DVD Talk
PARENTS: What do you find most annoying about other PARENTS? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : PARENTS: What do you find most annoying about other PARENTS?

4KRG
10-19-07, 09:28 AM
It seems that Vib has missed one very critical question :) (childless people -ohbfrank- )

What about other parents annoys you?

For me?

It is the constant my kid is better than your kid
my kid was potty trained at 6 months old
my kid could walk at 6 months old
my kid could read A Tale of Two Cities at 14 months old
and then did a book report for it in the wall street journal at 15 months old

my kid is a star athlete
my kid is an A student

I mean, :lol: give it a rest. No one other than you and your family really cares :)

We all think our kids are great, but yours are not any better than anyone else's even if they walked early or learned how to read early.

Minor Threat
10-19-07, 09:29 AM
:mad:

Groucho
10-19-07, 09:30 AM
At this point, I'm just annoyed with the parents of parenting threads.

lotsofdvds
10-19-07, 09:30 AM
Most annoying: The fact that you don't do more to keep your kids' sexual organs away from my daughters.

Minor Threat
10-19-07, 09:32 AM
What do you expect when you live in "Pleasure Town"....?

4KRG
10-19-07, 09:32 AM
At this point, I'm just annoyed with the parents of parenting threads.

:lol: it had to be done, parents all find other parents annoying as hell, it is just no one says it ;)

lotsofdvds
10-19-07, 09:34 AM
What do you expect when you live in "Pleasure Town"....?
Crap, you're right!

TeamAnS
10-19-07, 09:34 AM
My problem is with other parents pushing their kids to fast, thus turning them into little pricks. For example, my son is 7. On his baseball team this past summer, there is one father who offered little praise for his kid let alone any other. All he did was critic every kid on the team. One of the last games of the year, my wife overheard him talk about kids they don't want on their little league team next year. Remember, these kids will be 8 and in third grade. Through a little investigation, my wife found out that the team the father was referring to was packed with a-hole parents that push their kids to win, instead of playing to have fun. I understand that my son is not the best player by far, but if he has fun and enjoys playing, then I am happy.

Bandoman
10-19-07, 09:56 AM
When other parents don't discipline their children, it makes it more difficult for me when I have to discpline mine. I've had some recent issues with my 15-year-old (he's a good kid but did something really stupid), and the kids he got in trouble with got a light slap on the wrist when I grounded my son for a month. I don't think I overreacted, and the fact that his friends' parents "didn't think it was a big deal" has made it much harder for me to teach my son that what he did was wrong.

4KRG
10-19-07, 10:10 AM
My problem is with other parents pushing their kids to fast,

When other parents don't discipline their children,

I agree and have seen both of these as well, ANNOYING!

Who are these parents? and what are they thinking?

(he's a good kid but..)

-ohbfrank-

:lol:

Talkin2Phil
10-19-07, 10:21 AM
Agree with the “my kid is a genius” talk and parents pushing the kids to achieve and not letting them to be themselves. Every toy and activity is for learning and development. My co-worker’s child is in pre-K, these days to get into a “good” kindergarten you need a certain skill set and pass some amplitude test, she is constantly doing flashcards to get her ready. The other day her child told her “are we doing homework again?” She’s only 4 and is already turning off to learn?

covenant
10-19-07, 10:54 AM
and pass some amplitude test,

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/WAVELEN.GIF

PrincessT
10-19-07, 11:24 AM
My problem with other parents: when they try to force their ignorance on me.

What I appreciate from other parents (namely my brother): holding his tongue and me holding mine when we disagree on parenting techniques

Thought I'd add a positive in there.

WallyOPD
10-19-07, 11:28 AM
In my experience, far too many kids pass the amplitude test. :(

4KRG
10-19-07, 12:01 PM
In my experience, far too many kids pass the amplitude test. :(

Yes, but many of them are one oscillation away from failure

Kittydreamer
10-19-07, 12:27 PM
People that stick their kids in front of the tv or with video games all day because they're too lazy to do anything with them.

Bandoman
10-19-07, 12:55 PM
People that stick their kids in front of the tv or with video games all day because they're too lazy to do anything with them.

