did anyone else notice when Dumbledore had his friendship with Grindelwald? The wizard from England and the wizard from Germany decided that muggles couldn't take care of themselves in the early 1940s.
Old 10-20-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JayDerek
nice. Now we'll be hearing nothing but backlash from the red states
Yes, we're burning our HP books and movies this evening.
Old 10-23-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
...and let the jokes begin!

Old 10-23-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-23-07, 04:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nobody said a peep about the books until volume 4, when the first hints of an interracial romance were introduced between Potter and Cho Chang. "Coincidentally", that's when certain people started protesting the books as "satanic". This ought to push them right over the edge!
Old 10-23-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
adamblast,

That "fake" cover just made my day.

Too bad the cover didn't include a byline by Rita Skeeter....

Let's see how long before we see "fake" covers from Star, InTouch, National Enquirer, old-school New York Post, Us, The Onion and so on announcing this shocking news....

Last edited by RayChuang; 10-23-07 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 10-24-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
At least Dumbledore got outed with some dignity, and didn't get busted trying to blow an undercover Auror in The Three Broomsticks toilet.
Old 10-24-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I think it would've been more interesting if Harry was gay.
Old 10-24-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Brilliant cover!
Old 10-24-07, 11:12 AM

The fact that this made news is dumb. Who cares! A fictional character is gay. So!

Christ go find something important to report. This made the top headlines on almost every major news website. That's fucking sad.
Old 10-24-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Gives new meaning to "headmaster"
Old 10-24-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My God, o'Reilly is now pronouncing (though he proclaims to know nothing about the book series at all) that Rowling is pushing the gay agenda (you know the secret plan to indoctrinate everyone so that they can run for Senator in Idaho). Also saw an absolutely insane right winger on the Abrams report frothing at the mouth about how this was going to traumatize schoolchildren. Can't wait to hear what Coulter, Hannity and comedian Rush Limbaugh have to say about this ending civilization as we know it.
Old 10-25-07, 01:11 AM

that surprised me alot to find out he was Gay but thats cool because it makes a more realistic feel to the movies/books
Old 10-25-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...l?from=mostpop
PROUD Paul Croft got a tattoo of Harry Potter wizard Albus Dumbledore on his back but is now being teased by pals after he was outed as gay.
Proud Paul, 36, spent a year having the Hogwarts headmaster etched into his skin as a surprise for his five kids.

But the factory worker has been the butt of jokes ever since Harry Potter author JK Rowling revealed last week that Dumbledore was in love with a fellow male sorcerer.

Paul, of Nottingham, moaned yesterday: "It's been terrible. I've always liked Dumbledore - just not in that way.

"I went into work and everyone was s******ing.

W"hen I walked in, one of the lads said, 'Oi, Paul heard about Dumbledore?'

"There were wisecracks about 'Watch your backs, lads'. Someone asked me if I was planning to get a tattoo of Graham Norton. I thought, Why me?"

The huge $1200 tattoo shows Dumbledore holding a scroll bearing the names of his Harry Potter-mad children Charlotte, Deanna, Brandon, Tamzin and Paris.

Paul said: "It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The whole thing took nearly a year. I was really pleased with the result."

The tattoo is about 2ft in length and shows Dumbledore played by Richard Harris who was the original and best.

He insisted: "I don't regret it and Im not going to get rid of it."
Funny story, but it is sad that simple things like this can seriously change some people's opinions. I think it is neat for his kids and all, if not a little excessive, but that's not the point. Glad he's still comfortable with it because that would be a real shame.
Old 10-25-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if this mean WB will re-release the films UNRATED with scenes featuring dumbledore that were TO STEAMY FOR THEATERS?
Old 10-25-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm tired of her telling us all this information about the characters. If she intended all of this, she should've put it in the book. In a hundred years, the information people will go by is what's in the books, so all of this extra info is irrelevant.
Old 10-25-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drop
I'm tired of her telling us all this information about the characters. If she intended all of this, she should've put it in the book. In a hundred years, the information people will go by is what's in the books, so all of this extra info is irrelevant.
Can you not ignore it then?
Old 10-25-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
I agree.

I'm not upset about the character, that's fine by me. What IS upsetting is that Rowling didn't have the guts to mention this in any of the books and didn't even mention it in public until all the books had been released AND she got paid her royalties. It would have been interesting to see what the reaction had been had she, say, divulged this with the release of book 4 or 5.

She really should just have kept her mouth shut...if she didn't have the balls to say something before all the books were in release, she should have just kept it to herself. I'm sure if Dumbledore wanted to be "outed" he would have said something himself.

In slightly related news, George Lucas came out today to say that Yoda was gay, and shared a deep, meaningful relationship with Obi-wan Kenobi.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 10-25-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's just gross. Yoda was 800 years or so Obi-Wan's senior. Talk about robbing the cradle...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.