She didn't mention the computer or iPod! :banana:

Hiro11
10-19-07, 01:09 PM
1. Parents who overschedule their kids.
2. Parents who use their kids to fulfill their own personal unfulfilled dreams.
3. Parents who teach don't respect their kids ability to make up their own minds about things. These parents are always giving lectures on "how the world is" in their opinion and never let the kids get a word in edgewise.
4. Parents who see their kids as priority #2 or lower. They refuse to believe that it's not all about themselves.
5. Parents who give their kids an overinflated ego (self confidence is one thing, thinking you're literally a Prince/Princess is another) and don't teach them to respect adults.

Less annoying, more laughable:
1. Parents who buy expensive clothes for kids, wipe warmers and $800 strollers.
2. Parents who buy gargantuan SUVs to shepherd their only child around.
3. Parents who teach their kids about brands and start infecting them with the "consume or die" meme at
age 2.

Iron Chef
10-19-07, 01:19 PM
La Leche militants.

It's amazing how 1 person can destroy the perception of a group of people.

We were approached by one of these people in a restaurant last month when were feeding our son. We adopted him, and we feed him formula (for obvious reasons). My wife simply told the woman that this wasn't her issue, and she really had no idea what our situation is.

Other than that, honor roll bumper stickers.

Jadzia
10-19-07, 01:20 PM
Parents who do not pay attention to their small children. They just stick them in a stroller/bouncy seat/playpen/crib whatever and just go about their business and ignore the kid. While those items can be useful and have a purpose, I see them overused way too much. Small children need human contact and interaction and it always makes me sad when I see a baby being ignored because the parent is too busy to even talk to them.

Iron Chef
10-19-07, 01:21 PM
Parents who do not pay attention to their small children. They just stick them in a stroller/bouncy seat/playpen/crib whatever and just go about their business and ignore the kid. While those items can be useful and have a purpose, I see them overused way too much. Small children need human contact and interaction and it always makes me sad when I see a baby being ignored because the parent is too busy to even talk to them.

that too

CKMorpheus
10-19-07, 01:31 PM
I'm not a parent (thankfully) but the question reminded me of a Scrubs bit:

[a woman with her son comes over to Dr. Cox and Jordan and starts talking to their son, Jack]
Woman: Hi, cutie! Since you have so many balls, and too many toys can be overstimulating for an infant, Brantley here was wondering if he could borrow one to play with.
Dr. Cox: Oh, that’s funny, because Jack here was just wondering why the crazy lady who just spent the last hour chain-smoking and talking on her cell phone while her kid ate sand, would come over to two complete strangers and give them parenting advice.
Jordan: Oh, he also thanked me for not naming him Brantley.
Dr. Cox: Yeah.

JasonF
10-19-07, 01:42 PM
My problem is with other parents pushing their kids to fast

I agree. Kids need noursihment and shouldn't be going without food.

al_bundy
10-19-07, 02:18 PM
1. Parents who overschedule their kids.
2. Parents who use their kids to fulfill their own personal unfulfilled dreams.
3. Parents who teach don't respect their kids ability to make up their own minds about things. These parents are always giving lectures on "how the world is" in their opinion and never let the kids get a word in edgewise.
4. Parents who see their kids as priority #2 or lower. They refuse to believe that it's not all about themselves.
5. Parents who give their kids an overinflated ego (self confidence is one thing, thinking you're literally a Prince/Princess is another) and don't teach them to respect adults.

Less annoying, more laughable:
1. Parents who buy expensive clothes for kids, wipe warmers and $800 strollers.
2. Parents who buy gargantuan SUVs to shepherd their only child around.
3. Parents who teach their kids about brands and start infecting them with the "consume or die" meme at
age 2.

the $800 stroller is for the parent, not the child

the cheapo version is $800, the new hot version is $1000. acessories are extra

and that's what grandparents are for. to buy you expensive strollers and cribs

andicus
10-19-07, 02:53 PM
Parents that put their kids in 20 different activities/sports etc., and then bitch and moan that they don't have time to do this or that because they're always running their kids here and there.

Also, when they find out your kid is only in a few things a year, they look at you like you're a child abuser.

atlantamoi
10-19-07, 02:53 PM
I agree. Kids need noursihment and shouldn't be going without food. :lol: Nice catch.